IGNORED

Today’s Exercise was…

TEWKS

9 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

Girl. 

edit…

Would you work harder for a girl instructor or a guy? 

Depends on how you define "harder".

3 minutes ago, Witty_Low said:

Today was my leg day. Squats and calf raises. I do it, but really hate it! Wednesday is Upper body day! yea!:4607:

The heavy things above is at my work.  All that stuff is employee donated.  I try to do a modified full body gig most days of the week that include some sort of "leg misery".  

I'm no longer trying to grow, just trying to keep everything from atrophying more than what it has since I left active duty and had more dedicated motivation.

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, Rougarou said:

I'm no longer trying to grow, just trying to keep everything from atrophying more than what it has since I left active duty 

That’s about the best we can do over 50. I describe it as just clinging on to what muscle is left.

If it wasn’t for the “Rage” I’d try some Roids! :D

kidding, I’ve excepted the downward slide

5 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

That’s about the best we can do over 50. I describe it as just clinging on to what muscle is left.

If it wasn’t for the “Rage” I’d try some Roids! :D

kidding, I’ve excepted the downward slide

If it wasn't for the "legality", I'd be on Deca Durabolin and Winstrol,.....they're stable and just like many other types of "drug", taken responsibly, it will work.  I knew several that were on Deca when I was active duty, but I wasn't gonna chance it eventhough the urinalysis wouldn't pick it up (per the substance abuse course).  Also, per our legal and the substance abuse counselors, for any one to get ran up for steroids, the individual actually had to be witnessed taking the stuff,.....kinda hard to witness it when most shoot up behind a closed door.   

One of our Sergeants decided he didn't want to stay around, so he left.  I had the unfortunate duty to inventory his room.  This guy was bulky.  Anyway, several packages of Deca were noted and that's when I found out from legal that the only thing they could do was prosecute him for the possession and not the actual use.  Odd how that works. 

On a couple of deployments, us SNCO's got to do a "health and comfort" inspection of the troops lockers on the ship.  Vials and vials of the stuff, in many different "unmarked" lockers were found.  A couple of the broomstick thick guys grew immensely during those deployments as they sell it over the counter at Pharmacia's throughout the foreign lands.

We also found several of "Austin Power's" toys during those inspections

• Like 1

There was a time I was placed on T therapy. I didn't note any increase in strength but did notice that I had hair thinning and got more aggressive  which was a pita to have to recognize and control. I eventually said the negatives outweighed the supposed benefits and quit. Richard did you notice that in any of your guys?

Edit: After Reagan was shot he claimed in his rehab using a Cybex machine he was building muscle. Just a FYI.

• Like 1
48 minutes ago, MT Wallet said:

. Richard did you notice that in any of your guys?

Any aggressiveness,....in Marines, nah aint'a gonna happen,....pacifist the lot of us.

The beefy clown that went UA, he was laid back as anyone I knew.  The broomstick guy was mostly soft spoken, but had a tendency to get loud, but not confrontational/physical.

Broomstick guy had "on steroids" by dan duchaine and stated that he followed the guidance (prescription) without indulging in the want to "do more", which seems to be the problem with steroid use.  If I can get a little bit big, why not do more and get a lotta bit big.

I always said I wanted an Aaron Tippin build, nothing big, but you know the guy is stout.

• Haha 1
2 minutes ago, Rougarou said:

Any aggressiveness,....in Marines, nah aint'a gonna happen,....pacifist the lot of us.

:classic_biggrin:

I’d think being big and bulky would be a disadvantage in the field of battle. More target? :dontknow:

John Ranalletta
18 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

I’d think being big and bulky would be a disadvantage in the field of battle. More target? :dontknow:

Read that Army infantryman will carry an average of 115lbs of kit into battle.  If "big and bulky" = able to squat a few hundred lbs, press a couple and deadlift 400, seems preferable.  Seems (no experience here) army thinks ability to run 5 miles more important.  I wouldn't know.

