IGNORED

Cross Country Pied Piper Run... Is it too late???

SageRider

I've yet to meet an unfriendly Canadian.

50 over and you're apt to meet a few. Having said that we're starting to save bail money. :rofl:

North channel is serious sailing but most awesome waters. Tobermory / Gore Bay is one of our most memorable bike trips. We have a laser at the dock if you make it this way.

Paul Mihalka

Not a recommendation but just my experience - don't blame me if you get caught...

I crossed Canada a few times both on rt.1 and rt.16. It was mostly flat and straight between Winnipeg and the Canadian Rockies. It's a big country. I cruised at my comfort speed of 85 to 90 MPH. I was not stopped and did not see law enforcement. May be I was just lucky.

Bud - When in Rome... 20 km over, but remember that's not a hard and fast number.

I can only speak to Alberta, but there's no way I'd have enough guts to consistently run 20 kph over the posted limit. Been busted twice already (since we moved here last summer) in a cage. Both times for significantly less than 20 over.

I don't know if a Canada bust transfers back to a US state license (for points) or not. Kind of doubt it.

OTOH, I wonder if they would let a US licensed person go on an order to appear in the future (or plead guilty and mail in). Or they would make you go appear on the spot? Especially if you where way over.

While we’re on the subject, remember, technically you’re suppose to get a Canada specific insurance policy endorsement & insurance card before driving/riding in Canada. It’s rather commonly ignored I think, but in a stop and asked to produce proof of insurance, not having it (the Canada card) could be an issue I would suspect. Many insurance companies will issue them for 30 days or something at no charge, but you do have to arrange for it ahead of time.

What, no love for the northern route?

Ken?

:lurk:

So far nothing much from the western part of Canada for a Pied Piper run seems to be gelling. Nobody from BC has signed up, or from Saskatchewan or Manitoba. And we’re the only bike from Alberta so far.

So unless we arrange a rendezvous with some US based people (such as yourself) who what to travel on the northern side, and/or connect up with some of the bunch from Ontario out that direction, I’m not sure a cross-Canada PPR is happening.

But things can change between now and then, eh?

I don't know if Canada bust transfers back to a US state license (for points) or not. Kind of doubt it.

I wouldn't be so hasty. :grin: Certain provinces and states have reciprocal agreements to do just that. For example, here in Ontario, we have reciprocal agreements with New York and Michigan. If I get a speeding ticket in New York, that information is sent to Ontario, and vice versa. Once I'm out of NY, or MI, I don't worry about the points, just the $$. Generally provinces/states that border each other would have these agreements, but you usually can check that online to confirm.

Ken I would love to go on the run starting from Calgary. I wanted to do Oregon last year and ended up with work commitments I couldn't get out of

I did the transcanada and I94 from Alberta to Ontario about 8 times when in Uni. Spoiler alert: AB border to Ontario is mostly boring - then N. Ontario is more interesting but not conducive to fast travelling.

It would be great to revisit....

But I'm not sure I will have the holiday time to do a return trip of 8500k this August. I might try to track down some one way alternatives with return shipping.

PS I agree with your assessment on speeding. The TransCanada near most towns you want to be under 15kph over the limit. On long stretches with good visibility you might push it to 20 kph over, but I wouldn't risk much higher or the blue lights will be in your mirrors.

Anyway its fun to follow this thread and think about going next year when I assume the UN will be back somewhere closer to the left coast.

Paul Mihalka

One Canadian ticket experience: In a lousy 4 cylinder Malibu US rental car, with my wife on my side, who is my regular speed control. On rt. 1 west of Revelstoke BC. Don't know how much over, but not much. Stop, check driver's license, write ticket. Advice that if we go and pay in person in the Revelstoke courthouse instead of mailing in, we get a 25% discount. Which we did. End of story. Money makes the world go round.

Ah yes, these good additional points:

If you have ever been convicted of a DUI anywhere, in theory you are perminantly bared from driving in Canada.

Radar detection devices are illegal in Canada.

Radar detection devices are illegal in Canada.

Except in Alberta, BC, and Saskatchewan - so ride the West!

jimfastcar

Sorry to say that I have to cancel my plans to go to my first UnRally as I now plan to go on a golf trip in October with a bunch of mates, and am also going to Americade and MOA TN.

