IGNORED

Spring Torrey.....Kick It Up???

Gleno

Firefight911
No

He may not be able to get it on to your street, because he can't turn it around.

If it's really a 40 footer.

Louise's mom's(ours) is 38 feet(Alpha) and I wouldn't consider it.....There's an RV park real close though and we could always make room at the Chuck Wagon.....I'm sure we could talk Randy into it.

Whip

Put a steering wheel on the back end and I'll betcha me and Phil or Jamie could get it in there first try!

Turn right to go left, as I always say!!!! thumbsup.gif

Les is more

( . . . dibs on "operating" the wench! )

Easy boy! I belive you've already got all the wench you can handle. wave.gif

Firefight911
I've been thinking about taking a ride to that part of the country. Is this event open to all? Thanks.

Absolutely!!!!!! All that is required is the ability to have good time, meet GREAT people, ride, laugh, enjoy, ride, etc.

Oh, did I mention the great people!!!! See you there! wave.gifwave.gif

I've been thinking about taking a ride to that part of the country. Is this event open to all? Thanks.
I would have sent you a message with the lodging information but you don't accept PMs and don't list an email address, what's that about?
I would have sent you a message with the lodging information but you don't accept PMs and don't list an email address, what's that about?

But he plays guitar....that's good.

I wonder if he knows Kumbaya lmao.giflmao.gif

Whip

With all the help from this board, Its hard to believe that we couldn't get a RV into your drive.... A chainsaw, D-4 with wench, some moblehome dollys and a keg of diet pepsi it would be easy

Tank, I was all over it until you mentioned Diet Pepsi. It's Diet Coke, my man. Offering someone a Diet Pepsi is like. . .well. . .like offering them a Bud Light instead of a Sam Adams. tongue.giftongue.giftongue.gif

Hope to see you there. thumbsup.gif

But he plays guitar....that's good.

I wonder if he knows Kumbaya lmao.giflmao.gif

Whip

I hope you are practicing it amigo!

Lone_RT_rider
With all the help from this board, Its hard to believe that we couldn't get a RV into your drive.... A chainsaw, D-4 with wench, some moblehome dollys and a keg of diet pepsi it would be easy

Tank, I was all over it until you mentioned Diet Pepsi. It's Diet Coke, my man. Offering someone a Diet Pepsi is like. . .well. . .like offering them a Bud Light instead of a Sam Adams. tongue.giftongue.giftongue.gif

Hope to see you there. thumbsup.gif

Offering someone a Diet Coke when they could Have Diet Dr. Pepper is like offering someone a Sam Adams when you could fly them to Germany for a fresh Heffeweissen in the Biergarten! grin.giflmao.gif

Shawn

Wonder how many trees will be knocked down by this group of clowns. wave.gif

There aren't that many trees to worry about down there, so this really does sound "do-able"! grin.gif And don't worry too much about the shrubberies, Marty, once the Knob Creek starts flowing these guys will be harmless!

Hey Calvin, where are you staying under the stars? I'm planning on bringing the camping stuff so I can camp my way down and back if I feel like it, but having air conditioning to sleep under sounded pretty good... I remember it being quite warm last time I was at Torrey and I hate trying to sleep in a pool of sweat.

I simply can't get anybody up here to break free for this. I even offered one buddy whose only ride is a KLR650 the use of my RT for the weekend.

So, is anybody looking for someone to split room costs with for a few days??? confused.gif I think I'll be there Thursday night through Sunday night, could camp one night on either or both ends of that....

Doug

Whataya mean Steven..... we are getting together in Torrey just to meet you and ya better show up or we will just have fun without ya grin.gifwave.gif

Hey Calvin, where are you staying under the stars? I'm planning on bringing the camping stuff so I can camp my way down and back if I feel like it, but having air conditioning to sleep under sounded pretty good... I remember it being quite warm last time I was at Torrey and I hate trying to sleep in a pool of sweat.
My lawn is available, it's very very unlikely to be warm at night, 50 tops. I don't even have A/C and I hate heat, in the time I've lived here I think there have only been a couple of nights it didn't drop under 70. Were you really in Torrey or down in the park? It's a lot warmer down there.
My lawn is available, it's very very unlikely to be warm at night, 50 tops. I don't even have A/C and I hate heat, in the time I've lived here I think there have only been a couple of nights it didn't drop under 70. Were you really in Torrey or down in the park? It's a lot warmer down there.

