IGNORED

UnRally Chatter

chrisolson

Truck and Trailer are loaded, heading out at 4pm

Akron, St Louis, Albuquerque then Purgatory (hopefully in that order) .... arriving Monday

See ya then !!

• Like 2
Dennis Andress

If you just want a place to sleep and shower 70 miles east of Albuquerque is Santa Rosa. Much better tooth to tattoo ratio. 

• Haha 2
John Ranalletta
24 minutes ago, roadscholar said:

You can't get there from here : )

Sounds like "full tank - empty bladder" alert has been sounded.

• Like 1

We are leaving on Saturday with a stop in Fort Smith AK and from there it's on to Santa Fe. We've had mucho bad luck in Albuquerque we aint stopping there! I'm gonna unload the bike in Santa Fe Monday morning and ride to Purgatory. DyAnne graciously agreed to drive the truck / trailer into Purgatory. 

• Like 3
Dennis Andress
29 minutes ago, MikeB60 said:

…DyAnne graciously agreed to drive the truck / trailer into Purgatory. 

That’s a big ask…

16 minutes ago, Dennis Andress said:

That’s a big ask…

Yep, I'm sure there is some type of payback in the future. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
59 minutes ago, MikeB60 said:

We've had mucho bad luck in Albuquerque we aint stopping there!

Thanks for the heads up ...... changing plans to stay in either Sante Rosa or Santa Fe

• Like 2
Dennis Andress
37 minutes ago, MachineJoe said:

Thanks for the heads up ...... changing plans to stay in either Sante Rosa or Santa Fe

Santa Rosa is a truck stop. As such it works just fine. Santa Fe is the kinda place where you ask for late check out….

• Like 1
roadscholar
4 hours ago, MikeB60 said:

We are leaving on Saturday with a stop in Fort Smith AK and from there it's on to Santa Fe. We've had mucho bad luck in Albuquerque we aint stopping there! I'm gonna unload the bike in Santa Fe Monday morning and ride to Purgatory. DyAnne graciously agreed to drive the truck / trailer into Purgatory. 

About 6 years ago a buddy and I rode some of the NMBDR then stayed at the ABQ downtown Flying J in the big truck camper, it was def sketchy. Evidently has gotten worse because about 12 and 22-23 years ago spent some time there and was pretty cool then. Northern NM on the other hand is nice altho can get pretty remote. Once was riding dirt bikes with my brother (who lived in ABQ) up in the northern woods, we stopped a minute and he was shifting some stuff around. He pulled out a big Glock, I said what’s that for? He says, where we’re going we are the law : )

• Like 1
21 hours ago, Dennis Andress said:

Santa Rosa is a truck stop. As such it works just fine. Santa Fe is the kinda place where you ask for late check out….

We're holed up in Tucumcari.. Santa Fe tomorrow 

• Like 1
Dennis Andress

There's no good way to cross Nevada, but the Best Western Paradise Inn in Beaver, Utah has an excellent pool.

Kathryn and I got to Purgatory today at dusk. Parked the rig in a lot outside the property that the desk directed us to since the two main lots close gates from 7pm to 7am. We are staying in Durango tonight and are running from here to Gunnison tomorrow. Yesteday we drove from Atlanta to OKC then finished up today. A long 1700 miles.

purgatory parking.jpg

• Like 8

Forgot to mention a good lunch was to be had at the Navajo cultural center in Albuquerque. Navajo tacos with green chilies. 

lunch.jpg

• Like 9
13 hours ago, Dennis Andress said:

Hmmmm..... This looks like fun....  7 hours, 372 miles.  Anybody up for a ride on Monday?

Google Maps link

image.thumb.png.ae7e69a8b70e62a2b482b09e69f7dd24.png

Dennis, I'll shoot you a PM this evening. Gonna send DyAnne up 550 with the trailer, your route looks mo funner on the bike.

