IGNORED

Torrey XII Announcement

rdfrantz

New oil and filter on the Barkin Vstrom.

Cigars and KY jelly packed.

Just uploaded more Glen Campbell and Led Zepplin on the Ipod.

Is it thursday yet ?? I am ready to go now.

Bahh Bahh here little sheep.

Wurty's coming to Utah thumbsup.gif

I know this doesn't apply to a lot of you, but has anyone got a "fun" route selection from SLC/Provo to Torrey? I'm thinking hwy's 31 and 72 look interesting from maps. So, I was thinking 89->31->10->72. Any better suggestions? I'd also considered 6->24 through Capitol Reef. I've got all day, so I'm very flexible.

(It doesn't look like anyone from UT or further north is arriving on the 21st, so I'll be heading down alone - unless someone's registration is off)

So, I was thinking 89->31->10->72.
That's how I would come, especially if you haven't been on those roads before. 31 and 72 are great roads (GREAT!), 10 not so interesting but there's no choice really.

Hi Wurty,

Haven't had the chance to meet you yet, but with that kind of "diversity" in your music selection, you must be one interesting guy grin.gif. See you in Torrey!

That's how I would come, especially if you haven't been on those roads before. 31 and 72 are great roads (GREAT!), 10 not so interesting but there's no choice really.
Bring something warm to wear, 31 will climb over 9000 feet. It was still chilly the end of June with snow along side the road. Aside from that, spectacular sightseeing, incredible vistas, good road surface!

Hi Wurty,

Haven't had the chance to meet you yet, but with that kind of "diversity" in your music selection, you must be one interesting guy grin.gif. See you in Torrey!

Watch your step, Norah. Gleno's a Sunday School Teacher compared to Wurty.

Free advice: don't wear wool...it just excites him.

thumbsup.gif

I thought the Glen Campbell was just to keep you awake in the boring stretches. No one really listens to him do they? eek.gif

Sheep, what sheep? There's sheep in Utah? It just gets better and better. lmao.gif

Whichataw Lineman, Everyday Housewife, Gentle on my mind, By the time I get to Phoenix,

That just warms me up for the B-52's and I got some Frank Zappa in there too.

This Ipod is full of memmories of my life.

I think somewhere in that Ipod thing I have the entire album of Merideth Wison's the Music Man.

Now believe it or not that is my favorite and I have never even been to Gary Indiana.

I think I will listen to that just past downtown Barstow.

I think somewhere in that Ipod thing I have the entire album of Merideth Wison's the Music Man.

Now believe it or not that is my favorite and I have never even been to Gary Indiana.

I've got that same soundtrack as well, and every time "Wells Fargo Wagon" comes on, I think of you. I can almost smell the stinky ceegars when Lida Rose comes on. smile.gif

Matt,

I take it from your last comments you are leaving on Thursday 9/21 for Torrey?

There are 4 bikes leaving Friday morning if you want to join us.

Our route will either be just as you described, or we may go over Wolf Creek Pass 35 to Duchesne, down 191 > 6 > 96 > 31 > 10 > 72 > 24 into Torrey.

Blakesw is joining the Two-Up brigade on his RT. I say two-up as there will be 3 bikes with passengers (one R1150GS and two Road Kings). PM me and let me know if you want to join us.

If your plans are to go the day before, just keep an eye out for us when we arrive on Friday.

Why do I have the feeling this work week is going to creep on by? Can I leave yet? can I leave yet? can I leave yet?

See everyone there.

Why do I have the feeling this work week is going to creep on by? Can I leave yet? can I leave yet? can I leave yet?

See everyone there.

Free your mind and your ass will follow....or was it free your ass and your mind will follow?

As for clothing for those haven't been to Torrey there's normally a wide range of temps. Plan on the possiblity of going from temps of 40F - 110F all in the same day. The temps reported for Torrey are warmer than the mountain passes you may go through to get to Torrey.

If your plans are to go the day before, just keep an eye out for us when we arrive on Friday.

