IGNORED

Come Ridin

OoPEZoO

Here we go:

Laurel Lounge/Valley View Grill

The Laurel Lounge, located in the Main Lodge, is a full service bar and restaurant. The lounge features a new food outlet - The Valley View Grill, offering guest an affordable menu with all items less than $10. The Valley View Grill opens daily for lunch and dinner service.

The lounge features entertainment at various times throughout the year.

Daily Hours: 11am - Close

11:00am

Which we all know is 5:00 PM in France so libations are ok. But I was hoping to get some riding in before we all sit around and tell lies to each other. :D

David

Lies? Lies! Who tells lies?

Oh, you know. The usual...

"I got 25k on my last set of Pirelli Diablo's"

"That synthetic junk will tear up your motor. Better put in some pure dino."

"I road my RT 20 miles down a goat path and river to get here." (Actually, this one is true...I've seen the pictures. :wave: Hi Keith.)

"Here. Take a drink of this. It won't hurt you."

"This one time at band camp..."

David

Our Group Reservation Page is only showing the people in the list below. I know more people than this have signed up, and many of these rooms are two people. So, I'm guessing that many of our people are not being logged as part of our group. I just hope everyone is getting our group rate. If you name's not on the list, you might want to double-check your rates, just-in-case.

Betit, John ~ 6/26/2009 - 6/28/2009

Boisvert, Richard ~ 6/26/2009 - 6/28/2009

Cantin, David ~ 6/25/2009 - 6/28/2009

Celko, Robert ~ 6/25/2009 - 6/28/2009

Fraembs, Tina ~ 6/26/2009 - 6/28/2009

Goodrich, Mark ~ 6/25/2009 - 6/30/2009

Hicks, David ~ 6/25/2009 - 6/28/2009

Liber, David ~ 6/26/2009 - 6/28/2009

Mckim, Roger ~ 6/25/2009 - 6/28/2009

Nowicki, Ed ~ 6/26/2009 - 6/28/2009

Redpath, James ~ 6/26/2009 - 6/28/2009 2

Titus, Craig ~ 6/25/2009 - 6/28/2009 3

markgoodrich

SWMBO and I will likely ride from Austin to Memphis Tuesday, on the freeways, but then we want to veer off to the back roads, arriving Thursday. Any suggestions for routes would be greatly appreciated.

Paul Mihalka

Writing this from hotel in Seattle. More on that later. Arriving home Wednesday pm. If weather is nice and I fall out of bed at 4am, I might join you for Sunday breakfast. Have fun, guys and gals!

Paul -

Would be great to see you! We'll keep a place at the buffet open for you. Just be careful of all the deer in the area - they seem a little TOO tame.

Jim

Craig,

I went with a king room which was specifically listed as not covered so I didn't bother to ask for the group rate. I did mention in the comments section of the online booking that I was part of the BMWST group however.

Hmm ... I thought as much.

In going through this post, it looks to me like we'll have somewhere between 30-40 people there Friday & Saturday nights.

I'll be there Thursday and I can't wait. I got new rubber and I'm not washing my bike.

I got new rubber and I'm not washing my bike.

I still haven't washed mine from our last excursion out there......all of the recent rain has washed off most of the mess, but I still have a good healthy coat of crud on everything.

Well everybody, after careful consideration and much deliberation the official name of the event is

The First Annual Rubber Chicken Rendezvous.

istockphoto_1597664-rubber-chicken.jpg

"Come ride with your friends in the Rubber Chicken Coalition!"

Well everybody, after careful consideration and much deliberation the official name of the event is

The First Annual Rubber Chicken Rendezvous.

istockphoto_1597664-rubber-chicken.jpg

"Come ride with your friends in the Rubber Chicken Coalition!"

I've just upgraded my room to the Colonel Sanders Suite.

markgoodrich

Wheee! We're about half-packed, leaving on the dawn patrol tomorrow morning for Memphis, then have 1,000 miles of back roads mapped out to get to the resort by Thursday evening.

