IGNORED

New BMW K1600GT and K160GTL Announcement

Limecreek

Clicky

From BMW Motorrad International

An overview of highlights of the BMW K 1600 GT and K 1600 GTL

Supreme in-line 6-cylinder engine with a high level of pulling power, especially in the lower and medium engine speed range.

The lightest and most compact 6-cylinder in-line engine in serial motorcycle production weighing just 102.6 kg and measuring 560 mm in width.

Engine output 118 kW (160 bhp) at approx. 7500 rpm and a maximum torque of approx 175 Nm at approx. 5000 rpm.

Over 70% of maximum torque available from 1500 rpm.

Consistent lightweight construction throughout the entire vehicle (magnesium front panel carrier, aluminium rear frame, crankshaft etc.).

E-Throttle: fully electronic relay between accelerator grip and throttle valve.

Three drive modes to choose from ("Rain", "Road", "Dynamic")

High active safety due to standard BMW Motorrad Integral ABS (part integral).

Traction control DTC (Dynamic Traction Control) for maximum safety when accelerating (optional extra).

Chassis with Duolever and Paralever and ideal mass concentration for dynamic riding properties combined with optimum comfort.

Electronic Suspension Adjustment ESA II for optimum adaptation to all uses and load states (optional extra).

World premiere for a motorcycle: Adaptive Headlight (optional extra) in conjunction with standard xenon headlamp and lighting rings for increased safety at night.

Integrated operating concept for the first time with Multi-Controller, TFT colour screen and menu guidance.

Audio system with preparation for navigation device and controllable interface for iPod, MP3, USB, Bluetooth and satellite radio (only USA and Canada) (standard in the K 1600 GTL).

Innovative design with outstanding wind and weather protection.

K 1600 GTL with very comfortable, relaxed ergonomics set-up for long trips with pillion passenger as well as luxury touring features.

Extensive optional equipment and individually tailored accessories at the familiar high level of BMW Motorrad.

Scroll upScroll down Two machines. A single source.Take a look into the future of touring. Experience the BMW K 1600 GT

and the K 1600 GTL.

Supremacy and dynamic performance in their purest form. This is the new K 1600 GT.

See it now When luxury is freed of ballast, a new dimension is created:

the K 1600 GTL.

Paul Mihalka

Wow! makes a lot of business sense to combine the GT and the LT from one basic design. More sense than combining the GT with the S and have a stand-alone LT.

Sad that working at a BMW dealer I have to find these things on the Internet (thanks!) and not directly from BMW.

Very interesting. Can't wait for detailed pictures and specs. Wonder what it weighs?

The magnesium main and aluminium subframe should help in the weight department.

How many sacks of money will it take?

I hope they have a good exhaust available, there is something special about the sound of a good I6.

Rod

markgoodrich

Hey, Greg, you remember you asked me a few weeks ago what my next bike is going to be? This is probably your answer. Still gotta wear the RT out, though. Thanks for finding this, am happy to see they'll have a touring version, can't wait to see it in person, find out what it weighs.

I predict a price north of $25k for the (this sounds incredible to a lot of us, but a whole lot of those Harleys we see end up considerably north of $30k). I also predict a new Goldwing, if not this year, next.

I also predict a new Goldwing, if not this year, next.

I wonder if they will put a V8 in it so that it will finally pull the gas mileage down into the teens :rofl:

sounds promising. we can only hope that this time BMW will try and work out the major bugs BEFORE they bring it to the market.

markgoodrich
I also predict a new Goldwing, if not this year, next.

I wonder if they will put a V8 in it so that it will finally pull the gas mileage down into the teens :rofl:

Actually, I think Honda had a V8 concept out on the circuit a couple, three years ago. I wouldn't be a bit surprised.

Firefight911

This site will be a great resource for all things K16GT/K16GTL.

LINKY

The site owner works intimately with BMW corporate.

Phil,

FYI - A few of the BMW owners on this board, especially the FD problem folks, have VERY intimate relations with BMW Corporate :rofl:

Firefight911
Phil,

FYI - A few of the BMW owners on this board, especially the FD problem folks, have VERY intimate relations with BMW Corporate :rofl:

You do realize you're preaching to the choir......right?

