IGNORED

Torrey XIX

Bob Palin

lawnchairboy

man.

there is only two more full months of preliminary smack talking until the real preliminary anticipatory smack talking really begins!

:grin:

And just so you are warned, I'm in real tight with the local LEO who thinks I don't ride my bike with sufficient care. . . I plan to ride the blue bike so he won't recognize me. :grin::wave:

** This has been forwarded to the Wayne County Sheriff's office **

And just so you are warned, I'm in real tight with the local LEO who thinks I don't ride my bike with sufficient care. . . I plan to ride the blue bike so he won't recognize me. :grin::wave:

The Ouray park panger is jealous. He thought he was your fav.

:wave:

The Ouray park panger is jealous. He thought he was your fav.

:wave:

I think I see a pattern. :lurk:

• 2 weeks later...
Missouri Bob

I'm getting psyched for Torrey. Last year (my first) was more fun than it should have been. This one could be even better.

The V-Rod farkling project is coming together. I had a rack made that is big enough and ugly enough to transform the V-rod into a V-Rod GS. It should be back from the powdercoater this week.

Don't tell the UT state cops, but I'll probably be transporting Buffalo Trace again. Such a sweet and mellow buzz.

Bob

FYI... "Trace" is on the Utah Department of Adult Beverage CONTROL... play list. You maybe can call ahead to the store in Bicknell and be sure there is some there for you... or we can bring some down. You do not want to get caught importing into Utah... they get testy about that sort of challenge to their CONTROL.

Don't tell the UT state cops, but I'll probably be transporting Buffalo Trace again. Such a sweet and mellow buzz.

Bob

I know nothing about Buffalo Trace but I think you can probably get some in the Henry Mountains.

I only got a couple of drops of Buffalo Trace left. How about some Auchentoshan 3 wood?

Yup, oddly enough a window in my May schedule has appeared from May 20 to 24th. Just have to finish getting the new house squared away and maybe I can swing a long weekend in Torrey. Snowed the last 2 Torreys I went to, maybe I can avoid that for once.

Mike Cassidy

Missouri Bob
You do not want to get caught importing into Utah... they get testy about that sort of challenge to their CONTROL.

Guess I should leave the bong at home.

Bob

I see that there are a bunch of trail riding available. Can you assure this Newbie that there are some great roads to ride? I might have some "extra" vacation time to use up and it would be good to meet everyone.

If by roads you mean smooth twisty ribbons of asphalt with clear sight lines and very little traffic for miles in all directions then Torrey is the place for you.

I am one of many tour guides at your service.

Whip

Torrey started as a street riding event, and most folk still street ride. The street riding is very fine. The dirt riding and 4wd expeditions began later, as so many folk had been many times, and it opens an additional dimension to the area. There is also a lot of truly world class hiking, 4 national parks within day distance, two national monuments and an NRA. A number of Wilderness and Wilderness Study Areas too. Pictographs. If you've never been in the area, you really should make it.

Bob's Torrey Page.

If you click this link you will see three links under "Ride Maps." Click each of these. Each one is a great day ride from Torrey.

Here are two more. Maybe Bob can pick them up from here and add them.

UT-95

I showed it to Natural Bridges, but you can turn around earlier, or extend to Monument Valley, or loop around through Moab (though I personally prefer to do that as an overnighter).

Burr Trail

You can take the Burr Trail to the point where the pavement ends, and then come back, or combine this with the Highway 12 Route to Escalante.

I see that there are a bunch of trail riding available.

Uh Oh.....

MB>

All of the off road is really easy, anybody on a Harley could do it.

20090317_sd800_2075.JPG

20090317_sd800_2106.JPG

It's so dull sometimes the bikes have to take a rest

img_0998.jpg

There's more, lots more....

Coming from WA, it's two days out and two days back, plus 3 there. That's a chunk of vacation time, so I don't think I'll be able to make two Torreys a year. Between the Spring and Fall events, Spring has more people, Fall has better colors. I'll have to choose one, so having just been there in the Fall, count me in for the Spring. The CW has AzAl and me in the middle cabin again, and I know we left at least one bottle of single malt tucked away up in the kitchen cabinet. . .

Then again, if I buy a truck and my wife helps with the 18-hour drive, and if we can unload somewhere near SLC, hmmmmm.

If you want to stay here on your way there and/or back you are certainly welcome to stop in. Not sure what Calvin's plans are. At one point he was talking about leaving an LT here between Torreys, for the UN. So there may be a fight for the spare room, but we have an extra mattress too. We're leaving for Torrey Wednesday morning as things stand now, and returning Sunday or Monday. If you can ride with us great, but if our schedule's don't match up you are certainly welcome to spend the night here, and leave the truck and trailer here, even if we are gone.

The Spring Route is usually this one. Although if Wolf Creek Pass is open and we want a longer day, we can do this, as well.

School will be done and I'll be there. Been a few years so I may have to look at a map.

I miss my friends.

This thread has been going on so long that I'm afraid I'm going to read the next post, and find out I've already said this.... but in any event, looking forward to finally meeting you!

Casa Hopz also has room... garage, parking pad, tools and bedrooms.

Homebrew may still be available although I have not brewed in a while...

"Now, what was that I heard about snow and Auchentoshan Three Wood..."

