IGNORED

UnRally Chatter

chrisolson

quick question, assuming us flatlanders cannot get to a mountain for some aclimation, I have been reading that sprinting can somewhat mimick/prepare a flatlander for a short stint in the mountains.  the google searces basically said "while not ideal, if you can incorporate sprinting into your daily routine for a month before hand the oxygen deprivation from sprinting can help your body prior to a trip to the mountains."

while I know the internet is always correct, this seemed to be genuine.  Has anyone had experience with this to confirm?

On 5/15/2023 at 7:40 AM, randy said:

Saturday is Durango to Gunnison via south fork and lake city
Sunday is Gunnison to Fruita via  Monarch pass, Aspen, Hotchkiss, Mesa

I'd like to ride some of those roads; didn't have a chance the only time I rode there a long time ago (on a K1200RS, and a buddy on an R1150RS). Did the San Juan Skyway loop both ways (million dollar highway a bit hairy going south. Ha ha), rode 92, 114 (the first half is awesome), etc., but not 149, and others. Anyway, I'm going to try to make it to this 'un-rally', since that's what I like (weekdays, informal, etc). The only negative for me is it's during monsoon season (a month later would have been perfect), but not a deal-breaker. And I say that because I don't ride my roadster with anything to check weather, etc (the analog way). It could still rain in August, but usually not as potentially dangerous. But riding with somebody 'connected' would prevent that. He he.

Finally, I was looking everywhere for your routes, but couldn't find them. And I don't think I could see them without mapping software anyway, right? So unless there's a way, and you don't mind explaining how, no worries. I have an idea where I'd like to ride, and would map my routes the hard way on Google, and take a photo of them from my computer screen, and call it a day. Ha ha. I may need to look into that stuff eventually, but I'm resisting for now. Ha ha. Thank you.

roadscholar
11 hours ago, ELP said:

I have an idea where I'd like to ride, and would map my routes the hard way on Google, and take a photo of them from my computer screen, and call it a day. Ha ha. I may need to look into that stuff eventually, but I'm resisting for now. Ha ha. Thank you.

No need for a GPS, there are very few paved roads in western Colorado. Get a map and ride these roads, you can venture East or West of the loop but you'll end up a long ways from base so plan accordingly. The loop could take 2 or 3 days to ride at a leisurely pace (fuel, food, and photos) so split it up as you see fit.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1dPvbM86YX8knvRAyKg-EZEAVQqk5PSg&usp=sharing

• Like 3

Back to the Altitude Adjustment Algorithm Assessment for a second.  Big Randy noted that at least one of the routes hits 12,000 ft above MSL and several up to 10,000.  For us geezers, and you know who you are, that can be "an issue" if you ain't used to it, and you know that, too.   What to do??  "Be Prepared", as the Boy Scouts' Motto goes.  Big Randy recommended O2 from Amazon.  Four "bottles" arrived today.  Two for me and two for the bike.

Each 5 L can is about 2 in diameter and 8.5 in tall, weighs about 3 oz. total, and contains "5 Liters of 95% Aviators Breathing Oxygen", "not Medical Oxygen"., and "5% ambient air, Natural Menthol-EucalyptusAroma".  O2 is essentially weightless in the atmosphere, like a bottle of water under water.  Other sizes are available, too, larger and smaller.  

I'd rather have it and not not need it than the other way.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PQX9DSC?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

image.thumb.png.30522ab7911b675b574532b31a9d3a92.png

image.png.bd2fd51bcf3b99868d22ca2a91f9a5ab.png

Big Randy at track day:

image.thumb.png.d2f6ed4438ac33f6f98fcd4c4efc4036.png

• Like 1
Rockosmith
15 minutes ago, Lowndes said:

"5 Liters of 95% Aviators Breathing Oxygen"

If I am not mistaken, aviators breathing oxygen is dry, unlike medical O2. Coupled with the naturally arid climate in the Rockies I have found nasal saline spray to be very beneficial to keep nasal passages from drying out and cracking.