Hello, BMW bought me a brand new Trailguard for thanking me for my "intimacy" with the issues with my K13GT, F8GS, and F650GS (twin). I mean, really, when I call BMW anymore, it's a direct line to New Jersey and when the other end picks up it's a live person at corporate! No voice mail, no gate keeper. Trust me, I get it!!!!! :dopeslap::dopeslap::dopeslap:

I like the TFT display. If I recall correctly, that's the same type of display on my Garmin 276C, which works very well in sunlight. In fact, the best screen display occurs when it has direct sun bearing down on it. This should be a big improvement over the current displays.

cali_beemer

Its just starting to look like more crap to go wrong. Doesnt BMW have enough on their plate that they still need to get to work right before unveiling, "new technology". Lets work on making the old technology work first......

beemerman2k

It's a sweet sight to behold, and I'll certainly admire them on the road, but not at all my type of motorcycling. Why use 6 cylinders when 2, or even 4, do the job just fine? Any of you 4 cylinder K bike owners feel like your engine is dogging it with 2 up and luggage? No? Didn't think so. All that weight and complexity and cost! I wanna see the bill when the dealer does the 6K service :eek:

May as well just buy an M3 convertible and be done with it (not a bad idea, actually) :thumbsup:

I always felt that the RT was as big (in terms of weight and complexity) a bike I'd ever want to own. I still feel that way. I could see myself on a K1300S :grin:, but that's about as big as I'd want to go.

Looks like honda had it right all these years with the wing. and it's a boxer.

It really does look like BMW's playing catch-up.

BMW has committed to being the best in class for each bike they sell. A lofty goal. They even changed the switch gear so the MC press would stop bitching about the strange turn signal switches.

I wouldn't say catch up, I would say they will lead.

They aren't looking to sell this bike to RT owners, they want to expand the market by "conquest" sales and the new 1600 is a great way to do it.

It's not 1930 anymore. There will always be "heritage" riders who love airheads etc, but the technology and marketplace has moved on.

Bitch, Moan and Whine about how the good old bikes are all you ever need because BMW isn't going to survive by continuing to build R 1100 RT's in today's market

Wish them be best and I hope they sell a ton of them so there will be a used one for me.

cali_beemer
BMW has committed to being the best in class for each bike they sell. A lofty goal. They even changed the switch gear so the MC press would stop bitching about the strange turn signal switches.

The turn signal switch from the three buttons to the japanese style pissed me off. I liked the previous design, the sellout to magazines just made me unimpressed. If they are going to start making there bikes like the japanese then you might as well just go and buy the japanese version. They are aot more reliable and cheaper to buy as well.

As for the catch up or leading thing.....well, I think they are a leader when it comes to features and design; however I think they have a long long way to go in order to catch up in the quality department. I would love to go back to a BMW someday but their quality is going to have to make huge improvements before that will happen, and their lack of a true fix for the final drives indicated BMW doesnt give a crap. After owning many BMW's, my little Vstrom is making me a advocate of chain drive.

Paul In Australia

The turn signal switch from the three buttons to the japanese style pissed me off. I liked the previous design, the sellout to magazines just made me unimpressed. If they are going to start making there bikes like the japanese then you might as well just go and buy the japanese version. They are aot more reliable and cheaper to buy as well.

As for the catch up or leading thing.....well, I think they are a leader when it comes to features and design; however I think they have a long long way to go in order to catch up in the quality department. I would love to go back to a BMW someday but their quality is going to have to make huge improvements before that will happen, and their lack of a true fix for the final drives indicated BMW doesnt give a crap. After owning many BMW's, my little Vstrom is making me a advocate of chain drive.

Of course everyone is entitled to their opinion but to say they "don't give a crap" is just plain silly.

IMO BMW is no less reliable than any other marque. I for example have had 2 RT's that are basically faultless. I know a lot of people with RT's and none of them have had a final drive issue. I think you will find that is a majority position.

