IGNORED

Come Ridin

OoPEZoO

Lone_RT_rider
You guys are gonna have sooo much fun. I'm way jealous!

We'll make up for it the weekend of July 11th my friend.

*insert super secret handshake here*

markgoodrich

Do any of you know of a BMW rental facility within a day's ride of the resort? Near an airport? It's 1400 miles from Austin to WV; it's not the ride, it's the heat. The AC on my RT is broken.

http://www.eagleriderdc.com/

Apparently these guys rent a 12GS, which would be a blast (though I'm thinking they might not allow off-road riding).

FYI: Chantilly VA is located right by Dulles Airport so getting to it is a cinch. More importantly, it's on the west side of DC, which means you won't be fighting traffic jams to clear the metro area. In only a few miles you can be on your way to the mountains (the first of which is about an hour west. The event at Canaan Valley Resort is well under 4 hours by some rather fun roads.

I'll check to see if there are others in the region.

We'd love to see you there!

markgoodrich
http://www.eagleriderdc.com/

Apparently these guys rent a 12GS, which would be a blast (though I'm thinking they might not allow off-road riding).

FYI: Chantilly VA is located right by Dulles Airport so getting to it is a cinch. More importantly, it's on the west side of DC, which means you won't be fighting traffic jams to clear the metro area. In only a few miles you can be on your way to the mountains (the first of which is about an hour west. The event at Canaan Valley Resort is well under 4 hours by some rather fun roads.

I'll check to see if there are others in the region.

We'd love to see you there!

Thanks, Craig, I did the math while I was out riding my bicycle (it's only a hundred today) for a couple of hours, and it doesn't make sense to fly/rent; too expensive. I'd buy a trailer, but my Camry Hybrid is verboten wif der trailerink.

Too bad. We'd love to have you join us.

:cry:

But if you should get the itch to ride where it's not 100 degrees and actually comfortable in the evening by most anyone's definition, by all means ...

take some time off work ...

put on an evaporative vest ...

stop your danged whinin' ...

and get the HECK OVER TO RWF IN CANAAN VALLEY ...

AND COME HAVE FUN! :mad::P:rofl:

markgoodrich
Too bad. We'd love to have you join us.

:cry:

But if you should get the itch to ride where it's not 100 degrees and actually comfortable in the evening by most anyone's definition, by all means ...

take some time off work ...

put on an evaporative vest ...

stop your danged whinin' ...

and get the HECK OVER TO RWF IN CANAAN VALLEY ...

AND COME HAVE FUN! :mad::P:rofl:

Okay, we're thinking hard, and have some questions (it'd be me'n SWMBO).

After the weekend, we'll want to extend the trip to include some DAY hiking on the Appalachian Trail. We're typically good for 12-15 miles; our 60-year-old knees begin to whine at longer distances. So: anyone familiar with the AT who could offer guidance on a base (town with motel) between, say, the resort and I-40 would offer access to two or three good sections of the trail? By base I mean within 50-100 miles of 2-3 good trailheads.

Thanks.

Just called the resort and they said that they're booked... Anyplace nearby to pitch a tent?

Not sure but I just went on their web reservations and it let me go right up until booking the room (I already have a room so I didn't proceed). Maybe they're keeping some open for online booking.

Just called the resort and they said that they're booked... Anyplace nearby to pitch a tent?

Not sure but I just went on their web reservations and it let me go right up until booking the room (I already have a room so I didn't proceed). Maybe they're keeping some open for online booking.

I'M IN!! :thumbsup: I just got off the phone with Theresa at Canaan Valley. Evidently, the woman I spoke to this morning, Norma, had our group confused with a bigger BMW rally in July. :S Theresa tells me that there are PLENTY OF ROOMS available for the 26-28 June event...

... have some questions (it'd be me'n SWMBO).

