IGNORED

Spring Torrey.....Kick It Up???

Gleno

I'm In!! Now I have to decide, do I ride the GS...or throw both the GS and the KTM in the back of the truck and tackle some technical dirt/rock?

Assuming no serious (and I mean serious) conflicts arise, I can't imagine being anyplace other than Torrey to honor Gleno. bncry.gif

Although I may have to find an alternate if Phil finds out about this..... eek.giflmao.gif

Psst, they just cancelled your reservations!!! Danny, we now have ADJOINING rooms!!!!

sign0151.gif

sign0068.gif

Don' mean to get personal here, but whichever room you guys frequent, I wana make sure we don't end up with an adjoining wall to that action. lmao.gif

Oh, by the way.... IN at the Days Inn !!thumbsup.gif

Hi Wheatie

Small hijack. Welcome to the board! This is a great place to meet folks, hang out, or just lurk and learn. You may want to fill out your bio so we know a little more about you. Inquiring minds would like to know.

Many of us met Wheatie this past weekend in Boulder City. Another good friend of Gleno's. What more needs to be said.

Welcome to the board, Wheatie. I first met you at the house on Saturday, and then again on Sunday. Glad to hear that you'll be going to Torrey. It's a great place, and a great time. And you've already met several of the people who will be there. Looking forward to seeing you again.

russell_bynum
Many of us met Wheatie this past weekend in Boulder City. Another good friend of Gleno's. What more needs to be said.

Welcome to the board, Wheatie. I first met you at the house on Saturday, and then again on Sunday. Glad to hear that you'll be going to Torrey. It's a great place, and a great time. And you've already met several of the people who will be there. Looking forward to seeing you again.

Yeah Baby!!

Well you just have to laugh when you read his occupation. Uh, keep UP the good work.

Umm..., that would be "HER" occupation..... blush.gif

Welcome aboard Wheatz!! thumbsup.gif

Well you just have to laugh when you read his occupation. Uh, keep UP the good work.

Umm..., that would be "HER" occupation..... blush.gif

Welcome aboard Wheatz!! thumbsup.gif

yep...the "G's Boy" is a reference to what Gleno always called me,....his "boy".

Welcome Wheatie and I look forward to seeing that red GSXXER in Torrey. Looks awsome sexy in the pic.

meh...MY gixxer is blue...none of those step-child colors...that was a rental :-)

I keep telling her that red bikes are sexier cool.gif

We got our room confirmed today up in Torrey... very much looking forward to this.

Pheer is IN!

I keep telling her that red bikes are sexier cool.gif

We got our room confirmed today up in Torrey... very much looking forward to this.

Pheer is IN!

Very Very Worthy!!!

Kaisr thumbsup.gif

I'm thinking about taking an Eastern swing route from Tucson to Torrey. Hwys 191 to 163 to 261 to 95 to 24. May even take it easy and spend the night in Alpine. Are those roads in Utah all paved? Also, on my Western swing back, I may take 89 ALT from Fredonia to Marbel Canyon. Is that paved? Thanks

I'm thinking about taking an Eastern swing route from Tucson to Torrey. Hwys 191 to 163 to 261 to 95 to 24. May even take it easy and spend the night in Alpine. Are those roads in Utah all paved? Also, on my Western swing back, I may take 89 ALT from Fredonia to Marbel Canyon. Is that paved? Thanks

Well, John, there are lots of great unpaved roads in Utah, but the ones that you're interested in are all (well, mostly) paved and usually in good condition. 261 is a little road about 5 miles north of Mexican Hat. Most of it is paved, except for an approximately 2.2 mile stretch that takes you up Mokee Dugway. The Dugway is a favorite for some of us. The 2.2 mile stretch is dirt, but is paved in many of the corners. The surface is usually pretty good, a little wash-boardy in places, and some ruts if there's been a lot of rain; but we've never had any trouble going uphill or downhill. It can be a little nerve-racking for some, though, as it goes back and forth across the face of the cliff, with pretty steep drops. But the view at the top is more than worth it. Unless you have a fear of riding in dirt or of heights, you should be fine. All the other roads you mention are great. 95 is a very fast road, with long sweepers and great sight lines. It's a beautiful road with high desert vistas. US 24 from Hanksville to Torrey closes in a bit, but has lots of curves and scenery, especially when you start to approach Capital Reef Park. It's a road you'll want to ride again and again, and some of the people who come to Torrey do ride it several times during the weekend. 89-A is paved all the way, and has a good road surface.

You'll quickly learn why we love to ride the Torrey area, but you'll have to show up at the Chuckwagon to learn why we come back as a group so often. You've got to feel the love.

Joe Frickin' Friday
261 is a little road about 5 miles north of Mexican Hat.

It can be a little nerve-racking for some, though, as it goes back and forth across the face of the cliff, with pretty steep drops. But the view at the top is more than worth it.

Hmmm...

Would that be this little stretch, right here?

