IGNORED

Today’s Exercise was…

TEWKS

22 hours ago, TEWKS said:

Pat, you must’ve been one hell of an athlete in your younger days!

I used to be fast, but now I am half-fast!:4322:

• Haha 2

30 Min at 106 HR-115,  27 Stokes per minute, 300 Calories, 100 Watts avg.Zone 3, then 1 Hour of Archery at 20 yard league, shot 449 out of 500. 

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, BrianT said:

Todays exercise was a walk on the beach, literally. Made for better scenery than my neighborhood. 

IMG_3385.thumb.jpeg.c5b2e036d2a420dd7b242b887fce53fb.jpeg

Sounds like a date!!!

• Haha 1
6 minutes ago, Rougarou said:

Sounds like a date!!!

Umm, do you mean like a date date? :rofl:

9:00 this morning at Kelly’s “boot camp”. (not sure why it’s called boot camp, we wear sneakers) :spittake:Tomorrow night @6:30 PM also, then back to work on Friday.

• Smile 1
  • Haha 1

May or may not get the cardio today,...got some odds/ends gotta take care of at the maison.

Did do some of the push exercises with the weights at work.  Flat, incline, decline and shoulder presses, along with some tri work thrown in.

Still hoping that I'll have time to really sweat this evening.

• Like 2

Anyone use those “pre workout” Mixes?  I’ll drink one before the night class but the problem with them is, at midnight I’m still up looking for a fresh BMWST post. :rofl:

• Like 1

Just finished 1/2 hr rowing, 5400 meters, Heart rate avg 102 Max 114 ~  Strokes per min. 23 Max 28,~ also rode bicycle 10 miles, 1/2 hr Hr 104 cadence 84  Tested my resting HR this morning it was 44. 

Those sports type booster drinks are for endurance, not a short class, even if it is an hour.  You will stay pumped up for quite a while.  Be careful with them, use them for a 3-hour workout, if not dilute them with water.  Watch your HR also, working out at night and elevating your HR, is a prescription of not sleeping, add sports drinks, you win the lottery. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Patallaire said:

Watch your HR also, working out at night and elevating your HR, is a prescription of not sleeping,

I dunno about that,....maybe its the military in me, but I've PT'd at 2030 at night and was out cold by 2145.

My mind is trained that once I hit the rack, it's dream time and ain'ta nuthin gonna stop that from happening,.....ask my wife.  She can't figure out how I can lay down and within single digit minutes be out.

• Like 2
  • Smile 1
2 hours ago, Rougarou said:

My mind is trained that once I hit the rack, it's dream time and ain'ta nuthin gonna stop that from happening,.....ask my wife.  She can't figure out how I can lay down and within single digit minutes be out.

My boss likes to tell me stories about his old man, 60-something guy that works 60 hours/week in a factory AND operates a farm. Always doing something on the farm, takes every minute of overtime offered, regular sleep is a couple hours per night.

Guy gets his rest whenever and wherever he can. When the coffee break bell goes off at the factory, he grabs a chair, hides in a corner somewhere and falls asleep *instantly*. Ten minutes later back at work. Repeat for lunch and afternoon break. Been doing it for years, so he says.

Jealous...on the sleep part.  NOT on the over working part.

My wife can't believe how fast I'm asleep once I hit the rack. Sometimes literally seconds before I'm out.

I've also taken up the habit of sometimes falling asleep on the couch while sitting up watching TV, right after work, or later in the evening. That's kind of new.

18 minutes ago, syntorz said:

My boss likes to tell me stories about his old man, 60-something guy that works 60 hours/week in a factory AND operates a farm. Always doing something on the farm, takes every minute of overtime offered, regular sleep is a couple hours per night.

Guy gets his rest whenever and wherever he can. When the coffee break bell goes off at the factory, he grabs a chair, hides in a corner somewhere and falls asleep *instantly*. Ten minutes later back at work. Repeat for lunch and afternoon break. Been doing it for years, so he says.

Jealous...on the sleep part.  NOT on the over working part.

Father in law is in his 80's, while he is retired from his job, the guy is fully active.  He maintains his yard, two neighbors and three daughters yards.  The man never stops moving........I wanna be like that in my 80's.