After the weekend, we'll want to extend the trip to include some DAY hiking on the Appalachian Trail. We're typically good for 12-15 miles; our 60-year-old knees begin to whine at longer distances. So: anyone familiar with the AT who could offer guidance on a base (town with motel) between, say, the resort and I-40 would offer access to two or three good sections of the trail? By base I mean within 50-100 miles of 2-3 good trailheads.

The AT goes right thru length of Shenandoah National Park as does Skyline Drive. Shenandoah NP is very pretty area and has some excellent hiking besides the AT itself - numerous day hikes. I recommend a visit there if you want to hike. Everything is very accessible via Skyline Drive. Skyline Drive itself is a very pleasant ride as long as you aren't looking to wick it up any. The speed limit is fairly regularly enforced 35 mph (more heavily on weekends when Winnebego's and gawkers can flat out ruin the ride).

As for lodging in the park there are many camping areas as well as some cabins at the park, but they tend to reserve out early because and at over 3000ft elevation, it is much cooler up there. There are mumerous places to stay down in the Shenandoah Valley, which is immediately west of the park. The Valley is about 50 miles east of Canaan Valley Resort (via some fun and/or scenic roads) while the 3 closest entrances to Skyline Drive are about 100 miles from Canaan Valley Resort.

All that said, if you want to to hike some really remote, very unique landscapes you might really enjoy Dolly Sods, which Canaan Valley is actually part of. It's not the AT but it is spectacularly unique. Do some web searches and see what you can dig up. Access is not far from Canaan Valley Resort, however you'll almost certainly have to hit some gravel roads to hit the trail heads.

It is doable is you are good at negotiating your way on gravel. If not, the after the event, head on over to Shenandoah. I can make many recommendations as to good hike in Shenandoah. I've hiked a great deal over there, though mostly a long while ago.

I didn't see this on ltJohn's post of places to visit on page 12 so I thought I'd put it out here (sorry if I missed it John).

If you've never visited the area before there's a wonderful destination that's less than 20 miles from Canaan that shouldn't be missed. Blackwater Falls State Park straddles the Blackwater canyon and offers some great views. A little way into the park you can stop and hike down to the falls themselves. I will emphasize this is an EASY hike with lots of wooden steps where the slope is steep.

A little further in from the falls is the canyon overlook from the north rim. This offers parking right by the overlook so there's almost no walking. There's numerous other hiking trails in the park as well. Again if you're here for the first time it would be a shame to miss this since it's so close. See you all there.

http://www.blackwaterfalls.com/

Obligatory Disclaimer: Other than being a fan, I am in no way affiliated with the State of West Virginia.

I am heading home on Sunday. I am thinking of getting up around 7am and heading out around 7:30am. need some great roads to ride between Canaan valley and Wytheville, VA. I am going to ride all back roads (assuming there are enough) from Canaan Valley to Wytheville, VA then jump on I-77 to Charlotte, then I-85 back home.

If you have any road suggestions, or even a mapsource or street and trips file, you can post your suggestions here or look in my profile and send me a file, thanks

also if anyone is going up from Atlanta area, I am leaving Atlanta around 3pm on thursday June 25. My plan is to make it to somewhere between Bristol, Tn and wytheville, VA that night. Then leave friday morning and get to Canaan Valley around 5pm +- 1 hour. If anyone is riding an intersecting route, let me know and we can meet up.

As a suggestion, if you can swing over to Boone on your way up, go through Mountain City to Shady Valley and then Bristol. Shady Valley has ambitions of becoming the next "Dragon", with lots of curves, less law enforcement harassment. It sits at the crossroads of two good roads with fun in all directions. Also a good side trip on the way to Johnson City for the MOA rally.

I didn't see this on ltJohn's post of places to visit on page 12 so I thought I'd put it out here (sorry if I missed it John).

http://www.blackwaterfalls.com/

Obligatory Disclaimer: Other than being a fan, I am in no way affiliated with the State of West Virginia.

I missed that one. Thanks for adding it to the list.

I have been on 321 out of Boone over to Watauga Lake. But not from boone, up to Mountain city. I will take a look at that.