812609-261.jpg

eek.gif

I'll be checking that out on Google Earth tonight, but judging from what the road does right there, it looks pretty dramatic.

812609-261.jpg.f733610da516582042f5a10fd4fbb8e0.jpg

Howard, I ride a lot of dirt on my dual sports but not the RT. I've made many descents down Copper Canyon, a couple on a large GSPD with no issue. I also ride the back side of Mt. Lemmon down to Oracle frequently but I usually don't take a new RT on those kind of roads. I may have to pass on 261 this time and come back on a dual sport. Thanks for the info. jlt

John,

It really will be very easy for you on the RT, then. I have an RT, and have never had a problem on the road. I've ridden up and down it with people on K1200RS's, K1200LT's, R1100S's, sport bikes, Harley's, pretty much everything. I've never seen anyone have a problem. A dual sport may make it a little easier, but not enough to make that much of a difference. Give it a try on the RT. If you don't fall, it's a piece of cake. Besides, it saves about 45 minutes ride time, and is much more fun than the alternative.

Not sure what all the chatter is about regarding Rt. 261 and Mokee Dugway in Utah. It is a beautiful piece of road and the views looking down over Little Monument Valley and south to Monument Valley are nothing short of spectacular. I can see how people might get nervous and it could be challenging if it was wet but other than that as long as you ride it at 5-10 mph it is really a piece of cake. I have ended up on some dirt roads in Sequoia Nat. Forest/Yosemite and a couple of other roads that were far more challenging than that 2 mile stretch up/down Mokee Dugway. If you don't feel comfortable you go always go the long way around up Rt. 191 to Rt. 95.

I agree with Howard. Don't take an alternate route just because of a little gravel on the roads. It has been very passable every time I have taken it.

In fact, I remember the first time I was on that road. In 1998, my brother and I worked together and one day he mentioned that he was going to buy a BMW Airhead. He explained at great lengths the assets of the Airhead, as a tourer, easy to maintain, and the riders are very safety concious. He was looking for just the right bike to purchase when I came across a 1985 R80RT. My first motorcycle, other than the Honda CT110 we used on the ranch in Wyoming that is still in my garage. My brother quickly found a 1995 R100RT Classic and we planned several rides. One of our first was down to Moab, Mexican Hat, camped at the Hite Marina, and zigged zagged our way home the next day. One of my most memorable trips with my brother.

So a newby with less than 3000 miles under his belt having only ridden for several months is able to ride the Mokee dugway and handle it with ease. If I could at that point in my riding career, anyone can.

I have done it both directions, but it is cool to be coming from the south and you see this large mesa and you wonder where the crap does this road go. Then it takes you up. There are a few spots you can stop and look down and see the road below you and really wonder, was I just down there?? It is a cool stretch that is well worth a few seconds of anxiety that you may have of riding gravel on a street bike.

The road is plenty wide and at no time have I ever felt so uncomfortable that I thought it was a mistake.

Don't worry about it, just do it. clap.gif

Besides, it saves about 45 minutes ride time, and is much more fun than the alternative.
Philly I'm ashamed of you - it's UT24 and CapitOl Reef.

I disagree that it is more fun than the alternative, the part of 95 south of 261 is the best bit IMHO, it's hillier and twistier than the section north (which is still fab). You can go up 95 to 261 then take the (v straight) paved road out to the Mokee Dugway, only the last 100 yards or so to the view point is unpaved that way.

Philly I'm ashamed of you - it's UT24 and CapitOl Reef.

I disagree that it is more fun than the alternative, the part of 95 south of 261 is the best bit IMHO, it's hillier and twistier than the section north (which is still fab). You can go up 95 to 261 then take the (v straight) paved road out to the Mokee Dugway, only the last 100 yards or so to the view point is unpaved that way.

dopeslap.gif That's what I get for trying to type a quick response while working. And yes, I like that lower part of 95, too. Much different that the rest of 95. I was just trying to lure another rider to the Dugway. I save the lower part of 95 for those days when it's rainy and too wet to go up or down the Dugway. So don't tell John that that the rest of 95 is nice, too. wink.gif

Well Leslie and I did it going downhill two-up on Maynard on the way home from Torrey IV when he was brand-spankin' new and had less than 6K miles on him! eek.gif

I mis-judged how much gas I had and how far apart things were and we didn't have enough gas to take the long way 'round to Mexican Hat. dopeslap.gif

When I saw this sign:

143492-L-1.jpg

I'm not sure I would've continued on if I weren't so low on gas. grin.gif

This one looked a bit better! smile.gif

143493-L-1.jpg

But then the road did this:

143494-L-1.jpg

And I was not a happy camper. crazy.gif

The views were spectacular, though and it really wasn't that bad if you take it slowly! thumbsup.gif

143495-L-1.jpg

143496-L-1.jpg

143497-L-1.jpg

143498-L-1.jpg

Funny, I didn't get any shots during the ride down, but I snapped a few from the bottom looking up to prove that we made it alive! Hard to believe that just three miles ago, we were up on top of that canyon rim! eek.gif

143499-L-1.jpg

143500-L-1.jpg

I'd definitely recommend it! thumbsup.gif

OK, so first time out there. Are there any old routes or some such, just to get some ideas?

