IGNORED

Torrey XII Announcement

rdfrantz

FLASH!!!

THERE IS ONE ROOM OPEN AT THE CHUCKWAGON. First caller gets the prize.

Coffee at the castle rock/lunch with Killer. Let the riding begin. Sun is shining and Brinks is open.

See you slackers when you get here. lmao.gif

You all PLEEEEEEEEEZ ride safely and have a good time. When the ride reports come trickling in, I want you all to make me miserable for missing a great time in Torrey.

All my best to you all.

Getten ready to leave....don't know where we're headed, but know where we're going...Fernando, we will miss you but we won't be far. You make sure to keep the phone by your side so that we can call and sing you "Happy Birthday"!!

It looks as if the weather will prevent my crossing the Rockies this week. Vail Pass has snow forcast for today through Sunday. See you next year.

Bob

Howdy All!!

When you're at the buffet/reception, poolside at the Chuckwagon on Friday at about 5:30, watch for either Jamie or me. We/I/He will be at a table collecting the money for Saturday night's BBQ.

See You SOON!!!! clap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

bncry.gif I really hate to say this, but I have to cancel my Torrey trip. I missed Torrey I, but have been at the last 11 in a row. Work and other commitments finally got in the way. Hopefully, I'll be back for Spring Torrey. This is a bummer. Have fun, everyone. And, no, I do not want any Happy Birthday calls!

P.S. Denny (Tool) and I always share the first cabin. Denny can't make it either, so we are giving up the cabin just for this Torrey. If you're interested in the cabin, give the Chuckwagon a call.

Room available at CW. Safe travels and enjoy yourselves.

Vail Pass

Thursday: Snow showers likely, mixing with rain after noon. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 44. West wind between 10 and 15 mph, with gusts as high as 30 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New snow accumulation of 3 to 5 inches possible.

Thursday Night: Snow showers likely. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 25. Breezy, with a west wind between 10 and 20 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New snow accumulation of 1 to 2 inches possible.

Friday: Snow showers likely. Some thunder is also possible. Cloudy, with a high near 42. West southwest wind between 10 and 15 mph, with gusts as high as 25 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%.

Regards,

Mike O

Howard, you hooligans can't make it either?! Wow - a Torrey with no Fernando, no Bynums, and no Howard and Denny? However will they manage?! Thank God Wurty will be there to take up the slack... thumbsup.gif

Sorry y'all can't go either. frown.gif

Are so many folks bailing because of the lousy weather forcast?! Making me second guess. If you're coming from the south it might not be too bad. But, for those of us coming from the north across passes .... crazy.gif

Are so many folks bailing because of the lousy weather forcast?! Making me second guess. If you're coming from the south it might not be too bad. But, for those of us coming from the north across passes .... crazy.gif

NO! One year, it snowed across all of the passes and we only had one guy cancel...and he had apendicitis. thumbsup.gif

What ever you have to do to get there, it's worth it.

We're not going because we accidentally scheduled a track day during Torrey weekend. dopeslap.gif

The Aspens are turning and there will be snow at the higher elevations. It promises to be a phenominal sight.

And if that ain't enough to make you go, Gleno's special secret guest is worth the price of admission. thumbsup.gif

Gleno's special secret guest is worth the price of admission

You know who the secret guest is and you're holding out on me? Was my guess right or wrong? At least tell me that much! (well, I guess if you tell me I'm right, then I know who it is, but that's beside the point)

Edited by 90%angel
Gleno's special secret guest is worth the price of admission

You know who the secret guest is and you're holding out on me? Was my guess right or wrong? At least tell me that much! (well, I guess if you tell me I'm right, then I know who it is, but that's beside the point)

Your guess was right. cool.gif

T - 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1. Mission Control we have liftoff from Huntington Beach, Ca to Torrey Utah. Arrival is set for Torrey Thursday afternoon. We're outta here for our first Torrey rendevous. See ya"ll there.

Edited by keithb

NO! One year, it snowed across all of the passes and we only had one guy cancel...and he had apendicitis. thumbsup.gif

What ever you have to do to get there, it's worth it.