Each to their own. Just enjoy riding whatever you have got.

regards

Paul

cali_beemer

Of course everyone is entitled to their opinion but to say they "don't give a crap" is just plain silly.

IMO BMW is no less reliable than any other marque. I for example have had 2 RT's that are basically faultless. I know a lot of people with RT's and none of them have had a final drive issue. I think you will find that is a majority position.

Each to their own. Just enjoy riding whatever you have got.

regards

Paul

Well, I have had some less than stellar BMW isues and I have also had a final drive puke. The BMW kool aid is great until you on the receiving end of the reapir bills. I once was a BMW faithfull. And you are right, we are all entitled to our opinion. However I do dispute the, "dont give a crap" comment. The issues surrounding the final drives for how long now? and yet we have not seen any resolution. Instead we get more useless features that none the less cause more problems like the antenna ring. The traditional key ignition was wrong how? It seems BMW is only concerned about sales numbers and not handling the issues surrounding their current bikes. The BMW final drive issue has turned into the laughing stock of the motorcycle community, one might think it would be an issue for BMW but yet there is no resolutuon and people are still watching them drop like flies. Personally I thought that the extreme high number of BMW's that didnt make it through the Iron Butt a few years ago becasue of final drives might have been a wake up call for BMW. Maybe you can contact the people that didnt make it and tell them that BMW doesnt have a final drive issue.

cover.jpg

Give it a rest will you?

People may have read that post of yours , again, and again, in almost every thread you reply to.

You have an opinion, you’ve vented it numerous times, frequently finding a way to insert it no matter what the OP was.

Iron Butt?

How about 2009?

BMW finshed as the winner, on an R 1200 RT, with 4 other beemers in the top 9.

Alomst evry year, even the one year where there were mechancial issues, many beemers finished, and I think there have been more winners on BMW’s than any other marque.

Now, given that BMW sales are/were a minuscule fraction of the great UJM marques you continually reference, it would seem logical that those marques would win the overwhelming majority of the time.

They don’t.

Now, that is a fact, not opinion.

My opinion is that is a reflection of the rider involved.

Regardless, BMW's have dominated the Iron Butt since the beginning, that too is a fact.

So, unless the topic is FD failure ( an undocumented except for internet poll posting) which is by all reasonable evidence a small percentage, could you please refrain from this rhetoric, or find somewhere that is more receptive.

The first 10, 20, times you were making a point, giving opinions, responding and then it seems to have devolved into sour grapes.

Glad you love the weestrom.

Hope it never gives you any problems.

Most folks really love them and you seem to be having a great time.

You have bought, I believe, only used BMW’s.

Therefore you didn’t break them in, nor maintain them from new.

It is possible the PO’s did or didn’t do something to contribute to your particular bike of the time having a problem, isn’t it?

Just posting a possible scenario to your BMW doesn’t give a crap routine.

BMW is hard to deal with at times.

But I have personally seen them step up on numerous occasions, after warranty expiration, and fix a problem.

It seems that some machines still have ongoing issues, such as fuel strips.

Not good.

Those will hopefully be resolved to everyone’s satisfaction.

I’m looking forward to meeting you down the road, but please give it a rest.

Any validity you have can be eroded by the approach you are taking , IMO.

Best wishes.

fourteenfour

Regardless of representation in Iron Butt by brand I think the rider makes more difference than the bikes themselves. Perhaps the type of rider would be successful regardless of the bike? What percentage of bikes in Iron Butt fail by brand?

As for this new 1600, I dread the price. While I enjoy BMW motorcycles my loyalty is more driven by the offering of ABS. As more brands offer ABS my favor will drift. I have gone through quite a few number of BMW motorcycles in my short riding experience and the trend I do not like is the ever increasing complexity of the bikes to the point where working on them myself has surpassed my available time.

Still I can't wait to see one of these new 1600s in person. I just don't see the need for such a large engine. It seems odd that while cars move to smaller engines bikes go the opposite way. My car (a TDI) already gets near the mileage my RT does around town and beats it on the highway. I would much prefer a bike that gets over 60 miles per gallon than one that does 60 in three to four seconds.

Agree on the mpg.

