IGNORED

Calling All Firefighters!

jbr7t

Firefight911
It's a bad day up here!

LINKY

No deaths, thank God!!!

This has been determined as deliberate. Investigation in progress.

3 of the 4 brothers are still hospitalized for their injuries.

LINKY

Here is the latest info, as provided by the Interim Fire Chief with Sac. City FD -

As most of you already know, this morning at 0956 hours 4 Firefighters from Engine and Truck 6 A were injured in an explosion. The 4 FF's are:

Scott McKinney, Jeff Coats, Mike Feyh, and Dave Stork. Dave has already been released and will recover over the next few days at home. The

other 3 are being admitted to the UCD Burn Unit for burn and respiratory treatment. All the family members have been notified and are on scene

at UCD. The FF Burn Institute has made all the arrangements for family accommodations and support. 522 has put together a schedule of people

to stay overnight with our injured brothers. We will be putting together a visiting schedule for tomorrow. All the firefighters are

heavily medicated and trying to get some sleep. A Serious Accident Review Team is being assembled and an investigation into the

contributing factors will be conducted. An Arson Investigation is also under way.

I want to take this time to thank everyone for their adherence to the no communication order immediately following the accident. We were

successful in notifying the family members with accurate information and arranging transport if needed. It is very helpful when we can do this.

Put yourself in the shoes of your family and how they would like for communication involving you to be relayed. Thank you again for showing

the restraint and common courtesy in this event.

There is a lot of Monday morning quarterbacking going on, and that is natural. However, be very careful about jumping to conclusions. Let

the SART process run its course and provide us with an accurate assessment of what happened. If there are lessons to learn, we will

share them.

Please keep our involved brothers(including the uninjured) in your thoughts and prayers. Your support has already been phenomenal, as

always. We will be in touch with further updates as we get them.

Take care,

Lloyd Ogan

Deputy Fire Chief,

Operations Section

Sacramento Fire Department

That is definetly not how you want to start your morning. We'll keep the guys in our prayers and certainly hope everyone heals quickly.

Firefight911

Blue sheet is out -

This Preliminary Summary Report is intended as an aid in accident prevention, and to provide factual information from the first 24 hours of the accident review. To that end it is published and distributed within a short time frame. Information contained within may be subject to revision as further investigation is conducted, and other reports and documents are received.

SYNOPSIS

On the morning of Monday, July 5, 2010, two companies assigned to a natural gas leak in a residence with possible occupants inside, experienced a sudden and violent explosion while attempting to gain entry into the structure. The explosion injured four firefighters with three firefighters being admitted to the UCD Burn Unit for burn and respiratory treatment.

NARRATIVE

At 0947 hours on July 5, 2010 BC2, E6, T6 and E56 were dispatched to 3820 25thAve for an odor of gas. T6 was first on scene at 0951 hours and reported a strong odor of gas from the reported address. T6 immediately turned the gas off at the meter and the electricity off at the house panel. E6 arrived on scene at 0952 hours and pulled the 200’ 1 ¾” pre-connect. BC2 was advised that E6 and T6 can handle and to cancel the balance.

Truck 6’s Saw Firefighter and Tool Firefighter were forcing entry into the front door of the structure located on the B-side of the building while Engine 6’s Nozzle Firefighter and Back-up Firefighter were positioning the 1¾ “ pre-connect to the front door. At approximately 0956 hours there was an explosion from the reported address resulting in fire and partial collapse of the structure. A mayday was called and a request to balance the call to full alarm structure response with additional medics was made. E56 was still in the area and immediately returned to the scene and extinguished the remaining fire. Crews from E56, E6 and T6 helped with treatment of the four injured firefighters.

The Nozzle Firefighter from E6 was transported C3 to UCD by Medic 19 with first and second degree burns to his face, neck and hands. The Back-up Firefighter from E6 was transported C2 to UCD by Medic 5 with first-degree burns to his cheeks and hands. The Saw Firefighter from T6 was transported C3 to UCD by Medic 6 with first and second degree burns to his face and hands. The Tool Firefighter from T6 was transported C3 to UCD by Medic 10 with first and second degree burns to his face and hands. Three other crew members in the immediate hazard area were blown away from the structure by the explosion, but did not suffer reported injuries. All crew members were wearing full turnouts and SCBA packs. They had not yet donned their face pieces or gloves

RECOMMENDATIONS FOR IMMEDIATE CORRECTIVE ACTIONS

 Maintain situational awareness at all times while conducting fire ground tasks.

 Insure all personnel utilize appropriate PPE at all times.

• 1 month later...
skinny_tom (aka boney)
Anyone going to the Annual IAFF Memorial in Colorado Springs? This year it's on September 11th. Leslie and I will be driving out on the 8th (two days) and leaving on the 14th. There's more info here:

http://www.iaff.org/hs/ffm/thisyear/index.aspx

I'm tempted, as I could sign up and probably get sent at no cost by my local, but instead, I'll enjoy my anniversary with Gabby somewhere a long ways away from anything firefighter. No disrespect intended, I'm sure everyone understands.

• 1 month later...
Well, this is just FANTASTIC!!!!!

