IGNORED

Cross Country Pied Piper Run... Is it too late???

SageRider

My uncle hasn't decided if we're doing Cinque Terre in April or Bath England in August.

[hijack] My vote is the Cinque Terre, I can fill the next few months of the "Monday sucks" thread with photos from there in October. Wish I could afford to go back next year. [/hijack]

Mike Cassidy

Jan, Michael et al:

I've been following the discussion, but can't make any commitments. Although I have the week off for the UNrally and plan on attending, the logistics will be interesting. I usually (like most of the last 15 years) go hiking in the Canadian Rockies the first week of August with the same group of people. Which means I have to get from Calgary, AB to Lancaster, NH in about 48 hrs (about 4500 km). The plan right now is to "stage" the bike in Ontario (with family) or the Atlanta area in July and then fly in and pick it up on Sunday to get to NH Monday or Tuesday.

I won't know about the hiking thing until late January or early Februaury so will keep following updates. See you in Torrey in May next year, though :grin:

Michael Cassidy

Option 3

More direct route. Assumes a host in Chicago. I would have run this up through Devils Tower, Mt. Rushmore, but for Sturgis. Six days. The last two days are light and allow for playing around in the NY/NH area on the approach. The route from Rochester, NY through Saranac Lake is just a placeholder as I'm assuming we'd get some local advice to fill it in with.

Rochester, NY? My home town! :thumbsup:

Jan -

No worries - I wasn't sure you'd seen my comment in the other thread. Yes, leave me on the list as possible stops.

...honey, guess who's coming to dinner? Jamie & Leslie and about 50 of their closest friends! ;-)

Jim

I can't sleep! I can't imagine a better group of people to travel with but I can't commit at this time. My uncle hasn't decided if we're doing Cinque Terre in April or Bath England in August. I just hope if the Un's in my future there will be a place to pound my ear.

Wade,

Let us know if you need a few pictures to support your argument for Cinque Terre.

• 1 month later...

Updated PP Compromise Route

Just keeping the PP idea alive and well, and been thinking.

Here is an updated PP idea that I think offers a nice compromise for those coming from the Western US. This route includes three days of very nice riding, and one of pretty good riding out of 7, and includes four hosted PP stops, including the very highly popular Bud and Nancy's Place. It offers a great opportunity for the southern and mid-western riders to join in and merge with us (Yes Ken_H, we'd let you drop down and join us too).

Although the route does not include Tetons/Yellowstone/Beartooth, Glacier or Japser/Banff it does offer two days of very good riding in Utah/Colorado. There is also a very nice short section on NV722 on the rather nice US-50 route. At the end we pick up another nice day on the way into Lancaster.

I think this is the best compromise between those that would like to emphasize the social aspects of the PP and hosted stops, and those that would like find some serious riding along the way.

Hosted stops are Sagerider's, Minden, NV; our place (and hopz too) SLC; Bud's, 5 miles south of Nashville, Ill; and RT_Jim's, Columbus, OH. Hotel stops are Craig, CO; Colby, KS; and Old Forge, NY.

Options for this route: We could add a day in CO if people want to go into RMNP. We could drop a day in UT/CO if people prefer less play. We could drop a day coming into Lancaster if people prefer less play. We could add a down day for maintenance in Columbus (2 dealers there, maybe one would hold some spots open for us if we reserve in advance, also we have an offer of garage use there). Folks are welcome to arrive in SLC early for a day or two of riding the local mountains, or maintenance.

The route for the last day is still subject to update as we get more ideas from the locals.

Your thoughts people?

(Yes Ken_H, we'd let you drop down and join us too).

Of course we haven’t firmed up our plans yet either, after all, August is still a little ways off!

But I’ve sort of got it in my head something about a second PPR, call it “PP N49th” or some other silly name. Something along the lines of Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Saskatoon, Winnipeg, Thunder Bay, North Bay, Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal, Lancaster.

After the UN we’re going to go home westbound via a midwest US route to swing by Iowa where my mother & a brother lives, so we’d likely go eastbound via a Canada side route.

But maybe that won't gell and we'll go south and join up with the PP Run there instead. Who knows?

Jan,

Looks good!

Maybe avoid I70, bypassing Denver, Topeka, Kansas City, & St. Louis??? US34 / US36???

I guess to me it depends what it would do for the quality of the riding. According to Google Maps something like that is going to add nearly a day (5 to 6 hours of riding), enough that in practice it will be a day. If we can pick up some interesting roads I'd be all for it. If its rural straight lines with lower speed limits vs interstate, I'd probably prefer interstate myself, saving time for more interesting areas.