Yeah, what's up with these Colorado folks?? I thought they were made of stronger stuff! grin.gif

I remember that Fall Torrey when the weather changed very well! It was Friday afternoon when we were all pulling in to town and there had been a huge Goldwing ride scheduled for the same weekend. The GW group were all staying down the road at one of the other hotels and the owner was talking to Randy at the Chuckwagon on the phone. He was really bummed because they had filled him up and they all cancelled because of the weather. He says to Randy: "So I suppose you're going to be empty this weekend too, huh?" Randy quipped back: "No. In fact they've been pulling in all afternoon and I'm still full up! The one guy who had to cancel only did so because he came down with appendicitis at the last minute! You know how Beemer riders are--maybe you're just hanging around with the wrong crowd!" eek.giflmao.gif

That was one of the best Torrey's ever! thumbsup.gif

Source of such famous pictures as:

143462-M-1.jpg

And we took the "low road" over Koosharem so we only saw the snow from afar! Here's the BirdMan of Torrey ("Stir") smiling through chattering teeth! grin.gif

143471-M-1.jpg

Couchrocket and Hazmat in St. George today, overnighting with retired fire department friend here. Nice ride up from L.A. Should be at the Boulder View mid afternoon, tomorrow. Road conditions on the 15 are fine. Breezy cross winds north of Las Vegas.

i don't know, after looking at this, i think there may be something to their second guessing the weather. eek.giflmao.gif

That was one of the best Torrey's ever!

I believe that was Lisa's first Torrey on her own bike. It was a "Gerbings on max" day as we came through the mountains west of Torrey. I believe that was the Torrey when the UT-12 group got snowed on, then rode through a herd of cattle, then got rained on. Those were some seriously nasty bikes by the time they finally arrived in town. eek.gif

Gleno was on the Gixxer and Sammy was on my (future) Tuono, and they both arrived soaked to the bone and frozen. (But still smiling and laughing.)

Good times. thumbsup.gif

Yeah, looks like the weekend may be all right. But it's probably going to be a miserable ride through West Yellowstone, the Targhee National Forest, and on into SLC. Brrrrr. Funnily enough, I haven't had to break out my Gerbings yet this year! That may chanage.

4:00 Wednesday : Out the door for Torrey. A quick stop at Brown Motor Works to pick up my new gloeves and it's off to Baker.

The schedule is to meet up with BruceLaQuinta and head off to Mesquite. Mt. Carmel Junction for breakfast tomorrow and then Torrey in the afternoon.

Safe travels everyone!

bncry.gif I really hate to say this, but I have to cancel my Torrey trip...

Who's going to lead all the slow and boring rides??? bncry.gif

I have trained you well, Grasshopper. It is time for you to lead the way.

Warning to anyone planning on riding with Laney: Prepare to stretch your throttle cables, melt your tires, and get the worst gas mileage you've ever seen on your bike. Also, make sure your helmet fits when you have a huge maniacal grin on your face and you're laughing like a hyena.

thumbsup.gif

Yeah, what's up with these Colorado folks?? I thought they were made of stronger stuff! grin.gif

Crashing a bike in the snow on I-70 is highly over-rated. I did it the day before Thanksgiving 1975. Once is enough, thank you.

Bob

i don't know, after looking at this, i think there may be something to their second guessing the weather. eek.giflmao.gif

Hey, this is FALL TORREY!! Only the bold need apply! wink.gif

Russell, I was referring to Torrey IV in October of 2002. It was Leslie's and my first ride to Torrey and only the second ride with this group. We rode out two-up on Maynard (on the stock saddles) with "seanc" on his R11R(S?) and "Stir" on his K12RS. It was colder than hell and we saw a bit of snow so we turned left bypassing the elevation of the pass through Boulder and took the low road over Koosharem. To give you a taste of the caliber of this group, I present you with exhibit A:

143478-L-1.jpg

On the left sandwiched between Brant and "Babeliscious" and in front of Fernando and Queen "Les_is_more" Leslie, is the cherubic face of "KathyR", who rode SOLO from CHICAGO and when she hit closed passes on the I-70 in Colorado detoured to the south to come up through Albuquerque, NEW MEXICO! eek.gif

We are not worthy!! clap.gif

Oh, but who did she happen to bump into in a gas station in Albuquerque? The gentleman sitting at the far end opposite my wife on the right (in a rare candid unsmiling photo): "RonB" (aka Raaaaaaan!) who was ALSO riding solo from CHICAGO!! He hit the same weather and made the exact same decision independently: "Hmmm, well I can't go this way, but it only adds a few hundred more miles to go THAT way! After all, I can't miss Torrey on account of a little snow!" clap.gif

I was humbled and impressed . . . and hooked ever since! cool.gif

Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans and any experience that seems trying at the time, makes for EXCELLENT RIDE TALES later on! thumbsup.gif

T-minus 12 hours and counting!!!!! WOOOOOOHOOOOOO!!!!!!!!! clap.gif

And if that ain't enough to make you go, Gleno's special secret guest is worth the price of admission. thumbsup.gif

meh...he heard the Bynums, Philly, Tool and Nando wouldn't be there...so, he waffled. Looks like I'll be on the FJR this time.

