IGNORED

The dreaded R1200RT Fuel Pump Leak Strikes Again

Joe_Rocket

If your fuel pump is leaking badly through cracks I would seriously bite the bullet and replace it. The failure of a patch job at speed could be a disaster. Not trying to lecture but just saying.

Well I just had my fuel strip replaced on my 05 R12RT with 32K miles on the clock.

I had them check very carefully to see if there was any evidence whatsoever of cracking around the raised fuel fitting and the inspection turned up nothing. Everything there looked fine.

Thanks to my extended warranty on the bike, the fuel strip only cost me my $50 deductible.

I hope you ride an 08' RT.:)

Gasoila sealer is good stuff. We use it at work to prevent oil from leaking out of our turbine pumps.

Can't hurt to use it in addition to the "fix".

Fuel leak 07 1200RT. This has been a great thread to follow.

Thanks to all who contribute.

My bike was sitting for a few months. It started right up and pumped gas all over driveway before I could get it in 1st gear.

Called Dealer they want $500 to fix. Said he would have to order it and never mentioned the "issue" regarding the cracking.

Mark M

My bike was sitting for a few months. It started right up and pumped gas all over driveway before I could get it in 1st gear.

Called Dealer they want $500 to fix. Said he would have to order it and never mentioned the "issue" regarding the cracking.

Mark M

They are a Dealer,,There goal is to make money,,No Dealer is going to bad mouth there product by tell you all the problems they have with there bikes,,,But now you are a member of BMWST and you can learn all the past,present and future problems ,Give ya some ammo when you go in,,Good well and all that, :thumbsup:
After seeing the post with BMW addressing the issue in the new models, well, they owe it to us to remedy this now.
They did remedy it,,,You just have to pay for the remedy :rofl: You well be waiting a long long time for BMW to replace all the pumps out there,,,,It's not gonna happen,,,,
After seeing the post with BMW addressing the issue in the new models, well, they owe it to us to remedy this now.
They did remedy it,,,You just have to pay for the remedy :rofl: You well be waiting a long long time for BMW to replace all the pumps out there,,,,It's not gonna happen,,,,

Hope is eternal, as is this thread!:)

Clamps are all gone,,It's gonna be a couple weeks before I have time to make more,,If you can wait,,Send me a PM and I well get one to ya as soon as I can,,Tim

Hi All,

I have a K1200r. I went out to the garage to warm it up and found myself standing in a pool of petrol. Took the tank out and found teh 'Dreaded Fuel Leak' as described here. BMW were no use so far. They recommended that I changed the pump. A new pump assemble here (Sydney, Australia) is $910 AUD ($930 USD) so it is worth trying to fix. The bike has only 10k kms on it. Not impressed with BMW.

Welcome to the board.

If yours is the "exact" same problem, then the fix will be the same.

Why not PM 10ovr and get him to send you a clamp?

I am sure you can pay him using direct banking transfer via the Internet.

I assume your bike is out of warranty?

Mark M

Mark,,PM sent Tim

Im getting PMs on how tight to tighten the clamps,,,I just tighten it till I can't move it with my thumb with a light push,,DON"T over tighten,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,IMG_0453.jpg

Fantastic thread, guys.

I checked my fuel pump (2005 RT w/ 22K) and it has the cracks but no leak. PM time!

For those with access to a mill:

A 15/16" shaft collar is a good place to start. McMaster Carr 6436K141 for $7.13 ea. But as mentioned, it is way too thick as delivered (1/2"). I milled the entire thing to the thickness of the bolt heads, and then relieved all but where the bolts are even more. It worked.

But it was a few minutes on a mill and still kinda bulky due to the much larger than necessary bolts. The two solutions being offered by M249Joe and 10ovr are much cleaner and a serious bargain!

First, I have to check to see if I have cracks.

Second, I have to determine, if I do, what corrective measures to take.

Third, I have to determine, if I don't have cracks, what preventive measures I should take.

How do I do that?

I have read all of this thread (Yes, I have nothing to do with my life, I am retired.)

Will the clamp alone prevent cracks from appearing, or exacerbating, if they have appeared?

Would it be better embedded in epoxy?

Would epoxy alone work just as good?

How is the metal ring attached on the new style pumps? Is it press fitted, or set into the plastic when wet?

Is there a way to fit a ring without the clamp with bolt opening?

dc

Based on my engineering experience:

1) Do so.

