IGNORED

Today’s Exercise was…

TEWKS

This may be a little on the personal side but, let’s give it a try. I’ve been fighting the bulge for a lot of years. (diet more than likely is the fix that needs fixing) But, I’ve been exercising in one form or another to offset that. Maybe posting what you did to burn a few calories will motivate all of us to move a little more.  :4315:

This morning I took the dogs for a 2.5 mile walk. 

John Ranalletta
34 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

This may be a little on the personal side but, let’s give it a try. I’ve been fighting the bulge for a lot of years. (diet more than likely is the fix that needs fixing) But, I’ve been exercising in one form or another to offset that. Maybe posting what you did to burn a few calories will motivate all of us to move a little more.  :4315:

This morning I took the dogs for a 2.5 mile walk. 

Intermittent fasting seems to be working for some of my friends.  One eats only one meal/day, regular dinner.  No snacks after dinner.  I did it for a week and dropped 4 lbs, but most pounds are shed in the front end of any program.

• Like 2
  • Thinking 1

I was overweight when I retired in 2019. I decided to change food and no exercise regiment. The wife and I started on the new weight watchers point system. It’s nothing like the old one. We eat fish, chicken, vegetables, and fruit. We cut out sugar and booze almost entirely. I walk ( in good weather) 2-4 miles 4-5 times a week. I lost 45 pounds in 9 months. Snacks are few but always fruit like grapes, cherries, etc. we stopped eating bread and rice. No food after dinner until next day. One of the things a couple of Dr’s told me was to cut out soda’s. I was drinking 3-4 diet cokes daily. Haven’t had one now in almost 10 years. I’ve gained about 8lbs back this summer but still down 37. I’ll loose that weight when it cools down. Summer has been unusually brutal this year so slowed my walking

You dont have to join the weight watchers program. There are tons of recipes for the new program. Do go to their site and put in your data so you know how many points you can have daily and how many you can cheat on the weekend

• Like 1

I've lost hundreds of pounds over the past 25 years.  Loose from January to May.  Gain from June to Dec.  My self diagnosed problem is I don't make permanent changes in eating/drinking.  It's keto (protein & low carb veg) and no booze to loose.  Revert to old self to (re)gain.  It's pretty simple. 

Exercising to lose fat is not very efficient.  Good for cardio and cognitive, but not efficient at fat loss.  I used to belong to a fitness center as it is very cold here in winter and cardio is tough to get unless it's moving snow;).  I could be on a treadmill for 45 minutes set at a 3% slope doing 3+mph and only burn about 400 cal.  1 double quarter pounder with cheese sans fries and soda 780 calories.  Until I can make the sift to eat like a bird and give up scotch and micro beer, I'm destined to yo yo my girth.

• Like 3
  • Plus 1 1

BAck in the day, I was purty heavy.   At that time, I started my day by walking 30 minutes before breakfast; immediately after getting up.   The older one gets, the harder it becomes to shed weight.

"Eat less and exercise" is a phenomonal way to get in shape.   Perhaps you have heard of this revolutionary weight-loss program.  :whistle:

Another tip is drink plenty of water.   The formula I used to calculate water intake was to drink at least half my body weight, in ounces, to help lose weight.   I was told there would be no math in this thread, but if a person weighs 200 lbs, he must drink at least 100 oz of water each day.   That is harder to do in the winter time; trust me.   Slowly build up to that by drinking one more glass per day than your current intake.  Spread it out over a few days in the beginning.   I do not walk as much in the morning anymore, but I at least drink 2 full glasses of water before breakfast (about 30-32 oz).   While on the subject of water, that should be the only liquid you should consume.  No sodas, period.  There is no nutrional value in them.  Water rules.    On the weekend, treat yourself to an alcoholic bevarage, but keep it in moderation.  Try giving it up for a month, or so, to give yourself a head start.  Then, only in moderation.  Yeah, it is hard to do, but.....

