IGNORED

Cross Country Pied Piper Run... Is it too late???

SageRider

Barnone, put Jean and I down for couple if available? If not we will light at a motel nearby.

P.S. If there is a local BMW dealer nearby, I'm sure Jean will be ready to sell the GS by then.

Here are the routes Paul has sent me to post:

Note: Three options on this map. The second option through Denbigh is the one Paul recommends.

Paul also provides this option, which he says is the most scenic, but longest.

Most Scenic

We need 3 hours to get through customs and down to Old Forge.

With Steve (BarNone) requesting a 4:00 arrival, we may want to make an early start or plan on one of the shorter routes. I think this can be decided at Paul's the night of the 7th.

All of these routes cross the border at Thousand Island Bridge and leave the same route to Old Forge:

Border to Old Forge

Hi,

Can't say much about the routes from Haliburton to the T-Island Bridge-- your call! From the Bridge to Old Forge, I have a couple of suggestions and 1 caution

First the suggestions:

If you can, avoid 81 south -- BORING!

Also, avoid Watertown -- BORING & VERY SLOW

I suggest you take 81 S only a mile or so until you reach RT 12. Go left on RT 12 toward Alexandria Bay, NY., also only a couple of miles.

Head south (right) on RT 26 and eventually you will hook up with your current routing.

Caution:

The Moose River Road is a great bike road except there is a 2-3 mile stretch where caution is warranted due to perpetual construction / gravel. I would not avoid it but you folks are likely to be tired and you be having fun with the twisties on the first part of the road -- so be careful as the construction part comes up quickly. The rumor is they will never finish it since it would be the track road for all the sport bikes.

If I can meet you, it will likely be just before you get on the Moose River Road.

Hope this helps.

Steve

Tom - you're wise beyond your years. Here I was thinking that there must be a phone number you could call enroute for crossing time. Yours is a much better idea. It's interesting to note that the next bridge in Prescott, about 40 minutes further east isn't listed. It would be the next logical crossing if there were unforeseen problems/wait times at T.I.Bridge but the trade off would be another 90 minutes of riding on what is already a long day.

Note: Three options on this map. The second option through Denbigh is the one Paul recommends.

Paul also provides this option, which he says is the most scenic, but longest.

Most Scenic

We need 3 hours to get through customs and down to Old Forge.

With Steve (BarNone) requesting a 4:00 arrival, we may want to make an early start or plan on one of the shorter routes. I think this can be decided at Paul's the night of the 7th.

All of these routes cross the border at Thousand Island Bridge and leave the same route to Old Forge:

Border to Old Forge

Not knowing the area, I'll bow to those who do, just let me know so I can build it up in MapSource! My only comment would be it looks like to make Steve & Kelly's by 4 PM we'd all have to have cleared customs (which will take how may hours?) by noon, yes? Which it seems to me means we'll have to ratch it up a bit some time before that. Given gas, food stops and all. My range 2-up loaded is about 350 km / 220 miles.

Yeah, 4 is gonna be tough. The route Steve gives us through NY is longer too. At least according to Google.

Hi Ken - well we have made arrangements for an intransit tanker to accompany the lower range bikes so that you can refuel on-the-fly. You'll just have to get one of those nozzles off a jet fighter that will allow the fuel transfer. Hope you don't have a tank bag. :grin:

Actually, that's why I've mentioned the various routes. If you plug the start/destination into google it will of course suggest the fastest route first. In the case of Minden to the bridge google first routes you directly south on hwy 35 (gentle curves at first then long straights) to hwy 401 (divided 4 lane) for a two hr. romp of teedium on that slab but the fastest overall run to the border. If you use Haliburton as the start point (we live half way between the two towns) then the fastest route puts you on the 401 an hour further east which reduces the slab run by an hour but only marginally adds to the total run time the upside being a more interesting ride both road and scenery wise.

Continue to play with google by dragging the roads a bit and you'll have an appreciation of the variables. Generally, the further south you go from our latitude the flatter and straighter the roads become and the more open the terrain (the silly buggers have cut all their trees down).