As a suggestion, if you can swing over to Boone on your way up, go through Mountain City to Shady Valley and then Bristol. Shady Valley has ambitions of becoming the next "Dragon", with lots of curves, less law enforcement harassment. It sits at the crossroads of two good roads with fun in all directions. Also a good side trip on the way to Johnson City for the MOA rally.

Randy ... Ed and I hit US 421 ("The Snake") last fall riding home from BRR. It definitely IS a very fun road. We saw one LEO who had someone pulled over but did so beyond the really twisty stuff (not right in the middle of it like on the Dragon). There were one or two hairpins with a serious amount of gravel in them unlike WV, where there's lots of gravel lying about in many twisties. (Always remember to be ready to pick out a tire path in WV twisties!)

markgoodrich

A'ight markgoodrich and SWMBO are IN! We're set to arrive Thursday the 25th, so we'll be ready to ride all day Friday if others are around.

The incredibly helpful Teresa at the lodge suggested we check out wvmountainrider.com for all sorts of motorcycle-related WV stuff.

Whee, road treep!

Oh boy, I really wanted to be there in WV, however....

work has thrown a monkey wrench into the system...

Sorry folks...I'm out. :mad:

fluid change, filter change, brake bleed, and new tires this weekend. Leave next Thursday at 3pm, hope to be in Canaan Valley around 5pm Friday.

fluid change, filter change, brake bleed, and new tires this weekend. Leave next Thursday at 3pm, hope to be in Canaan Valley around 5pm Friday.

I left my front wheel sitting on my tire changer last night waiting for new wheel bearings (that are currently in the freezer) and some new rubber that should be delivered this afternoon. :thumbsup:

New Avons this past Monday and new brake pads should show up sometime today.

Just need a wash and wax. (Me, not the bike. We've had enough rain. :grin: )

Well I've got a set of RoadSmarts scheduled for delivery tomorrow. May have to change the name of this thing to the "Rubber Roundezvous". :rofl:

I know the whole thing is free form but do we want to try to all get together Friday sometime? Like maybe late afternoon (around cocktail time :grin:) in the parking lot by the bikes??

Just need a wash and wax. (Me, not the bike...

I think I just threw up a little bit and David planning his wax...

The horrors

The horrors...

Yeah, I'm still jealous. What of it? :wave:

Well I've got a set of RoadSmarts scheduled for delivery tomorrow. May have to change the name of this thing to the "Rubber Roundezvous". :rofl:

I know the whole thing is free form but do we want to try to all get together Friday sometime? Like maybe late afternoon (around cocktail time :grin:) in the parking lot by the bikes??

Well, add my name to the list of those with new rubbers. I'm gonna give the PR2s a try this time.

Good points, Al. First off, one of the names we long contemplated was the Rubber Chicken Rendezvous (in honor of someone's rubber chicken fetish). Given all the new rubber, perhaps we should reconsider.

On a more serious note, getting together Friday late afternoon for libations sounds good to me. Here are what I see as our options:

1. CVR Lounge. Very comfortable, fairly well stocked bar, but not dirt cheap. And we can't bring our own alcohol into the lounge (which is understandable). Quite a few people (25-30) can sit in the lounge between the bar and the cocktail tables. I have seen them open the adjacent meeting/conference room up if there are lots of people AND no one is holding an event in it.

2. Drink on premesis. While not officially allowed, they turn a blind eye as long as we remain discreet (i.e., no bottle, cans, etc). However, the nearest liquors store is about 3 miles from the hotel, so you must plan accordingly.

3. We could head up to Davis or Thomas to one of the breweries. The one in Davis serves decent food. I don't know about the one in Thomas. But then there's the whole drinking and driving aspect, so eventually we'll probably be back to doing either 1 or 2 above anyway ... and most likely both!

I'm good with going to the lounge, escaping for a while to get food at the restaurant (before 9:00 when the kitchen staff all turn into pumpkins), and then playing the remainder by ear. But if everyone else wants to just hang out outside, I'll do that, too.