Another tip I heard about was to brush your teeth after a meal to rid your mouth of the craving for sweets or eating more food.   I have not done that often, but it helps clean the coffee residue out, which makes me want to eat some sweet unhealthy food.  :dontknow:  

• Like 3

Pat:

I exercise in the morning for 20-25 minutes on days that I don't go swimming. When I swim, I do 3/4 of mile of laps; I'm fortunate that I like to swim, and we have a nice public pool close by. I also go walking (3-5 miles) or running (2-4 miles) near everyday. As William noted, diet and exercise are the secret. Again, I'm fortunate in that I like doing these things. Also, doing these things keeps me ready for whatever opportunity comes up.

Del

• Like 2

+1 on all the above.

First, I'm no expert on nuthin and not even a good example for anything, so:

I've found that "Exercise" by itself is NOT the answer, but it is a huge help directly and indirectly.

I've been "exercising" since starting high school, first it was running, then other stuff as well.  For the last 20-30 years I've been a member of a local "gym", currently the LA Fitness (where it's free with the "Silver Sneakers" program from medical insurance).  

"Habits" can be good or bad.  Trouble is, bad habits are easy to start and hard to stop while the opposite is true of most good habits.  Going to a gym is a good habit.  It's much easier to get into and maintain if:  1)  it's easy and quick to get to, and 2) you meet or have friends that go there, too.  It can easily be a "social" event, too, i.e. I'd never shot skeet until one of the guys mentioned it one day and I asked what exactly skeet was.  We ended up going to the local skeet field regularly for several years together, until covid shut it down and ammo prices doubled and tripled.

Being somewhat "toned" muscle wise, is VERY helpful for riding, too.  This was discussed here recently by someone who had back pain between his shoulder blades and exercise was recommended.  I know it sure helps me.  

Every January 1, I see a bunch of new faces in the gym.  They mostly are gone in 2-3 weeks.  I also see some really overweight people who are trying and not sticking around very long because it's tough getting started, easy to stop, it's not (and CAN'T be) working for them, and it might be embarrassing for them.  I wish I could help or at least encourage them but don't know how.

For me, I alternate between "upper body" and cardio (lower - legs) workouts.  Twenty minutes on a stair-stepper or thirty minutes on the machines and I outa there.  EZPZ.  Maybe longer if I ask someone about the Cobra in the parking lot or a buddy wants to borrow a chainsaw.  BUT, part of the routine is getting on the scales every time to check the weight.  THREE times I've had people sneak up behind me to put a toe on the scale.  First was a buddy, big prankster, everyone got a big chuckle.  Last two times were complete strangers.  Second time was a chubby blond girl cop and cutup.  We had a good laugh, still see and talk to her there.  Last time was just last week, another "old guy" walking by.  We laughed.  What is it about me anyway??

Anyway, checking the weight 3-4-5 times a week, while I'm there, same scale, and part of the routine is a very beneficial habit.  First thing doctors ask is "any weight gain or loss recently?" and for a reason.  The nurses are impressed when they ask my weight and I say "188 in gym shorts so 191 in street clothes" and I'm right on it. Most people have no idea.  If my weight is off a pound or two, up or down, it's very easy to correct.  Kinda like riding a bike; if you get off the trail or path a foot or two it's easy to get back, but if you get way off it can be a struggle to get back.

The best way I've found to lose a few pounds is to not eat any supper for a day or two.  Find something very interesting to do and I don't even notice it until the next morning.  But, "supper" is the best meal to miss because the food doesn't convert to fat cells while sleeping - breakfast and lunch get burned off.  Works well for me.

Getting old is new to me but I learned that it gets harder and harder.  And, just recovering from anything strenuous takes longer and longer.  Doing the same things regularly is not much trouble, but anything extra causes problems, fatigue and sleep issues.  Also, I found the hard way it's MUCH easier to maintain than to develop strength and endurance when you're old, SO, it might be best to get into a regular routine ASAP.  DO NOT start with a bang or try to do it all the first day, you'll just be setting yourself up for trouble.   Start VERY softly, just to get in the rhythm and gradually work your way into it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Great write up Lowndes! :thumbsup: 

Today I went to the “fitness factory” been going for a lot of years. It’s the only thing I’ve really ever stuck with, oh, motorcycles too, can’t shake that habit. :classic_biggrin:

She has mornings and nights on Monday, I’ll be back there tonight for an extra. I have to miss tomorrow & Thursday.

