IGNORED

Calling All Firefighters!

jbr7t

I know there are a number of us on this board. Just thought I'd start up a topic to see who we've got.

I'm with Henrico Fire, Henrico County Virginia. Been on 3.5 years now and volunteered for 4 prior to that. www.iaff1568.org

I'm also one of those squirrely guys that likes to trade shirts and/or patches (I'm currently out of patches as the county is redesigning our patch but hopefully have some soon)..so if anybody's interested let me know.

Maybe as a break from whether or not RT's pull to the right a rousing discussion on Smooth Bore, Fog Nozzles, and Vindicators is in order???? :dopeslap: Don't everybody jump on my non motorcycle related forum at once...HAHA

I thought we already had too many FF types here . . . or maybe it's just that some of them POST waaaay too much . . . present company (except Phil) excluded of course! :grin:

Thanks for cool the T-Shirt, BTW! :)

You are welcome..thank you as well.

I told my Capt. that if we got motorcycle paramedics like some localities are going to I would be the first in line to sign up for paramedic class. But until that happens it's gonna take more to talk me into it.

Firefight911
I thought we already had too many FF types here . . . or maybe it's just that some of them POST waaaay too much . . . present company (except Phil) excluded of course! :grin:

Thanks for cool the T-Shirt, BTW! :)

:/:/

This little cape kicked a$$ & took names. I was on the pump that night so after charging the lines, I took a few pictures.

378570-R1-057-27_008.jpg

These two guys were on the second floor when it flashed on them, knocking them down the stairway. I seriously thought I witnessed them

buying the farm.

378570-R1-053-25_007.jpg

Surveying the scene at dawn & calling for a line to hit some hot spots.

378570-R1-041-19_001.jpg

Appointed June 12, 1995. One of the best days of my life. :thumbsup:

Pat

Ok, today is my first day riding in charge of the engine. In our department you can be cut loose as an "Acting Officer" at your 4 year anniversary. As I am approaching that I'm going through the acting training program. Anyway..so far I've told my driver to make one wrong turn, forgetten to turn the siren off at the scene, and left my radio strap hanging on the outside of the engine!!! What a day..and the night is young.

I'm really not an idiot in real life! :dopeslap:

Firefight911

Just remember, you get to be an idiot on your first fire that you are the Acting Captain and roll in first due.

DEEP breath and slowwwwwwwwwwww down! Remember, it's not YOUR emergency, you're just there to mitigate it. Afterall, if a firefighter has an emergency, who's he gonna call?????

RECEOVS, LOUVERS, LCES, etc. And remember, no matter what your crew makes you and you have one job, send them home safely to their families.

Ok, today is my first day riding in charge of the engine. In our department you can be cut loose as an "Acting Officer" at your 4 year anniversary. As I am approaching that I'm going through the acting training program. Anyway..so far I've told my driver to make one wrong turn, forgetten to turn the siren off at the scene, and left my radio strap hanging on the outside of the engine!!! What a day..and the night is young.

Thats not all......he forgot to pull his pants up

UNrally_07-019_Print.jpg

:grin: Congrats on the added responsibility at work........I blame the mishaps on stress added by you not having a motorcycle in your driveway. You should remedy that.......you deserve one

Well it looks like I have to leave the state in order for my department to get a structure fire: Link.

I was supposed to be on duty today, but instead I took the shift off to go to Las Vegas to attend the International Association of Fire Fighters (IAFF) Convention . . . it just figures. :/

But for my fellow IAFF brothers/sisters out there: the 2010 IAFF Convention will be held in San Diego and I've got guest rooms at the house as well as an R1150RT to loan, as I'm sure I'll be pretty damned busy during the convention.

I've had that happen to me one time. For a while we had a guy that missed almost all the fires on his shift while he was on vacation.(I think about eight) :dopeslap: Everyone wanted to fill for him. :clap:

Did you run into any Tewksbury guys in Vegas?

Pat

Thats not all......he forgot to pull his pants up

UNrally_07-019_Print.jpg

:grin: Congrats on the added responsibility at work........I blame the mishaps on stress added by you not having a motorcycle in your driveway. You should remedy that.......you deserve one

How did I know this picture would show itself at the most appropriate of times.

Well in conclusion to the first day acting...got off at 7am at 730 the working fire page came in. Called back to the station later to talk to the B-shift guys that were on duty after us. Apparently the fire started about 5am and a neigber didn't call it in till after 7 when they were out walking the dog. Just my luck...it coulda been mine!!

