IGNORED

New BMW K1600GT and K160GTL Announcement

Limecreek

They look nice. Just wondering what they weigh, hp rating, price and how much heat they will give off in 100 degree temps.

In Alberta you're talking 100 degrees Kelvin right? :)

They look nice. Just wondering what they weigh, hp rating, price and how much heat they will give off in 100 degree temps.

I haven't read any specifics about the weight, but they claim that the HP is 160.

I think they look marvelous, and hope that they sell well.

The placement of the lights up underneath the front fairing looks interesting. Probably LED's. I wonder if they serve as running lights as well as signals.

And I'm anxious to hear that 6 cylinder motor.

Firefight911

At 703 lbs. (K 1600 GT without panniers) and 767 lbs. (K 1600 GTL with panniers and topcase) the new touring bikes are in the lower range of the segment.

Engine output 118 kW (160 bhp) at 7,750rpm and maximum torque 175 Nm (129 Lb. ft.) at 5,250 rpm.

At 703 lbs. (K 1600 GT without panniers) and 767 lbs. (K 1600 GTL with panniers and topcase) the new touring bikes are in the lower range of the segment.

Really? Those seem like pretty heavy motos to me. The published wet weight of my R1200ST--admittedly a much less luxurious bike than these--is 505 lbs. I have been contemplated moving back up to a bike that is more heavily weighted (pun intended) toward the touring side of the sport/touring equation, but it's a little hard for me to wrap my brain around the idea of buying a bike that's 200 - 250 lbs. heavier than my ST.

Honda ST1300

Wet: 319kg, 702lbs ABS +6kg +13lbs

715 or so, w/a lot less HP.

ST

Maximum Power: 87kW 115hp 8,000rpm

Maximum Torque: 117Nm 85fp 6,500rpm

Transmission: 5-speed, hydraulic wet clutch.

So, it is relative.

C 14 curb weight @ 690 pounds

Honda GoldWing curbwight over 800 pounds.

Now, I agree, 500 pounds is nicer most of the time.

:wave:

markgoodrich

Engine output 118 kW (160 bhp) at 7,750rpm and maximum torque 175 Nm (129 Lb. ft.) at 5,250 rpm.

Well, just barely, Phil...at the low weight range. My old GL1800 was allegedly about 800 dry. It was great for two up touring, and even fun, at a relatively sedate pace, in squiggly roads, but add 340 pounds of passengers and their riding gear, and then load up the cases with two weeks' worth of stuff, and suddenly we were pushing 1300+ pounds of motorcycle around. Not a problem under sail, but a bear in stop and go traffic or parking lots. However, the real killer with the GL was heat, due to being so well-protected behind the fairings. Not an issue in some climates, but it was the main reason we switched to the RT. This thing will be a handful two up loaded, just like the Goldwing. Best get to work on the leg strengthing....

I really like the 1600's lines, I love the technology, and I'm happy to see the fairings seem to be similar in size to the current crop of BMWs. What I don't like is the tacked-on appearance of the top case, but then I don't like it on the RT or the Kurrent Ks either.

The low, thin-looking rider seat on the LT model looks like it might be a bit problematic, and as usual, BMW has too much rear rise in the pillion seat. Otherwise, I think the bike looks great.

Another big plus, of course, is that none of the photos show any final drives on fire.

What I don't quite understand is the multi-mode deal, rain, sport, etc. What's it change? Fuel mapping? The bikes also come with ESA and optional traction control...almost sounds like the WSBK electronics.

Like you, I love the red.

Now, let's see what the new ST1200 looks like....

Old LT was around 778 pounds. This is 767 pounds. Only shed 11 pounds with the newer tech? Add gas and it's over 800? Riders and gear 1200 pounds? It'll be a handful and probably a lot of heat off that exposed engine as mentioned when summer comes around and gridlock traffic.

Still beats the latest Gold Wing (airbag model is close to 900 pounds) by maybe 100 pounds.

Wonder how much damage is done to it as it looks like they removed the LT bumpers in case of a fall over. Least the Gold Wing could be uprighted without a lot of fanfare or extra help due to the crashbars. This?

The RT is looking pretty good still and this looks a bit like it copied the RT side fairings.

