IGNORED

Cross Country Pied Piper Run... Is it too late???

SageRider

So now I'm starting to re-think this a bit...

Where is the group thinking about staying in Sault Ste Marie? On the US side or on the CAN side?

I got to looking at our route - out of Thunder Bay on Hwy 17, then near Michipicoten, ON, E on Hwy 101, then S on 129 to Iron Bridge, ON. If we were going to ride on with the PPR from there; we'd have to break that up. And there appears to be a big fat nothing (hotel wise) along that route. So maybe it makes more sense for us to spend Thursday night in Sault Ste Marie too. We'd want to stay on the CAN side though, obviously to avoid customs twice.

OK, we're in for Thursday - Friday - Saturday - Sunday!

Hi Ken,

We'll get you two in the same room (maybe the same bed too!).

Later,

Steve

Thank you very much!

My suggestion is that we northern riders put together optional routes across the prairies and through Ontario in the areas we are familiar with. That way the riders in AB may be able to lay out a more interesting route across the prairies rather than a straight beetle run across the transcanada.

Well ISFA the prairies, I'm not so sure if it's a whole lot better or not; but Donna and I are thinking of taking the Yellowhead Trail across. Not so sure if that works for the Calgary, AB folks though as they would have to come north to Edmonton, AB first... the Northern Route

Where is the group thinking about staying in Sault Ste Marie? On the US side or on the CAN side?

I got to looking at our route - out of Thunder Bay on Hwy 17, then near Michipicoten, ON, E on Hwy 101, then S on 129 to Iron Bridge, ON. If we were going to ride on with the PPR from there; we'd have to break that up. And there appears to be a big fat nothing (hotel wise) along that route. So maybe it makes more sense for us to spend Thursday night in Sault Ste Marie too. We'd want to stay on the CAN side though, obviously to avoid customs twice.

Great!!! Glad this is going to work out! That's really just fantastic.

We don't have specific plans for SSM yet. Don't see why we couldn't cross if there are hotels on the Canadian side... must be, eh.

Hi Ken and Donna

Just back from being away for the long weekend and catching up with posts. Double bed available but numbers are building so you may have to be prepared to share the space with one or two floor people if that's okay.

Had a look at the map and without checking mileage it appears a run straight down hwy 17 to the Sault would be shorter than 101/129 route and a less desolate. I like your idea of hooking up with the group in the Can. Sault and besides, they'll have an exchange advantage. Besides, they could probably use an interpreter eh. Mapquest suggests a 7 hr. run from the Sault to our place. We're going to suggest some local roads that will slow them down a bit but well worth the extra miles. Again M.Quest suggests another 7 hrs. to BarNone's from our place and again I'm going to suggest a slightly longer run (but not by much and time can be made up on the 401 if necessary).

We're looking forward to meeting you and Donna. Let us know your thoughts abt. the above accommodations.

Paul (&Kath)

We don't have specific plans for SSM yet. Don't see why we couldn't cross if there are hotels on the Canadian side... must be, eh.

You'll find that the Canadian side has more going on than the U.S. side of Sault Ste. Marie. The American side seems to be the poor cousin of Michigan, and that's saying something these days.

I've stayed on both sides on various rides out west, so just don't expect gourmet cuisine on either side. :grin:

Geez Rocer - you didn't tell me you were right next door to my place?!! (OK, maybe not exactly next door but in the grand scheme...) Think we should try to get tickets for people on the Segwun?

Wonder if I can talk people into making a quick stop in Oshawa to see the Canadian Automotive Museum ... should stop and see the car my great grandfather build - the Redpath Messenger.

Oh.... the possibilities.

Jim

Hi Jim - the "possibilities" of selecting appropriate alternative routes have been tormenting me since I learned the Pied Piper group would be coming this way. One of the route "adjustments" I'll suggest to the group will take them through our (read yours and ours) cherished Rosseau, down Peninsula Rd and on to Port Carling. If they don't stop for a cool one on the waterside patio in Port Carling I'll take all of them off my Christmas card list :/ although I won't expect them to take an icecream stop and sit in the shade under the swing bridge in Port Sanfield while watching the woodies ply the channel.

The run from the Soo to our place is a minimum 7 hrs. so it will be difficult to suggest a route(s) that might take in the maximum exposure to the area. I thought a run past the Gravenhurst docks would be in order but in all probability the steam ships will be out on the lakes at the time they ride through.