5 minutes ago, Hosstage said:

My wife can't believe how fast I'm asleep once I hit the rack. Sometimes literally seconds before I'm out.

I've also taken up the habit of sometimes falling asleep on the couch while sitting up watching TV, right after work, or later in the evening. That's kind of new.

If'n I'm watching a flick from the sofa and start getting droopy eyed or doing the bobbing chicken, I'm carrying my happy ass to bed.  I have personal rule/s, I only sleep in a bed and I refuse to nap during the day.

Years in the grunts, it was learned to sleep anywhere, on rocks, in the rain, on helicopters, in armored personnel carriers, on stairs, get your sleep because sleep isn't promised.  Now, bed is the only place I crash.

"...but I'm as good once as I ever was."

Just sayin EVERYTHING gets tougher (except YOU).  An' gettin' old IS NOT as great as it's cracked up to be.  "It ain't easy, it ain't fun, it ain't cheap, and it's not for sissies."

And, talking about exercising, it takes longer and longer to recover from ANY exertion.  Doing your normal daily exercise/chores/hobbies is ok, but if you do something that requires extra mental or physical effort, especially riding long distances or challenging off-road rides, it takes longer and longer to recover both mentally and physically. 

The real problem is that if you are injured or sick, getting back to where you were before is very difficult compared to when you were younger.  Say you were doing 50 sit-ups 3 times a week and got the flu, couldn't do anything for several weeks, tried to start up again and found you could only do 10 at a time.  To build back up you need to do 12 then 15 etc.  Each time you take a set up it may take 2-3 days to recover enough where you could do the same count again.  So that stretches out the recovery way longer than you are used to (and mentally prepared for).  And, this recovery time seems to get longer and longer so that it gets harder and harder to get back to where you were.  Eventually, .....(I'll have to get back to you about this part).  But, the moral of the story is to KEEP and MAINTAIN whatever physical conditioning you have.  If you don't have much and are young enough, better get on a program however mild and MAINTAIN it.  Enough on that.

• Like 1

I have personal rule/s, I only sleep in a bed and I refuse to nap during the day.

Ah, the voice of youth.  Write that one down and let us know how it works at 75/80.

4 hours ago, Red said:

I have personal rule/s, I only sleep in a bed and I refuse to nap during the day.

Ah, the voice of youth.  Write that one down and let us know how it works at 75/80.

My 80 plus father in law doesn't nap during the day.  I have seen him sleep on a sofa but that was after a hurricane and it was his daughters house. He'll head to be about 2100 and be up at 0500. Once his morning coffee and breakfast are done he's out the door. 

It does get old hearing stuff like that,......wait until your 30s, wait until your 40s, wait until your 50s, I've been waiting for odd things to happen yet only really the grey hair (for me started in 8th gde) and eyes have come along,.....ears are bad from too much books boom and pew-pews.

There are centurions that run marathons, recently a 104 year old woman jumped outta a plane, several up in number folks still put on a pack and hike the wilderness. The age will affect you if you let the age affect you. Keep moving to keep agile. I refuse to stir still and aspire to be able to continue to do manual labor like my father in law,......guy is a hard ass(and that's a complimentary hard ass).

I've lost 90 pounds over 3 years. I try to walk every day at least 7500 steps. Planet fitness three times a week for strength training and work on core. As I got older, I just don't eat or drink as much but this is offset with a slower metabolism and my pulse averages 44 as a result of A-Fib 12 years ago. I eat mostly protein which I love. Not overly crazy about dieting, just more aware of calories and try to stay away from getting my day's calories in some fast food item. Careful on carbs, sugar, and fried food. I look at labels before buying. I want something filling that is not too high in calories.

That being said, on my trip two weeks ago to Kansas, I stopped for double cheeseburger sliders at White Castle because you have to have a sin day every once in a while to keep your sanity. Also stopped at the Amana Colony bakery for an incredible Cherry Rhubarb pie for my Kansas hosts. But that's the exception, just being more careful in general about calories and the only snack after dinner is plain hot air popcorn. Moderation seems to work. I got to be 267 due to excess and not moving enough. We are all different and there is no one way. But it does take some work, intentionality, and discipline with a sprinkling of being nice to ourselves and allowing some guilty pleasures.

