IGNORED

Torrey XIX

Bob Palin

VladtheImpaler
Wow...

Three posts in a month for Vlad! Careful...you're using up your yearly allotment. :wave:

Some of us still work, Edd. :wave:

Mrs. Caddis

Is anyone trailering out of the Denver area?

No trailer, just two RT's and two grins. Leaving Thurs am.

Whoo Hooo

I am now 99% sure we will be in Torrey by about 1pm Thursday, leaving Monday morning. I love it when a plan comes together!

Well, I hated doing it, but I just cancelled my reservations at the CW. Debi and I aren't able to make all arrangements for someone to watch the kids.

20% chance I come by myself and find some tent space at Killers.

Trust me, I am not happy as I think I have only missed 3 Torrey gatherings over the years and I have been looking forward to it since September. If I can't make it, I will hope to see everyone at the next gathering.

Well, I hated doing it, but I just cancelled my reservations at the CW. Debi and I aren't able to make all arrangements for someone to watch the kids.

Trust me, I am not happy as I think I have only missed 3 Torrey gatherings over the years and I have been looking forward to it since September. If I can't make it, I will hope to see everyone at the next gathering.

Andy, I'm gonna stick my neck out and speak for Al as well as myself. We'll donate a free night's stay on the couch in the middle cabin if you make it.

Andy, I'm gonna stick my neck out and speak for Al as well as myself. We'll donate a free night's stay on the couch in the middle cabin if you make it.

I got that beat....Tom is camping, his bed is empty.

;)

I got that beat....Tom is camping, his bed is empty.

;)

I don't know Whip,,Spooning with al and Fernando or a cold empty bed,,Thats a hard choice :rofl:

And since it is Spring Torrey, Laura and I are bringing our kids. So why not just pack up the whole brood and come down!!

One more day of work.

;)

Yup. Gonna be at my desk on Monday, but my heart will be on the road. We're gonna smoke outta here at 4AM Tuesday to beat the morning rush hour down in Portland. After that, it's slab to SLC, a quick exit at Spanish Fork, and then into Torrey via Huntington Canyon, UT-10 and Sweeper Madness.

Mr. Palin. What's the latest on the condition of UT-10? Much construction? If so, how long of a section? 50 miles of it would be substantially too much, but 5 miles we can do. What say ye?

Building on EffBee's question...

Alert for any who may be planning to use I-15 South of SLC to Spanish Fork.

There is a major re-construction project of I-15 from south side of SLC toward Provo/Spanish Fork.

I personally have not traveled I-15 since it began but is a subject of the news reports concerning delays. I am sure that some times of the day it may be more of an issue- such as southbound during the commute time, i.e. 3-6 pm.

Here is one link: http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=10760392

This is a link to our spiffy traffic/commuter info system. Real-time cameras: http://www.commuterlink.utah.gov/

Since Mrs Hopz and I will be going to Torrey ourselves I have a dog in this fight. We will probably be taking an alternate route such as 68 to 6 thru Goshen Canyon to Nephi then onward to Salina. It is not the most scenic but it is quick and the most direct.

If you still want to do Huntington Canyon... there is a good way from Nephi over to 89, north to Fairview then to the Canyon. Very Scenic in a rural Utah sort of way. You will still have to deal with the Hwy 10 issue.

FYI...Wolf Creek Pass from Francis to Hannah appears to be still closed unless you have a 4-wheel drive motorcycle. I will try to confirm Monday when the DOT offices are open.

Having said all that- maybe some of our south-side guys can give a first-hand report on the situation.

As the locals say... "There are really two seasons in Utah... Winter and Construction"...

Any Torrey-bound travelers who need a stop or a hand in the SLC area do not hesitate to contact me.

Send PM for numbers....

The work on Utah 10 is listed as three miles from mile markers 13-16, with a gravel road diversion and flaggers.

We went through the work on I-15 near Provo during off-peak hours... early afternoon on a Thursday, with no slowing or problems. The alternate, Utah 68, adds an hour to your route. Take your chances.

I sent an email to the State yesterday asking why they had not posted updates to the winter road closures report or any projected opening dates. Hopefully have an answer Monday. Last year Wolf Creek Pass (UT-35 through Hanna) was open by now, and this year we have a much lighter snow pack, so I would think there is a chance. We were thinking of going that way, then 191 and 96 to Fairview.

The work in Zion, for those coming from CA or LV may be quite significant.

Thanks for the update. I would rather deal with the I-15 thing than go 68 so that is a plus.

FWIW- Road Closure-wise... East Canyon is still closed. Last year it was way open by now. and Mirror Lake highway is not forecated

to open till mid-June.

AMBER ALERT!!!

Please Help!! I've been kidnapped by 2 unknown rednecks who gave me 24 hours to pack my bike and my booze ...

Last I checked we were headed west. ;)

Day 1: societal norms still being observed (for now) :rofl:

"Day 1: societal norms still being observed (for now) "

OMG... You've been ravished and buried already??? :cry::eek:

Mr. Palin. What's the latest on the condition of UT-10? Much construction? If so, how long of a section? 50 miles of it would be substantially too much, but 5 miles we can do. What say ye?

Came up 10 last Sunday and it was much better than I previously reported, they have switched traffic over to the new carriageway so there is only a mile or less of dirt and it was in good shape. It was Sunday so there was nobody working of course. Also drove Huntington Canyon, still lots of snow at the top but the roads were clean.