Jim, please feel free to pm me with any suggestions keeping in mind the groups long day on the road. Also, if you'd care to come by our place for the evening social & grub on the 7th, you and yours are more than welcome. We'd even find a flat spot if you'd like to pitch a tent if you are so inclined.

Either way, perhaps this summer we could meet you in the shade of the Port Sandfield bridge for a Kawartha cone.

Paul (&Kath)

I think maybe I'll venture north to meet everyone in Duluth.

Standing by for hotel info along the route. Thanks for all the planning.

Hooray!!!! Was hoping that would work for you! Maybe you have some ideas on hotels/dining in the midwest portion of the affair?

Remind us please.

I thought you had another thread for an east coast run. Haven't been following that much but thought it was like ltljohn and Vita Rara or something like that for stops. Are you thinking you'd intersect and join up with us cross country(s) folks at some point?

Matts_12GS
Remind us please.

I thought you had another thread for an east coast run. Haven't been following that much but thought it was like ltljohn and Vita Rara or something like that for stops. Are you thinking you'd intersect and join up with us cross country(s) folks at some point?

I don't know...

There was never much response for the Southern run so I have decided that I will run up to John's place since it's only about 800 miles.

As to meeting up with y'all, I haven't looked at the route you've been discussing in any detail.

Twisties and I have been working on motels for the Pied Piper run to the Unrally.

Criteria:

Dining within walking distance.

Internet Access.

Parking in front of room where possible.

Reasonable cost for area.

Prices below are approximate. Ask if discounts (AAA, AARP, etc.) are available.

All stays are single night.

The following is what we have chosen:

Arrive Saturday 8/1

Host home: Twisties

Salt Lake City, UT

Arrive Sunday 8/2

Rawhide Motel

75 S Millward St

Jackson, WY 83001

(307) 733-1216

$139/night

http://rawhidemotel.com/

Arrive Monday 8/3

Yodeler Motel

601 S. Broadway

Red Lodge, MT

(406)446-1435

Rates: $89-$99 downstairs, $119-$129 Upstairs. AAA & AARP discount: $10 off.

Cancellation: 48 hours.

Downstairs view of parking lot through bathroom window. Upstairs has balconies on street side and parking lot side.

http://www.yodelermotel.com/home.html

Arrive Tuesday 8/4

Budget Host Inn Detroit Lakes

895 Highway 10 East

Detroit Lakes, MN 56501

Local Phone: (218) 847-4454

Rates: about $70.

http://budgethostdl.com

Arrive Wednesday 8/5

Best Western Downtown Motel

131 W 2nd Street

Duluth, Minnesota 55802-2016

(218)727-6851

$68-$82/night.

Cancellation: 4PM day of reservation.

Interior corridors (as are all in the area).

Rooms surround parking.

http://book.bestwestern.com/bestwestern/productInfo.do?propertyCode=24004

Arrive Thursday 8/6

Bel-Air Motel

398 Pim Street

Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario

P6B 2VI

CANADA

1-877-841-1627

$55-$89 CAN/night.

24 hour cancellation.

www.bel-airmotel.com

Arrive Friday 8/7

Host home: Rocer

Arrive Saturday 8/8

Host home: BarNone

Arrive Sunday 8/9

Unrally VIII

Twisties and I have been working on motels for the Pied Piper run to the Unrally.

Criteria:

Dining within walking distance.

Internet Access.

Parking in front of room where possible.

Reasonable cost for area.

Prices below are approximate. Ask if discounts (AAA, AARP, etc.) are available.

All stays are single night.

The following is what we have chosen:

Arrive Saturday 8/1

Host home: Twisties

Salt Lake City, UT

Arrive Sunday 8/2

Rawhide Motel

75 S Millward St

Jackson, WY 83001

(307) 733-1216

$139/night

http://rawhidemotel.com/

Arrive Monday 8/3

Yodeler Motel

601 S. Broadway

Red Lodge, MT

(406)446-1435

Rates: $89-$99 downstairs, $119-$129 Upstairs. AAA & AARP discount: $10 off.

Cancellation: 48 hours.

Downstairs view of parking lot through bathroom window. Upstairs has balconies on street side and parking lot side.

http://www.yodelermotel.com/home.html

Arrive Tuesday 8/4

Budget Host Inn Detroit Lakes

895 Highway 10 East

Detroit Lakes, MN 56501

Local Phone: (218) 847-4454

Rates: about $70.

http://budgethostdl.com

Arrive Wednesday 8/5

Best Western Downtown Motel

131 W 2nd Street

Duluth, Minnesota 55802-2016

(218)727-6851

$68-$82/night.