Any special orders check out this page: Kensington Wine Market and use the "Scotch search" tab.

I can add the Givi case to carry an extra bottle or two.

Mike Cassidy

I just canceled my reservation at the Trading Post (across the street from the CW and about 1/2 the price). Had a cabin reserved for Thur.-Sat. nights that is now available.

Unfortunately I just discovered that Relay for Life got moved up to that weekend. Will see you all in Sept if not at the UnRally.

**   Chris   **
If by roads you mean smooth twisty ribbons of asphalt with clear sight lines and very little traffic for miles in all directions then Torrey is the place for you.

Whip

“We are spending more money than we have ever spent before, and it does not work. After 8 yrs we have just as much unemployment as when we started, and an enormous debt to boot.” H. M. 1939

So are you a tour guide only or do you double as a fishing guide too?

In your signature, the quote is from H.M., what does that stand for? Harpo Marx?

Paul Mihalka

A little hijack: H.M. probably is for H.L. Menken, Baltimore's favorite son.

Many of his statements apply today.

"No one in this world has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people. Nor has anyone ever lost public office thereby."

Not politics. Applies to everybody.

Whip

“We are spending more money than we have ever spent before, and it does not work. After 8 yrs we have just as much unemployment as when we started, and an enormous debt to boot.” H. M. 1939

In your signature, the quote is from H.M., what does that stand for? Harpo Marx?

Henry Morgenthau

Whip

Henry Morgenthau

Funny, I was thinking Menken as well. This Morgenthau fellow seems like an interesting sort--even more so when taken in context. Happy Birthday, Whipster! :wave:
I see that there are a bunch of trail riding available. Can you assure this Newbie that there are some great roads to ride? I might have some "extra" vacation time to use up and it would be good to meet everyone.

Don't believe anything these people have told you about the riding to be had in and around the state of Utah, or any of the neighboring states for that matter. Believe me, we all travel to this area for the bird watching and great restaurants. You will be really bored and it's so crowded too.

Whip

Henry Morgenthau

Funny, I was thinking Menken as well. This Morgenthau fellow seems like an interesting sort--even more so when taken in context. Happy Birthday, Whipster! :wave:

???????????????

Morgenthau was an orthodox economist who opposed Keynesian economics and disapproved of some elements of Roosevelt's New Deal. To finance World War II, he initiated an elaborate system of marketing war bonds.

...and thanks for the HB.

We can discuss this more in another thread or in Torrey....

How many days now?????

How many days now?????

Too many. According to Bob 37 days and 22 hours... I think that means it starts at 4 pm on the 21st. But I can't see leaving it go that long. :) When are you getting there?

You think its close enough we need to start working Phil over?

Does this mean you won't be there??? eek

mad

No, it means that it is a loooooooonnnnnngggggggg way away.

You?

What is the best Motel to stay at ? Or is it to late to find a room.

Kevin

Bob's Lodging Page

Probably waiting list at Chuckwagon. Boulder View Inn and Capitol Reef Inn are the two next usual suspects. Torrey School House is closer to the CW, but costs more, and breakfast (it's a very nice B&B) tends to be a little late for group activities.

Hang out at the CW (whether you have a room there or not) and at Bob's House. Bob's House is approximately at the point marked B.

lawnchairboy

don't scare them off, they will see my rig with Shanny-Mae's rocking chair tied to the top and go running!

**   Chris   **

Kevin

I am still waiting on my call from the CW letting me know I don't have to sleep under the over pass with the winos and former professional athletes.

Kevin

I am still waiting on my call from the CW letting me know I don't have to sleep under the over pass with the winos and former professional athletes.

Overpass?

This is Torrey. There ain't no overpasses!

Kevin

Overpass?

This is Torrey. There ain't no overpasses!

What about a bridge or two? There has to a place us newbies might have to crash for a night.

Thanks to all to assuring me that I don't have to take my RT out on those trails, that might be a little hard for me. I've got vacation approved at work. Now need to work on the wifes approval. When she is on board I can start to worry about where I'm going to lay my pretty little head.

It sounds like there are several people coming from the East/Southeast. Has anyone worked out their schedule when they might be going past the I-35 corridor that might not mind a little company?

Chad

The Bolder View is it. They had two rooms left. Now they have one. Looking forward to riding around Torrey. Any body coming from the west , we could hook up for the ride across Nevada.

Kevin

Hey all you guys staying at the Boulder View. If rooms open up at the Wagon, don't bail on Sue (the owner of the BV). She is a great gal and it's not fair to her. A lot of people did it last Torrey. Small town..The word gets out fast. She was not going to rent rooms to us if it happens again. Like I said, she is a great gal with CLEAN nice rooms. Thanks, Tim

Hay all you guys staying at the Bolder View,,If rooms open up at the Wagon,Don't bail on Sue,,( The owner of the BV ) She is a great gal and it's not fair to her,,A lot of people did it last Torrey,,Small town..The word gets out fast ,,She was not going to rent rooms to us if it happens agean, Like I said ,She is a great gay with CLEAN nice rooms,,Thanks,Tim

What Tim Says. In all honesty there is little real difference in staying at either place anymore since'

A> they are about 1/8th of a mile apart

B> We have peeps at both

Happy so many folks are coming

Tom

Archived