The challenge with weight loss is one cannot lose fat w/o losing muscle and vice versa, i.e. one cannot gain muscle without gaining some fat.  At the advanced age of some here (moi) losing muscle mass is death sentence.  Also, my experience says it's difficult if not impossible to "exercise" weight off.

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, John Ranalletta said:

Read that Army infantryman will carry an average of 115lbs of kit into battle.  If "big and bulky" = able to squat a few hundred lbs, press a couple and deadlift 400, seems preferable.  Seems (no experience here) army thinks ability to run 5 miles more important.  I wouldn't know.

Read "The Soldiers Load and the Mobility of a Nation" by SLA Marshall.  

Pack-wise, I've humped 40-80lbs depending on requirements.  That didn't include weapons system, flak, helmet, water weight and shiat like that,.....just pack weight.

John Ranalletta
1 hour ago, TEWKS said:

Pat, how much would the average fire fighter be carrying in full turn out gear and maybe one implement?  How much does a section of hose weigh?

• Like 1

Turnout gear and air tank is probably about fifty pounds. Get it wet and it gets heavier. That tends to happen just as you’re coming off your adrenaline rush. The adrenaline makes the weight disappear. (again for a little bit) :P Axe & Halligan (the Irons) are probably thirty pounds. 

Good question about the weight of the gear, it’s only a guess (betting it’s close) but I’ll have the ability to weigh it on Thursday. I’ll get back to you. :thumbsup:

4 hours ago, Rougarou said:

The beefy clown that went UA, he was laid back as anyone I knew.  The broomstick guy was mostly soft spoken, but had a tendency to get loud, but not confrontational/physical.

Broomstick guy had "on steroids" by dan duchaine and stated that he followed the guidance (prescription) without indulging in the want to "do more", which seems to be the problem with steroid use.  If I can get a little bit big, why not do more and get a lotta bit big.

I always said I wanted an Aaron Tippin build, nothing big, but you know the guy is stout.

I guess I walked into that one LOL. I should have asked if there was a personality change with the roids they used.

17 hours ago, Rougarou said:

Read "The Soldiers Load and the Mobility of a Nation" by SLA Marshall.  

Pack-wise, I've humped 40-80lbs depending on requirements.  That didn't include weapons system, flak, helmet, water weight and shiat like that,.....just pack weight.

Yes, as an Army combat Medic I humped on average or over 100lbs all the time including my aid bag in top of my ruck with all of the medical goodies.  That's also minus all the other heavy kit that we wear. I was young then.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Was back at the “fitness factory” earlier tonight. Set to do it again tomorrow morning @9:00. Don’t know the calorie count but I sweated my arse off. :dance:Oh yeah, got to smash the tire tonight! :yes:

The wife told me awhile back that she lost some weight. I replied, look behind you and you'll find it. :rofl:  That didn't go over so well.

• Haha 1
9 hours ago, TEWKS said:

Was back at the “fitness factory” earlier tonight. Set to do it again tomorrow morning @9:00. Don’t know the calorie count but I sweated my arse off. :dance:Oh yeah, got to smash the tire tonight! :yes:

I don't like calorie count as a metric,.....I'm also not a fan of the weight number either.  With the density of muscle weight compared to fat weight, a person's weight number can be higher, yet be more "slimmer" than the lighter fatbody.

This is the gadget that I'm using when I get home that shows those results above

https://www.bowflex.com/max-trainer/m6/100755.html

Anyway, I'm good with not losing my breath climbing stairs and am able to stay active all day in the heat and keep on keeping on.   

41 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

“Do I look fat in this?” Is the single most asked “trick” question in any relationship. :rofl:

Glad I gots a wife that likes blunt honesty, 'cause I can just say "those clothes ain't whats making you look fat":classic_biggrin:

• Smile 1

Got sweaty at exercise and a little bloody on the way home. :classic_angry: Some guy I’m (being nice) here decided to ride the yellow line with his big mirrored clapped out F250. I got over as far as I could but it wasn’t enough. Broken mirror blasted me with glass shards, but it cleaned up ok.

