IGNORED

START 2016 - To HeleN Back again

Kinsley

Bud, the 7GS is a nice smaller bike. Far nicer than the 650GS that I crossed the country on several times. Either I'll need to use a lighter bike as I age or I'll give it to my daughter at some point.

Craig, I'll be in Pa. with family for my 80th birthday that weekend. Hope to see all of you next time.

Does not seem possible you are a big 8-0! You wear it well my friend! :wave:

Craig,

Add me to the "Thinking about it" list. I may bring a friend, Jim Kalahan who some will remember. We would arrive Thu and depart Sat.

Jeez, I didn't know anything had happened.

Just some overdue repairs from 20-year-old flag football wear & tear. Back on my feet (and 2 wheels) soon.

Blind Squirrel

I'm interested, but do not want to pay $99/night. If anyone with a standard room decides to cancel, please let me know so I can get the standard room.

Thanks!

Reservations made for Wed - Saturday.

Bike will have new engine oil seals, clutch, tires and my Ohlins will have been serviced. Hopefully I can ride down and back without problems! :grin::thumbsup:

Bike will be ready but at this point not sure that I will be. Will probably not be able to make the call more than a week or two before START '16.

Life is great but not always easy!

I eat well, and have exercised aerobically at least 3 times a week for years. Well last January I started to notice a slight sense of vertigo/dizziness and slight sense of being out of breath when I would ran up the stairs quickly in our home. It happened enough times that I felt I needed to see a physician about it. Last February a few tests were done and all appeared to be normal and they told me that I might just be dehydrated and to start drinking more liquids each day. Well, I drank like a fish and felt the symptoms had stopped but the symptoms started again so in June I had more tests that included a controlled stress test. No signs of any problems - did over 13 minutes on the tread mill and they said that the best athletes can not do more than 14 minutes. I saw a cardiologist and they said I likely had very firm heart muscle and that under quick stress (without warm up) I was not getting enough oxygen pumped up to my brain quickly enough. He told me not to run up stairs. In November the same symptoms and a sense of being much more tired and needing more sleep prompted me to ask more questions of the people at Walter Reed National Medical Center. I spoke to a new, to me, cardiologist and he said we definitely needed to get a diagnosis. After a Cardiac MRI die study and other test they finally determined I had considerable blockage in four of the main arteries of my heart and told me I would need to have an angiogram and likely the placement of 3 or 4 stents. Got this news the day before I departed for the holidays with my family in Tahoe. The cardiologist said there was minimal current risks and that I could put off the angiogram for as long as I needed but to stop all forms of exercise. I had the angiogram on Feb 20th. I was awake during the procedure and it soon became evident that they were not putting in stents. The cardiologist stopped the procedure and told me that the blockages were extensive and that he felt he should not place the stents until he consulted with the hospital's Cardiology Board and got their recommendations. He felt that bypass surgery would likely give a better long term prognosis because of my excellent physical condition, age, etc. The Cardiology Board recommended bypass surgery that was done on 2/8/16. The surgery was complicated due to a motorcycle accident in 2004 that resulted in a collapsed lung and all my right ribs being broken. When they cut trough my sternum my right lung was found to be firmly attached to the healed ribs and the right side of my heart had a lot of scar tissue. After 10 days in the hospital with a good team of doctors and a great hospital facility/system I finally am at home. Using a tread mill every day and every day is better than the day before. Moral of this story is that you must be your own advocate and keep asking questions until someone finds out what the problem is!

My cardiologist will re-evaluate me on 3/17/16 and if all is good I am still hoping to be with you all at START '16. If not, I am planning on being at the UnRally this year and hoping for a 2 week trip in the Alps in September.

Bob,

First of, I'm glad to hear things are on an upward swing. :thumbsup: You're right, we all need to be our own advocates throughout any healthcare process, as nobody else is there all the time or has as much at stake.

Hope the next visit goes well, and that you're able to START!

As Bob is well aware, this is not news to me, as we have communicated recently (in fact I told him via text message that I was wondering why he hadn't been in touch to talk about START, the UNRally and the Alps (we were planning on doing these things together).

Notwithstanding our having communicated, I'd certainly like to wish Bob all the best in his recovery in this Forum.

Get well soon Bob, but don't push it. :thumbsup:

And as my friend Rod said when I told him the news, if Bob can have blockages, then anybody can.

Bob,

Beth sends her love.

I'm saying this isn't an excuse to show up at START with a worn rear tire.

;)

Take care, certainly hope we see you sooner than later.

Good advice, BTDT.

Get well and ride...

:wave:

Sweet Sassy Malassie!

So glad you were persistent in running this down to ground. Great that all is well and that you're back home. Keep up the great work Bob, hope to see you soon!

Quite the tale Bob! Glad you were persistent in trying to find the answer. Medical health can be such a puzzle, many would have just given up and gotten a bad surprise later. Hope your recovery progresses well.

Randy

Thank you everyone for your kind remarks and support!

Hope to see you in Helen, if not, somewhere on the road soon.

Stay safe and work every day at being healthy - life is good!

Bob

I have just been informed by the Helendorf that 9 Standard rooms have been added to our Block, so get them while they last. :clap:

...Moral of this story is that you must be your own advocate and keep asking questions until someone finds out what the problem is!

That was a tough read. Approaching 70, I have my concerns, but so far so good, even though I always though you were in better shape than me. I hope you are able to make it to HeleN Back.

I endured a persistent hacking cough for nearly a decade before finally getting a referral to a pulmonologist, who finally diagnosed and resolved the problem (bronchiectasis). I felt like I was getting a second lease on life.

Well I not doing anything anyway, might as well go to Hellen & back :grin:

Hope to see you there Bob, that tale makes my growing pains seem very trivial

See ya all on Wednesday and be stickin around till Sunday

Well I not doing anything anyway, might as well go to Hellen & back :grin:

Hope to see you there Bob, that tale makes my growing pains seem very trivial

See ya all on Wednesday and be stickin around till Sunday

Excellent, Steve! You'll be on the next list update.

You gotta live in high country right? Come down out of the hills and join the rest of us, where its pouring down rain, instead. :/

Happy to see so many arriving Wed. That's a nice change over the past couple years. Also happy to see so many good folk from Texas coming ... and Whip, as well! ;):rofl:

i-mnswWkT-XL.png

Count one more late addition, an Arizonan ... riding with the good Texas crew ... and Whip :Cool:

Sweeet! I'll add you on the next update.

I'm in. 28 APR to 01 MAY. Look forward to meeting everyone there. I am also definitely interested in some non-single track GS riding if available.

I'm out. My boss informed me today that I am needed the entire week of 25-29 April. I'll try to make it another time.

I'm out. My boss informed me today that I am needed the entire week of 25-29 April. I'll try to make it another time.

Man, sorry to hear that, Mike. Hope you can FART in September.

Archived