43 minutes ago, Twisties said:

Yep .. had signed up for alerts from the county and was definitely disappointed when I saw that ... oh well ... but maybe there were some really sketchy places if its going to be down for a whole week ... so potentially a good thing not to run a bad trail.

10 hours ago, chrisolson said:

Yep .. had signed up for alerts from the county and was definitely disappointed when I saw that ... oh well ... but maybe there were some really sketchy places if its going to be down for a whole week ... so potentially a good thing not to run a bad trail.

I think you can still do the pass, turn around and come back down.  I'd be interested in trying to get to this place with my camera one morning early.  It's on the way, sort of.  Don't have much info on the road, but I did find reports of people getting up there by Jeep.  Anyway, don't know if that sparks any interest on your part.

https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=10227065762164263&set=a.1395649285557

map silver.png

There is a jeep trail to Silver Basin ... its rated as 4 or 5 difficulty ... definitely high clearance / 4wd (lockers nice for a couple of spots but not required)

Some info I have says may not be open all the way ...

depending on time it could be interesting ... we can talk ... I have a feeling that Imogene may be a "parking lot" with tons of folks going up and back down the same way from the summit

Just now, chrisolson said:

I have a feeling that Imogene may be a "parking lot" with tons of folks going up and back down the same way from the summit

That thought had crossed my mind.

F@ck! I'm OUT. Got as far as Fernley NV and the KTM us overheating everytime I slow down or stop. Turning around and limping home. Enjoy all, sorry to miss seeing everyone. Been too long.

Russ

Edited by RT Russ
fat thumbs/spelling
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2
1 minute ago, RT Russ said:

F@ck! I'm OUT. Got as far as Fernley NV and the KTM us overheating everytime I slow down or stop. Turning around and limping home. Enjoy all, sorry to miss seeing everyone. Been too long.

Russ

Dang!  Was looking forward to seeing you.  Come out in a cage.  Plenty to do and see.  If you drive out I'd offer you Sharon's old RT to ride, but it's lowered and set up for a 140 lbs rider.  You could try it, though and see how it does.  

roadscholar
6 hours ago, chrisolson said:

I have a feeling that Imogene may be a "parking lot" with tons of folks going up and back down the same way from the summit

It may not be too bad on a Monday or Tuesday but the east side will have more traffic because most people access it from that side. If you did Ophir over and Last Dollar back or vice versa and Imogene early or late in the day it could be fine, keep in mind it's nearly all one lane above tree line with not many pulloffs but you can see oncoming traffic well ahead. Plenty of good photo ops on either side and probably worth a try if you're that close.

1136.JPG  

1143.JPG

1147.JPG

• Like 2

Locals tend to pair Ophir with Scotch Creek.  Scotch comes out at Purgatory or near by.  I haven't been on it and don't know what it's like, although I did hear it has a significant water crossing sometimes.

roadscholar

I was thinking more of non residents that may want to see (or have a meal in) Telluride, ride up to the waterfall on Black Bear or the tunnel on Imogene. There's also a nice dirt road that parallels 550 from Ridgway to downtown Ouray. Haven't been on Scotch Creek either and Last Dollar will def take more time but think it could all be easily done in a day with plenty of stops.

29 minutes ago, Twisties said:

Scotch comes out at Purgatory or near by.

As best as I can tell, from 145 south of Rico, scotch creek connects to hotel draw road which connects to hermosa park road which goes back to the lodge ....whew !!!!

But yes, unknown trail conditions although one report said hermosa park rd was blocked but might be before the connection

5 hours ago, roadscholar said:

Ophir over and Last Dollar back

That would be the current plan.  On Imogene even with long sight lines, I thinking "conga line" waiting for up or down to clear given the limited passing spots and some folks not understanding trail etiquette ... but maybe ....

5 minutes ago, roadscholar said:

There's also a nice dirt road that parallels 550 from Ridgway to downtown Ouray.