Just saying.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

30 minutes core Physical Thereapy excercise.I do some neck exercises with this for helmeted blindspot checking while on the mortarcycle. 

30 minutes vigorous  mountainbiking on paved surface.  

• Like 2

Brain takes at least a month to rewire, longer if a behavior is deeply grooved. So keep expectations reasonable and build in some intermittent reinforcements. Small rewards go a long way.

• Like 1

I gave up soda (been a couple years) working hard to eliminate chocolate bars. Beer, I have a couple or five, at the springtime START events. I go to the “boot camp” exercise program I mentioned before 3 to 5 times a week and an occasional dog walk. Years into this routine now.

Doing some “right” things but I honestly feel like I’m stuck in neutral. Again, fighting the aging process is probably more the culprit in not seeing results I’d like to see.

My younger brother, a madman hiker, construction worker says your body gets use to a routine and unless you change it up every now and again, you ain’t going to see a change. :dontknow:

I probably agree with that.

I hear what you're saying Tewks. Our metabolic rate naturally decreases with aging. Fortunately, I'm finding my appetite decreasing as well. Wifey and I used to prepare a whole box of pasta for dinner. Now it's half the box and we still have enough for lunch the next day. Same with a steak. A one pound steak is enough for us to share for dinner with a hunk for breakfast or lunch the next day. I think that eating less helps our slower metabolism in combination with avoiding or at least decreasing high calorie items. Here is a short good read. https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/10-ways-to-boost-metabolism. Good luck.

• Thanks 1

My exercise has been an hour on the Airdyne just about every day.  Added to this is lifting a few days a week.  What has really helped me do more time on the Airdyne has been using a Kindle to read.  I just attach it to the head unit with an elastic band, turn on some high beats per minute (bpm) music in the background, and ride/read.  Down about 40 pounds over the last year.

• Like 1

Just ate some Chinese Food, waiting to go into exercise class! Is he going to puke? :5146: I hope not, that would be embarrassing! :classic_blush:

5 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

Just ate some Chinese Food, waiting to go into exercise class! Is he going to puke? :5146: I hope not, that would be funny! :classic_blush:

• Haha 1
3 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

Agree, it would be funny if it was somebody else. :spittake: No pukey! :clap:

After a night of heavy drinking, getting back to the ship at 0300 to get a little nap and be woken at 0530 for a run start at 0600,........just guess the events of those runs.

• Smile 1

Richard said

After a night of heavy drinking, getting back to the ship at 0300 to get a little nap and be woken at 0530 for a run start at 0600,........just guess the events of those runs.

I bet those smells are permanently etched into your memory bank! :classic_blink: Kinda like being on an ambulance, puke, poo and blood. Get past those three and ya got it made. :yes: :classic_biggrin:

• Like 1
4 hours ago, TEWKS said:

Richard said

I bet those smells are permanently etched into your memory bank! :classic_blink: Kinda like being on an ambulance, puke, poo and blood. Get past those three and ya got it made. :yes: :classic_biggrin:

You forgot decomposition.  And yes I've had those three with decomp for a wonderful experience waiting for the coroner a few times.

• Like 2
  • Smile 1
6 hours ago, BrianT said:

You forgot decomposition.  And yes I've had those three with decomp for a wonderful experience waiting for the coroner a few times.

Oh yeah, not as common and it’s a quick in and out, no transport. But a very distinct smell that stays in your nostrils for a while. 

PS… I didn’t know you were one of the people that we turned the scene over to…and then were able to get the heck out of there! :burnout:Thanks! :clap:

• Haha 1
5 hours ago, Red said:

Never mind.  I was going to reply she died 4 days later, but then my two flickering brain cells said no, that was the 104 year old woman who died 3 days after her jump.

Here you go.

https://www.oldest.org/sports/marathon-runners/

The number one guy didn't start running until in his 80's

And for the actual ladies

https://www.boston.com/community/boston-marathon/meet-the-runner-who-took-on-boston-at-32-weeks-pregnant/

https://www.today.com/health/running-while-pregnant-woman-goes-viral-5-25-mile-9-t195182

https://www.espn.com/story/_/id/7084374/oh-baby-woman-runs-chicago-marathon-gives-birth