Funny, I only sweat from the tits down! :rofl:

image.thumb.jpeg.c9d423209dde7c2ae5fc05fcc6bead63.jpeg

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Rougarou said:

Ladies,….you gotta make your bodies sweat

IMG_3290.thumb.jpeg.0004fdceecc405fb71640a8ffee5109c.jpeg

IMG_3292.thumb.png.0324855955371a46e68808ebbcdcf990.png

IMG_3291.thumb.png.d106807d24bc13f0cc48536f6031854c.png

I find the Nordic Trak to be about the best home exercise equipment, it holds the most clothes.

• Like 1
  • Smile 1
  • Haha 2
35 minutes ago, Hosstage said:

I find the Nordic Trak to be about the best home exercise equipment, it holds the most clothes.

Neva had clothes hanging on our torture devices 

4 hours ago, MT Wallet said:

I went downstairs today and sure enough the stepper machine and the treadmill were when I left them last. Went back upstairs-it felt so good.

Any clothes stacked up on them?

• Haha 1

When I was real portly, back in the day, I would tell folks that is was in my genes jeans.

Thanks.  I'll get the lights.

• Smile 1
33 minutes ago, wbw6cos said:

I would tell folks that is was in my genes jeans.

When my wife would tell me I was getting a belly, I would say, don't worry honey it all turns into d_ _ _ _ after midnight  :3:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Getting in the spirit of the thread. Todays gym brought to you by Mother Nature. 

IMG_3353.thumb.jpeg.fe35ec135c4cdd7a812f764c6d5c6b8b.jpeg

So much for sunny Southern California. I must have missed to forecast of rain. Not a lot, just enough to get everything wet. Problem was it didn’t start until 5 minutes into my run, so I didn’t have the right gear on. Not enough rain to turn back.  Liquid sunshine. Got ‘er dun. 3.5 miles. 

• Like 2
  • Smile 1

No "exercise" today, but did spread about three yards of mulch and planted two rhododendron's.  The shoveling was exercise enough.

11 minutes ago, Hosstage said:

If shoveling and raking are such good exercise, how come there are no rakes or shovels at the gym?

I don’t see a lot of hefty landscapers, must be some truth to it. :dontknow:

Kelly has a big front end loader tire and a couple sledgehammers. Certain routines, we get to smash the tire with the hammer! :yes: It relates back to firefighting pretty well cuz sometimes, we gotta smash shit! :spittake:

image.jpeg.2db709522ca19aaaf31ca9fa9c85803f.jpeg

3 minutes ago, Hosstage said:

Kinda jealous

One of our guys breaking shit. This wasn’t part of the “breaking shit training” but it sure was funny! :spittake:

• Haha 3

Be careful not to sweat to much Pat. I had a friend that had that problem and ended up having to buy a new Bra size. Just sayin  :rofl:

• Haha 2

The actual walk was 10. The rest was accumulated putzing around. I try to do 2-3 most days, 10 mile on Saturday, and notta on Sunday. I was pretty slack this summer due to crazy heat. Only 2 days in august less than 100. I’m back in the saddle now that it has cooled to 94ish. Shoes last about 3 months

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

Did the 2.5 mile dog walk thing but then, had a bowl of chocolate ice cream. :facepalm:  

So, all evened out!

• Like 1

Here’s the drug. :classic_biggrin: Topped it with some Nutella and crushed up Cracklin’ oat bran. :lick: That’s my cheat for the week.

image.thumb.jpeg.034e62c45abbea8d96ed5d3449c55dac.jpeg

• Haha 1