Haven't seen that one ...

did see the one from next to 550 south of Ironton to north of Silverton  one app calls it US Basin, the other Red Mountain pass ... ???

roadscholar
41 minutes ago, chrisolson said:
53 minutes ago, roadscholar said:

There's also a nice dirt road that parallels 550 from Ridgway to downtown Ouray.

Haven't seen that one ...

did see the one from next to 550 south of Ironton to north of Silverton  one app calls it US Basin, the other Red Mountain pass ... ???

The Ridgway-Ouray dirt road is CR 23 and 17 (Google Maps) no big deal just a nice local road to bypass 550 that runs up out of the valley some. 

I think you're referring to FR 825, haven't done it so no intel. One thing you could do (and likely get away with on a weekday) is go to the top of the pass on Black Bear and turn around. It becomes one way west about 2/3 way to the summit but is usually wide enough for two way traffic. If a ranger in a white Jeep (inside joke, ask Twisties) sees you which is highly unlikely just play dumb : ) 

Another thing to do if time constrained, if you do Corkscrew you can turn right at the bottom of the hill and go south back to Silverton instead of Hurricane and California Passes.

13 minutes ago, roadscholar said:

I think you're referring to FR 825

don't know ... 31 - 31A ?? Goes by Yankee Girl Mine , Longfellow Mine, Genessee Mine , National Bell and Hero Mine ...

but maybe this helps ... Trails Offroad calls it US Basin but onXMaps calls it Red Mountain Pass

Screenshot 2023-07-23 at 8.48.34 PM.png

roadscholar
1 hour ago, chrisolson said:

don't know ... 31 - 31A ?? Goes by Yankee Girl Mine , Longfellow Mine, Genessee Mine , National Bell and Hero Mine ...

but maybe this helps ... Trails Offroad calls it US Basin but onXMaps calls it Red Mountain Pass

Screenshot 2023-07-23 at 8.48.34 PM.png

Haven't done that one either Chris, I know some of the locals ride it on dualsports and jeeps go to Yankee Girl Mine, I'd probably give it a shot. Also if you ever need intel on a trail stop in any of the jeep rental places and ask, always helpful, they know all the roads and usually have good maps. Speaking of maps, the best I’ve found is the Colorado Benchmark Atlas, shows everything you’d ever need.

9 hours ago, Twisties said:

Dang!  Was looking forward to seeing you.  Come out in a cage.  Plenty to do and see.  If you drive out I'd offer you Sharon's old RT to ride, but it's lowered and set up for a 140 lbs rider.  You could try it, though and see how it does.  

Thanks Jan, that’s a very kind offer. I did think about caging it just to see folks. I’m tired, the heat took its toll on me today. I’m going to stay home, maybe tear the bike down in the morning to see what happened. Enjoy the UN.

Russ

8 hours ago, RT Russ said:

Thanks Jan, that’s a very kind offer. I did think about caging it just to see folks. I’m tired, the heat took its toll on me today. I’m going to stay home, maybe tear the bike down in the morning to see what happened. Enjoy the UN.

Russ

As someone who once made the mistake of going on a cross-country trip despite several "signals" being sent by karma, the weather forecast, and mechanical issues with my RT prior to departing, I congratulate you on being wise enough to know when to quit. All I can say is that I wish I'd had done the same in April of 2004.

2 hours ago, beemerboy said:

As someone who once made the mistake of going on a cross-country trip despite several "signals" being sent by karma, the weather forecast, and mechanical issues with my RT prior to departing, I congratulate you on being wise enough to know when to quit. All I can say is that I wish I'd had done the same in April of 2004.

Strange enough, when I took the Hwy 50 exit in Fernley to head for Fallon I must have missed a turn at the round a bout........2 miles later I'm looking at an I-80 West on ramp and I heard comedian Bill Ingvall say, "here's your sign".  I decided it was indeed a sign and turned for home! I just couldn't risk breaking down on the loneliest highway in 100 degree heat. In my younger days I would have pressed on. Live to fight another day as they say.

Russ

• Plus 1 1
  • chrisolson unfeatured this topic