My GT works hard to get 40 and that isn't the norm.

55+ would be great.

:lurk:

markgoodrich
cover.jpg

Give it a rest will you?

People may have read that post of yours , again, and again, in almost every thread you reply to.

You have an opinion, you’ve vented it numerous times, frequently finding a way to insert it no matter what the OP was.

Iron Butt?

How about 2009?

BMW finshed as the winner, on an R 1200 RT, with 4 other beemers in the top 9.

Alomst evry year, even the one year where there were mechancial issues, many beemers finished, and I think there have been more winners on BMW’s than any other marque.

Now, given that BMW sales are/were a minuscule fraction of the great UJM marques you continually reference, it would seem logical that those marques would win the overwhelming majority of the time.

They don’t.

Now, that is a fact, not opinion.

My opinion is that is a reflection of the rider involved.

Regardless, BMW's have dominated the Iron Butt since the beginning, that too is a fact.

So, unless the topic is FD failure ( an undocumented except for internet poll posting) which is by all reasonable evidence a small percentage, could you please refrain from this rhetoric, or find somewhere that is more receptive.

The first 10, 20, times you were making a point, giving opinions, responding and then it seems to have devolved into sour grapes.

Glad you love the weestrom.

Hope it never gives you any problems.

Most folks really love them and you seem to be having a great time.

Therefore you didn’t break them in, nor maintain them from new.

It is possible the PO’s did or didn’t do something to contribute to your particular bike of the time having a problem, isn’t it?

Just posting a possible scenario to your BMW doesn’t give a crap routine.

BMW is hard to deal with at times.

But I have personally seen them step up on numerous occasions, after warranty expiration, and fix a problem.

It seems that some machines still have ongoing issues, such as fuel strips.

Not good.

Those will hopefully be resolved to everyone’s satisfaction.

I’m looking forward to meeting you down the road, but please give it a rest.

Any validity you have can be eroded by the approach you are taking , IMO.

Best wishes.

Well said, Tim; +1

cali_beemer

For a guy that seems to follow my postings so closely, you sure dont seem to pay much attention. I have bought several new BMW's and in total I have owned over 10 BMW's. You can put that down in your notes to refer to for any future postings. :grin:

However since you seem to feel that I am the only one with this feeling about BMW not stepping up to resolve their long lasting issues, here is a quote from the iron butt associations site. I believe they use the terms disproportionate and specify the final drive as the casue for their DNF. I understand things mechanical break, anything mechanical can and will break. But the whole point in having a quality department is to manage and keep statistics on this crap. I dont know what BMW is doing with this statistical information because its not being used to improve the quality of their product. I love BMW motorycles more than most people and probably alot more than the majority of people on this site. My frustraion and comments are form my love for these machines with the mother company not seeming to share the same level of care becasue if they did then they would have adressed there issues in depth instead of leaving there customers with no long term solutuions or flipping the bill for repairs. Here is the comment from the Iron Butt:

'The Tarnished Blue and White Roundel

A disproportionate number of the DNFs fall on the shoulders of BMW. BMW failed several riders, demonstrating that they are no longer capable of building motorcycles that can run 11,000 miles in 11 days without a significant fraction experiencing a catastrophic drivetrain failure of some sort. BMW of North America has requested contact information for the riders who experienced failures. The riders BMW should be more concerned about are the thousands of unsuspecting souls who will breakdown in the future because the company has lost its previous ability to either design durable drivetrain components or (more likely) adequately monitor production and assembly quality. It's way, way past time for BMW to fix its drivetrain reliability problems. A good start might be to acknowledge that there is a problem. "

As for the comment about leaving my comments for final drive only posts, I believe that my referece was directed to the original post on the K1600GT as it shows nothign to adress the long terms issues heavily noted even on this very site. Instead I appreciate you commenting on my postings being off topic while you have in turn hijacked this thread for a public chastizing.

mods, shut this down, this is stupid and non-relevant to the OP. It started out very interesting and turned into a food-fight.

beemerman2k

I don't feel I have read enough posts by cali_beemer to say whether I think he has an ax to grind against BMW or not, but I happen to side with him with respect to BMW's miserable drive train record. We have had countless threads on the issue on this very forum; surveys, mounting frustration, letters to BMWNA -- all manner of angles on this thing. Even my own transmission's input shaft died on my while I was rolling at 70 mph down an LA freeway on Tuesday night in June 2005. A riding buddy of mine bought a K1200R and he's had repeated issues with his transmission with his bike in and out of the shop numerous times.