Not as revolutionary as I had hoped compared to their sportbike which seems to sell well among the squidly crowd.

jazzy-

I do like what I see so far with this new model. Make mine dark maroon with black wheels

Not sure if it's cool to quote yourself but damn they listened, almost! :thumbsup:

gt_more_K1600s_037.jpg

Pat

Firefight911
Phil-

You ordered yours yet?? ;)

It is a nice looking bike.... :thumbsup:

You need to get up on current events! NO!

As for your second comment, yes, it is very nice!

CoarsegoldKid

It is a nice looking bike.... :thumbsup:

no coffee holders or USB port

Aside from two extra cylinders how is this different from the K1300 motor. I hope they didn't just add two more.

Watching the lengthy 21 minute video, I found it virtually impossible to differentiate this K1600GT from my similarly colored R1200RT, EXCEPT from the rear. The dual muffs and sound are very different.

Is it worth paying big bucks for a shiny new 1600 when most everybody will mistake it for an RT? I think not. There's nothing special at all about the looks to make it stand out from what we already have.

Just my 2 cents worth(less).

Watching the lengthy 21 minute video, I found it virtually impossible to differentiate this K1600GT from my similarly colored R1200RT, EXCEPT from the rear. The dual muffs and sound are very different.

Is it worth paying big bucks for a shiny new 1600 when most everybody will mistake it for an RT? I think not. There's nothing special at all about the looks to make it stand out from what we already have.

Just my 2 cents worth(less).

Personally, the point for me isn't whether it looks sufficiently different from the RT, a great bike, but whether the overall package--power, handling, technology--are better suited to my desires. I personally think that it's a good thing that BMW is adopting a recognizably distinct design theme across its product line, but the question for me isn't whether it looks different.

I like this bike!

Until now, I wasn't a believer at all. I wondered why BMW would waste its time building such a bike, although I agreed that the K1200LT needed to be replaced. This bike, however, is a sweet machine indeed! I can't wait to actually see one!

(Would I buy one? If I wanted a big touring bike, no question. For my money, though, the K1300S or the R1200GS would be more to my liking).

Poster: VinnyR11

Subject: Re: New BMW K1600GT and K160GTL Announcement

Originally Posted By: Lmar

In Alberta you're talking 100 degrees Kelvin right? smile

Its at least a 100 degrees Kelvin, I haven't done the actual conversion! :rofl:

In response to:

Poster: Mike

Originally Posted By: 1bmwfan

Originally Posted By: Lmar

Really? Those seem like pretty heavy motos to me. The published wet weight of my R1200ST--admittedly a much less luxurious bike than these--is 505 lbs. I have been contemplated moving back up to a bike that is more heavily weighted (pun intended) toward the touring side of the sport/touring equation, but it's a little hard for me to wrap my brain around the idea of buying a bike that's 200 - 250 lbs. heavier than my ST.

That's one thing among many things that I like about the Rt. Its light and nimble. My 2003 GL was heavy. I found the weight and heat it threw to be a PITA.

Is it worth paying big bucks for a shiny new 1600 when most everybody will mistake it for an RT?

Personally, I wouldn't be buying a bike based on how it appears to "everybody". I figure if "everybody" doesn't like it, they can get their own bike...

In response to:

Poster: CommuterChris

low seat option is 29.5 which isn't bad at all.

Does the seat look like the OEM RT Seat? For me that was the worst seat of any bike I have ever owned.

I like this bike!

I wondered if all that luggage could be removed to enable riding that big powerhouse of a motorcycle as a naked* bike:

1035141156_JVvfx-L.jpg

Me likey! :thumbsup:

*OK, not really naked with that huge fairing, but close enough!

Way too big

Way too heavy

Way too ugly

I would never own one

Oh wait, I said that about the RT not too many years ago and I own one now :grin:

Likewise having viewed the 21 min video and specs (thanks, Phil), I like it very much! Having "family" genes like an RT or KGT is natural IMO. Don't most enthusiasts recognize contemporary BMW sedans? Similar rationale. A K1600GTL could well be in my future depending on $$. My RT is paid for and the 1600 series with higher part content and assembly labor will certainly be more spendy.

markgoodrich

Dammit. I only have 56,000 miles on the RT. Let's see, when does it come out? Divide 44,000 by number of months and maybe I can talk myself into it.