However, that said, I've never ridden in the area. Can some of the midwest locals help us out here? What are the riding highlights on a route from Ft. Collins, CO to Nashville, Ill? How would you go and why?

...something like that is going to add nearly a day (5 to 6 hours of riding), enough that in practice it will be a day.

My main concern is avoiding the congestion and inevitable delays caused by heavy traffic in the major cities.

and (IMO) even the most boring field is prettier than any of those major cities as seen from the Interstate...

At a minimum, a bypass of Denver would be easy, picking up I70 just to the East. (US34 to SR71)

Topeka / KC

Lets see if we can get any locals to contribute first...

I'll start a midwest suggestions thread. The locals might not be looking in the PP thread.

I agree with Sagerider, would like to miss Denver also. We hit Denver from the North on way home from John Day, heavy traffic and required top level concentration for long period.

There was one dude in a huge pickup (dodge I believe) crowding me at triple digits, reckon he was bored.

I agree with Sagerider, would like to miss Denver also. We hit Denver from the North on way home from John Day, heavy traffic and required top level concentration for long period.

There was one dude in a huge pickup (dodge I believe) crowding me at triple digits, reckon he was bored.

You're coming west then, before you go east?

I was going to modify that but you caught me. I would love to start in SLC, especially if we ran back north through Yellowstone or that area, but most likely meet you guys north of Louisiana someplace depending on last minute planning.

We will have to sit down and see how many days Jean can be off.

Jan, and others.

Casa Hopz (Bob and Susie) is located at N 40 degrees 47.031, W 111 degrees 43.863.

This is very near I-80 for an Eastbound departure from the SLC area. Jan's place is easy also.

We have 3 bedrooms available and several good floor spots plus good camping area. (Note: the three feet of snow that is out there at the moment may be gone by August...) Garage for maintenance.

I vote to avoid Denver and for that matter any large metro area unless we are hitting it during an off rush hour.

It might also be good to gather information on areas (counties/states) that are engaged in heightened enforcement activity. I can attest that Eastern rural Colorado is one such place.

I would appreciate hearing or developing a conversation on the PP group riding style. For instance some may want to just go-go-go while others may want to be in a group that stops to see things like the Wall Drug Store, or the World's Largest Ball of String. I suppose some group chat about things like that would make it more comfortable for everyone. We could even make a list of the things we need to see, or to avoid. Local knowledge would be a great help.

When I was being a Road Captain for a large riding group we had the acknowledged "Fast Group" and the "stop and smell the roses groups". It just made it better for all.

FWIW, like Jan said... I would rather do interstate than pick my way along on back roads, especially if they add hours to the trip. I do not have any recent experience in the congested East of the country but I do recall it having a large potential for being a PITA. Local knowledge is essential here.

I know it is still a long way off but do people pack for camping or basically plan to stay at motels?

Any thoughts about return rides/routes?

OK -- checked with wife and got a green light. Those passing through the Adirondacks from the West are welcome to stop and stay the night -- we plan on heading for Lancaster on Sunday, the 9th. It's 5-6 hours to Lancaster from our place.

We have sleeping room in real beds for 12 people -- a couple of more if you squeeze in a bit. If you are campers, we have room for tents too. If you are couples, one of the beds is a queen size and we have a pullout couch too. The rest are single beds / bunk beds.

I propose we have a first come / first served reservations system stopping at 10 people to see what kind of gender / couple combinations shake out.

I guess Twisties is the coordinator of the cross country travelers so I'll stay in the background for now.

I guess Twisties is the coordinator of the cross country travelers so I'll stay in the background for now.

Not at all. I'm just trying to keep things moving. Totally a group effort. Everyone should contribute whatever is on their minds. I think we're still in the "Lets see what shakes out" mode, and I don't have the idea the that I've heard any kind of consensus for whatever I've proposed. I just see some value in tossing out some relatively complete options here and there.

OK -- checked with wife and got a green light. Those passing through the Adirondacks from the West are welcome to stop and stay the night -- we plan on heading for Lancaster on Sunday, the 9th. It's 5-6 hours to Lancaster from our place.

We have sleeping room in real beds for 12 people -- a couple of more if you squeeze in a bit. If you are campers, we have room for tents too. If you are couples, one of the beds is a queen size and we have a pullout couch too. The rest are single beds / bunk beds.

I propose we have a first come / first served reservations system stopping at 10 people to see what kind of gender / couple combinations shake out.

Ok, the host offers map is updated with your info. Thanks for the offer.

I think Sharon (Bullett) and I would like to put in bed requests. We are a couple, but separate beds are just fine.