Kath and I understand the groups mission is basically to get from A to B on the way to the Unrally so we are presenting options that the group will have to consider on the fly and juggle expediency with more interesting roads. With this in mind we expect a group of tired travellers to land in here at a yet to be determined time and we are prepared to be flexible to accommodate that.

We'd like to see you ride out and see some interesting roads enroute but also know that slabbing may be(come) your only alternative. I have no feel on how inclement (sorry about that) weather will affect your choice of routes.

While you're manipulating google punch in Haliburton/Bancroft/Calabogie/Perth/Gananoque for a look see. This is the run I took a couple weekends back and IF the group had more time (this is 6 hr. run time just to the border) that would be the primo way to go as far as twisties and scenery. Everything between that route and the Minden to 401 routes are variables of the two extremes (4hrs.vs 6 hrs.). While reducing run time you'll reduce "lean" time - but those are the realities. And that's all I have to say about that! :wave:

I've been told to allow at least a half hour on a Sat. in Aug. for the border crossing at the Thousand Islands Bridge.It's a relatively small facility that can be overwhelmed by seasonal rush. You'll probably do better but at least you've got a buffer and if perchance the crossing is somewhat longer you won't feel as pushed.The bonus is you'll have to look hard and long for a prettier crossing.

Any feedback/comments welcome.

Hey travelers

I have been watching this thread and want you all to know that it's better to arrive here after 4:00 PM safe and healthy rather than push yourselves too much to make a deadline. We figured you would like an early stop time and a chance to kick back once you got here.

That being said, the T-Island customs crossing should be at a low ebb at midday on Saturday as the crunch is usually on Friday and Sunday.

The route I suggested to Old Forge is a bit longer mileage wise but it should not add time since you can make good time on those roads and avoid the Watertown area -- a real bugger.

Keep us in the loop relative to your ETA.

Hi Steve - couldn't resist replying. What I think you need to do is confer with 3-putt (fabricator of the famous bike-golf club caddy) and design a bike rack to hold your kayak, ride on up a day ahead and paddle the white water reserve and then ride back with the group. You could rent a kayak here but that would take all the fun out of it - and besides, you'd liven up the day at customs.

Depending on weather of course, it's certainly within the realm of possibility for the group to comfortably get to your place by the 4-5:00 time frame. An 8 a.m. start here gives them 8-9 hrs. run time which is quite workable. Like you and your concern with Watertown we are trying to minimize their run time on the 401 but it's pretty well inevitable they'll have at least an hour exposure to that slab.

In any event, we're looking forward to meeting the group and happy to expedite their travels to make things work at your end as well.

Working on building these in MapSource... Any reason they don’t actually go to the border crossing, but end in some odd spot on Thousand Island Parkway? Or were these just intended to be approximations?

Working on building these in MapSource... Any reason they don’t actually go to the border crossing, but end in some odd spot on Thousand Island Parkway? Or were these just intended to be approximations?

Obviously a glitch somewhere. I think it'll be a lot easier crossing at the official border crossing rather than fording. :grin:

Obviously a glitch somewhere. I think it'll be a lot easier crossing at the official border crossing rather than fording. :grin:

:rofl:

I don't think Google maps recognizes the border crossing as a location. Just make it work. :)

I suggest you take 81 S only a mile or so until you reach RT 12. Go left on RT 12 toward Alexandria Bay, NY., also only a couple of miles.

Head south (right) on RT 26 and eventually you will hook up with your current routing.

Okay, got that one built too. Interestingly, by MapSource, it is 1 km shorter than the I-81 long stretch to Watertown way!

Whatever happened to looking at the map, making notes on a cupcake wrapper and shoving it in your tank bag

;)

Ken - found the same problem in google maps until I spelled out "Thousand" Islands Bridge instead of using the numerical format. Hope that works for you.

Optional Crossing?:Then again, some years back Evil Kneivel had an earth ramp built along the river near Morrisburg ON to do a river jump. He never did (wouldn't have made it) but the berm may still be there.

-'cause we quit eat'n cupcakes and the empty yogurt cups won't fit in the map case. :rofl:

Hi Kathy - GREAT to hear you're riding again!