Oh this is bad...very very bad!!! I was firm in my resolution to to like the new 6'er, but now that the actual model pics are out and I see the two up ride on it, (adequate ground clearance, better seating over the RT) I am being drawn to the dark side. And to sweetent he pot, more HP and torque at lower levels, perfect for the tight twisties in the mountains. I will absolutely be watching for dealer shows so I can get a look.

Oh this is going to cost me...$$$ and Honey do's!

You own a RT and think it's ugly? I don't get that. The K1600 profile looks like it was lifted right from the R1200RT. It's gorgeous bike and a leap beyond the K1200 and K1300GT slab-sided looks. You even get to see beautiful motor, something very rare these days. It does not look to big to me. The front profile is less wide than the RT. Yes it is heavy and we don't know some of the specs yet. Like the gas tank... MPG. From the looks it looks like BMW has hit a home run with these bikes.

Firefight911
Yes it is heavy and we don't know some of the specs yet. Like the gas tank... MPG. From the looks it looks like BMW has hit a home run with these bikes.

All the specs are known!

As previously posted in this thread -

LINKY to Specs

Firefight911

Some interesting comparison numbers -

Fuel consumption -

100km @ 90km/h

13GT = 5.0 l

16GT = 4.5 l

100km @ 120km/h

13GT = 5.9 l

16GT = 5.7 l

Fuel Tank size

13GT = 24 l

16GT = 24 l

Wheelbase

13GT = 1572 mm

16GT = 1618 mm

Steering Head Angle

13GT = 60.6 degrees

16GT = 62.2 degrees

Alternator Output

13GT = 945w

16GT = 580w (no, not a typo!)

Interesting stuff!

Better gas mileage, slower steering, less electrical reserve for Gerbing type additions.

I also noticed the alternator output and was surprised. My R12RT has a 720W alternator if I recall. Wonder why this 6-cyl with that much more power has noticeably less alt output.

Paul Mihalka
I also noticed the alternator output and was surprised. My R12RT has a 720W alternator if I recall. Wonder why this 6-cyl with that much more power has noticeably less alt output.

Weight, size, $$$. Good point that with LED and HID you need less power.

Oh man, the rt should be nervous, very nervous! Sounds sweet & looks beautiful! :thumbsup:

Pat

+1 i will be all over that in 2 years once the bugs are worked out. By then BMW will make it a K1800GT... and then 2 more years for tweaking it......then another and another...looks like I won't get one after all.

To expand on what Phil started the figures for the R1200RT and K1600GTL were added for comparison.

Fuel consumption

100km @ 90km/h

13GT = 5.0 l

16GT = 4.5 l

12RT = 3.6 l

100km @ 120km/h

13GT = 5.9 l

16GT = 5.7 l

12RT = 4.8 l

Fuel Tank size

13GT = 24 l

16GT = 24 l

16GTL = 26.5 l

12RT = 27/25-usable

Wheelbase

13GT = 1572 mm

16GT = 1618 mm

12RT = 1484 mm

Steering Head Angle

13GT = 60.6 degrees

16GT = 62.2 degrees

12RT = 63.4 degrees

Alternator Output

13GT = 945w

16GT = 580w

12RT = 720w

Length

16GT = 2324 mm

16GTL = 2489 mm

12RT = 2230 mm

Width

16GT = 1000/980 (with, w/o mirrors)

12RT = 906/800 (with, w/o mirrors)

Weight

16GT = 319 kg (90% fuel, w/o pannier)

16GTL = 348 kg (90% fuel, w/pannier, topcase)

12RT = 259 kg (DIN unladen in road trim)

Max Weight

16GT = 540 kg

16GTL = 560 kg

12RT = 495 kg

Wheels

Front

16GT = 3.50 x 17 in

12RT = 3.50 x 17 in

Rear

16GT = 6.00 x 17 in

12RT = 5.00 x 17 in

Tires

Front

16GT = 120/70

12RT = 120/70

Rear

16GT = 190/55

12RT = 180/55

The original GT, still the best looking beemer ever, is hardly slab sided.

All others are mere imitations, wannabees.

20427_0_1_2_k%201200%20gt_Image%20credits%20-%20The%20respective%20copyright%20holder%20or%20manufacturer.jpg

To expand on what Phil started the figures for the R1200RT and K1600GTL were added for comparison.

While the new K16's really light my fire, the comparison of specs with the RT really illustrate what a great design it is: comparatively light, more efficient, and, almost certainly, more responsive, an extremely capable tourer.

Archived