• Like 2
10 hours ago, roadscholar said:

No need for a GPS, there are very few paved roads in western Colorado. Get a map and ride these roads, you can venture East or West of the loop but you'll end up a long ways from base so plan accordingly. The loop could take 2 or 3 days to ride at a leisurely pace (fuel, food, and photos) so split it up as you see fit.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1dPvbM86YX8knvRAyKg-EZEAVQqk5PSg&usp=sharing

Tried the downloads, but it's a .gpx file, so cannot open it (as expected). But I could see the map you linked above, which is all I needed. THANK YOU! But there's no way I could base camp at Purgatory; it'd have to be at Ridgway as a minimum north, or maybe even Montrose, to be able to do the northern and eastern routes (or pieces of them). The 550/50/149/160 loop is 380 miles (8 hours), so wouldn't be able to do that with any base... but could make it to Lake City from Ridgway, and also ride the best portion of 92 and back, for a 311-mile loop. And similarly with 114, and other modifications. And for sure the San Juan Skyway loop, which is 232 miles / 5 hrs. For the whole route you linked (which would be awesome), I'd have to do it with my cousin (instead of the wife), buy the BMW cases, and find where to leave both our SUVs and foldable Kendon trailers for a few days, while sleeping away for 2 to 3 nights. From Purgatory, I'd only be able to do the San Juan Skyway, and ride south, which I already know. Need to rethink what to do if I go those days, and what the wife would do in Purgatory too (she'd stay behind). Will keep you posted. But thank you for the help. And yes, no need for a GPS on the bike in that area, like I suspected:thumbsup:.

9 hours ago, Rockosmith said:

If I am not mistaken, aviators breathing oxygen is dry, unlike medical O2. Coupled with the naturally arid climate in the Rockies I have found nasal saline spray to be very beneficial to keep nasal passages from drying out and cracking.

Having lived in Golden and working at 8,000' elevation for 6 years, I agree with the nasal saline spray as a basic aid.  Not trying to scare anyone, but altitude sickness is serious, so take any precautions to prevent it, and drink lots of water....and enjoy the beauty that surrounds you!

• Like 2
roadscholar
6 hours ago, ELP said:

Tried the downloads, but it's a .gpx file, so cannot open it (as expected). But I could see the map you linked above, which is all I needed. THANK YOU! But there's no way I could base camp at Purgatory; it'd have to be at Ridgway as a minimum north, or maybe even Montrose, to be able to do the northern and eastern routes (or pieces of them). The 550/50/149/160 loop is 380 miles (8 hours), so wouldn't be able to do that with any base... but could make it to Lake City from Ridgway, and also ride the best portion of 92 and back, for a 311-mile loop. And similarly with 114, and other modifications. And for sure the San Juan Skyway loop, which is 232 miles / 5 hrs. For the whole route you linked (which would be awesome), I'd have to do it with my cousin (instead of the wife), buy the BMW cases, and find where to leave both our SUVs and foldable Kendon trailers for a few days, while sleeping away for 2 to 3 nights. From Purgatory, I'd only be able to do the San Juan Skyway, and ride south, which I already know. Need to rethink what to do if I go those days, and what the wife would do in Purgatory too (she'd stay behind). Will keep you posted. But thank you for the help. And yes, no need for a GPS on the bike in that area, like I suspected:thumbsup:.

The loop is just to point out where the best roads are in western Colorado for you or anyone else interested. Where to stay and how to split it up is optional and varies with the rider(s). There’s a month and a half left to work on it and appears you’ve already started, good luck and have fun. The most obvious would be to divide into 4 quadrants using 550 and 50 as out or return routes. Lmk if you have any questions, I’ve ridden about 95% of those roads at different times although it’s been years (decades) for some of them.

ok I also use Rever, and I know other rides use google maps.  I am sure there are other mapping programs to be used.

These other mapping software programs will NOT import the current GPX file, as they are limited to one route per GPX file.

With the approval from the Administrators, I will download each route individually, post it to the board, and those that want to use other mapping software will have that capability.

• Like 1
chrisolson
1 hour ago, randy said:

With the approval from the Administrators

Go for it ....

• Like 1
47 minutes ago, Dennis Andress said:

@randy  That's a lot of driving around in circles..

Hey, it's fun to do nice roads both ways; they feel completely different, at least to me:D. Anyway, to maximize the twisty fun, meaning avoiding boring loops when only a fraction is fun, I started doing the fun portions both ways in the Hill Country, and enjoyed it a lot more. Below is an example of one ride I mapped, where I'd do all 3 fun parts (50, 92, and 145) both ways. But what I might do on that 145 ride, is not do 92, so I can explore 145 further south, at least to the continental divide, which looks really fun too. And I'd do the same with 114, which is only fun while meandering in the middle of the 2 mountains, and on that one ride, I'd throw 92 as shown below both ways, for a total of around 300 miles. Lots of options :).