If you see an RT on the road with an electric blue duffel bag strapped on top of the right sidecase, you'll know it's me'n SWMBO.

I'm disappointed in the renaming of the event, however. I personally think it should be the First Annual Rubber Chicken Excursion: The F.A.R.C.E.

I only hope a few things for you guys...

1. safe riding

2. pleasant conditions

3. chicken fingers on the buffet

I guess this gives a whole new meaning to chicken strips doesn't it?

ROUTE FILES - ROUTE FILES - ROUTE FILES

If you would like the the GPS route files we put together, send me your email address via PM, and I'll send them to you sometime Tuesday (Wednesday at the latest).

INFO RE: ROUTE FILES:

We created two files for this event (created in Mapsource version 6.15.6 and do work very well with the newest 2010 maps. I can't guarantee anything if you have older maps):

RCR_Routes.gdb:

A collection of 7 routes, and 82 categorized WPTs - many that are destination WPTs and the majority are intersection WPTs to aid in you planning your own routes or modifying the existing routes.

RCR_WPTs-POIs.gdb:

A collection of 61 waypoints of a wide variety of destinations. Covered-bridges, Waterfalls, Roadside America type places (weird), various parks, BMW dealers within 4 hours or so, etc. This is really just a database to aid people in building their own routes, or to augment those in the other data set.

DON"T FORGET TO RECALCULATE EACH ROUTE IN MAPSOURCE BEFORE LOADING INTO YOUR GPS!

If you have GPS other than a Garmin, let me know you need the "universal" .gpx format.

Disclaimer: I only know my own GPS capabilities (Zumo 550). I don't know the limitations of other units. If your GPS can only take as few as 50 WPTs, some of the WPTs will not load if you load the whole file. If that's the case, you'll need to create a smaller file in Mapsource for the the route you're interested in.

ROUTE FILES - ROUTE FILES - ROUTE FILES

If you would like the the GPS route files we put together, send me your email address via PM, and I'll send them to you sometime Tuesday (Wednesday at the latest).

GPS? GPS? What is this GPS you speak of?

Craig, please PM me with your cell number... in case I get lost on my way out Friday.

clothes were washed and folded

new tires

fresh oil and filter

wash the bike and clean the windshield

mount the video camera

top off the gas

fill the tank bag with essentials

leave in about 53 hours

priceless

Thanks for screwing us Randy..... :/

Ride safe, we'll see ya in a few days

nope, you are not screwed, I washed the bike and cleaned the windshield to try some video taping. so there was a purpose :-) does not count against you, if you have to wash and clean for a purpose, that is the rule. :-)

I only hope a few things for you guys...

1. safe riding

2. pleasant conditions

3. chicken fingers on the buffet

I guess this gives a whole new meaning to chicken strips doesn't it?

+1 :wave:

Thanks for screwing us Randy..... :/

Ride safe, we'll see ya in a few days

Keith,

We are OK I still have a good bug collection going.

Unless someone is planning on showing up on a ragged out dual sport, I'm pretty sure I will win the dirty bike award. I haven't even rinsed it off since before I left for the BRR. I had to scrape dried mud off the wheel last weekend to change the front tire. I really need a GS. :rofl:

That makes two of us. I still have all the grime and dirt from our scouting trip. I did knock off the mud from my boots, however.

As for a GS or Katoom ... next year!

Crap - I washed the bike as soon as I got home. Guess we're in trouble!

Given that I had to ride through rain to get to the scouting trip, I think I've done my rain in that area for this year. So hopefully we'll be in good shape.

I'll see if I can find a rubber chicken to bring along and sacrifice if there is a need to appease the rain gods. ;-)

Jim

My plan is to bring some soap with me. If it starts raining, I'll just throw some soap at the bike and keep riding. My gear could probably use some too.

markgoodrich
Wheee! We're about half-packed, leaving on the dawn patrol tomorrow morning for Memphis, then have 1,000 miles of back roads mapped out to get to the resort by Thursday evening.

If you see an RT on the road with an electric blue duffel bag strapped on top of the right sidecase, you'll know it's me'n SWMBO.