My home in Oakville, Ontario is still a welcome waypoint for any travellers as a garage for repairs,(Dealer 15 min away), and a place to throw a sleeping bag in a finished basement.

I have contacted my roomate for my existing hotel reservation, and I have offered him first call on a replacement.

Bob Foley

I was to be Jim's roommate. I will not be attending the Un as well. Please contact jim about switching your name onto this room. thanks

Hmmmmm. I found a link with some info:

US Consular Service

OK, we've got crime, emergency vehicles going the wrong way on highways, speeding tickets for everyone, long flat areas in the middle of nowhere, no radar detectors and road signs could be in French. Oui, I still think it'd be fun.

Sounds fun to me. :dopeslap::grin:

Nancy was looking at the calendar today and asked if we were going to have Pied Pipers staying at our house this year.

What should I tell her? Anyone?

Nancy was looking at the calendar today and asked if we were going to have Pied Pipers staying at our house this year.

Good lord, I can't decipher this thread anymore!

All I know at this point are a few absolutes:

1) Leslie and I are NOT going to miss an UnRally if there is any breath remaining in our bodies--broken appendages notwithstanding!

2) We're notoriously poor planners and generally fly by the seat of our pants and change the details as we go along.

3) Due to circumstances beyond our conscious control, Maynarianrhod will be riding again and we will be on one bike. :P

4) As much as we love riding fast, long and far, we love you people even more so we would always opt for getting to see our friends vs. having to crawl along some deserted Canadian plain forced to stay within 10 kph over the posted limit flying blind with no use of electronic countermeasures. :smirk:

5) That said, we're the picture of flexibility. I'm taking my entire annual leave to make this trip and we've got weeks to travel so whatever the collective comes up with that allows us to extend our personal UnRally experience for another week or so is FINE by us! :clap:

That's all I've got this late in the evening. When I come up again for air after mid June, I'll be able to focus more on the planning process. We'll see who all is still on board at that time. Meanwhile all of you who enjoy the planning process as much as the actual riding, please go right on ahead throwing out ideas, routes, logistics, offers, etc. Les and I will get caught up as soon as we can.

Oh, and if you can find any "tunnels of DEATH" to catch along the way . . . well, we're game for that, too! :grin:

NPP

So, as I read it, we've got KenH (Edmonton), MikeRC (Alberta - but perhaps only picking up the run in ON), SK-in-AB (Calgary) and a few riders interested in riding the north route who may/may not include Twisties (good-to-go), KMG-365 (with hidden radar and scorched tupperware), 3Putt (his handycap - woods and irons), dhanson (gumbo in the cooler), and Bud (at the tiller - but NOT 3 sheets to the wind).

My suggestion is that we northern riders put together optional routes across the prairies and through Ontario in the areas we are familiar with. That way the riders in AB may be able to lay out a more interesting route across the prairies rather than a straight beetle run across the transcanada. Entry into Ontario would be either via North of Superior (Thunder Bay), South of Superior (Sault Ste. Marie) or southern ON via Sarnia or Windsor - well there's Niagara Falls too.

There are really only two routes from Thunder Bay (Twisties - the Cochrane route is pretty remote) and I think hugging Superior would be more interesting and again taking you through Sault St. Marie where you'd enter ON if you had taken the South Superior route.

JimFastCar, the Sarnia/Windsor run can be a complicated if one wanted to avoid the 401 slab. Perhaps your knowledge of the area would be helpful in the way of suggestions or even meeting/leading the group if they were to enter ON that far south. I could do the same from the north entry from the Sault to meet MarcoPolo in the Ottawa area. I've been running several optional routes through my mind to allow for fast or alternatively scenic routes depending on the time available when the group makes it this far east - presuming they do make a northern run. I just thought it would be good to have options available to present if the NPP materializes. I'm sure our first hand knowledge of these routes would be helpful to Twisties and others planning the run.

Paul D.

marcopolo

From Ottawa, it's an easy run to the UnRally site in New Hampshire -- 480 kms/300 miles (avoiding Montreal by crossing the border at Cornwall ON, running east in upper NY state, into Vermont at Rouse's Point, south along Lake Champlain to Burlinton, then southeast to Montpelier then over to Lancaster). My plan was to ride down Sunday, August 9th.