Hi Bob! Yes, we were in Torrey Spring 2005, riding through Capitol Reef when the stinking tar snakes were almost squishy enough to stick to your tires. It was downright WARM. But you're right, it cools down nicely at night!

Thanks for your offer, I'll PM you!

Doug

Hi Bob! Yes, we were in Torrey Spring 2005, riding through Capitol Reef when the stinking tar snakes were almost squishy enough to stick to your tires. It was downright WARM.
Must distinguish between Torrey and Capitol Reef - the park is 1500 feet lower than Torrey and often 20 degrees warmer.
Kumbaya huh? That's easy enough.No problem! Who's gonna sing?

Everyone but me.

Killer....He opened up his PM box......send the spam.

Whip

Does anybody know if Master Yoda is planning on updating the Torrey web site for the Spring ride? confused.gif

He usually does it closer to the day of the event.

Changes underway now? Going to that particular site results in the display of the "Supreme Control Panel", instead of the previous year's activities, pix, and other stuff.

Everyone but me.

Whip

That's what YOU think, pal! I know how to get you to sing! wink.gif
bakerzdosen

Everyone but me.

Whip

And we've seen the lengths to which you'll go to get out of singing Kumbaya for us...

Everyone but me.

Whip

And we've seen the lengths to which you'll go to get out of singing Kumbaya for us...

hANNABONE will be representing me in all singin engagement....I have a contract.

hANNABONE will be representing me in all singin engagement....I have a contract.

I love to renegotiate contracts!! wave.gifwave.gifwave.gif

I would be working to get those vocal chords ready lmao.gif

Calvin  (no socks)

So, I'm not going to need the heated gear? eek.gif

So, I'm not going to need the heated gear? eek.gif
In the yard?

It's impossible to say what the weather will be like, the last frost date here is 5/31 and that's exactly when it was last year. Just before that we had a night at 20F right after Spring Torrey, on the other hand it could be 80 in the day. Spring in the mountains...

It won't be humid!

Everyone but me.

Whip

..tHAT iS a true-izim...Whip does have a contract...for what - we don't know -- but he does have a contract lmao.gifclap.gifthumbsup.gif

I camped out and slept in that yard after the UNrally and it was ONE of my best nights sleep, the stars and russle of the trees cool.gif

Course, I was bone tired, stuffed full of good food and diet soda, teriffic conversation and companionship.

Whip

Ahhhhh, I can just FEEL THE LOVE, Whip! grin.gif

I'm trying to talk Killer into heading North with you and Louise after Torrey.... I offered him yard space near the fire pit! Toilet priviledges! What more could you ask for?

Louise must be an angel.

Doug

Whip

Ahhhhh, I can just FEEL THE LOVE, Whip! grin.gif

I'm trying to talk Killer into heading North with you and Louise after Torrey.... I offered him yard space near the fire pit! Toilet priviledges! What more could you ask for?

Louise must be an angel.

Doug

Louise is more than an angel.

....and Killer told me he would have a job my then, but it would be great if he would join us. I know how much he likes Yellowstone.

Louise must be an angel.

Doug

Be careful what you ask for! blush.gif

Stating such things in an open forum could get you more than you bargained for..... wave.gifgrin.gif

PhillyFlash
....and Killer told me he would have a job my then, but it would be great if he would join us. I know how much he likes Yellowstone.

Hey, that's the best time to go to Yellowstone (if it's open), the last week before Memorial Day Weekend. After that, the tourists start returning and it gets too crowded. Besides, Killer needs some new photos for next year's calendar.

BeniciaRT_GT

Take him to Canada!

PLEASE!!! lmao.giflmao.giflmao.giflmao.giflmao.giflmao.gif

Crazy_Canuck

Take him to Canada!

PLEASE!!! lmao.giflmao.giflmao.giflmao.giflmao.giflmao.gif

NOOOOOO!!!!! PLEASE DONT!! grin.gif

Hey, that's the best time to go to Yellowstone (if it's open), the last week before Memorial Day Weekend. After that, the tourists start returning and it gets too crowded. Besides, Killer needs some new photos for next year's calendar.

Jellystone and Grand Teton NP's open to vehicles May 1st, and this year we won't have to be too worried about residual snow, sadly tongue.gif. Lousy snow year up here. I caused it; I bought a pass to Jackson Hole ski area and am not going to be able to "ski it out". Oh well!

That just means it's getting closer to riding season! I took the GS out for a spin Saturday, parked it at a trailhead and hiked up into the mountains above Lander. No snow, and the River is opening up nicely:

137419483-L.jpg

The Falls weren't quite Falling, but they were pretty!

