IGNORED

New BMW K1600GT and K160GTL Announcement

Limecreek

Beta tester #1!!! Congrats!!! :thumbsup:

You will be doing the rest of us (that are interested in the bikes) a favor!

Seriously, I do wish you the best of luck!

In response to:

Poster: CGameProgrammer

Subject: Re: New BMW K1600GT and K160GTL question

I plan to buy one of these as soon as possible, unless I dislike it after sitting on one for some reason, but I do expect problems initially. My money's on ECU issues such as stalling, irregular fueling, etc., because such problems are common with many manufacturers now, and this is a totally new engine. At least that wouldn't be as bad as faulty switches which instantly and permanently (until replaced) killed the K1300s.

I personally stay away from purchasing new vehicles in their first year on the market. Its not worth the hassle.

I can understand the hesitation to buy a first production year bike,

but in reality, if no one buys the first year product,

or if only a very small number of the new bikes are sold,

maybe there won't even be a second year.

Or is it possible that maybe the manufacture is aware of this hesitance,

and will perhaps only built the first production year model in limited numbers.

Or, if no one bought one the manufacturer would actually engineer and then test the bike adequately enough so that there aren't as many issues that take it off the road. None of us are looking for the perfect bike, but it sure would be nice to have one that spent more time on the road than in the shop. For example, my K1300GT is now sitting at 62 days in the shop for a clutch issue. No, that is not a typo, 62 days, and that is ONLY accounting for the clutch not the failed switch clusters, bad oil sender, brake recall, stalling recall, etc., etc.

And, if they can't provide this, then they shouldn't sell any and would go away, off in to the sunset of failed marques and they would have no one to blame but themselves.

Quality, a word that has somehow gone by the wayside.

Holy $hit!!!!!!! 62 days??????????????????????? Amazing.......Man i hope that I don't have that problem because I wouldn't tolerate it. I would have a fire sale!! :P

Or, if no one bought one the manufacturer would actually engineer and then test the bike adequately enough so that there aren't as many issues that take it off the road. None of us are looking for the perfect bike, but it sure would be nice to have one that spent more time on the road than in the shop.

That's exactly my thoughts. I spend most of my time riding in Canada and 6 weeks or so in Arizona. If my bike was down for 62+ days, it would be 1/3 or more of our riding season!!

Or, if no one bought one the manufacturer would actually engineer and then test the bike adequately enough so that there aren't as many issues that take it off the road. None of us are looking for the perfect bike, but it sure would be nice to have one that spent more time on the road than in the shop.

That's exactly my thoughts. I spend most of my time riding in Canada and 6 weeks or so in Arizona. If my bike was down for 62+ days, it would be 1/3 or more of our riding season!!

True story......I woke up this AM in a sweat. I had come to the conclusion that I needed a new bike and BMW wasn't on the list b/c of the issues...Like I got a recall on my 800 just....YESTERDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!! Think that prompted the nightmare????

My decision? A GW in bright yellow. Yep, that is down right scary. Not bashing GW's or riders but anyone who knows me knows i like technical riding with some speed behind me.

A GW would be trashed in no time....

Like I said before, I like BMW a lot. However I just see some crazy crap coming out of the motherland that my limited brain pan cannot process with any rationale.

Sure, I would buy a 16GT. But when? After 2 years? A pre-owned that someone like Phil has gone through the BS and pulled out all of their hair and no will take a HUGE loss just to get it out of the barn?

The K1600 bikes will be offically 2012 models.

No doubt, to bring them in alignment with the Mayan calendar.

:rofl:

As an alternative to a Beemer, I would definitely consider that new Honda VFR1200, and especially the rumored ST1200 that will be built on that same platform.

But still, that Honda would have a tough time competing with a R1200RT for my money.

n response to:

Poster: AZKomet

Subject: Re: New BMW K1600GT and K160GTL question

Originally Posted By: Lmar

Quote:

Quote:

True story......I woke up this AM in a sweat. I had come to the conclusion that I needed a new bike and BMW wasn't on the list b/c of the issues...Like I got a recall on my 800 just....YESTERDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!! Think that prompted the nightmare????

My decision? A GW in bright yellow. Yep, that is down right scary. Not bashing GW's or riders but anyone who knows me knows i like technical riding with some speed behind me.

A GW would be trashed in no time....

Like I said before, I like BMW a lot. However I just see some crazy crap coming out of the motherland that my limited brain pan cannot process with any rationale.

Sure, I would buy a 16GT. But when? After 2 years? A pre-owned that someone like Phil has gone through the BS and pulled out all of their hair and no will take a HUGE loss just to get it out of the barn?

I think the first year that the 16GT is on the market will tell the tale. I like the bike, at least from the pictures I have seen so far. Although I'm not sure about the 700+ lbs.

When my wife and I do finally retire we will spend at least 6 months in Arizona. At the present time, work is getting in the way of my riding. It seems like every time we have a nice day, I have to fricken work. I have to change that.