Jan, I like the way your route is shaping up. I see you have suggested the Mirror Lake Highway then a run down to Flaming Gorge then to Vernal. May I throw in that a run over Wolf Creek Pass would let us out at Duchesne and then Vernal is just a short run. That is a fun ride, as you know so well, and would probably be two or more hours saved.

The leg from I-80 through Bridger to Flaming Gorge is torture in length and heat. I go that way to fish Green River and it seems as if it takes forever.

Of course we could always put it on the table when the group passes through. Even make two groups and have a place in mind to meet up at the end of the day.

Just a thought.

I for one have been monitoring this thread with much interest and appreciation for those who have been suggesting and developing PP routes and to those offering a night of shelter. Until now, I haven't had an opportunity for cross country travel by cage let alone by moto. I think this experience, especially shared with forum buds will be an unforgettable adventure!

Early in this, I asked about PP protocol and I believe it was Michael (SageRider) who replied about packing a lightweight sleeping bag plus towel and wash cloth when invited into a host home. It seems to me that even if a host has sleeping accommodations with beds for multiple people, out of courtesy we would use those sleeping bags without use of host bedding to minimize laundering and clean up after the PP leaves. Does this make sense?

Jeff

Jan, I like the way your route is shaping up. I see you have suggested the Mirror Lake Highway then a run down to Flaming Gorge then to Vernal. May I throw in that a run over Wolf Creek Pass would let us out at Duchesne and then Vernal is just a short run. That is a fun ride, as you know so well, and would probably be two or more hours saved.

The general idea was to get about 1 1/2 to 2 days of nice Rockies riding into the mix, and then make time across the plains. We can go WCP if people prefer. I was trying to include the stretch from Manilla to Vernal. I've only been over it once, but I thought it was truly first class.

On the other hand, I've done SLC to Paonia via WCP, Douglas Pass, Grand Mesa in a day and that too is a spectacular day of riding.

I like the higher speed limits, abundance of passing zones, higher elevations, and more spectacular views on Mirror Lake vs WCP, but I would agree that if you don't mind doing 60-90 in a 40 zone, WCP is a better ride. I haven't ever seen a LEO up there.

I really just put the LATEST ROUTE SUGGESTION in to see if folks generally like the overall approach, rather than an exact route. My concern being that there is a group (I get PM's from them) that really wants to emphasize riding, Teton/Yellowstone/Beartooth and points north, and others who really want to make stops at Bud's and others. These goals are incompatible in a reasonably short venture. We haven't really heard from any of these folks yet on that compromise proposal. The Big Question as I see it: Will a couple of days in UT/CO do, or is a north route really needed? Jamie and Leslie, Mark (MBElectric), Wade (Kitsap), Joe (Coarsegold Kid) are some of who I'd like to hear from.

So, I'm thinking now we need to go back and approach this differently. I think the first thing needs to be a list of who thinks they would like to be IN. Then a schedule, at least when to leave from CA and when to arrive in Lancaster (the 9th I think is looking like it is settling in). Then we can get back to routes. For instance if people are up for leaving CA on the 1st, a Saturday BTW, we would know we could allow more time in the schedule.

So lets start with a list, People who are IN, or think they would like to do it if circumstances allow, from west to east, as best I can tell:

Michael (Sagerider)

Jamie (KMG_365)

Leslie (Les is more)

drswift (Dave)

Wade (kitsap)

Mark (mbelectric)

Jeff (Effjay)

Joe (Coarsegold Kid)

Juanita (Mrs. Coarsegold Kid)

Ken H (Ken) (Possibly a separate Canadian Route)

MikeRC (Mike)

Sharon (Bullett)

Jan (Twisties)

hopz (Bob)

Suzie (Mrs. hopz)

Tom (3Putt)

Bud (Bud)

David (dhanson)

Jean (Just Jean)

RT_Jim (Jim)

jb04rt

Jim (jimfastcar) (Possible Canadian Route)

Steve (BarNone)

ltljohn (John) (I'm thinking some east coasters might hook up with John, don't see us going that far southeast, but John could meet us somewhere along the way)

Mark (Marcopolo) (Possible Canadian Route)

Who else wants to be on the list?

I just giggle when I see my name on the list :clap:

Like Michael, I just need a place to drop a sleeping bag and pound an ear if there still is room at BarNones.

I don't expect to see the western group this far south. I will catch up with you in NH. I am keeping my place open for the riders coming up from the south. Looks like you are going to have a great time coming across the country. It's snowing today and August seems so far off, it will be here before we know it!!

Eventually we may want to develop a spreadsheet (?) with specifics on what is / is not available at various waypoints.

I for one, can offer a respite, a clean garage to effect minor repairs, and the proximity of a Dealer (10 minutes away). Also Tea,Coffee, Beer and sandwiches, etc.