2) If severe cracks (to point of weeping), I believe the epoxy and fixed retainer ring (as pictured by M249Joe a few pages back)would be better as it will seal existing cracks. When using the fixed retainer ring, I would recommend removing the fitting and having the retainer be a slight interferance fit to ever so slightly compress the ring.

3) I believe a signifant factor is the constant radial pressure applied by the fitting in the boss. I believe mechanically constraining the boss should help prevent. Either method should do so.

Once constrained, the cracks should not appear or propogate.

Epoxy alone? It would not provide as much "banding" constraint. I like the idea of a metal band.

Based on appearances, I suspect the ring on the new style pump is installed after molding.

aggieengineer

Well, I decided to check mine, not really believing I would find a problem. Well, it's cracked in three places, but not leaking. I put an Oetiker clamp on it. Not the elegant solution offered by 10ovr, but it should prevent further cracking. I've got several clamps of this size if anyone in the DFW area needs a repair.

IMG_0776.jpg

A friend of mine suggested I check out this thread and I also checked my '07 RT (45K) and sure enough I have a 2 small cracks on opposite sides. No fuel leak but cracks are present.

I'm going to PM 10ovr and see about getting one of his clamps. I looked at some hose clamps I had but they won't fit.

I've been cruising this forum for many years and thank goodness for this thread. Took my 06 RT with multiple deep cracks into the dealer and they got it covered under my extended warranty -- 4 days before it expires. I'll be curious to see what the new fuel pump looks like. I might just buy one of the clamps to put on it just for insurance! Thanks to all here for the info and the solutions offered.

I've been cruising this forum for many years and thank goodness for this thread. Took my 06 RT with multiple deep cracks into the dealer and they got it covered under my extended warranty -- 4 days before it expires. I'll be curious to see what the new fuel pump looks like. I might just buy one of the clamps to put on it just for insurance! Thanks to all here for the info and the solutions offered.
If the new pump has the metal ring on it,I would not worry about it,,You are one of the lucky ones,,,I think I would call the dealer and make sure the one they are going to put in has it,,,

Got 10ovr's clamp. Very nicely made, fit perfect, and I am hoping it keeps my cracks from becoming leaks. Looks like it will work just as well as the new collar BMW is using now. BMW should offer a fix like this to all that have the old style...Nice to have alternatives!

Check in the mail, thanks.

Eric

Just a reminder, hope all of you have filed a report with NHTSA

as stated in pg#1 of this thread. Doesn't take much time I would think...

Strength in numbers goes the saying.

:wave:

MB>

Joe Frickin' Friday

MB>

Found this on MOA,,May be hope for the pump problem If people file a report ,, http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthread.php?t=58204

Already under discussion here.

I'm surprised to hear that there were only 145 complaints over the course of 10 years. I suspect there are a lot of people who didn't report their failure to the NHTSA.

If it takes ten years to get an investigation rolling, then I'm not holding out a lot of hope for rapid movement on the pump issue...

MB>

Found this on MOA,,May be hope for the pump problem If people file a report ,, http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthread.php?t=58204

Already under discussion http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=757431&Searchpage=4&Main=67971&Words=final+drive&Search=true#Post757431

I'm surprised to hear that there were only 145 complaints over the course of 10 years. I suspect there are a lot of people who didn't report their failure to the NHTSA.

If it takes ten years to get an investigation rolling, then I'm not holding out a lot of hope for rapid movement on the pump issue...

Fixed it for ya,,,

No, it doesn't surprise me at all.

How many thousands of bikes would have been sold in those 10 years?

And just 145 complaints to your watchdog?

So from the NHTA point of view, would you see this as a major systemic issue?...I wouldn't.

I would rather see this as 145 individual problems relating to the final drive, which might not all even be the same.

If the reporting is just as bad from the dealers back to BMW, then they would have to be assuming the same.

Dealers do not report defects to NHTSA or BMW. Warranty repairs are obviously reported and BMW should have a good idea of the number of problems based on the parts they sell.

Got the Gasoila and tried both on a pump that leaks badly ,,E Seal lasted 5 minuets and the other lasted about 1 minuet ,,so I use JB Weld on the treads of the new metal fitting ,Installed it and then installed the clamp,,Let it set for a day,,,Test rode about 150 miles today and no leaks,,Dry as a bone,,Once these pumps start leaking JB Weld is the only thing that I have found that well stop it,,,Now what am I going to do with two 1/4 pints of Gasoila :dopeslap:IMG_0468.jpg

...Now what am I going to do with two 1/4 pints of Gasoila :dopeslap:

Find some slum lord who needs it to make cheap repairs to his low rent properties.