137419468-L.jpg

So there, Whip, NEW PHOTOS! grin.gifthumbsup.giflmao.gif

See ya soon!

Doug

137419468-L.jpg

Doug

That almost looks 'photoshopped'. If it wasn't for the shadow, I'd be even more suspicious. Jellystone should be fun this year, Doug.

Mike O

....and Killer told me he would have a job by then, but it would be great if he would join us. I know how much he likes Yellowstone.

Killer has grown used to the retirement scene.

Killer-Bob.jpg

That is truly an amazing pic. I'd love to see it as the ice begins to melt.

I was walking a little gingerly in that picture becuase there's a really deep pool under that ice and I wasn't too sure about it. In the Summer there's a natural slide into the pool where the water has polished the granite, but the water is VERY cold!

That's a real photo, no 'Shopping at all. It's only about a 1.5 mile hike up a good trail. The trailhead is about eight miles from my house. It sounds like this Spring will be minimal runoff - we're at about 50% of normal snowpack....

Yellowstone and GTNP got OK snow, but they'll open on time and the roads are probably already dry in many places.

Doug

The waterfall picture would have made a great HDR photo.

HDR?

Mike O

High Dynamic Range, you take at least 3 photos, underexposed, normal and overexposed. Then you combine them into one image and enhance the details that were captured by the various exposures, in software of course. That gives you a 32 bit/pixel image which is then reduced back to the usual 8 bit jpeg, losing much of the detail of course but equalizing the under and over exposed parts of the picture. It seems to produce particularly interesting effects with ice, presumably because the ice would usually be over exposed. This one as made from 3 images, hand held and the wind was blowing so it's a bit fuzzy but I really like the effect. When printed it is amazing.

fremontHDR.jpg

Mike O

High Dynamic Range, you take at least 3 photos, underexposed, normal and overexposed. Then you combine them into one image...

Great picture! Never heard of HDR pictures before. It looks like a painting.

Hey cool Bob! When I was a graduate student in geology I also worked as a contract photographer (film, of course) and got to mess around in a photo lab. Digital is so amazing for the ability to play these games with images. I played around with "low angle oblique aerial stereo-pairs" for my thesis. Aerial photos are usually taken looking vertically downward at the same spot, taken a few seconds/yards apart so as to give slightly different perspectives. When viewed with a "stereoscope" it looks 3-dimensional. Well, you can do that with oblique (not vertical) photos too; take a shot of an object, move a few feet sideways and take the same shot = 3-D! I did it from an airplane and just standing on the ground, really "wowed" my professors because the details of the geological area of interest really stood out. It's fun to mess with that stuff.

The photos above were taken with my leetle pocket Nikon digital that has a lense about 1/4 inch diameter. It does OK but it's limited by how much light it can process.

Here are a couple more "point and shoot" shots, not manipulated in any way:

100208276-L.jpg

98730728-L.jpg

I'm looking forward to playing around down in your gorgeous area and getting some more photos!

Damn, I'm READY to go riding and it's still seven weeks away!!!!! Arghhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!! tongue.gif

Doug

Charles Elms

High Dynamic Range, you take at least 3 photos, underexposed, normal and overexposed. Then you combine them into one image...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok, now I've got my three shots. What software to I use to combine them? Can I do it with Photoshop? If so, what function? I want to try this.

Ok, now I've got my three shots. What software to I use to combine them? Can I do it with Photoshop? If so, what function? I want to try this.
I think you need the full version of Photoshop CS2, it's the File/Automate/Merge to HDR menu item. I am using Photomatix Pro which has a trial version, it puts several "watermarks" in the result though. I bought a copy, think it was $99.
Charles Elms

Quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think you need the full version of Photoshop CS2, it's the File/Automate/Merge to HDR menu item. I am using Photomatix Pro which has a trial version, it puts several "watermarks" in the result though. I bought a copy, think it was $99.

Thanks Killer, I've got an old version 5 of photoshop. Guess it's time for some new software. smile.gif Still fondly remember your gracious tour of Cathderal Valley this past Torry. Hope to see you at the Unrally.

I'm in!! Am looking forward to riding the Sprint on sweeper madness (maybe in the snow again?). Just hope I can get a place to stay or I'll be in a tent... grin.gif

Update: I got a room at the Capital Reef Inn so will be near the action. Am arriving on Thursday so I have a day to rest up.

• 1 month later...

Archived