This is an awesome crowd; looking forward to meet you all soon. Hope I can make it, but will keep working on the routes, since I eventually want to go back there. I only went once on a bike for 6 days with a riding buddy (before he moved to Austin) like 20 years ago, and from El Paso, so lost a lot of time and days just to get there; missed some great roads.

CO-1.JPG

59 minutes ago, Dennis Andress said:

@randy  That's a lot of driving around in circles..

image.thumb.png.9944281a9ef4ed3e1d68a67fd55508e1.png

image.png.4d589fed12f8172276e0e5dec70f587f.png

Dennis you may have missed it, but because of the distances and the people in my group, we are doing what is known as a Gypsy rally.

so Saturday we ride one way from Durango to Gunnison
Sunday we ride one way from Gunnison to Fruita
Monday we ride one way from Fruita to Moab

Tuesday we ride one way from Moab to Purgatory Resort
Wednesday we are doing the Train ride out of Durango
Thursday is a "loop" route
Firday is a loop route
Saturday we head home
I included a lot of routes that other members provided (that my group will not be riding) for other UnRally attendees to have options.

If anyone has any suggestions/updates to any route they see, please let me know.  I can update as needed and post an updated GPX file.

But as of now my 6 routes are set in stone.  All the other routes in the GPX file are just there to help other UnRally attendees see what is available.  

of course, for this trip I am not bringing my dual sport bike, so no off road for me.  I do wish I could spend two weeks there, one week street riding and one week off roading, but alas vacation time and vacation disposable money are limited.   :-)

Dennis Andress
12 minutes ago, randy said:

Dennis you may have missed it, but because of the distances and the people in my group, we are doing what is known as a Gypsy rally.

so Saturday we ride one way from Durango to Gunnison
Sunday we ride one way from Gunnison to Fruita
Monday we ride one way from Fruita to Moab

Tuesday we ride one way from Moab to Purgatory Resort
Wednesday we are doing the Train ride out of Durango
Firday is a loop route
Saturday we head home
I included a lot of routes that other members provided (that my group will not be riding) for other UnRally attendees to have options.

If anyone has any suggestions/updates to any route they see, please let me know.  I can update as needed and post an updated GPX file.

But as of now my 6 routes are set in stone.  All the other routes in the GPX file are just there to help other UnRally attendees see what is available.  

of course, for this trip I am not bringing my dual sport bike, so no off road for me.  I do wish I could spend two weeks there, one week street riding and one week off roading, but alas vacation time and vacation disposable money are limited.   :-)

I did see that. To me it still sounds like ya'll are trying to do an enhanced version of the Utah "See five national parks in five days" thing. I'll look forward to the ride tale.

This looks like a fun day ride. It'll be nice to see the west side of the Black Canyon of the Gunnison.

image.thumb.png.90a76e655b58a701b2d9a66de89d655f.png

Dennis Andress

State Routes 141 to Gateway is a great place to hoon...    The Gateway museum is worth an hour or so of your time, and the restaurant is above average. 

image.thumb.png.7919943f09d6cf4ac3502b94a6bd3900.png

• Plus 1 1
2 hours ago, randy said:

Firday is a loop route

Hey Randy, which loops are you guys doing those 2 days? I assume the San Juan Skyway (550/62/145/Mesa Verde/160), and I threw Mesa Verde in there, because without it, it's just 230 miles. Plus those 30 or 45 miles (if you want to ride all the twisted sections - see map below) are awesome, with incredible views. But curious which other loop.

2 hours ago, Dennis Andress said:

This looks like a fun day ride. It'll be nice to see the west side of the Black Canyon of the Gunnison.

Indeed, but at 380 miles, and 8+ hours of just riding (plus stops), doesn't sound safe to me. You'd hit deer's active hours morning and afternoon. But looks like a super fun loop indeed. My max with so many curves is 300 miles, and that's already pushing my luck IMO.

2 hours ago, Dennis Andress said:

State Routes 141 to Gateway is a great place to hoon...    The Gateway museum is worth an hour or so of your time, and the restaurant is above average.

Thank you for that tip. And yes, 141 up to Gateway looks like a must-do ride. But I have a question for you guys: The map Randy posted has a very nice twisty stretch further north of 141... but seems like it's not paved. I'm talking about road 31 4/10, which deviates from 141 at Cactus Park to about Tabeguache trail (before Whitewater). If it's paved, and nice, I'd try to do it. Otherwise, I'd just do 141 up to Gateway, and head back. Thank you.