I'll keep an eye on this thread to see what, if anything, develops regarding a northern run.

Hi Mark

Are you still doing Scotland / Wales this month?

I may make a run around the block - across the top of Algonquin Park (Pembroke to North Bay) for a look see re: potential route suggestion if the NPP comes together. Are you familiar with this portion of hwy 17? Is it interesting? Otherwise, I'd suggest a more southern route south of the park but still continuing east to the Ottawa area. We ride your way to Calabogie / Perth and would recommend any of those roads. They're a bit slower, but fun. Of course you've got intro's and tea with the G.G. arranged.

Doing more reading and I notice Perlova and Quickshift are attending from ON as well (hey the UN from ON crew - kinda catchy) but not sure where they're starting from.

Hi Mark

Are you still doing Scotland / Wales this month?

I may make a run around the block - across the top of Algonquin Park (Pembroke to North Bay) for a look see re: potential route suggestion if the NPP comes together. Are you familiar with this portion of hwy 17? Is it interesting? Otherwise, I'd suggest a more southern route south of the park but still continuing east to the Ottawa area. We ride your way to Calabogie / Perth and would recommend any of those roads. They're a bit slower, but fun. Of course you've got intro's and tea with the G.G. arranged.

Doing more reading and I notice Perlova and Quickshift are attending from ON as well (hey the UN from ON crew - kinda catchy) but not sure where they're starting from.

Leaving Monday for Scotland.

I've done Hwy 17 a fair number of times, coming and going from Sault Ste. Marie on trips out west. It's not exactly a classic, if you know what I mean.

As for tea at the Governor General's residence, I'm a five-minute walk from her place, and about 10 mins from the Prime Minister's (you can often see his wife's dirt bike parked outside). I'll see what they're up to in August.

Thanks Mark - I suspected hwy 17, while a quick run would be somewhat boring. I'd be interested in exploring some routes with you or at least getting your feedback once you're in country again.

IF the NPP comes this way I'd like to offer them some memorable routes. Between the Sault and Ottawa there are some worthy roads. It'll be a matter of balancing expediency with rubber necking plus having last minute options depending on their schedule.

It's only a two hour ride for us to Parry Sound for a feed of pickerel but it always seems to take us a day to make that run. RT-Jim (cottages in Rosseau) will know what I mean. The roads and the scenery there are awesome.

Have a great trip, take lots of pics.

Paul D.

jimfastcar

There are two possibilities:

South - Hwy 3 generally travels in the proximity of Lake Erie and you would reach it by getting off the slab (401) after the border. It will take you towards the Niagara area, which might force your hand to take upstate NY as your route to NH, unless you want to go North after St Thomas and slab across Toronto.

North - would use 22 > 2 > 7, but be warned that as you approach Toronto it will get very tedious as it is densely populated.

My preference would be the southern route as there are some nice areas to see, particularly as you approach Niagara and the Niagara area. As always, time is the decision maker.

Thanks Jim

I just knew you'd know some ineresting roads other than the 401. I appreciate your suggestions. I can't imagine someone coming from far away and not wanting to see Niagara Falls and stop at a lock on the Welland Canal. If one wanted to say they'd "done" Toronto I guess they could do the Q.E. - Don Valley - 401 route if there was no activity at the Skydome or ACC Centre apart from avoiding rush hour if that's even possible. I tend to avoid the whole issue by using the 407 across the top but then I'm caging then. I'm afraid I've spent too many years in the county to deal with moto'n in city traffic.

Yes I agree about the time factor. That's why I thought we could collectively be pro-active and plan several options for routes with time in mind for each one.

We'll have to get you up for a run across the Terrance Barrens this summer.

Paul D.

Well folks, since your plans are still flexible (meaning they are not yet "fixed in stone") and we have been offered a sailboat for the days that you all "might" be coming by, we have decided to take up the sailing offer.

Therefore, there will not be a stop for homemade ice cream at Casa de Nancy and Bud this year. :cry:

Sorry.