Cancellation: 4PM day of reservation.

Interior corridors (as are all in the area).

Rooms surround parking.

http://book.bestwestern.com/bestwestern/productInfo.do?propertyCode=24004

Arrive Thursday 8/6

Bel-Air Motel

398 Pim Street

Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario

P6B 2VI

CANADA

1-877-841-1627

$55-$89 CAN/night.

24 hour cancellation.

www.bel-airmotel.com

Arrive Friday 8/7

Host home: Rocer

Arrive Saturday 8/8

Host home: BarNone

Reservations Required

Arrive Sunday 8/9

Unrally VIII

Sharon and I are reserved as above.

Les is more

I have booked all of the above for Jamie and myself.

I am really starting to feel the excitement now!!!!!

LET'S MOTO! (she cried from the back of Jamie's bike with her broken arm flailing in the breeze).

Looking for MBELECTRIC

If you guys would give him a message that I am looking to communicate with him, I would appreciate it. His PM box is full.

I am holding a place for him on August 8th at our place in the Adirondacks and I have not received confirmation that he is coming.

Thanks,

BarNone (Steve)

Steve - while you're waiting to hear back from BBE just wanted to say I'm going to try to ride with the group as far as the 1,000 Islands bridge and wondered if you might pick them up there with a quick run to Alex. Bay to see Boldt Castle. It would be nice if they could cross the ferry at Kingston to Wolf Island and on to the ferry to Cape Vincent but I'm quite sure that would be asking too much schedule wise. Anyway, the crossing at the 1,000 Islands bridge is spectacular on it's own. Of course you're welcome to ride to Minden and return to Old Forge with the group as well.

P.

Looking for MBELECTRIC

If you guys would give him a message that I am looking to communicate with him, I would appreciate it. His PM box is full.

I am holding a place for him on August 8th at our place in the Adirondacks and I have not received confirmation that he is coming.

Thanks,

BarNone (Steve)

This is probably a good place to repeat the following from the Route announcement post on the 20th page of this thread:

Saturday August 8 places us in Old Forge. Again, we expect to refine this route to include a few more interesting roads. Steve and Kelly Barone have limited host home availability. You need to confirm with them. Steve will help with overflow arrangements if needed... this may be hotels, or he may try to line up a friend's home. If folks can tent camp that may help. At this point we just have no real idea how many riders we are talking here, so it's hard to see how this will work out, but the area is great, and great riding, and I'm pretty sure we can all take a dip in the lake.

Steve - while you're waiting to hear back from BBE just wanted to say I'm going to try to ride with the group as far as the 1,000 Islands bridge and wondered if you might pick them up there with a quick run to Alex. Bay to see Boldt Castle. It would be nice if they could cross the ferry at Kingston to Wolf Island and on to the ferry to Cape Vincent but I'm quite sure that would be asking too much schedule wise. Anyway, the crossing at the 1,000 Islands bridge is spectacular on it's own. Of course you're welcome to ride to Minden and return to Old Forge with the group as well.

P.

Paul,

We have about 7 hours of saddle time scheduled for the run between your place and Steve's using highways/fastest route. As you know we are looking to turn that into a more interesting run, and undoubtedly that will take longer. But we also want to get to Steve's in time for a cookout on the lake, so just to offer some guidance, I think a 9 hour saddle time route would be about max for us.

Looking forward to your suggestions, and it's gonna be great to have you ride with us some of the way!

Thanks,

Ken,

How many are you thinking are coming in the Canadian contingent? Who? We all meeting at SSM? Looking forward to riding with you and Donna.

Out... :cry:

No Pied Piper for me. This trip would mean 3 weeks without pay for me... Gotta take the work while it's there. After too much time without work this year, I'm playing catch up... I'm workin' on a fly and ride though....Got the airline miles stashed, just gotta firm some details on the ride. Fingers crossed of course!

Thanks Barnone Steve, I'm out, but I'm sure you'll get a taker for your accomodations..and my mailbox is empty, so must be a system error.

Details to follow when firmed.

MB>

Ken,

How many are you thinking are coming in the Canadian contingent? Who?

From west of Winnipeg, as far as I'm aware, so far it's only us.

Mike (MikeRC) from Calgary I think is possibly joining from the US side as he will be there on another trip.

Claus (SANTA) from Saskatoon is out this year, going elsewhere with his SO.

