IGNORED

Calling All Firefighters!

jbr7t

I'm gonna finally jump into this thread. Not because I'm a firefighter, but because my son, Alex, recently completed his one-year probationary period with the Naperville, IL Fire Department and is now a full-fledged FF/PM. We're very proud of him--a former Army officer, Airborne MP, he tested #1 out of all applicants in Naperville and three or four other departments. Worked his ass off in his paramedic training and in preparation for the testing process.

Though I've had a few firefighter friends over the years, I never really picked up on the pace of training associated with the job. Alex had to complete all of his certifications in the first year, so perhaps it'll slow down a bit. However, he's pushing very hard to grab all the training opportunities he can.

Next: swift water rescue. After that, possibly the tactical response team. Usually that only happens after three years on the job, but with his military experience his boss is pushing for a waiver of the time requirement.

He sounds like a very motivated individual! :thumbsup: I'm sure he's going to do some pretty great things! :clap:

Tell him congrats and good luck with his career.

Pat

• 4 weeks later...
Medic Mike

That vid clip was funny. I was visualizing my local VFD in the county I work in doing that. Made a good start to my shift tonight. Would have been funnier if they would have slipped in an electric car for them to cut.

Now that I said that, I am curious, how do you cut an electric car? I have not yet had to ask for an extrication for one, though I know it will eventually happen. Does the process of A-C posts change? Dash roll? This is for my own edification.

Glenn Reed

Mike,

In the early 2000's, I was working with a guy who was part of his local VFD. He told us that each model year they got new schematics on the hybrids (and I assume that would now include the pure electrics) to show where not to cut during an extraction. They would then hold training in their department to pass this knowledge along.

Medic Mike

I pick on VFD's....well just because. One of the funniest events I ever had was with a FT department what got new extrication tools and they were itching to use them....so they did on a 5mph MVC at a gas station parking lot. The only point that was "pinned" was the driver door because it got pinched at the A post. She crawled out the passenger side as they were cutting.

Anyways...thanks for the info on the hybrids/electrics. Is this info available for all responders? This is info I would like to have in hand for when this day arrives instead of googling it on the fly.

Archived