I'm disappointed in the renaming of the event, however. I personally think it should be the First Annual Rubber Chicken Excursion: The F.A.R.C.E.

Gahhh. F.A.R.C.E. is right. Left Austin this morning at 6:20, it was already 85. By the time we were 100 miles east of Dallas it was over 100, and it STAYED over 100, up to 104, all the way to Memphis, except for about 20 minutes when we went through a thunderstorm in Arkansas; never thought 95 degrees would feel refreshingly cool :eek:

We had to stop every hour and literally douse ourselves in the truck stops. That's WITH evap vests. Fingers crossed that we'll run into cooler weather as we run east along the TN/KY border tomorrow. All those stops to cool down sure made for a long day.

But it'll be WORTH IT! RIGHT?!

I'm posting this for Craig. Click on the route files below and you should be able to download them to your computer.

GPS Files. We have put together a couple of GPS files to assist in your ride planning. These routes won’t make or break your weekend. In this event, you’re not only responsible for your own ride, you’re responsible for your own fun! Hopefully what we have provided will help if nothing more that to be a start for your ride plans. These routes comprise a variety of roads (technical and scenic) and cover a variety of areas in the NE quadrant of WV. If you like to string together twisty after twisty, we recommend you use a map or the tools we provide to create your own route in Mapsource. Speaking of which, these were created using Mapsource version 6.15.6 and seem to work well in the 2010 map versions.

RCR_Routes.gdb – A collection of 7 routes and 82 categorized waypoints (WPTs) – not to be confused with route WPTs).

These routes were constructed over the larger arterial, better paved roads in the northern and eastern quadrants of WV. Most routes are between 200 - 300 miles in length, which can be covered in 4 to 6 hours with normal stops. If you stop for sightseeing and lunch, add another hours on to your trip.

A good many of the 82 WPTS are places thought to be likely destinations (some eateries, gas, state parks, etc. in the area near Canaan Valley). The majority of the WPTs are "intersection WPTs" – which are WPTs with push-pin symbols. Blue push pins indicate the major road intersections. Green push pins indicate a point on a scenic road.

Feel free to combine routes in Mapsource or use the RCR_WPTs_POIs.gdb file to help extend a route, or build a completely new route on the fly.

RCR_WPTs_POIs.gdb – A collection of waypoints of a wide variety of destinations.

These WPTs include covered-bridges, waterfalls, Roadside America sites (weird), various parks, BMW dealers with several hours, etc. Essentially, this is really just an extra database to grab possible destinations from and add to the other GDB file in building your own route(s).

Description of Routes/WPTs. Unfortunately I ran out of time to put complete this portion of the ride handbook. That thing called work continued to hamper my efforts. Hopefully by next year I’ll have a description of all the data … but please don’t hold me to it (especially if we change venues).

Route Naming Convention. Each of the 7 routes is named in the following format: ~ ---. The color matches the color the route is displayed in Mapsource. I’m not certain if all GPS mapping software displays the same color set (if you have something other than a Garmin, let me know how it works in your software – thanks). The mileage is important. After you open the file in your mapping software, you should recalculate each route. If the mileage on your route is different from the mileage in the name, the route changed at least slightly. Inspect the route for obvious glitches (you’ll need to zoom in to a fine level to se and fix it). Since you aren’t going to ride all 7 routes, you may wish to move the unused routes to another file so you don’t download all of them. But then again you might want them all. It’s your choice. Hopefully, these routes work for you and this has provided some level of assistance.

Gahhh. F.A.R.C.E. is right. Left Austin this morning at 6:20, it was already 85. By the time we were 100 miles east of Dallas it was over 100, and it STAYED over 100, up to 104, all the way to Memphis, except for about 20 minutes when we went through a thunderstorm in Arkansas; never thought 95 degrees would feel refreshingly cool :eek:

We had to stop every hour and literally douse ourselves in the truck stops. That's WITH evap vests. Fingers crossed that we'll run into cooler weather as we run east along the TN/KY border tomorrow. All those stops to cool down sure made for a long day.