Whatever my next bike will be, I want one that is going to be comfortable, fun to ride and basically trouble free. So far my 09 Rt is doing exactly that.

The K1600 bikes will be offically 2012 models.

No doubt, to bring them in alignment with the Mayan calendar.

:rofl:

As an alternative to a Beemer, I would definitely consider that new Honda VFR1200, and especially the rumored ST1200 that will be built on that same platform.

But still, that Honda would have a tough time competing with a R1200RT for my money.

Though I like the Honda, it is not even in consideration. $5,000 MORE than the Kawasaki once outfitted the same, too short a range, too tight ergonomics, and too little capacity.

Kawasaki is the front runner to take over for my GT at this point. I can get one fully loaded for sticker of $15,200. Hmmm, I spend a couple hundred for an aftermarket cruise control and take the nearly $8,000 or so savings over the GT and buy a lot of tires and gas!

It's sad really. I still love the BMW. It's just not possible to love something that doesn't stay on the road. Let's hope they can sort this out as I admit a great lust for the new K16GT. It'll have to be beta tested and proved by others though. No chance of me doing it anymore.

Oh, and we can't forget that the Kawasaki has a 24,000 mile valve clearance check interval. 16,000 miles on the Honda. Yamaha is best at 26,000 miles.

I highly recommend the November 2010 issue of Rider magazine for their 4 bike shootout (Kawasaki, Triumph, Honda, Yamaha).

Phil, I assume you're talking about the Honda VFR with bags? I agree, I wouldn't want it, either, but if the persistent rumors roaring around the intergoogie have any basis in fact, a new ST1200 might, just might, be better than sliced bread. Wish they'd hurry up and announce it or announce it's a fiction.

I like the Kaw a lot, too, but haven't ridden one. RT is just now broken in.

Well, I'm very impressed with the new 16 and am looking forward to seeing both the GT and GTL in the upcoming motorcycle shows, that is, if BMW decides to make an appearance this year. I want to see the GTL with the highest seat option they have. And I love those ring headlights.

When I traded my 07 GT for my 09 RT, I told my dealer I wanted the GT engine with the RT ergonomics. He said a lot of people were telling him the same thing. Looks like B!W already had that in mind.

I probably won't be one of the first purchasers (a few other things have priority right now), but maybe in the spring of 2012 or 13.

I told my dealer I wanted the GT engine with the RT ergonomics. He said a lot of people were telling him the same thing. Looks like B!W already had that in mind.

funny, I told my dealer the very same thing back in 99. Well, I said I wanted the four cylinder motor in the RT. IMO, I am suprised it took BMW as long as they did to even come out with the more upright GT as they did. The FJR and St1300 were out well before the more upright GT came to market. Not quite what I would expect from a company that is looked at as the leader in sport touring. I think BMW was wrong by not releasing a bike like the GT sooner. It made the leader having to play catch up. With the new connie in the market and talks of a new FJR, its obvious the japs intend to put continued pressure on BMW. I am still not certian a 1600GT is really the proper answer to the competition. I think finely honing the 1300GT and making it bulletproof, working on their mechanical issues would have been a better path.

I still don't get this.

The 2nd/3rd generation GT's are much more upright than the original RS/GT.

The minor ergo diffs between the 1200 RT and 12/13 GT struck me as the GT in reality being a KRT.

The diffs are minor, the overlays we've posted here show that as slight diff between handlebar/seat footpegs, all of which can be adjusted or changed w/very minor aftermarket parts.

The original GT and 1100/1150 RT could never be made so ergonomically similar.

I think the engineers at BMW saw it that way too.

BTW, I see your "new" to you VStrom is for sale.

Is that 3 bikes this year?

BTW, I see your "new" to you VStrom is for sale.

Is that 3 bikes this year?

Nope, just 2, the RS and the strom. I dont think its right to hijack a thread with petty discussion. If you feel you need more infomation about my bikes, please PM me.

Petty?

Hardly.

Just a throw in after an on topic reply I made.

No reason for you to think that about an inocuous question.

So yeah, if I ever want to know anything that has some hidden meaning, I'll PM you.

Otherwise lighten up.

I still don't get this.

The 2nd/3rd generation GT's are much more upright than the original RS/GT.

The minor ergo diffs between the 1200 RT and 12/13 GT struck me as the GT in reality being a KRT.

Ergs/uprightness as far as footpeg/bars may seem similar, or can be made similar, but the RT and 12/13 GT ride and handle so differently that those erg similarities are moot, IMO.

I agree.

But, was posited above was the desire to have the K mill in an RT type package.

IMO, that is what they did.

With 35+years of Boxers, I love them.

Great motor, I was quicker riding one in the twisties (weight/wheelbase/engine braking etc.).

But, I love my GT for all the things I ask of it and it does well.

Now if someone wants the ahndling of a lightweight boxer with the poser of the k, there is only one choice...

• 4 months later...

Archived