...Now what am I going to do with two 1/4 pints of Gasoila :dopeslap:

Find some slum lord who needs it to make cheap repairs to his low rent property.

Hay,,I know just the guy :grin:

I use the blue stuff on gas piping, the other stuff may be good for steam pipes (Teflon). When you said you ordered Gasoila, I thought you ordered the red stuff, it sets up hard, almost like an epoxy. But I think you will be fine with JB weld.

I use the blue stuff on gas piping, the other stuff may be good for steam pipes (Teflon). When you said you ordered Gasoila, I thought you ordered the red stuff, it sets up hard, almost like an epoxy. But I think you will be fine with JB weld.
I was gonna order the red but it said varnish ,,I though it would be to thin to seal the treads ???? To late now :rofl: ,I used JB to repair a hole in a jeep gas tank and it lasted 10 years,,Jeep died before it did,,

Keep posting your complaints to NHTSA! Ducati is recalling 2011 and 2012 models for a possible fuel leak.

NHTSA complaint filed. I hope that BMW -- or Siemens -- is compelled to do the right thing.

Dave_zoom_zoom

Thank You for your ongoing reseach!

Dave

Got the Gasoila and tried both on a pump that leaks badly ,,E Seal lasted 5 minuets and the other lasted about 1 minuet ,,so I use JB Weld on the treads of the new metal fitting ,Installed it and then installed the clamp,,Let it set for a day,,,Test rode about 150 miles today and no leaks,,Dry as a bone,,Once these pumps start leaking JB Weld is the only thing that I have found that well stop it,,,Now what am I going to do with two 1/4 pints of Gasoila :dopeslap:IMG_0468.jpg

Got mine in today, Played hooky from work.:)

No glue just dry install. No cracks evident and I think this will prevent it.

Thanks!

Check is in the mail!

IMG023.jpg

I've got the begining of one crack on my K bike pump, not leak. Would you use JB with the collar, or dry?

Thanks, and thanks again for doing such an excellent job on this fix.

I've got the begining of one crack on my K bike pump, not leak. Would you use JB with the collar, or dry?

Thanks, and thanks again for doing such an excellent job on this fix.

I would just put the clamp on,,Should stop it from cracking any farther ,,Good to ride,,,,,,,

10ovr, I've got 2 clamps on order from you. One for a 2005 GS with 25K, no leaks, about 2 or 3 small cracks. Still has the original fuel lines/fittings. So in some way I guess I'm lucky that I didn't "disturb" the original fitting. That said, when installing the clamp, will I need to remove the line/fitting to mount he clamp over the collar? If so, how much do I re-tighten the fitting and do I put and thread sealer on it?

Thanks for all your research and work on this, I know I speak for many others in saying we owe you big time! :thumbsup:

Steve,,You should be seeing them soon,,I believe that the 05 GS has the same disconnects as the RT,,Just undo the fuel line at the quick connect and the clamp well fit right over the female quick connect screwed into the pump,No need to disturb it,,,, If Im wrong on the disconnects please someone chime in ,Tim

Steve,,You should be seeing them soon,,I believe that the 05 GS has the same disconnects as the RT,,Just undo the fuel line at the quick connect and the clamp well fit right over the female quick connect screwed into the pump,No need to disturb it,,,, If Im wrong on the disconnects please someone chime in ,Tim

You are correct. At least the disconnects on my '06 GS look just like the pics posted from everyones RT's

One data point against disturbing the fitting....

I had several cracks but no leaks. I reinforced with my modified shaft collar and then replaced the stock fitting with a brass one to address the embrittled plastic of the QR fittings. I figured 7 years of California gas in my 2005 is about the worst case scenario for the plastic fittings.

Now it weeps....

Then again, maybe it was on the ragged edge and would have started weeping (or spewing? on our next trip to the middle of Nevada so it's actually a good thing?

Regardless, JB Weld time.

I have used JB on weepy dirt bike petcocks in the past - even 2 strokes, and it never softened or failed.

Thanks for that info. That's a fear of mine, as I have a collar with the begining of a crack, and no leak. And have new disconnects on standby. I don't want to make it worse!

That's on my K1200.

Catch 22.

My 06 RT has no cracks and I replaced the disconnects over a year ago.

Archived