I haven't heard/seen anything here from Lester (LesterV) and Nadeene in B.C. in like forever. Or Al & Deb.

Stephen (SK_in_AB) (whom I don’t think Donna and I have met) has been in this thread off and on, but isn’t registered yet for the UN, so I’m not sure of his status.

Of course there are a number of Ontario people.

We all meeting at SSM?

That's the thinking. We'll book into the same hotel there Thursday night.

Starting to get pumped!

Cheers!

We'll book into the same hotel there Thursday night.

Starting to get pumped!

Cheers!

:clap::clap:

It'll be great to see you and Donna again!

(In spite of how I tend to respond to your more political posts... :grin::dopeslap: )

Thanks for remembering me Ken,

No we haven't met, and right now I think it is unlikely I will unrally this year. IF that cahnges I will be a very late entry (mid July) and will try to fit in as best as I can to the plans you have worked so hard on.

Next time business takes me on my bike to Edmonton we should get acquainted.

Stephen

I am even a worse planner than Jamie, Jean sets the dates for me and I fly from that. Looks like Duluth for us also. Still learning Jean's time limits on the road, don't want to overtax the GS driver. When she gets tired she tends to park the GS on the Pelican case.

But surely we can make Duluth in a week, err 2 days. Really big thanks for you hip planners, makes our job much easier for sure.

I am even a worse planner than Jamie, Jean sets the dates for me and I fly from that. Looks like Duluth for us also. Still learning Jean's time limits on the road, don't want to overtax the GS driver. When she gets tired she tends to park the GS on the Pelican case.

But surely we can make Duluth in a week, err 2 days. Really big thanks for you hip planners, makes our job much easier for sure.

Yeehaw, see you there!

Thanks for the leg work Michael!

We're now booked at the Bel-Air in Sault Ste. Marie the evening of the 6th!

We'll catch up with you all there!

Just a reminder... Our house in SLC is offered as a host location.

Inside parking for several bikes and outside on parking pad for the rest. Also provides a good starting location in the morning for departure to the Mirror Lake Highway or direct to Jackson, WY if you like.

Will probably have fresh keg of homebrew available.

jimfastcar

P.

Be mindful of the limitations of the Ferry between Wolfe and Cape Vincent , maybe only 4 bikes at a time.....?

Ken,

How many are you thinking are coming in the Canadian contingent? Who?

From west of Winnipeg, as far as I'm aware, so far it's only us.

Mike (MikeRC) from Calgary I think is possibly joining from the US side as he will be there on another trip.

Claus (SANTA) from Saskatoon is out this year, going elsewhere with his SO.

I haven't heard/seen anything here from Lester (LesterV) and Nadeene in B.C. in like forever. Or Al & Deb.

Stephen (SK_in_AB) (whom I don’t think Donna and I have met) has been in this thread off and on, but isn’t registered yet for the UN, so I’m not sure of his status.

Of course there are a number of Ontario people.

We all meeting at SSM?

That's the thinking. We'll book into the same hotel there Thursday night.

Starting to get pumped!

Cheers!

As for Ontario folk, I'm going, but for me it's a leisurely jaunt of some 300 miles from my home (Ottawa) to Roger's campground/motel, so at this point I'm assuming I'll just make my own way down from here. Doesn't seem to make much sense trying to connect with the PP Run.

Ken,

What, us miss an UN???? Don't count us out. Nadine is undecided at the moment. If she goes we'll first do a loop into Nova Scotia. If she doesn't go then I'll look at the routes and possibly a pied piper tie in somewhere. I'm booked into room a few doors down from you in NH.

Al and deb used up their holidays riding with us in New Zealand, so no go for them.

What, us miss an UN???? Don't count us out. Nadine is undecided at the moment. If she goes we'll first do a loop into Nova Scotia. If she doesn't go then I'll look at the routes and possibly a pied piper tie in somewhere. I'm booked into room a few doors down from you in NH.

SWEEEEEEET!!!!! The streak continues!! :clap:

• 2 weeks later...

I just want to take a minute and thank those that offered host homes that are not on the Cross Country PP final route.

In order from West to East:

Ken and Donna (KenH)

Bud and Nancy (Bud)

Tom and Joyce (3Putt)

Jim (RTJim)

Jim (Jimfastcar)

and John (ltljohn)

Hope I haven't missed anyone. This has been a really fun process, and you all made it possible in the best BMWST spirit. It's amazing what this board is about, and how people come together like this.

Thanks so much for your offers.