From a cop perspective.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

LINKY

All workplace safe. Enjoy!!!!!

Very clever.

Now they need to make one where everyone decides they need transport 30 minutes after they first refused treatment, but 5 minutes after they remember all those personal injury commercials they watched on TV.

• 2 weeks later...
Firefight911

Just too close to home! Our neighboring agency.

LINKY

We know nothing at this point other than this firefighter has fought his last fire. He passed away from an M.I.

May his family and fellow co-workers all find a way to work through this difficult time. Rest in Peace brother! Rest in peace.

Condolences from San Diego. :cry:

On October 1st we lost Rick Pascall, age 49, 17 years of service at San Miguel L-1434, lost his 2 year battle with job-related Melanoma. He is survived by his wife Kristen and son Ryan. Services are October 17th.

I'm heading up to Sacramento on the 16th for the California Professional Firefighters State Memorial Ceremony and then rushing back to play with the Pipes and Drums for Rick.

Last month we lost Jim Owen of the Orange County Fire Authority L-3631, age 56, 30 yrs of service. He collapsed of fatal heart attack on the training ground September 16th. He is survived by his wife Sharon and sons Jim Jr., Daniel, and Kevin.

All the talking heads who want to blame firefighters' pensions for all the ills of the world should come with me to a few funerals and look at the statistics. We don't live long enough on average to recoup the pensions we've fought for.

Rest In Peace, my brothers. Your watch has ended and we thank you for your service. We'll take it from here. :cry:

"Omnes domum redeunt"

• 2 weeks later...

This is what some call, "a career fire."

LINKY

Partial roof collapse, potential IED still inside, inside fire having to be fought from outside.

Roseville Galleria will be closed for a while!

This is what some call, "a career fire."

LINKY

Partial roof collapse, potential IED still inside, inside fire having to be fought from outside.

Roseville Galleria will be closed for a while!

Phil, is that the historic district you showed me & said would be a firefighters nightmare?

No. This is a very modern mall about 45 miles from us.

Thanks, Phil. The area you showed me took me back to the High Noon days. I'd hate for y'all to lose that.

but I did stay at a Holiday Inn once...

MB>

+1

And & couple of real dumps along the way also! :D Next time we camp for sure. :thumbsup:

Some dramatic & graphic video of my neighboring city's firefighters risking it all.

Pat

skinny_tom (aka boney)
but I did stay at a Holiday Inn once...

MB>

+1

And & couple of real dumps along the way also! :D Next time we camp for sure. :thumbsup:

Some dramatic & graphic video of my neighboring city's firefighters risking it all.

Pat

THat's awesome.

Here's what I got up early for the other morning:

You're looking at the delta side of the building. Front is to the left of the video. Our interior attack was stopped at the top of the stairs on the second floor. There was too much fire for 3 hose lines on the second floor and we could see up the stairwell that it was burning freely on the stairs and floors above us. Not long after the decision was made to back out, the interior stairwell collapsed.

Here's another view:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGkh_EjhhLM

Tom, the second ladder seems like it would have limited room to deploy it's outriggers. Are the trucks designed to be able to operate at less than full deployment? And if so, is the ladder height and angle limited under these conditions?

skinny_tom (aka boney)

I didn't notice that Ed. I can see from the video that it looks like it may be short jacked, but the downtown truck companies are masters at getting the aerials up. If indeed it isn't fully deployed then yes, height and angle are limited.

Danny caddyshack Noonan

Some (insert appropriate ADVRIDER word here), named Mike Ward, wrote a letter to the editor of the Bee that the response was weak and overly cautious "Millions of dollars in damage occurred while they sat back and worried about the possibility of a bomb in the building".

It still doesn't cease to amaze me that the most ignorant of the populace seem to write and scream the most.

Good job guys! You went home at the end of the shift and can report back for your next one.

Some (insert appropriate ADVRIDER word here), named Mike Ward, wrote a letter to the editor of the Bee that the response was weak and overly cautious "Millions of dollars in damage occurred while they sat back and worried about the possibility of a bomb in the building".

It still doesn't cease to amaze me that the most ignorant of the populace seem to write and scream the most.

Good job guys! You went home at the end of the shift and can report back for your next one.

That's OK. There are a couple infallible truths at play here;

The Sac Bee will never print anything in support of the firefighting profession,

This same individual would write the exact opposite letter had the tactics pushed them in to the fire and someone had gotten hurt or killed. He would then have stated how it was cavalier and egotistical to put firefighters in harms way,

and, finally,you'll never please everyone.

Best response is to let it go and/or maybe forward a couple fatality reports to him. Arm chair quarterbacking from someone who most likely has never held a straight stream or a fog nozzle in his hands.

Not quite as dramatic as Lowell's fire last week but, we were the first company on scene at this one last night. I'll check to see if any pics show up.

The big one for Tewksbury happened back in 1972.

Pat

Not quite as dramatic as Lowell's fire last week but, we were the first company on scene at this one last night. I'll check to see if any pics show up.

1065494993_uBBUn-M.jpg

1065503560_kh8Ss-M.jpg

1065498591_MoVi7-M.jpg

1065518688_KQ7JS-M.jpg

Pat

Some fires should be left to burn:

Talk about committed...