So, what do we say? 5:30 in the lounge on Friday? Any takers?

I am in for Saturday - maybe Friday as well... does anyone need a roomate?

thanks, Dan

cell 704-661-9105

e-mail d_kitzes@yahoo.com

markgoodrich

RE Friday evening in the lounge, Craig: we'll be there, SWMBO and I.

Question: I might need to replace my front tire before we head home. Can anyone recommend a tire dealer in the area? I've only got about 3800 miles on the front, but depending on how many back roads we take on the way, and how much riding we do during the weekend....

Oh boy, I really wanted to be there in WV, however....

work has thrown a monkey wrench into the system...

Sorry folks...I'm out. :mad:

Bummer! Would love for you to have been there. See you at BRR, then.
RE Friday evening in the lounge, Craig: we'll be there, SWMBO and I.

Question: I might need to replace my front tire before we head home. Can anyone recommend a tire dealer in the area? I've only got about 3800 miles on the front, but depending on how many back roads we take on the way, and how much riding we do during the weekend....

One BMW dealer is a couple hours east of Shenandoah in Fredericksburg and the other is in Lynchburg. I'm sure there are probably many other m/c dealers much closer that could help. That's take some research. Perhaps someone else can help out more quickly.

+ eleventy on the RCR. I have officially named my route in the zumo as such.

So let it be written, so let it be done.

Oh, see ya in the lounge at 5:30.

David

Not to jinx it, but the 10 day forecast shows partly cloudy skies (no rain) with high temperatures in the upper 70's.

Priceless!

The "Rubber Chicken Rondezvous", HA, I love it. :rofl:

It was certainly discussed. I just didn't want to give it the feeling that it was MY event. Because it most definitely is not. It is a concentrated group effort with a lot of work put in by quite a few people. OTOH, it has a better ring than the current title. Doesn't matter to me.......I'll leave that decision up to Craig and John.

See ya all at the lounge......hope they still have the Sam Adams Summer Ale on tap....yum :grin:

Not to jinx it, but the 10 day forecast shows partly cloudy skies (no rain) with high temperatures in the upper 70's.

Priceless!

Too late ... you already did!

BTW: Are you coming, Tom?

If this ever gets big enough to warrant a cookout, I recommend red meat only. :rofl:

It was certainly discussed. I just didn't want to give it the feeling that it was MY event. Because it most definitely is not. It is a concentrated group effort with a lot of work put in by quite a few people. OTOH, it has a better ring than the current title. Doesn't matter to me.......I'll leave that decision up to Craig and John.

See ya all at the lounge......hope they still have the Sam Adams Summer Ale on tap....yum :grin:

There's also one in Rockville, MD but it looks like all 3 are roughly 200 miles away, no matter which one you pick.

No way to change it before you leave?

I apologize if this is a silly question - but 3800 miles doesn't seem like very many. I ride pretty hard and average 12K on a set. Do you think you will need to change it that soon?

markgoodrich
There's also one in Rockville, MD but it looks like all 3 are roughly 200 miles away, no matter which one you pick.

No way to change it before you leave?

I apologize if this is a silly question - but 3800 miles doesn't seem like very many. I ride pretty hard and average 12K on a set. Do you think you will need to change it that soon?

Not a silly question at all. I had to replace my rear Roadsmart at 3800 miles; it was down to the wear bars on a section of the tire. Second RS in a row to get low mileage. I've switched to a PR2-B on the rear, but have the RS on the front, still. Am leery of the longevity of the tire, that's all. Two up, loaded for ten days-two weeks, makes a

difference.

I just measured tread depth on the center of the TWO

front Roadsmarts I have...one on the bike, the other a take-off from before an earlier trip. Both, in the center, have about .10 inch of tread. Sides are fine. Both have about 4,000 miles on them. We'll be okay; being retired with no deadlines helps a lot.

5:30? What time do they open. :grin:

Archived