UDOT web site says Wolf and Mirror Lake highways won't be open until June.

Came up 10 last Sunday and it was much better than I previously reported, they have switched traffic over to the new carriageway so there is only a mile or less of dirt and it was in good shape. It was Sunday so there was nobody working of course. Also drove Huntington Canyon, still lots of snow at the top but the roads were clean.

UDOT web site says Wolf and Mirror Lake highways won't be open until June.

I always check this page. It just says closed until further notice. In years past projected opening dates have been posted there.

Where are you and Stovall finding the projected opening info?

barryNmarin

Wait a minute... did he say "carriageway"?? So do they allow autos and motorcycles on that? And have the Amish moved in to Utah to displace the Mormons?

Reminds me of the quote about two countries divided by the same language. :grin:

That's where I saw it too - it's changed since last week, Wolf Creek wasn't open. I may do Wolf Creek Pass this afternoon on my way back to Torrey as I'm in the Tundra. That will mean going down 10 as well so I can update on that, although again it is Sunday.

Just got back from Wolf Creek Pass. Made it to within a few miles of the summit on the bikes. One lane, wet. Fair bit of through traffic. Finally some slushy two-track near the summit. No idea what lies beyond, but appeared to be in regular use by the locals as a through route. NSFMotos yet, but close.

AMBER ALERT!!!

Please Help!! I've been kidnapped by 2 unknown rednecks who gave me 24 hours to pack my bike and my booze ...

Last I checked we were headed west. ;)

You changed your name to Amber? I thought it was Shannie Mae.

A few pictures of the conditions on Wolf Creek Pass where we turned around. . .

868986934_s3NhQ-L.jpg

Looking up the pass from the North side where the road got slushy, May 16, 2010:

868986983_gGTLk-L.jpg

Looking down the pass, north, I think:

868987013_LKysm-L.jpg

868986859_iA2bZ-L.jpg

It's a shamber Mae alert

I think it should be spelled Sh-Amber Mae, or, perhaps, ShamberMay. That reminds me of a joke, but its a verbal joke that wouldn't work online. :grin::lurk:

I'll be leaving after work Thursday and stopping in Las Vegas, hopefully, and then heading into Torrey on Friday. Google says take 15 to 70 to 119 to 24. What do you folks in the know think about this route? Will this be the fastest? Most scenic? Are there better options? It will be a long day of riding for me on Friday so I would put a premium on speed. Otoh, I'm a sucker for photogenic spot. I won't have to be back to work 'til 1jun.

Societal norms - I remember those! Vaguely... :grin:

I'll be leaving after work Thursday and stopping in Las Vegas, hopefully, and then heading into Torrey on Friday. Google says take 15 to 70 to 119 to 24. What do you folks in the know think about this route? Will this be the fastest? Most scenic? Are there better options? It will be a long day of riding for me on Friday so I would put a premium on speed. Otoh, I'm a sucker for photogenic spot. I won't have to be back to work 'til 1jun.
Fastest and least scenic. Since you have all that time after the weekend you can do 12 south from Torrey then I guess. I would go through Zion then up 89 to 12 if I was riding up from Vegas.

Wolf Creek Pass

868986983_gGTLk-L.jpg

I made it over without any problems, there was only one place that was worse (or better as I like to say) than this, a single track through about 6" of snow but plenty wide enough for an RT.

10 is fine, the gravel section is exactly .4 miles long.

Bill_Walker
Fastest and least scenic. Since you have all that time after the weekend you can do 12 south from Torrey then I guess. I would go through Zion then up 89 to 12 if I was riding up from Vegas.

Aren't there construction delays in Zion right now?

Spend the night in Mesquite instead of Vegas, if you can. It evens it out a little better.

My choice would be to go this way, unless 14 isn't open. Pretty much the same as what Bob said, only taking 14 instead of going through Zion. Very scenic.

Pennys Dad

Spend the night in Mesquite instead of Vegas, if you can. It evens it out a little better.

My choice would be to go this way, unless 14 isn't open. Pretty much the same as what Bob said, only taking 14 instead of going through Zion. Very scenic.

Completely agree on the path being presented, you will get awesome views and good riding. We will be on the path Wednesday. If you really need to get there with haste, just take the 15 all the way up to the 70 then to SR72 south to Loa and Torrey

Yes, spend the night in Mesquite. But get a room ahead of time. They have a lot of events and sometimes rooms are scarce, at any price.

Then follow Bill's route or take I-15 to UT-20 to UT-89 south to UT-12 to Torrey. It's a littel bit out of your way, but UT-14, which is very twisty and scenic, can be an absolute bore if you get stuck behind a motorhome or someone pulling a trailer. Legal passing zones are rare. UT-20 is a piece of cake, has nice scenery, and gets you onto 89 above Panguitch. Keep going south on 89 to 12 and you'll be on one of the best roads in the west.

Day 2: social norms being stretched...

Foul odors emanating from cab of truck. Progress toward final destination continues.

:dopeslap:

Day 2: social norms being stretched...

Foul odors emanating from cab of truck. Progress toward final destination continues.

:dopeslap:

One of the biggest disadvantages of trailering......with Jethro and Jed.

:wave:

The Zion NP Facebook page says construction will begin June 1st

Archived