You'll be the ones on the BMW's right? lmao.giflmao.gif

I'll look for you guys on Friday. I sent you an email.

The secret is to leave some stuff that you HAVE to finish before you can leave for Torrey. That way, the time will just fly by and you'll wonder where all the time went. dopeslap.gif

As for clothing for those haven't been to Torrey there's normally a wide range of temps. Plan on the possiblity of going from temps of 40F - 110F all in the same day. The temps reported for Torrey are warmer than the mountain passes you may go through to get to Torrey.
Very TRUE!

I remember quite a few Torrey's ago on the way home we went over mountains with temps in the low 40's and hit 106*F in Blythe on the same day! eek.gif

As for clothing for those haven't been to Torrey there's normally a wide range of temps. Plan on the possibility of going from temps of 40F - 110F all in the same day. The temps reported for Torrey are warmer than the mountain passes you may go through to get to Torrey.
High yesterday 55.9, low last night 30.4, currently 40 at 9:20am - I've got the heater on! SLC had a record low maximum of 53 yesterday. Brrr. Beautiful clear day though...

(...) Gregori: I'm going to try to get the half shift off Wednesday night so we can leave our place by 06:00 and get to Torrey before too late (...). It's only ~700 miles and it's slab all the way to the UT-89 (via I-70)--that'll be a walk in the park compared to last Monday! eek.gifdopeslap.gif (...)

700 miles should only take, oh - 8 or 9 hours? I've got the V1, and the scanner - we should be good to go...

(But the Autocomm and Kenwood are still in the box... Uh-oh! Looks like a Chatterbox crisis!)

G

Edited by Gregori
a>

a>

I think it's time to MOTO... clap.gif

I think it's time for you to aquire some pc skillz. grin.gif

BTW...How does you feel about tri-tip next Thurs nite??

a>

a>

I think it's time to MOTO... clap.gif

I think it's time for you to aquire some pc skillz. grin.gif

BTW...How does you feel about tri-tip next Thurs nite??

I was afraid to say anything....Louise is gonna be with me in Torrey. grin.gif

Whip

Tritip on thurday sounds great.

I will be there early to OOGLE your hot Dishy wife and to help her set up the table.

Then you can show me some PC skills.

Wurty dopeslap.gif

Tritip on thurday sounds great.

I will be there early to OOGLE your hot Dishy wife and to help her set up the table.

Wurty dopeslap.gif

lmao.giflmao.giflmao.giflmao.giflmao.giflmao.giflmao.giflmao.gif

Wurty is going to learn PC (political correctness) skills form Gleno!!!!!! eek.gifeek.gifeek.gifeek.gifeek.gif

This I gotta see!!!

Killer

What is going on with the weather man? Lows in 30's. I was hoping for a little warmer weather. Guess I have to bring the liner after all. All I know is I am damn excited that this trip is 3 days away for us. This will be the first ride for Mary and me since The Lighthouse Tour in March. I have been pretty lucky lately. Last week I was on a 1100 mile 4 day trip to the Sierra's. Now we are embarking on a 1600 mile trip to Nevada, Utah, Arizona, and back to Ca. I am looking forward to meeting many of you I have had conversations with online or have had the pleasure to meet in person. We leave Huntington Beach Wednesday for Mesquite, Nv. for the night so if anyone would like to ride along or meet in Mesquite for the last segment of the ride Thursday morning send me a PM. See you in Torrey.

(...)

(...)

Uh - I'm thinkin' that Gleno is perhaps the least PC person here.

(Unless you think that "PC" stands for "Pulling (your) Chain" instead of "Politically Correct.")

Grins,

Greg

On edit: Looks like Phil beat me to the punch(line)...

(Sigh...)