Anyway, thanks for the well wishes. It is going better now...got the butterflies gone that first day. And Keith, I'm working on the bike in the driveway. Going to pick up the R75 Saturday.

Well it looks like I have to leave the state in order for my department to get a structure fire: Link.

I was supposed to be on duty today, but instead I took the shift off to go to Las Vegas to attend the International Association of Fire Fighters (IAFF) Convention . . . it just figures. :/

But for my fellow IAFF brothers/sisters out there: the 2010 IAFF Convention will be held in San Diego and I've got guest rooms at the house as well as an R1150RT to loan, as I'm sure I'll be pretty damned busy during the convention.

Sign me up..I'm gonna start checking my calendar!

Did you run into any Tewksbury guys in Vegas?

Hi Pat! No, not that I've seen so far (there are well over 3000 delegates and guests here), but I'll keep my eyes peeled and go looking! BTW, Leslie packed my Tewksbury FD T-Shirt that I'll wear proudly for you here in Vegas.

Sign me up..I'm gonna start checking my calendar!

In regards to the IAFF and motorcycling I just had a stroke . . . I would like to say "of genius", but we'll see how it pans out! :grin:

In August of 2004 at the IAFF's biennial Convention in Boston, MA the IAFF formed an IAFF Motorcycle Group. I checked it out but it seemed there was nothing at all for me or the type of riding I enjoy to be found there. I'm here in Las Vegas at the 49th biennial Convention looking at the two donated Harley's being raffled off and I'm getting thoughts. These two bikes are BEAUTIFUL--painted in Fire Engine Red and air brushed with flames and customized for the Fire Service . . . yet, I'm looking at these bikes and thinking "Well, I might buy a ticket to support the charity the proceeds are going to, but I would likely re-donate the bike if I won it as it doesn't do the kind of riding I like to do". Now don't get me wrong, I have nothing against HD, in fact IF they made a decent Sport-Touring mount I'd happily BUY one! . . . but IMNSHO they don't, so . . . what to do? Well, here's what:

I want to form an IAFF SportTouring Motorcycle Group!

I know they push for "North American Union Made" motorcycles which supports the Union goal, but as I said, Harley doesn't make a Sport Touring bike.

Secondly, I find it EVEN LESS in keeping with the IAFF's push for Firefighter safety and wellness, good gear and training to see them pushing for this "H-D lifestyle" image that goes hand-in-hand with the H-D "free spirit"/"bad boy" image of guys in T-shirts and jeans, leather vests, plastic yarmulke's/beanie's and no focus on riding skills and better technology. You wouldn't see the IAFF advocating going into a burning building in street clothes!! I wear the "uniform" appropriate to the job when on the job and if I'm going into a reported "ringing alarm" or even "structure fire" I dress for the worst case scenario--regardless if it is needed on most occasions. I fail to see the difference here.

I've got two years to get this group up and running to bring a motion to the floor in San Diego to make it official, but even if we have to do it unofficially, I would like to see an opportunity for another option for our firefighting brethren to get together and put some miles on together.

Who's with me? :D

Would this be an affinity group of like minded enthusiasts or would it be to serve some purpose w/i IAFF?

Firefight911

Would this be an affinity group of like minded enthusiasts or would it be to serve some purpose w/i IAFF?

Do you even KNOW the secret handshake???? :grin::grin:

Hey Pat . . . Joe Kearns is here but I haven't found him yet.

If I were a betting man.. :/ I'd find where the beer is served & you'll find Joe. (after the days business is over of course) :grin:

Pat

Do you even KNOW the secret handshake???? :grin::grin:

Actually, I was referring to what Jamie posted Schmedly..., trying to learn something about you guys. Go play with your hose Phil and let the grown ups talk... :wave:

Tell Gary I said hey if you run into him again. I'm pretty sure our VP and Pres are there too. VP-Jackson Baynard and Pres- Jimmy Hughes. Any don't you guys have too much fun out there.

As for the motorcycle group.. sounds like a great idea. I have looked at a number of the Firefighter motorcycle clubs. It seems that they are all bikes, beer and party kinda clubs. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy all three of those, just not at the same time!! So I am definetly with you. I've never done anything like this but I am willing to help however I can. I could certainly be your East Coast contact or whatever. Just let me know what I can do!

Good question, actually.