IMG_4021.thumb.jpeg.572ac0bd2d29ce1208c1082f78eceb02.jpeg

• Sad 1

Just finished a hellish upper body workout. I found that cutting my weights in half and gradually quadrupling the reps gets me the same results without the joint problems of heavy lifting. I had to take my young boy ego out of it to finally make it happen.🤳

• Like 1
  • Smile 1
18 minutes ago, Hosstage said:

What, they don't have lockers for you to hang your clothes? .....

Ya, there's lockers.  If you referring to that red thing, that's a strap.

I only do 30 minute quick circuit of stuff, so I don't fully change over.  Take off the working shirt and go to town.

Years ago, I had my bicycle here and would do 15 mile at lunch or run 3-5, shower then back to work.  

11 hours ago, TEWKS said:

“Do I look fat in this?” Is the single most asked “trick” question in any relationship. :rofl:

I understand that it has also been phrased as "do these jeans make me look fat?"   :burnout:

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Rougarou said:

Ya, there's lockers.  If you referring to that red thing, that's a strap.

I only do 30 minute quick circuit of stuff, so I don't fully change over.  Take off the working shirt and go to town.

Years ago, I had my bicycle here and would do 15 mile at lunch or run 3-5, shower then back to work.  

Nope, wasn't referring to the red thing, I was referring to the whole apparatus as a clothes hanger, the fate of most exercise equipment!

1 hour ago, Hosstage said:

Nope, wasn't referring to the red thing, I was referring to the whole apparatus as a clothes hanger, the fate of most exercise equipment!

Nah, this stuff gets actual intended use by a few people. 

• Like 1

Todays cardio, Manhattan Beach Old Hometown 10K event. Up until a couple of weeks ago, I forgot I signed up and hadn’t gotten in enough miles training to get my distance up. So I ran half and walked half to avoid overdoing it and injuring myself …. again. 

Lined up for the start. I swear the starting line is waaay up there somewhere. 

IMG_3376.thumb.jpeg.6c4e3c2475e1c6760d7fcde394d50c6d.jpeg

Mid course it’s all downhill from here to the beach. 
IMG_3377.thumb.jpeg.d4eefc1709c8bf8fd3a9766e81abd1ac.jpeg

Are we there yet?

IMG_3378.thumb.jpeg.35cd75099e056cd76d2437bd21fedb7d.jpeg

• Like 3

I slipped off the chin-up bar and landed face first right into a bowl of ice cream. :facepalm: :classic_biggrin: 

image.gif.a75cd43043ea40ae95184b7289243980.gif

No, I’m kidding, at work today but the damn EMT’s stopped on the way back from a call and brought back a dozen assorted and very fresh, chocolate with chocolate, vanilla with chocolate, vanilla with vanilla cupcakes! 

One, only had one.

• Like 1
  • Smile 1
  • Haha 2

45 min on Concept 2 rower at 26 SPM - HR at 95, zone 2, ~30 min kettlebell swings 35 and 50 # and deadlifts and squats, and overhead lifts. At 75, I feel great. 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Patallaire said:

At 75, I feel great. 

Hope that's me when I grow up to 75. 58 now.

Me, ran 30 minutes, exactly. I think I'm at a 10 minute mile.

• Like 3

Wow, more to it than most would know. “His primary job is being a morale booster”. :thumbsup: Funny, “Pork Chop” Kelly’s dog is deaf (not that, that matters) but her job is smile making. :classic_biggrin:

• Smile 1

8000 meters this morning at a 97 HR, and 28 SPM. 45 min. then TRX for 15 min and Kettlebell at 35 # for 15 min. Burned 500 calories. Trying to stay within Zone 2 for the rest of the month. Usually ride my bike 20 miles in 1 hr at zones 3-4.  End of the season, no need to stay intense, just maintain and fat burn. 

• Like 2

Today was my upper body day: Slight incline Bench, Barbell rows, Bicep cable curls and Triceps cable push downs. Not my favorite thing to do, but I manage to get it done.

• Like 1