IGNORED

New BMW K1600GT and K160GTL Announcement

Limecreek

I will certainly look at it.....It is hard to say what the final look and price will be once out. I love m/c's period. Is there a bad one though?

I mean technology is a good thing and all of the major brands seem to be road worthy mile after mile.

On my way back from Redmond I stopped at a hotel and ran into a new connie. The bike smoked the GT.....does it matter? Not anymore.....when I was younger maybe so. Now? Naaaaah...

The connie owner said (when the bikes were side by side): "Wow, look at the fit and finish on the GT." "Much nicer than mine." I had to agree.......

The ABS and cruise was one of the reasons I went for the GT. After looking at the connie side by side with the GT it is clear that craftsmanship is superior on the beemer. Will they both run mile after mile? Sure....Just depends on what you want.

I for sure won't buy the 1600 first year. I will look and keep stats on sales and repairs etc. then decide if it suits me . Right now I am searching for a new car for the Mrs. And it will be german.....which brand I cannot say at the moment cuz I am still doing my homework.

I didn't see any info about the doors that will come with it? 2 or 4 door?? :grin:

Far as I'm concerned it is a car in the making.

• 3 weeks later...
I guess I'm just getting old. The pics in those links brings the term 'ugly motorcycle' to a whole new level. BMW is trying to keep up with the Japanese, who are catering to the attention deficit disorderd mass of kids out there who have grown up watching too many Transformer movies. If I ever get another bike someday, it will be a Triumph. At least they still know how to make a bike that looks like a motorcycle should......

I would say, "Yes," to that statement. You're getting old because the BMW clientele is getting older and not younger. To bring in the next generation of buyers, they have to change their design to draw them in otherwise they face the same challenges as HD. Older demographic of their buyers, literally dying away.

So I say, "YES!" to the redesign and getting into the modern design.

CruisinCruzan

If the topcase is like the one on the RT maybe I can get a pair of the optional armrests to work on my RT and give my wife the one thing she wanted that I haven't been able to find or make for our RT.

• 4 weeks later...

If that's the LT replacement, I'm done. Wonder what Honda has in mind for the GW? Guess I need to start collecting LT's now.... :thumbsup: Maybe I'm just getting old, but I don't like this change one bit. :P

Maybe I'm just getting old, but I don't like this change one bit. :P

I was never a big fan of the old LT. I do like what I see so far with this new model. Make mine dark maroon with black wheels and a super extended warranty. ;)

Pat

I do like what I see so far with this new model. Make mine dark maroon with black wheels and a super extended warranty. ;)

Pat

If this is a representative photo, it appears you can get any color you want, as long as it is the gray/black that BMW seems to be fixated on just now.

I love new bikes but this is going to have to be special to make me want to get rid of my RT.

Ken

Twice the price, half the gas mileage, super complex, and goes like a bat out of hell. Hows that for special :S

:lurk:

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGGLYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY :eek:

I hope everyone realizes they're just using some plastic to hide the actual bike like they do on cars. They've slapped on some fake parts to hide the look but are out testing the engine, transmission, etc and how all the electronics play together.

What you're seeing is a bike in disguise.

I hope everyone realizes they're just using some plastic to hide the actual bike like they do on cars. They've slapped on some fake parts to hide the look but are out testing the engine, transmission, etc and how all the electronics play together.

Thats what I keep thinking about the 1200RT but I cant find a picture with the fugly parts taken off......

Mini highjack: I like the R1200GS, it is not pretty but it looks right for what it is supposed to do.

For me a beautiful bike is this:

Matchless_G80.jpg

1950 Matchless G80. I had one.

Or this:

Moto-Guzzi_V7-Sport.jpg

1972 Moto Guzzi V7 Sport. I wanted one.

If the topcase is like the one on the RT maybe I can get a pair of the optional armrests to work on my RT and give my wife the one thing she wanted that I haven't been able to find or make for our RT.

My wife just got a big laugh out of this. She says it is a "female thing" and wants armrests too ! :thumbsup:

Thats what I keep thinking about the 1200RT but I cant find a picture with the fugly parts taken off......

Actually either some good Jack Daniels or some kind of single malt scotch will solve this issue easily. You will not see any fugly at all. CAVEAT: Be sure you are looking at bikes when you do this...

It is interesting that BMW is bringing an inline six out on a new bike. They obviously have had this bike in the works for years. I would assume targeting the Goldwing with the boxer six. Honda who shows a 2010 Goldwing on their sight isn't producing any new Goldwings because of a backlog of new 2009 and 2010 bikes. They will not produce a 2011 and nobody knows what is happening with the 2012 bike. This I have got thru the reliable internet forums! lol! The timing could be good with a new Goldwing at least a year off. Then again there must be a reason the Goldwings aren't flying off dealers floors. Then again Harley doesn't seem to have a hard time selling new Ultra's.

:D Don't agree, but that was funny!