Conversely, I can count on one hand the number of engine failures I have even heard rumored about concerning BMW motorcycles (surging doesn't count as an engine failure :smirk:)

If BMW motorcycles have a weak spot, it's definitely the drive train. From both personal experience and anecdotal evidence (what I read and hear from other owners), this is definitely the area that I would like to see BMW focus on. To their credit, they have solved the surging issue, the PTTR issue, the ABS issue that an ex member used to constantly harp on (Oprah Hazard for those with good memories), the stock seat issue (I think), so that now leaves the drive train issues.

Having said that, I have been so happy with my R1100RT, that even if I have to do a transmission overhaul every 70K miles, that's fine with me. I'm keeping the bike and I ain't trading it for nuthin' out there :thumbsup: Input shaft aside, the bike has been friggen bulletproof in every other aspect you care to measure it by.

beemerman2k
mods, shut this down, this is stupid and non-relevant to the OP. It started out very interesting and turned into a food-fight.

Strong differences of opinion do not a food fight make. The controversy is being played out in a rather gentlemanly way in my opinion.

Having said THAT, it wouldn't hurt us to get back on the topic at hand :Cool:

James,

I'll try to keep on topic.

But, again our friend has selectively chosen a quote from one previous Iron Butt Rally.

The subsequent rally did not show those same failures, nor did the previous ones.

To paint the IBA with that broad brush isn't fair, again, IMO.I stand by the published results of the numerous finishers on a marques tha has a less than 2% market share and more winners than any other marque, I believe.

The 1600 may set the bar higher in many ways.

We'll see.

beemerman2k

Well, even my bike would have finished 6 Iron Butt competitions with change left over before any mechanical issues surfaced -- and likely even more. If you consider that the 70K miles were a lot of city riding, varying loads (2 up, 1 up, luggage, no luggage), all these factors combined to eat up my input shaft at 70K miles. So with a steady load and under more consistent conditions (flying around the country non-stop!), my bike probably could have logged maybe 10 Iron Butt races before any issues surfaced.

Now, should the input shaft have lasted a lot longer than that? I think so. Does that mean the bike is uniquely flawed? All motorcycles are uniquely flawed. And the ones that aren't, I probably wouldn't like them enough to log 100K miles in 6 years time on them anyhow. So I'll take my BMW, flaws and all.

I do agree with the sentiment that BMW is targeting an expanded audience with this new K1600 series bike. They are expanding their appeal to more and more riders. When I bought my RT, BMW offered only 3 engine configurations: 1) Oilhead, 2) Brick on the K bikes, 3) Thumper on the F series. I used to call BMW the "Volvo" of motorcycles back in those days -- steady, safe, and relatively slow! No more. They are looking more and more like the "BMW" of motorcycles now. And this new 1600cc 6 is kinda like the 7 Series of the lineup :smile:

beemerman2k

One more thing, when that eventual rider finishes the Iron Butt race on the new K1600, I hope rewards and prizes aren't to be expected. C'mon, talk about the lap of luxury! The greatest hardship might just come in the form of "gee, nuthin' good to listen to on the XM Radio today" :grin:

I hate to admit it but the first thing I thought when I read this thread was if/how they redesigned the final drive to handle the added HP/torque they seem to so proud of. Seems like a lot of people get angry anytime someone brings up the subject and apparently have had 100% good experiences (I have in fact been very satisfied) but when I see a friend with the same model and year as mine with less miles suffer an input shaft failure and the resulting disassembly and transmission rebuild I wonder how long mine is for this earth, and why?!