Edited by Gregori

The Team Schnauzer Tour Bus is loaded and pointed toward Moab for Day 1 of this tour, and should rumble in to Thousand Lakes CG some time on Day 5 (Friday), many miles and stops later. This is our 3rd outing this year (a feat in itself), all of which have had a bmwst.com event as a destination (DV in January, Gunnison in June, and now Torrey XII). What's wrong with this picture? eek.gif Well, nothing really. thumbsup.gif

See ya! wave.gif

What is going on with the weather man? Lows in 30's. I was hoping for a little warmer weather.
Lows in the 20s last night - 29. By the weekend the lows are supposed to be back where they belong, mid 40s.

yeah, thx for the reminder Bob! as if my ride to work wasn't reminder enough. did all that come out right, i don't think my brain has thawed out yet! eek.gif

like you said earlier, "hopefully" temps will be back to normal by Friday, and they "look" like they will be! thumbsup.gif

All it takes is a little electricity!! Electric Gloves, Electric seats, Electric vest and pray nothing shorts out to fry your a**. lmao.gif

I have more problems with my shield fogging up than keeping warm. I thought about trying a snowmobile shield with the electric defogger running through it.

I am not able to go to Torrey this round, maybe next time for me.

Anyway, for those of you going 89 - 31- 10 or Fairview to Huntington, here is what things looked like up on top of the mountain this last weekend.

My in-laws have a cabin at the top of Fairview canyon, this cabin is at about 9,000 feet above sea level. the night time temps were 24f and only 34f during the day saturday.

this is what we woke up to saturday morning:

Cabin Snow resized 002.JPG

Here is where the road from fairview to huntington crosses on the far ridge where the clouds meet the ridge:

Cabin Snow resized 009.JPG

This is just a fun picture as some of the snow melted and was sliding off the roof. this stayed like this for an hour or so before it finally was heavy enough to break off and fall to the ground.

Cabin Snow resized 016.JPG

The weather should warm up a bit for you folks according to the forecast that Bob already posted. however my advice to those traveling in Utah by motorcycle is to plan for all four seasons on your ride. you may see them all as I have on previous rides.

Have fun!! looking forward to the trip reports after the gatherins is complete.

catch you next time.

Garry

well..., since this is my 1st motorcycle with that option, i had no idea when i bought it. i've been thinking about adding heated grips, which (so far) is really all i believe i need. however, as of right now, that's a little out of my league. i need to make a couple of TD's and get comfortable taking the bike apart and go from there.

Everything in its time. I just tell my wife it will make the bike safer. She told me it would have been cheaper to bury me. eek.gif I purchased the heated seats and never have installed them. I am quite warm with my gear and have not had a need for the seats. One day I will put them on Ebay and try and get some of my money back.

On my trip through Canada earlier this year the elec gloves were great. I don't have heated grips and the gloves were the ticket for me in the cold. I have only needed my electric vest once, but it was nice when needed.

Just decide what your main riding will be and where and gear up for that. Then you can add for trips as needed.

See you in Torrey. wave.gif

Everything in its time. I just tell my wife it will make the bike safer. She told me it would have been cheaper to bury me. eek.gif

this could be part of the reason that you're going alone... lmao.giflmao.giflmao.gif

The Team Schnauzer Tour Bus is loaded and pointed toward Moab for Day 1 of this tour, and should rumble in to Thousand Lakes CG some time on Day 5 (Friday), many miles and stops later. This is our 3rd outing this year (a feat in itself), all of which have had a bmwst.com event as a destination (DV in January, Gunnison in June, and now Torrey XII). What's wrong with this picture? eek.gif Well, nothing really. thumbsup.gif

See ya! wave.gif

Nothing at all, Joel! I look forward to meeting the rest of Team Schnauzer.

Yeah, I'm a last-minute "in". I look forward to seeing all of you. thumbsup.gif

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Killer,

How long do you think this route will take (i.e. how fast are these roads?)?

I can't leave Bozeman until about 6 PM on Thursday. I'm hoping to make it to Pocatello and spend the night there, then ride on Friday through SLC and on to Torry. I'd like to make it for the 5:30 soiree.

Guess I'm wondering how early I'm going to have to get up on Friday morning?