Whatever happened to looking at the map, making notes on a cupcake wrapper and shoving it in your tank bag

;)

Hey it wouldn’t be a vacation unless it was pre-choreographed down to the hour by hour, mile by mile level! Haven’t you ever watched National Lampoon’s European Vacation? "Common kids, we’ve got a schedule to keep here!"

;)

Hey it wouldn’t be a vacation unless it was pre-choreographed down to the hour by hour, mile by mile level! Haven’t you ever watched National Lampoon’s European Vacation? "Common kids, we’ve got a schedule to keep here!"

So, where exactly do the worlds largest ball of string and house of mud fall into your plan? :grin:

;)

So, where exactly do the worlds largest ball of string and house of mud fall into your plan? :grin:

Hee, hee!

But to Kathy’s point a bit, Donna and I are both really bad for planning to death most everything. We’re not very good at spontaneity. (Unless we had planned to be spontaneous.) One of my sisters was really quite applaud when we recently made a comment that we are already well into our summer 2011 planning. Must be a neurosis of some sort or something!

Optional Crossing?:Then again, some years back Evil Kneivel had an earth ramp built along the river near Morrisburg ON to do a river jump. He never did (wouldn't have made it) but the berm may still be there.

Yeah but E.K. didn’t have a supper-dupper BMW R1200GS! All 95 horses of it.

On second thought...

I'm too flippant. Cripes, the first real ride I ever took (on my Sporster)....I practiced by riding 300 mile days a month in advance. Actually, it's true, the trip starts once you start planning.

This UN is the shortest trip I've ever taken.

(Thank God I moved from Chicago to NY :grin: )

Getting excited now! Kelly and I are looking forward to hosting the folks staying with us in Old Forge, NY on August 8.

For those wanting to map the route, our address here is 209 Cold Spring Road, Old Forge, NY 13420. If you tell me where you plan to spend the evening of the 7th, I can suggest some good back roads to get here. Our phone number at the lake is 315-369-3902. Cell phone service is a bit sketchy here in the mountains but in case you need it, my cell is 315-427-6096.

We are planning a cookout for all and the "Boss" has asked that you try to arrive by 4 -- earlier is better, especially if you want to swim, boat, kayak, etc.

I have worked out a route from here to UN headquarters in Lancaster and will ask Paul (SAMSAR) to post it for downloading to your GPS'.

See y'all soon.

Steve

Steve has asked me to post his 3 best routes for getting from the lake house to UN HQ. Several of us have been on these roads before, and you really can't go wrong with any of them. I'm wishing I could join you all for the ride in!!!

Route 1 (233 miles – 6.5 hours riding time) is the shortest and a more northerly route. It goes east through the beautiful Adirondack Park and crosses Lake Champlain into Vermont . Then a great run by the Mad River Glen ski resort and up to Montpelier where you follow a very nice Rt 2 all the way to Lancaster.

Route 2 (281 miles – 6.4 hours riding time) is the longest and a more southerly route. Again you go east through the Adirondacks all the way to the base of Lake George where you pick up a beautiful Rt 4 and take that all the way to I-91 then north along the Connecticut River where you get back on more twisty road and go through Franconia notch on your way to Lancaster. As an option you can stay on I-91 to Rt 2 and shave off about 40 minutes riding time.

Route 3 (260 miles – 7.6 hours riding time) is the most twisty road of the bunch. After spending a couple hours on the Adirondack curves, you come to Fort Ticonderoga and cross a small ferry (15 minutes) at the base of Lake Champlain into Vermont. Then you are on another round of twisty backroads thru the Green Mountain National Forest and then beyond for like forever. You will make up time here because you won’t be able to help yourself.

Here are the routes in Garmin MapSource format for those with GPS's.

Like I said… IMO, you’ve got three routes that are all great. It’s just a matter of what you are in the mood for that day.

Paul

For the pied piper north group: you might be interested to read an entry in a family's blog. They are on a world cruise and are presently cruising the North Channel in Lake Huron. Bud is quite familiar with this area as he has sailed / vacationed in these waters. While the description is from the vantage point of the water it'll introduce you to the area that you will be biking through between the Sault and Parry Sound. See -threeatsea.com to read North Channel Adventure.

That's great news Dave. Now at least you won't have to snorkle the bikes to get back across the river. We're looking forward to meeting both you and Jean.