Oh no!!! No ice cream!! This is a sad day! Since I will be riding my own bike my hubby said we have to try to find an easy straight route there and back if he even lets me go! :thumbsup:

Therefore, there will not be a stop for homemade ice cream at Casa de Nancy and Bud this year.

D@mn..... :(

Enjoy your sailing... :thumbsup:

Oh no!!! No ice cream!! This is a sad day! Since I will be riding my own bike my hubby said we have to try to find an easy straight route there and back if he even lets me go! :thumbsup:

Your husband is just afraid you will walk away from him on the twisties, that's why he wants to find a straight road. :rofl:

You all come on up for ice cream anytime. Just let me know when you will be here, lots of spare beds.

That way the riders in AB may be able to lay out a more interesting route across the prairies rather than a straight beetle run across the transcanada.

Is there such a thing? I figured we'd just have to suck it up on Hwy 1 until we get to at least Winnipeg. But then I'm new at this travel Canada thing, so I'm certianly open to suggestions.

...having to crawl along some deserted Canadian plain forced to stay within 10 kph over the posted limit flying blind with no use of electronic countermeasures.

:cry::P

Oh, and if you can find any "tunnels of DEATH" to catch along the way . . . well, we're game for that, too!

There are several this year, but they're along some deserted Canadian plain where you are forced to stay within 10 kph over the posted limit and fly blind with no use of electronic countermeasures.

Oh, and if you can find any "tunnels of DEATH" to catch along the way . . . well, we're game for that, too!

There are several this year, but they're along some deserted Canadian plain where you are forced to stay within 10 kph over the posted limit and fly blind with no use of electronic countermeasures.

Bleah. Out! :P

:grin:

We offered to have a few folks stay with us at out place in the Adirondacks on the evening of August 8th before departing for the UnRally on the 9th.

Original Post:

"OK -- checked with wife and got a green light. Those passing through the Adirondacks from the West are welcome to stop and stay the night -- we plan on heading for Lancaster on Sunday, the 9th. It's 5-6 hours to Lancaster from our place.

We have sleeping room in real beds for 12 people -- a couple of more if you squeeze in a bit. If you are campers, we have room for tents too. If you are couples, one of the beds is a queen size and we have a pullout couch too. The rest are single beds / bunk beds.

I propose we have a first come / first served reservations system stopping at 10 people to see what kind of gender / couple combinations shake out."

At last count, I had requests from the following folks -- all of whom we can accommodate. PLEASE CONFIRM your stay with us and when you know it, your estimated arrival date and time.

Getting excited!

Later,

BarNone

HOPZ 2 Double bed

Twisties 2 Double bed or 2 singles

Sagerider 1 Bed or floor

Bud 1 Bed or floor

Kitsap 1 Bed or floor

EffJay 1 Bed or floor

mbelectric 1 Bed or floor

Steve,

Please consider me confirmed at this point.

Date/time to follow...

I believe Bud is out since he will not be going to the Unrally.

Thank you!

EffJay 1 Bed or floor

Sadly, 2009 UN is out for me although I haven't formally canceled reservations. Cost of nearly 4 wks on the road, not including in-home pooch care for same period will not be possible in this lousy excruciating "economy" (oxymoron for "don't spend $$ you can't afford"). Thanks Steve for your generous offer of hospitality. I was so looking forward to a wonderful cross country adventure.

Jeff

Thanks for getting back to me SageRider. Sorry we won't be seeing you Jeff. I'll wait to hear from Bud -- hoping he checks the Board.

Be safe.

Thanks for getting back to me SageRider. Sorry we won't be seeing you Jeff. I'll wait to hear from Bud -- hoping he checks the Board.

Be safe.

Sorry to say, I will not be able to attend. I will miss the party that is starting to shape up at your place.

Green with envy.

Hi Folks,

Passport Required: Apply now.

At this time we need your IN's and OUT's

A number of us here at Torrey have discussed the matter. Michael (Sagerider), myself and Wade (kitsap) did some work. Sharon (Bullett), Les (Les is more), Bill (Bill Walker) and one or two others have seen the route and timing. I think we're ready to say, "This is it, folks." At least in general as to the point of when we leave, and where the nightly stops are, host homes, etc. We will fill in details and final routing later. Once we know about how many are IN we can think about lodging where there are no host homes.