Warning to anyone planning on riding with Laney: Prepare to stretch your throttle cables, melt your tires, and get the worst gas mileage you've ever seen on your bike. Also, make sure your helmet fits when you have a huge maniacal grin on your face and you're laughing like a hyena. thumbsup.gif

WOOHOO!! thumbsup.gif So will there be a sign up sheet for this particular ride? tongue.giflmao.gif

meh...he heard the Bynums, Philly, Tool and Nando wouldn't be there...so, he waffled. Looks like I'll be on the FJR this time.

Dude! That's not even funny. bncry.gif
bncry.gif I really hate to say this, but I have to cancel my Torrey trip...

Who's going to lead all the slow and boring rides??? bncry.gif

I'm afraid to have people talk about me like they were talkin' about you after the "boring ride" in Death Valley.

Those were some wicked names they were calling you!!! grin.gif

Final checks are complete.

Bags are packed.

Tank is full (trip meter at zero!!! eek.gif)

Gosling's Rum is packed.

Bike is SPOTLESS, I tell you, SPOTLESS!!! grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

And I shall add, not for long!

4AM departure from Diamond Springs. Steve (BMWRTnewbie) PM'd and will be leaving with me.

Planning on warp drive across 50 all the way. Steve stated he plans on stopping in Ely for the night. I am playing it by ear on how I feel. If time is good and I feel good, I will go the distance. We shall see.

This is my official "cleared the tower" report as I don't plan on checking this until I return with my check in.

Can't wait to see all you BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAD people. Ride safe, ride well, RIDE!

Jamie (2bmwfan), I miss you already and wish you could be with us. Next year, without the thyroid, we shall ride together!! thumbsup.gif I love you! wink.gif

Russell, I was referring to Torrey IV in October of 2002.

Yep, that was the one.

Man, I forgot that was the one that Raaaaan and PB were there for.

Lisa had the K75 for over a year but wasn't really riding it. She just hadn't ever got over her fears. Then she read about Laney and Kathy's big ride and decided she was going to "paddle her own canoe" to Torrey. Thus started an epic "Ride Better" quest that included parking lot sessions with Master Yoda and a series of longer rides to build her endurance and skills. All of this, by the way, she did on her own. I mean...she had help from lots of people, but she was the driving force behind the whole process and was hellbent and determined to get her K75 to Torrey.

Which she did.

We took a similar detour avoiding UT-12 and still froze our butts off.

Incidentally, it was the return from that trip where she ran out of steam at Gleno's place and we left the K-bike there so she could ride 2-up with me the rest of the way home. Then we had a twilight zone ride with Brian, Meghan, and Daryll where we rode 100 miles at 110mph and it took 3 hours. I still don't understand that one. A few weeks later, we returned to Boulder City to pick up the K75 and have Gleno do some work on Lisa's Mustang. I rode the bike home, and it was on that ride in heavy "drunk/hungover Southern California morons coming home from Vegas" traffic that I was rear ended (hit and run), lost about 2 hours of memory, dislocated my shoulder, and earned my nickname. But I digress.

That was a magical event.

I can still feel the emotion when Kathy pulled into the parking lot at Brinks. Man...thems was some goooood hugs.

But don't cry to me about your stock saddles....I rode my RT all over the place with the stock "comfort" saddle and never had a complaint. tongue.gif

..... You know how Beemer riders are .....

Yeah, maybe we just aren't smart enough to come in out of the rain?! eek.gifgrin.gif

See you all there.

Well, bad news is that I won't be at Torrey for my first interaction with other BMW riders and the roads they choose to ply. Good news is that someone is getting a room due my bad luck.

The irony is that a buddy (Yamaha-Harley knockoff, whatever they're called) and I will be riding up from Vegas to the Cedar City and points E area.

Maybe there will be some leftovers still putting around?

Regards, have fun, be safe,

Bob

Marco and I will be heading out from Ontario about 2pm on Thursday to Mesquite. Friday morning stop for breakfast on the other side of Zion then it's off to Torrey, see ya all there.

I'll bring some Patron for the gringo Tequila shots, warm up after the snow ride grin.gif

Edited by roydog007

Todays the day for me to finally did out of town. Unfortunately I have a trailer full of racebikes that are waiting for me at the shop to prep for this weekends blast down the track and I'll be lucky to get out of town before dark.

Fortunately, Gleno's saving me a plate of his Tri Tip since I won't be there in time for dinner.

For all of you that are riding through the desert today, be careful, it looks like we'll have strong winds to deal with at least to Vegas.

Hopefully I'll see ya all up there at by the pool on Friday with no horror stories to report. thumbsup.gif

I'm afraid to have people talk about me like they were talkin' about you after the "boring ride" in Death Valley.