What type of old routes, and where? There are many different types of routes, but in terms of old, I'm not quite sure what you're looking for. But in terms of scenery, old mining towns, desolate places, we can show you plenty of those.

Wow! With so many people going, is it time to hire a shuttle bus (or buses) to get people between the CW and other lodgings in the evening? I'm sure there must be a minibus rental company in Torrey! lmao.gif

No way are we all gonna be able to descend on a single restaurant this year. Heck, we'll be lucky if we all get to eat!

yep...the "G's Boy" is a reference to what Gleno always called me,....his "boy".

Um ... Leave it to Gleno to not know the difference! dopeslap.giflmao.giflmao.gif

OK, so first time out there. Are there any old routes or some such, just to get some ideas?

What type of old routes, and where? There are many different types of routes, but in terms of old, I'm not quite sure what you're looking for. But in terms of scenery, old mining towns, desolate places, we can show you plenty of those.

Sorry, was more just thinking that for past BMWST events someone put some garmin files together.I didn't want to imply that I needed a new one, but if in the archives there was one I'd take a gander.

I'm not trying to overplan the trip, but am really looking forward to it. We're planning a week out w/ quite a bit of fun (ditch the slab in Denver maybe?). Drew seems not to care about gravel roads on his T595, so maybe get some light-GS fun in there as well. We'll see. smile.gif

Lone_RT_rider
Drew seems not to care about gravel roads on his T595, so maybe get some light-GS fun in there as well. We'll see. smile.gif

Pikes peak on Monday May 14th? grin.gifthumbsup.gif

Shawn

Five times thru Glennoville and this is the first time I've heard of "Mokee Dugway"

Seems to me a really good reason to keep coming back, I gotta ride that sucker

Tank

Well Mokee Dugway is not just down the block so to speak. It is about 160 miles southeast of Torrey. I know that is not far at all for this crowd but it does take some time to get there from Torrey. The views are awesome at M.D. but the view of Lake Powell up on the cliff at Hite Landing is fantastic and not to be missed.

russell_bynum
Tank

Well Mokee Dugway is not just down the block so to speak. It is about 160 miles southeast of Torrey.

It is about an hour and a half from Torrey.

... We're planning a week out w/ quite a bit of fun (ditch the slab in Denver maybe?). Drew seems not to care about gravel roads on his T595, so maybe get some light-GS fun in there as well. We'll see. smile.gif

Let me know your plans and if you need any help with routes, PM. Depending on WHEN, you may run into me on the way to Torrey that week as well.

Mike O

Tank

Well Mokee Dugway is not just down the block so to speak. It is about 160 miles southeast of Torrey.

It is about an hour and a half from Torrey.

Maybe for you it's an hour and a half, but for the rest of us in the "slow riders" group.........

russell_bynum

Maybe for you it's an hour and a half, but for the rest of us in the "slow riders" group.........

Would that be the same "Slow riders" group that passed the "fast" group nose to tail at a buck and a quarter? thumbsup.gif

Joe Frickin' Friday
Sorry, was more just thinking that for past BMWST events someone put some garmin files together.I didn't want to imply that I needed a new one, but if in the archives there was one I'd take a gander.

I don't recall any formal arrangements, but I've got a couple of routes in mind and a map file; I can add actual GPS routes and send you the file if you want.

We're planning a week out w/ quite a bit of fun (ditch the slab in Denver maybe?). Drew seems not to care about gravel roads on his T595, so maybe get some light-GS fun in there as well. We'll see. smile.gif

Shawn and I will be in Denver by Sunday evening 5/13. We're going to spend a couple of days exploring the frontrange (including, yes, Pike's Peak, hopefully) before heading west on 5/16. Would be cool if you wanted to join us for some or all of that. thumbsup.gif

The time I rode the "Mokee Dugway" I didn't know anything about it. It was just a line on the map. It was my first ride to Torrey, on my R1100RT. I was in the Four Corners area, and it was the shortest way. First I started wondering how the road is going to go over that wall. Than I got to the sign of gravel road, steep turns etc. Gravel is not my strong side. I stopped and looked at the map. Too long to go back and go around. So what the heck, here we go. It was no problem and spectacular. Finding the U turns paved was a nice surprise. On the top at the view point I found a young man with his girlfriend, on a GS, going the other way. Nice encounters. Plan to do it again this May, on the way to Torrey.

OK, ok, ok, I'll do it on the way up. My concern was more with stone chips on a new bike but I'll just take it real easy. Sounds a lot like the descent into CC except only 1K feet instead of 6K feet. Thanks for the info and I'm now really looking forward to it.

Archived