Were you able to get a room at Minden Motel? Oh, and what's the difference between a passport book and card - is the card the enhanced driver's license?

LOST on my LT

I can host in SW Cleveland. Gonna ride up to Long Island, NY on August 6 to see my sister and then on the the rally site on Friday. I believe that she can host a couple of wayward riders thursday night as well.

LOST on my LT

I can host in Cleveland. Plenty of couch and floor space. I plan on leaving Cleveland on Thurs. Aug. 6 and staying the night at my sister's in Long Island, NY. Then head up to the rally point on Fri. I believe that she can host a few people as well on Thurs.

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday my mother-in-law, Donna’ mom, died at a clinic in Mexico where she had gone for alternative treatment for acute advanced leukemia. Plans for a cremation there, their return (Donna’s dad and a sister where there also) and then a celebration of life in Alberta are up in the air, but this will almost certainly interfere with our planned departure from Edmonton on Aug 4 to join the PPR, and possibly our attendance at the UN itself.

I’ll post what we cancel to free up room for others.

Sorry to hear that Ken. That's hard news.

Please accept our condolences.

Was really looking forward to meeting up with you guys as planned.

Hope to still meet up to some extent. All ears.

Best wishes as you move forward.

Les is more

I'm very sorry and hope that you'll do whatever Donna sees as the right thing for her to handle her loss. Please extend our most loving wishes.

Our sympathies to you both. Sorry to hear of your loss and we will keep you in our thoughts and prayers as you go thru this difficult time.

Take care of each other.

Sorry to hear about yours and Donna's loss. It's reassuring to know you are with each other through this time. Take care.

Paul (and Kath)

I have a Garmin GPS .gdb file with the Pied Piper routes as well as SAMSAR's Unroutes on it for any interested participants.

Please send me a PM with your email address if interested.

Hi Michael - well, yours is a timely post. I knew you were travelling w/laptop (I think you asked for provisions to recharge it or your gps) so was about to contact you about routes and whether or not you'd be posting enroute progress reports. I'm not sure when the group is starting out, where they are stopping apart from Duluth and S.S.Marie ON.

While not attending the UNrally I'd be interested in the routes you've plugged into your gps for the complete trip. I'm not sure how to deal with them once received (ie. are they viewable once received on my computer or do they have to be transferred to my gps?) but will cross that bridge if you'd be kind enough to forward them to me at: sweeney.dillon@sympatico.ca

Also, I thought it prudent to provide some phone numbers for your portable database in case you/the group needs to reach us enroute.

Paul and Kath at home & home office 705-286-4596

Paul's cell # 705-457-5442

both numbers have answering machines which we'll check frequently.

Regards

Paul (and Kath)

Again a reminder that with some notice I can provide a waypoint in Oakville (west of Toronto)

We can accomodate overnight sleeping bags and a garage for shelter or minor repairs

There is also a Dealer within 15 minutes

PS - I will not be able to go to the Rally. Was to be my first

Jim - you could ride up to Haliburton and greet the XC pied piper riders here Fri. then ride out partway with the group Sat. before returning to Oakville (or staying here to brush up on your golf :))

Jim - you could ride up to Haliburton and greet the XC pied piper riders here Fri. then ride out partway with the group Sat. before returning to Oakville (or staying here to brush up on your golf :))

I will see if I can swing that, will let you know !

Just curious to know who/where are each of the Pied Piper runs starting from?

What day are each of you starting out?

I'd be interested to see each of the Garmin routes too! plsoucy@gmail.com

Cheers!

Paul

Paul,

Les, Jamie and Michael are meeting Sharon and I here in SLC this Saturday. Bob (hopz) will ride out with us in the morning Sunday, but then head home. We go on to Jackson WY, Red Lodge MT, and Detroit Lakes, MN. Jean and David meet us there, coming up from LA. Tom meets us the next day in Duluth. We were to meet Ken and Donna the following night in Sault Ste Marie, ON. Then on to Paul and Kath's in Minden, ON, finally to Steve and Kelly's in Old Forge. Arrive UN Sunday.

Anyone else interested in joining up?

Routes sent.

Archived