The new 1600 looks interesting but it seems like a big leap of faith to me to plop down the 20K plus it will most likely demand.....lets not forget the "zero maintenance" fiasco of the 1200. Nearly every rider on this board knew that would never work they first time they saw it advertised.....and yet it was in fact sold as nothing less than that for the first model year or two before it was revised (i.e. a drain plug was added).

Love it or bash it, the fact remains the failure rate is a significant concern and the resulting expenses are no laughing matter....I wish them well but will not be the first in line either.

One more thing, when that eventual rider finishes the Iron Butt race on the new K1600, I hope rewards and prizes aren't to be expected. C'mon, talk about the lap of luxury! The greatest hardship might just come in the form of "gee, nuthin' good to listen to on the XM Radio today" :grin:

:lurk:

I guess I'm just getting old. The pics in those links brings the term 'ugly motorcycle' to a whole new level. BMW is trying to keep up with the Japanese, who are catering to the attention deficit disorderd mass of kids out there who have grown up watching too many Transformer movies. If I ever get another bike someday, it will be a Triumph. At least they still know how to make a bike that looks like a motorcycle should......

Look good.

:thumbsup:

Seem to run very well.

:thumbsup:

My preferences are similar to another thread going on right now.

ABS, significant anti-dive technology, enough power to take care of 2 up riders in the winter with 2 heated jackets, 2 heated gloves, a heated seat, and the aux GPS/XM, with adiitional driving/conspicuity lights.

There aren't many out there.

The turn signal switch from the three buttons to the japanese style pissed me off. I liked the previous design, . . .

My Grandfather was born in 1899 and when he died at 92 I considered all the changes he witnessed in his life. And how willing he was to try new things - more so then me. I am trying to take a page from his book and become more open to new things and changes; as a well known GS rider once penned "no changes are permanent, but change is".

I do have a hard time seeing the need for the 6 with the existing line-up. The four is a very potent engine. I guess in the quest for new customers, BMW views the 6 as necessary. I'm not presently in that market, so what do I know? For me, the K12GT or K13GT is a machine I aspire to, the increased power being something I'm intimidated by at this point, while the 'dark side' of me wants the power. Now this? :dopeslap:

At any rate, the three button turn signals make so much sense and are so intuitive - that I could hardly believe my eyes when I read they did away with them. This was an area where I felt they had done their homework and came up with a better mousetrap. I'd guess they were removed for production reasons.

Either way, the K Six is coming and we better get used to the idea.

sardineone

An interesting thread for me! Personally, I like the choice of another inline 6 on the market. Depending on the performance, weight and handling, who knows if it could end up in my garage eventually. I'm looking at this new bike as an announcement of a new improved power train. :grin: Must be true if the current ones are barely holding together! This new bike has way too much power! :lurk:

thanks for the links, i want to see the bike. Plus, my 2 cylinder bike has plenty of power, do I need 6?

Well, I don't see the need for the 6. Where does it end? I mean, the 1300 is out for 2 years and then gone with a new design? I can see the GT being more comfy for the long haul by upgrades to seating etc. However, to make it a 6 is beyond me.

I don't like buying a 1300 having it for a month and then a new machine is out? Where does it stop?????? Technology is expensive, BMW will make the price commensurate with design. I don't have any beef with new technology/design, but let's face it, BMW has not a good track record for the 13GT and the 800 GS's. Even my RT when belly up at 36K which what lead me to the GSA. I now have the 13GT and should have bought the connie as it will be around a long,long time with little change to a probably already perfected machine.

John Bentall

I now have the 13GT and should have bought the connie as it will be around a long,long time with little change to a probably already perfected machine.

Perfect For your requirements! Not for me.

So, what color is the GT you have for sale?

:wave:

Just kidding.

You got a good one and will be happy for years.

My original GT still runs plenty gooda for me.

72k service and I replaced all the fluids/plugs/filters and it rides like a new bike.

New tires too.

Are there faster bikes?

Yes.

But who cares.

Enjoy what you got.

I was shifting at 5k and extralegal with 3 gears to go.

:/

The 1600 will be expensive.

It will have new stuff.

So?

If you want one, get it and enjoy it.

If not, ride and make smiles.

Best wishes.

Archived