Killer,

I can't leave Bozeman until about 6 PM on Thursday. I'm hoping to make it to Pocatello and spend the night there, then ride on Friday through SLC and on to Torry. I'd like to make it for the 5:30 soiree.

Guess I'm wondering how early I'm going to have to get up on Friday morning?

Brian,

I'm not sure how long it takes to get to Torrey, but Myself, "andy" and a couple of other bikes are leaving the south end of the valley (Draper) around 10am Friday morning if you want to meet up with us. andy mentioned taking the "scenic" way but still getting there in time for the 5pm festivities.

FWIW, i mapquested BOZEMAN (MT) to DRAPER (UT) and it quotes just shy of 7 hours, obviously depending on how you drive. i'll let you do the math to figure out if that helps any.

I think you also need to consider weather. I was perfectly fine with my head in the sand, but as grizzly660fan was so kind to point out, fairview canyon (Hwy 31) might just be a tad bit snowy. I'm waiting to see what happens before I finalize my route. Anyone know a way to check the forecast for Fairview Canyon? Fairview (at the base of the canyon and much lower in altitude) has a 30% chance of rain (which in my experience tends to mean that it will be raining for about 30% of the trip) for Thursday and Friday, but I can't find anything specific about the canyon.

It may just be a game-time decision for me. We'll see.

I'm planning on slabbing it via I-70 (the best interstate if you have to do it!). Things are looking kinda dicy for Friday over Vail Pass

Friday: Mix of rain and snow showers. Highs in the upper 30s and lows in the mid 20s.

Mike O

SLC to Torrey the shortest route is going to be approx 4 hours if you don't stop and take pictures or anything.

from memory the route from 89 - 31- 10 - 72 (fabulous ride by the way) was almost the same time but more mileage. this is considering that you are pretty good at carving corners vs slowing down for them.

here is a cabin (not our family cabin) with a weather station that updates something like every 15 minutes and can give you a pretty good idea of weather conditions near fairview.

http://www.wa7x.com/weather.html

I believe Andy was going to go out via wolf creek pass (kamas, francis, hannah, tabiona) to duchesne and then south. so a different scenic route.

wolf creek is also up in elevation so bring your cold weather riding gear. its also a GREAT road!!!

either route gets you into some very good motorcycle roads. I wish I was going this time. I enjoyed last time I went!

Garry

OK, first of all, you told me you never announce that you're "in" until the last minute - because "you never know"... So that's no surprise.

What is surprising is that your "in" announcement is your post #666...

Or is that not surprising after all? lmao.giflmao.giflmao.gif

SLC to Torrey the shortest route is going to be approx 4 hours if you don't stop and take pictures or anything.

from memory the route from 89 - 31- 10 - 72 (fabulous ride by the way) was almost the same time but more mileage. this is considering that you are pretty good at carving corners vs slowing down for them.

here is a cabin (not our family cabin) with a weather station that updates something like every 15 minutes and can give you a pretty good idea of weather conditions near fairview.

http://www.wa7x.com/weather.html

I believe Andy was going to go out via wolf creek pass (kamas, francis, hannah, tabiona) to duchesne and then south. so a different scenic route.

wolf creek is also up in elevation so bring your cold weather riding gear. its also a GREAT road!!!

either route gets you into some very good motorcycle roads. I wish I was going this time. I enjoyed last time I went!

Garry

There's still time! I thought that's what this weekend was all about - no responsibility...? tongue.giflmao.gif

Blake,

Thanks for trying to tempt me, however, my job has me travellng this weekend. believe me I would rather be in Torrey with you guys than working!!!

I will get to torrey later in October just to get the wiggles out of my system. its just that I will be with another group of riders and not the ones here.

I will catch another torrey event, be sure of that!!

Garry

THanks for the invite, Blakesw. While I could probably make it to Draper by 10, I wouldn't want you guys sitting around on me if I got a bit behind. It would be fun to ride down in a group, but might be a little tight time-wise on Friday. But, say "hi" in Torry! Maybe we can ride together on Saturday on on the way back up on Sunday.