We think the route has something for everyone, and hope to see a good turn out!

We will begin Saturday August 1 at our place in Salt Lake City. People are welcome to arrive a day or two early for some local riding.

Sunday night will be in Jackson, WY. This can be done as a 6 hour ride, but we have a couple of more interesting route options put together for those interested, the longest of which is 8 hours saddle time, and gets you up near 11,000' for some fine pass riding. Some of us will go for a "fine dining" experience in Jackson, but there are plenty of other options available. Hotel reservations are required in Jackson.

Monday August 3 will be in Red Lodge, MT. This is a short "play" day, and folks can make their own way through Teton and Yellowstone, up the Beartooth Highway, or Chief Joseph and pull in to Red Lodge as desired. Note that a google maps error prevents us displaying the route on the Beartooth, hwy 212. Hotel reservations are recommended in Red Lodge.

Tuesday August 4 will be a long hard slog across the plains to the 1000 lakes region, Specifically Detroit Lakes, MN. Hotel Reservations are recommended in Detroit Lakes.

Wednesday August 5 will be a short hop into Duluth. This will leave time for folks to visit Aerostitch, do laundry, or just rest. Hotel Reservations are recommended in Duluth.

Thursday August 6 will see us in Sault Ste Marie, MI. The run takes us along the shore of Lake Superior. If folks have the energy we can stop at Picture Rocks or Tahquamenon Falls. Hotel Reservations are recommended in Sault Ste Marie.

Friday August 7 will see us at Paul's (rocer) place in Ontario. We have about a 7 hour ride scheduled on highways, but are expecting to refine that route to include some more interesting routes.

Saturday August 8 places us in Old Forge. Again, we expect to refine this route to include a few more interesting roads. Steve and Kelly Barone have limited host home availability. You need to confirm with them. Steve will help with overflow arrangements if needed... this may be hotels, or he may try to line up a friend's home. If folks can tent camp that may help. At this point we just have no real idea how many riders we are talking here, so it's hard to see how this will work out, but the area is great, and great riding, and I'm pretty sure we can all take a dip in the lake.

Sunday August 9 places us in Lancaster. Sounds like some local riders will meet us for the party at Steve and Kelly's and lead us in. Route shown for the last day is a placeholder.

Again, let me state: This is pretty much final as to schedule and stop locations, exact routes, lodging, and dining are open to suggestions.

Route

Latest count at BarNone's in Old Forge, NY is 6.

We have room for 6 more inside.

Can accommodate campers too.

Steve

Hmmmmm, that's lookin' pretty good, but I don't see any "Tunnels of Death" listed anywhere!?!?!?! :S

. . . unless there's one in the vicinity of the oh-so-PC-named "Dead Indian Hill Rd". The poor fellow didn't try to follow some crazy guy on a pied RT though a nearby ToD, did he? :grin:

Since it looks like Leslie has taken the lead for planning Maynarianrhod's trip out, being there with all the movers and shakers (while I sit home, pounding the pavement and slaving away over a hot keyboard all day and night!) she'll have the best idea of our ability to fit in.

It looks like a great route and a great deal of work which ALL of us appreciate! I'm just the Queen's chauffeur for this trip so if MamaHoon's happy with the plan, I'm even happier and I'll make it work on my end!

Just double checked my available vacation time (will have just enough accrued by the time I get home to cover it all) and I'm reserved on the schedule at work. It's T-minus three days until I get my life back and then the excited chattering can start in earnest! :Cool:

The Pied Piper rides again! :clap:

If any wish to overnight at my home in Minden, NV Friday 7/31 before making the trek across the Great Basin to Twisties on 8/1, please let me know.

We have 1 queen bed in a guest bedroom and plenty of floor space.

Hi Jan, it’s forming up well!

So it looks like the PPR path and our Northern path converge on Friday August 7th at Iron Bridge, Ontario where Hwy 17 and Hwy 546 meet.

So in theory we would rendezvous with the group Friday night at Paul's (rocer) place in Haliburton, ON, if not on Hwy 17 or 69 some time before evening.

We’re not campers, so we would appreciate lodging guidance for Friday and Saturday nights.

So we are IN for Friday – Saturday – Sunday!

Archived