I just want to take a minute and thank those that offered host homes that are not on the Cross Country PP final route.

In order from West to East:

Ken and Donna (KenH)

Bud and Nancy (Bud)

Tom and Joyce (3Putt)

Jim (RTJim)

Jim (Jimfastcar)

and John (ltljohn)

Hope I haven't missed anyone. This has been a really fun process, and you all made it possible in the best BMWST spirit. It's amazing what this board is about, and how people come together like this.

Thanks so much for your offers.

:thumbsup::clap:

My thanks as well!!!

WooHoo!!! and we get to travel to another Unrally together. I'm excited and really looking forward to this . . . :lurk:

I think we are going to have passports in time so tomorrow I am going to start making our reservations. Of course I made our reservation in New Hampshire when all of this started. I know I waited a long time for the piped piper plans but I didn't know if I was going to get to go, but here we go!! :clap:

I think we are going to have passports in time

It's actually a good time for a reminder to everyone... Bring your passports if you have them!

There is a very nice run from Lancaster up Rt 3 through Moose Alley and into Canada. You are only in Canada for 35 minutes to make the connection but it's worth it because, when you cross back over in Coburn Maine, Routes 27 and 16 are wonderful New England riding.

See you soon!

Paul

• 3 weeks later...

I think Ken and Michael have some GPS stuff done.

From Duluth to Sault Ste Marie is easy.

The route to Paul and Kath's (Minden, Ontario) is a bit complex. Michael is on a cruise and has limited connectivity, but perhaps Ken can pass you the route to Paul's, or I can give you the text directions.

IIRC we haven't settled on the route from Paul's to Steve's (Old Forge). I think we're close though. I'll have to go check that status, maybe we did finish it.

We haven't discussed Old Forge to the UN since the lengthy discussion in this thread. Are some folks still talking of meeting us at Steve's? Maybe Steve has a route in mind? I think we had some good options here in this thread at one point. We'll come up with something.

Tom - I've just sent to Jan for forwarding suggestions for about 4 routes from our place to the border crossing at the Thousand Islands Bridge near Ivy Lea ON. It's basically two routes with variations according to time available.All of them can be easily modified enroute.

Looking at your route to Duluth I wanted to make sure you knew that you are welcome to ride here direct(I would suggest crossing at Sarnia and travelling north along scenic Lake Huron/Georgian Bay) and be part of the welcoming committee or even ride out from here to meet the group. Need I remind you that there are 5 golf courses within 10 minutes of our house? :grin:

Getting excited now! Kelly and I are looking forward to hosting the folks staying with us in Old Forge, NY on August 8.

For those wanting to map the route, our address here is 209 Cold Spring Road, Old Forge, NY 13420. If you tell me where you plan to spend the evening of the 7th, I can suggest some good back roads to get here. Our phone number at the lake is 315-369-3902. Cell phone service is a bit sketchy here in the mountains but in case you need it, my cell is 315-427-6096.

We are planning a cookout for all and the "Boss" has asked that you try to arrive by 4 -- earlier is better, especially if you want to swim, boat, kayak, etc.

I have worked out a route from here to UN headquarters in Lancaster and will ask Paul (SAMSAR) to post it for downloading to your GPS'.

I left the list of who has confirmed on my desk at home and I won't be back there till Thursday or Friday so I would appreciate it if you would confirm one last time. Feel free to PM if you would prefer.

Screen name:

Sleeping arrangement requested:

Phone number while traveling:

See y'all soon.

Steve

Getting excited now! Kelly and I are looking forward to hosting the folks staying with us in Old Forge, NY on August 8.

For those wanting to map the route, our address here is 209 Cold Spring Road, Old Forge, NY 13420. If you tell me where you plan to spend the evening of the 7th, I can suggest some good back roads to get here. Our phone number at the lake is 315-369-3902. Cell phone service is a bit sketchy here in the mountains but in case you need it, my cell is 315-427-6096.

We are planning a cookout for all and the "Boss" has asked that you try to arrive by 4 -- earlier is better, especially if you want to swim, boat, kayak, etc.

I have worked out a route from here to UN headquarters in Lancaster and will ask Paul (SAMSAR) to post it for downloading to your GPS'.

I left the list of who has confirmed on my desk at home and I won't be back there till Thursday or Friday so I would appreciate it if you would confirm one last time. Feel free to PM if you would prefer.

Screen name:

Sleeping arrangement requested:

Phone number while traveling:

See y'all soon.

Steve

Archived