Can also offer shelter for the road weary, but limited bed space. That said, large finished rec room in basement, which is very comfortable for sleeping bags and a private 2 pc bathroom.

The Rally site is roughly one day away for me, I figure 10 hrs half of which is slab. For those that want to travel the secondary roads all the way, I do not think it can be done in one day

Eventually we may want to develop a spreadsheet (?) with specifics on what is / is not available at various waypoints.

I for one, can offer a respite, a clean garage to effect minor repairs, and the proximity of a Dealer (10 minutes away). Also Tea,Coffee, Beer and sandwiches, etc.

Can also offer shelter for the road weary, but limited bed space. That said, large finished rec room in basement, which is very comfortable for sleeping bags and a private 2 pc bathroom.

The Rally site is roughly one day away for me, I figure 10 hrs half of which is slab. For those that want to travel the secondary roads all the way, I do not think it can be done in one day

Thanks Jim!

I think the main expectations for host homes are enough room for people to park within a reasonable distance, a place to lay a bedroll, and a quick shower at some point. I'm sure people will pitch in for pizza or some other food delivery, or gladly accept whatever a host has to offer. If there is a bed, it's big bonus, but not an expectation.

I'm in agreement with what Effjay said, bring a towel, a light sleeping bag, and find a spot to drop.

Love the way this is coming together!

Here is what I have so far. Let me know if I got anything wrong. I'll assume singles are male unless you tell me otherwise. Your real names would be helpful unless you are part of a witness protection program which would make an alias acceptable.

HOPZ 2 Double bed

Twisties 2 Double bed or 2 singles

Sagerider 1 Bed or floor

Bud 1 Bed or floor

Kitsap 1 Bed or floor

EffJay 1 Bed or floor

I'm "in" for a flat, quiet place to sleep, bike parking within a 1/2 mile, cold pizza,

no dogs "markin'" my sleeping bag, and a cold hose shower in the morning...

Can you accomodate? :wave:

MB>

Steve, you're going to have to put up balloons for the turn into your "road"... I remember blowing right by it as I was having too much FUN on those sweepers. Ditto for the fork. If weather looks to be inclement, I can help with party tents for bike parking.

Folks... I know Steve posted up some pictures of the lake but it's absolutely beautiful in person. I highly recommend fighting over the kayak at sunrise.

100_4835.jpg

The run into Lancaster from there will be a nice ride too.

Paul

Steve, you're going to have to put up balloons for the turn into your "road"... I remember blowing right by it as I was having too much FUN on those sweepers. Ditto for the fork. If weather looks to be inclement, I can help with party tents for bike parking.

Folks... I know Steve posted up some pictures of the lake but it's absolutely beautiful in person. I highly recommend fighting over the kayak at sunrise.

100_4835.jpg

The run into Lancaster from there will be a nice ride too.

Paul

Whoaaaaa!!! Now that's a pic. Some of my best memories are swimming, rafting and canoeing in northeastern waters. There is simply nothing like a northeastern lake. I'm at least going to get a dip in there no matter what else happens. :grin:

Jan

Yea, by August it should be up to 52 degrees... :eek:

That's why skinny dipping is socially acceptable in the NE. Everything shrivels up, becoming dysfunctional and leaving nothing to see. :rofl:

Love the way this is coming together!

Here is what I have so far. Let me know if I got anything wrong. I'll assume singles are male unless you tell me otherwise. Your real names would be helpful unless you are part of a witness protection program which would make an alias acceptable.

HOPZ 2 Double bed

Twisties 2 Double bed or 2 singles

Sagerider 1 Bed or floor

Bud 1 Bed or floor

Kitsap 1 Bed or floor

EffJay 1 Bed or floor

Kitsap = Wade Taylor, middle age male, unless one of my other alter egos check in :grin:

Now wait a minute. I guarantee 72 degrees (at noon in the direct sunlight / with calm wind). Also, we have a small fleet of kayaks so no need to fight.

The balloons will be out!

And... Just to make sure I don't take any credit for that amazing pic... Here are the other shots that Steve "BarNone" has posted up of the lake house...

Steve's pics of 4th Lake near Old Forge, NY

Of course, right now, this... in the summer...

forth%20lake.jpg

Looks something like this right about now...

AbsoluteSnowmobile%20snowmobile%20viewers%206.jpg

Wish I wasn't going to be getting ready for everyone at UN HQ or I would be claiming one of the beds!

Paul

That's why skinny dipping is socially acceptable in the NE. Everything shrivels up, becoming dysfunctional and leaving nothing to see. :rofl:

Where's the "gouging out my mind's eye" emoticon....?

:wave: Hi Jan!

Archived