Wow, I guess little town fire departments aren't all that bad! :eek:

Hey, look what's coming our way in a few weeks! :thumbsup:

SeagraveE1.jpg

Pat

• 2 weeks later...

Our new tanker arrived today. Not ready for service yet. It will be off to the welder for a large pipe bumper for the front, and possibly the rear. Radios, a backup camera, some additional lights, as well some additional plumbing will complete the package.

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

• 1 month later...

Buried a good one today. Chief Dan Wandell

Dan was my dad's boyhood friend, they remained close until my dads passing in July. He was also my father-in-law & probably the main influence on me to go after the best job in the world. I can't say enough about the guy to do him justice. He was a great man.

Pat

It was a very, very bad day for the Chicago Fire Department today: two dead, seventeen injured in a roof collapse. There were reports that squatters were living in the burning vacant building, the firefighters went in to search, and apparently the bow string truss roof and a wall collapsed.

I turned on the TV this morning to see a scene as chilling as anything since 9/11: hundreds of firefighters digging through bricks by hand frantically searching for trapped colleagues:

58406624.jpg

Ironically, today was the 100th anniversary of the Stock Yards Fire in which 21 Chicago firefighters were killed, the deadliest building collapse for firefighters until 9/11.

Also ironically, the father of our current fire commissioner, a CFD battalion chief, was himself killed in a building collapse almost 50 years ago just a few blocks from today's fire.

Dan was my dad's boyhood friend, they remained close until my dads passing in July. He was also my father-in-law & probably the main influence on me to go after the best job in the world. I can't say enough about the guy to do him justice. He was a great man.

Pat

Sorry to hear the sad news.

Pat

My condolences to you and yours.

• 5 months later...

Hey guys! Looks like I'll be back on 2 wheels Tuesday! Sorry I've been gone so long, I tried keeping up with the board for awhile, but then it got depressing. Reading everyones great ride story's and all the events going on then looking outside and seeing only 4wheel vehicles :( But, so long as my deal goes thru, I will be the proud owner of a 95 1100 GS on tuesday. And hopefully soon I'll be able to afford another RT.

As for FD things are steady here in Henrico, VA. This March marked my 6 year anniversary with the county and as a professional fireman...it has flown by!

TEWKS..KMG365 message me your address' and tshirt size. We finally..yes after over a year and a half..got the new station tshirts and I know I owe both of you a shirt.

Dang! :cry:

I was just updating our Line Of Duty Death list since our last meeting for the Agenda for tomorrow's meeting. I'll add Brother Perez to our list and we will honor his memory tomorrow.

Rest in Peace, Brother. :cry:

Perez, Vincent 6/02/2011 Fire/Flashover (San Francisco) L0798 Lieutenant

Moore, Kevin 5/31/2011 Heart Attack (Pasadena) L0809 Engineer

Nelson, Brent T. 5/31/2011 Cancer: Colon (Tinker AFB, OK) LF211 Captain

Lange, Thomas J. 5/20/2011 Cancer: Liver (Pittsfield, MA) L2647 Fire Inspector

Krpan, Michael: 5/19/2011 Non-Hodgkin’s Lymphoma (Thunder Bay, Ontario) L0193 Fire Fighter

Birt, Jeffrey A. 5/06/2011 Cancer: Esophageal (Seattle) L0027 Fire Fighter/EMT

Lynn, Scott M. 5/04/2011 Heart Attack (CDF Firefighters) L2881 Captain

Harris, Gregory L. 4/22/2011 Hemorrhaging (Metro Dade, FL) L1403 Driver/Operator

Zavaleta, Hank 4/22/2011 Cancer: Brain (Long Beach) L0372 Captain

Bollon, Vincent J. 3/28/2011 Cancer: Other (New York) L0854 Lieutenant

• 2 months later...
30 years MDFR Battalion Chief Recently retired. Now its BMW time!!! Hi Woody!

Congrats on the retirement! So..if you live in Florida where do you retire too? haha..sorry could't resist.

Did eight years as a basic EMT & can say seeing the medic truck that would intercept us on the way to the hospital was a most welcomed sight. Up, you're good! :)

Pat

That was a very sure answer Jb :wave: . Out of four generations I am the first to not be in hte fireservice. On my fathers side my greatgrandfather was a fireman, my grandfather was a chief and my father was a captain. I just never felt the pull to fire service, but I love the medicine of EMS. My father told me when I was growing up there were only three occupations he would disown me for:

Lawyer, LEO and paramedic.

2 out of 3 to me is not that bad.

It's been said you can make a firefighter a paramedic, but you can't make a paramedic a firefighter!

But hey, it's all about helping people! In my department we are fire and ems..however I'm just a lowly emt-b. The ems is ok (great when the patient truly needs us..its all the BS that burns you out) but definitely prefer the fire side.

Do you work for Raleigh?

------

James

'04 R1150R

- i've never been lost..only temporarily misplaced -

'04 R1150RT - SOLD

'03 Nighthawk 750 - SOLD

If at first you don't succeed, find a bigger hammer!

Pics? :thumbsup:

Pat

Archived