So you are telling us that you will appreciate the weather once you get here (low-mid 80's during the day and down into the 50's at night)

I'll see what I can manage in the way of listed directions in the time remaining ... they'll be rough. As for printing, I doubt I'll get to that before I leave tomorrow morning.

Craig, I'm leaving in the morning also. I'm sure we'll have access to a computer at the hotel and can print out things there.

Thank you for your consideration of us "differently enabled" riders.

Is there a two dimentional printout of the routes for those of us who are technophobes?

Quinn, I created a series of Jpeg images if that helps. Zipped they're about 2.2 Mb. PM me and I'll email them to you.

Sent to email in your profile.

Boy, I don't know if this is going to help or not. I'm not a huge fan of Mapsource's printing capabilities. I'd prefer something like AAA Trip Ticks.

At any rate, here is a zip file of pdfs that include a map of each of the routes and the Mapsource generated driving directions.

David

Missed Albert by this much...at any rate, pdfs if you want them

Hey folks,

RT_Jim found a few "errors" in several of the route in Mapsource. :dopeslap:Nothing tragic, just the usual minute off-route routings that ocur every now and than, that irritate GPS users (ya know routes you off the highway for .1 of a mile and back on again or a minor short-cut geting on to a new road). Frustrating.

However, two routes had slightly more major changes.

White had a dipsy-doodle on 250/219 just north of Elkins. Now updated to take you on old 250 (reduced mileage by a few miles.

Green had a larger short-cut two short-cuts in the route. They might have been just fine but since I've not been on those two little roads, I removed the short-cuts.

I apologize to all and can now assrt the routes are probably just fine! Probably! :dopeslap::eek:

I'll send to you David so you can repost.

Thanks to Jim for catching these errors.

I sent David new map graphics (updated) that are shown by themselves (not overlapping other routes. Perhaps he can post thos with the updated directions.

Again, sorry to make you all download twice.

Thanks to everyone for jumping in.

Alrighty. All the above links have been updated with new files. If you've already downloaded the old files, just click on the link again and replace your old copy of the file.

The printouts have been updated with the png map graphics and the directions have been updated for the route corrections.

For those that don't want to go searching through the previous posts, here is what we've got.

RCR_Routes.gdb

RCR_WPTs_POIs.gdb

RCR_Routes_printouts.zip

David

Thanks, David. :thumbsup::clap:

MapSource is an imperfect product after all (yeah, that's the ticket ... it was the MapSource!) ;)

That's what happens when you finally send them to a QA guy but don't give him enough time to perform that quality check.

Oh, wait.... Craig is a QA guy too. :dopeslap:

At least he and I know that we are NEVER given enough time to verify things before shipping them to production. And I'm sure the rest of you have never had that happen either. :lurk:

See everyone in at the bar on Friday!

Jim

Besides, one really can't be expected to QC his own work, right? Thanks for backin' me up.

See everyone soon!

markgoodrich

So you are telling us that you will appreciate the weather once you get here (low-mid 80's during the day and down into the 50's at night)

Mid-80s!!! We'll FREEZE!!!!! Today was much better, only up into the high 90s for a few hours, plus there were several stretches of back roads where I actually got to lean the bike over a little bit...loaded down as we are, it was sort of like riding a spirited hippo in the twisty parts.

I am happy to report that people in Tennessee LOVE their riding mowers.

We've still got 500 miles to cover; we may break it up and not arrive until Friday, as the route we planned is all twists, all the time, from here on, plus SWMBO has a cousin in Huntingdon, WV she'd like to visit. So, Thurs or Fri, we'll be there, tired but happy. And from what I can divine from the weather websites, damp at the least.

Looking forward to meeting all you folks.

Whoo Hoo! I'm headed out...gonna play in the twisties a little on the way up, but hoping to see everyone around dinner time. I'll be the guy on the yellow bike. :clap:

David

Y'all have a great time.

So very much wish my schedule allowed for more than a trip to Jax on Saturday.

Best wishes.

Post pics...

Archived