I gave some thought to joining up initially--and even could have been a "Charter Member", but after reading the section in the Bylaws:

Each member is encouraged to buy and own a North American made motorcycle that is built with UNION labor employed by a North American owned and operated company as recognized by the IAFF-MG Committee. While owning North American made motorcycles was not mandated by resolution 35 of the 2004 IAFF Convention body, ownership of a UNION made motorcycle reflects the values of the IAFF-MG and the IAFF.

Okay, so it's not required, and many of the parts on today's Harleys are made in Japan and elsewhere . . . after looking at the pictures of chrome, eagles and T-shirts, and reading up on the whole "colors" rigmarole . . . I realized it wouldn't be a fit for me. But as far as their philosophy for why the group exists, that part was fine:

It is the goal and general philosophy of the IAFF-MG to promote fraternalism amongst our ranks and take direction from the International Association of Fire Fighters.

We will continue to grow in the spirit and numbers, which provides the opportunity for increased camaraderie and benevolence between active and retired professional Fire Fighters, EMS or rescue squad personnel. IAFF-MG events are intended to promote safe activities that will appeal to the membership as a whole. Any member may suggest ideas for events. The IAFF-MG is intended for IAFF MEMBERS, active or retired, who enjoy motorcycles.

Well the Motorcycle Group had a meeting this morning before we got started and I sat in. Only about a dozen or so guys were there and they were your typical sort. I chimed in that San Diego was hosting the next Convention in 2010 and I could hook them up with 100's of miles of fun, twisty rides. I told them about the 343 mile ride I've done in the past from the beach over the mountains to the desert and back. The ride is a minimum of 343 miles--one for each of our brothers lost in New York City on September 11th--and over 250 of those miles are TWISTY! It ends at Ft. Rosecrans military cemetery as the sun is setting over the water and the white gravestones of our other fallen heroes turn orange as night falls.

35983978_Pw4dJ-L.jpg

More pics of the 343 Mile Remembrance Rides here.

It is a pretty awesome ride if I do say so myself and a few of our members here have joined Leslie and me for this ride previously. Well this guy with the gravelly voice barely waits for me to finish and says what he has in mind is an 80-90 mile ride starting about 11:00 am on Sunday with at least three beer stops. Okay, then. Well I'll be happy to help you guys out however I can, but I'm afraid I'll be otherwise engaged that morning and won't be able to join you. :/

I thought I could just send everyone interested to this site, but most of the rides the IAFF-MG would do are community/charity fund-raiser type rides for the Burn Institute or cancer research or helping disabled kids, Muscular Dystrophy, etc.,. I know that our guidelines here allow charity RIDES, as long as there is a ride component attached that anyone can join in on, but it sort of defeats the purpose of an IAFF Sport Touring Motorcycle Group if it is open to all comers.

But you raise a good point--why limit it? I guess I wouldn't be able to run it under the auspices of the IAFF anyway since none of the fire types that I know who SportTour are likely going to want/wear "colors" on our (fringed) black leather vests and comply with the rest of the stipulations:

COLORS

Colors shall be defined as all patches and insignias issued to members by the IAFF-MG as listed in the article. The Colors of the IAFF-MG are our flag, and as such will be treated with the same respect given to the American or Canadian flag. The Colors and insignias shall be trademarked and are the property of the IAFF. The following rules are established for the proper handling of the Colors:

1. IAFF-MG Colors will be treated with respect at all times.

2. Only full members shall wear the colors on any garment.

3. Colors will only be affixed to a black leather vest or black leather jacket. If a jacket is used, all below placement of “vest” patches apply to the jacket equally.

4. Colors will never be washed.

5. Colors are to be worn as the outermost garment and are not to be obstructed in any way, regardless of weather.

6. Colors will be worn at all IAFF-MG functions, gatherings, runs and sanctioned events.

7. When removal of the Colors is necessary, the member must yield them to another full member for security until he can re-secure them.

8. At no time will a member place the Colors in a face down position.

9. At no time will the colors touch the ground unless the member is wearing them.

10. Colors will never be yielded to non-members.

11. If a member is suspended or granted a leave of absence, his/her Colors are to be turned over to the IAFF-MG District Event Coordinator.

12. If a member is terminated his/her Colors are to be surrendered immediately to a district Event Coordinator who will then surrender them to the IAFF-MG “Property Master”.

Maybe I'll just see what interest there is in SportTouring amongst fire guys, post the rides here and just send everyone here for more info and open the rides up to anyone who wants to hang out with a bunch of "hose jockeys". :grin:

So thanks, Matt. And don't worry about Phil . . . his bark is far worse than his bite. Besides, he would actually have to SHOW UP to bite you anyway! :grin:

I know there are a number of us on this board. Just thought I'd start up a topic to see who we've got...