Those were some wicked names they were calling you!!! grin.gif

But, Laney, you should be used to that by now. wink.gif

Well call us wimps, but Eagle Pass in 3-5 inches of blowing snow on slushy to scattered snow packed eek.gif, just doesn't sound like the best time in the world to us. Plus scattered severe thunderstorms between KC and Denver today (Thursday) adds up to we're canceling out. frown.gif

I understand Chuck Bostian (chucker), Mike Howard (draftermike), and Al Hummel (KE3OK) are also canceling.

Sorry we won't get to see any of you this time around. We're severly bummed. Guess I'll go into work so I don't loose my vacation days...

frown.giffrown.giffrown.giffrown.giffrown.giffrown.giffrown.giffrown.gif

Jamie (2bmwfan), I miss you already and wish you could be with us. Next year, without the thyroid, we shall ride together!! thumbsup.gif I love you! wink.gif

Thanks babe!!! grin.gif I love you more (is it ok to get this mushy on the DB??) lmao.gifand I miss you soooooo much crazy.gif!!! Ride safe and come home soon.

To everyone else, sorry I can't make it but I will be there next time. I am really bummed!! bncry.gifbncry.gifbncry.gif I know that you will all take GREAT care of my hubby as he is there! grin.gif Have awesome rides and create new friendships!!! wave.gif

Thanks babe!!! grin.gif I love you more (is it ok to get this mushy on the DB??) lmao.gifand I miss you soooooo much crazy.gif!!! Ride safe and come home soon.

To everyone else, sorry I can't make it but I will be there next time. I am really bummed!! bncry.gifbncry.gifbncry.gif I know that you will all take GREAT care of my hubby as he is there! grin.gif Have awesome rides and create new friendships!!! wave.gif

Hey Moderators!!! Can we please get these two a private chat room or something? My kids sometimes look over my shoulder while I am online and I don't want them to see this. lmao.giflmao.gif

Plus my wife is going to ask me, "Why don't YOU tell me you love me on the board." Thanks Phil. Putting the rest of us husbands to shame. dopeslap.gif

...Yeah, what's up with these Colorado folks?? I thought they were made of stronger stuff! grin.gif

Actually, we're made of smarter stuff thumbsup.gif (as is Ken H and anyone else attempting this trek from east of Colorado in the next 48 hours). I'll take smarter over 'stronger' any day of the week. From the National Weather Service:

SNOW WILL INCREASE AGAIN TONIGHT AND CONTINUE THROUGH FRIDAY. SNOW MAY BE BE HEAVY AT TIMES ESPECIALLY FROM FRIDAY INTO FRIDAY NIGHT. THE AMOUNT OF SNOW WILL DEPEND ON THE EXACT TRACK AND SPEED OF THE NEXT SYSTEM. TOTAL SNOWFALL AMOUNTS OF 10 TO 20 INCHES ARE POSSIBLE BY FRIDAY NIGHT.

WINTER TRAVEL CONDITIONS CAN BE EXPECTED TODAY AND CONTINUE THROUGH SATURDAY. EVEN A COUPLE OF INCHES OF SLUSH WILL MAKE ROADS SLIPPERY. ROADS WILL LIKELY BECOME SNOWPACKED OR ICY OVER THE HIGHER PASSES AND THE EISENHOWER TUNNEL TONIGHT THROUGH SATURDAY.

Having said that us 'smarter' folks sure will miss riding around Torrey this weekend. bncry.gif

Regards,

Mike O

Hey, there's no shame in trailering to Torrey, people! At least not in my eyes (but I won't be there, so my opinion doesn't count for much, not that it ever did...) tongue.gif

I'm sure the other attendees would agree with me though; better to have you there (no matter how you get there) than to not have you there on account of nasty riding weather blocking your path.

I'd be there, but I'm going to be tearing up the track this weekend!

(and, as a side note, when we do go to Torrey, we usually trailer half way! Such a better way to deal with elements you'd rather not ride through!) thumbsup.gif

Hey, there's no shame in trailering to Torrey

Better not be any shame, cause that's exactly what Jan and I are doing. This makes it way easier to take the F650's, and taking the F650's will allow me to play in the dirt. Why else would one go to Torrey if it isn't for the off-road stuff? smile.gif

Just so those who don't know me won't think I'm always a wimp, I did ride a 13 day 5404 mile trip this summer.

Stan

We were chomping at the bit to go but I'm at Chucker's house on the east side of the mountain range and every time we've tryed to route further south to get around the storm it seems to drop down and foil our attempts. We were all loaded and ready to go but it just isn't to be this time, so you guys that can make it safey have fun and we'll catch you another time.

draftermike,

chuck,

& k30 something or other, Al Hummel who just left for his home in Omaha a few minutes ago