It is interesting that BMW is bringing an inline six out on a new bike. They obviously have had this bike in the works for years. I would assume targeting the Goldwing with the boxer six. Honda who shows a 2010 Goldwing on their sight isn't producing any new Goldwings because of a backlog of new 2009 and 2010 bikes. They will not produce a 2011 and nobody knows what is happening with the 2012 bike. This I have got thru the reliable internet forums! lol! The timing could be good with a new Goldwing at least a year off. Then again there must be a reason the Goldwings aren't flying off dealers floors. Then again Harley doesn't seem to have a hard time selling new Ultra's.

Not quite. The Wings are selling fine. They have closed down all US production and are moving it to Japan. They "stocked" up so they have some inventory as they move tooling, etc. There will be a '12 though what will change is as yet unknown. Time will tell.

I like the look. I love the technology. Not gonna touch it for at least a full year j til it's goes through it's testing. I resigned my beta tester position. Anyone else wanna do it?

I don't buy that pic. The pic is backwards and the guy in the background appears 4 times.

Only another week or two for Intermot and the real deal.

I think the other montage of photos is more likely it. If you go to the web site that had them originally (?) the photos were not named. If you searched the site for them, they would not come up at all. Was thinking maybe a well placed leak to keep interest up?? Who knows.

If they are the real deal, I like the looks, I think, but not as a replacement for my LT. Seems that since it is not a full LT, it may help with resale value of the LT's. Not that I want to sell mine. Me and the MRS love it.

hmmmmmmmmm.....Why would someone be so silly to manipulate a pic like that?

The same one who engineered the current ones....and then decided to stop making them after two whole years.

On second thought, I'm sure this is direct from the mothership's engineering department! More quality engineering in action. :rofl:

Yep......I am all for progress in technology. However, it seems that there are some ridiculous ventures with BMW. Not sure where the logo is headed but I got to wonder.

My thought is that if an item is not broke don't fix it! Ooops...we are talking BMW here. Don't refine a product, just go make another and see if that works.

I love the 13GT motor It has a lot of pizzazz and don't see the need for a 6. Look at the LT. 12000 CC and I rode the crap out of that thing.....I always joked about "burning a valve" in the thing but that never happened in my 60K of treating it like a sport bike.

I have been followed by R1's in the twisties and they could not believe the LT's nimbleness in the curves and the speed I put it through......

So with 160 ponies in the 1300 I don't see the need for the 6. The 1300 would do more than enough for the average rider. Look at the C14 with a 1400/4. Smoooooooooth as all get out. Power that will take your breath away all in a 4 banger that will do anything you need.

And heat? I get lots of that off my 800GS. The C14 is cool compared to the 800 GS engine. I know some people that try to fashion heat shields on the 800 to make it more tolerable in the AZ heat... People just like to make an excuse why this bike is better than this one.......

Discontinuing a model in 2 years seems non typical for BMW. Whether being cars or bikes, they have in the past kept models in production for some time.

I wonder what is going on? Has there been some changes in the CEo department?

Discontinuing a model in 2 years seems non typical for BMW.

The G650 XC got the axe after only one. :wave: (least in the usa)

One year wonder right here!

24577_0_1_2_g650x%20challenge_Image%20credits%20-%20BMW.jpg

Pat

Discontinuing a model in 2 years seems non typical for BMW. Whether being cars or bikes, they have in the past kept models in production for some time.

I haven't heard--or maybe haven't been paying attention--but isn't the K1300S going to stay in production?

The LT was getting pretty long in the tooth, so a replacement was needed. My guess is that they simply figured that a six-cylinder would at a little more appeal to a GT-class offering.

K1300S stays in production. The 2011 are already in showrooms. The K1200LT's last model year was 2009, still available in 2010. Yes, BMW could have made a LT based on the K1300 motor. That's was I expected. With a completely new basic design, it could not be a LT only. Limited sales, mostly in USA. So we have a GT and a GTL. The intent is to have a full luxury touring bike, still sportier than a Goldwing or Harley Ultra. Like a 7 series BMW car compared to a Lexus 460.

I can't wait to see this new 6 cylinder bike. When I bought my current RT (my third) I test-rode a LT. I was much more impressed than I expected. But superior handling kept me in the RT camp.

I hope this bike is an enourmus success for BMW.

I'll bet that nine out of ten owners are going to talk about the six cylinder engine (insert a Tim Allen grunt here) before anything else on the bike. Good move on BMW's part. Can't wait to see both bikes!

Pat

Check out the placement of the front turn signals.

jztchu.jpg

And it appears the cat is back under the bike and not integrated into the exhaust can?

15dngic.jpg

Its not a type of bike I would consider buying (at least not for another 20 years or so), but I really like it. Love the angel eyes on the headlights. They have always been an identifying visual banner on BMW cars, and I like the addition of them here.

Hope they sell a bunch of them.

Archived