Hi everyone. Been a while since I've checked this site. =o

Full time FireFighter/Paramedic in the suburbs of Detroit.

Fire: 7 years full time

EMS: 18.5 years full time with the last 14 years as Paramedic.

Jamie,

I think we could certainly do it outside the IAFF but with still the same goals in mind. I am going to check around with some guys I know if VA and see who is interested. I know quite a few that tour and do more than just bar hop on there bikes. One of the guys from our tech rescue team did a solo 2 month trip up thru the yukon last year. But if you are up for leading the way, I'm up for playing follow the leader and helping out!

I'm more afraid Phil will fall on my and hurt himself again. :grin::/

That sounds like an interesting ride Jamie, I'd be interested in doing that one just to see it.

I'm no FF, but have some very close friends that are (including Phil!) so I've always had a more than casual interest. I was more curious about trying to serve a purpose for proposing alternative platforms for the moto-mounted responders or not, etc.

Seems like good stuff to me.

Firefight911
And don't worry about Phil . . . his bark is far worse than his bite. Besides, he would actually have to SHOW UP to bite you anyway! :grin:

We'll talk about that at Richard's . . . oh, never mind, you canceled! We could have talked about it at the N. Cal. Tech Daze . . . oh, never mind, you canceled!

Go ahead Pot, Kettle's got yer back!

"Colors"?!?!?!?! WTF, this ain't some Sean Penn Hollywood movie!

200px-Colors_film.jpg

Oh, the mentality! I've got a couple guys at work who insist on Tevas, tank tops, and skull caps with 20+ years of experience and exposure to the results so this would be a hard road to say the least.

Let's just do our own thing.

• 2 weeks later...

Are we going to have much of a FF showing at the Blue Ridge Rendezvous? I'll be there, anybody else??

P.S. Jamie- I tried to send you a PM and your box is full. It's about that thing we aren't allowed to talk about on here. :grin: Les-please don't kick my butt! :eek:

Firefight911

Crap! Me too. One more week of off duty and I get to go back hopefully!

LINKY

Crap! Me too. One more week of off duty and I get to go back hopefully!

LINKY

Are you sure you still remember the way to the station? (or have it stored away in your GPS.) :grin:

Seriously though...hope you get the all clear from the doctor. :thumbsup:

Firefight911
I would go FRIGGIN nuts with that much injury leave. Good luck, Hope you get cleared soon!

Hurt on June 1. Went nuts on June 2!!!!

Are you sure you still remember the way to the station? (or have it stored away in your GPS.) :grin:

Getting there is the least of my worries. Wait til I ask 'em where the keys to the Fire Engine are!!! :grin:

(For those that don't know, fire engines/trucks do not have keys) :/

skinny_tom (aka boney)

Hey Phil, I've been keeping the seat warm for you. Getting a lot of engineering time lately.

Here's my baby:

2769307948_2c1146296b_b.jpg

OK quiz time, what kind of pumping capability does that rig have?

MB>

I'm guessing 1,500 gpm, but in any case, I'm betting it doesn't quite match the capacity of the Pheonix or the Guardian. :eek:

skinny_tom (aka boney)
OK quiz time, what kind of pumping capability does that rig have?

MB>

You asking me?

It'll do 1500 GPM or 300 PSI. That of course, is dependent on the water supply. Considering that it only holds 500 gallons, you'd probably never make either of them with the tank alone.

It'll draught about 12 feet, but good luck on getting the above numbers that way.

It'll draught about 12 feet, but good luck on getting the above numbers that way.

Flunk the last pump test did we?

Most published ratings are based on a 10' lift w/o any help from static pressure in a system.

skinny_tom (aka boney)

Most published ratings are based on a 10' lift w/o any help from static pressure in a system.

We don't geek it up in SF. :grin:

Holy cow... doest that rig meet NFPA 1901 departure angle standards w/ that front bumper and the hose-reel box hanging down like that?

Ah, forgive me... I'd forgotten, "150 Years of Tradition, Unimpeded by Progress!" :grin: :grin:

skinny_tom (aka boney)

Ah, forgive me... I'd forgotten, "150 Years of Tradition, Unimpeded by Progress!" :grin: :grin:

Exactly! You wouldn't believe some of the stories I have to tell.

Exactly! You wouldn't believe some of the stories I have to tell.

I met your President at the last IAFF Convention in Las Vegas a few weeks ago . . . I WOULD believe them! :-p

Archived