10 hours ago, roadscholar said:

Lmk if you have any questions, I’ve ridden about 95% of those roads at different times although it’s been years (decades) for some of them.

Thank you Bill. I have a question for you, so everybody can benefit: Which are the absolute must-do roads (or stretches of roads) worth doing for twisty fun? Let me add my observations, and feel free to add, remove, or expand:

65 from Orchard City (including Old Goat Trail) to just past Mesa (at the junction with 70)

92 from Sapinero to about halfway to Hotchkiss

145 basically all

550 from Purgatory to Ouray... but the entire San Juan Skyway (550/62/145/Mesa Verde/160) is really nice.

The Mesa Verde twisties, from 160 to the Far View Lodge, is about 15 miles/30 min, times 2, of course. If you continue on Wetherill Rd to ride the twisties (towards the Step House), it'd be 22.5 miles/45 min, times 2.

141 from Uravan to Gateway

114 from 50 to just past the mountains (get flat after that)

CO-2.JPG

Dennis Andress
12 minutes ago, ELP said:

... but at 380 miles, and 8+ hours of just riding (plus stops), doesn't sound safe to me. You'd hit deer's active hours morning and afternoon. 

..The map Randy posted has a very nice twisty stretch further north of 141... but seems like it's not paved. I'm talking about road 31 4/10, which deviates from 141 at Cactus Park to about Tabeguache trail....

I'm thinking along the lines of fun filled days, not overnight excursions. So, yeah, these will be long days of hard riding.

Did you look at google?
image.thumb.png.127bd639eb30339a1dfa16e9653cb12b.png

Taylor Lake is beautiful; well worth the day.

image.thumb.png.e142c29c5e6d6f5280d7cc3dbafd6dbb.png

the routes that have a date in them are the routes my group will be riding.
i.e 1_Saturday_20230622
2_Sunday_20230623

etc will be the 6 routes we ride.

all other routes were recommended by locals, and are posted as a service to UnRally Attendees.

• Thanks 1
roadscholar
5 hours ago, ELP said:

Thank you Bill. I have a question for you, so everybody can benefit: Which are the absolute must-do roads (or stretches of roads) worth doing for twisty fun?

Pretty much the map I linked above and similar to what you posted with a couple exceptions. If starting in Ridgway I'd ride the route clockwise starting with 141 then 65, and 92 then back on 50 to 550. I don't know the mileage but SOP (seat of the pants) says that would make a good day, all three of those have sections of greatness (edit, just checked, 364 miles, def a full day, don't dally around : )

Continuing clockwise back east on 50 to 149, the section to Lake City is nice then the climb over Slumgullion Pass and down into Creede even better then levels out to Southfork. 160 S over Wolf Creek Pass to Pagosa Springs and then it starts getting increasingly built up into Durango. One side loop worth taking would be S on 84 to Chama, NM then 17 north back thru Del Norte or south on 285 at Antonito and 64 back into to Chama, either way will add several hours to an already longish day but all those roads are def worth riding sooner or later, hwy 17 and that section of 64 are particularly scenic. (edit, the Lake City loop back thru Durango to Ridgway is 377 miles, the Chama-Del Norte-Pagosa Springs side loop is 212 miles (4 hours) and the Chama-Antonio-64-Pagosa Springs loop is 233 so well outside most people's comfort zone, might consider those as a separate destination).

114 didn't impress me much, if I were east of Gunnison I'd take the road from Parlin to Pitkin and get a BBQ sandwich or burger at the general store then maybe ride to the top of Monarch Pass and turn around, it may be the best flowing 12 miles of multi lane pavement in the Rockies, could be busy but having 2 lanes going up makes it a lot of fun. You can keep a KLR pinned the entire time : )

IMG_1325.JPG

View from the top looking East.

IMG_0997.JPG

I haven't done that little road you posted south of Mesa Verde but it looks interesting, 145 over Lizard Head Pass is scenic and a stop in Telluride obligatory if you haven't seen it.

145 looking south toward Lizard Head.

404.jpg

and North coming into Telluride.

401.jpg

Downtown.

428.jpg

• Like 1
  • Plus 1 1
6 hours ago, Dennis Andress said:

Did you look at google?

Yeah, and it doesn't look paved to me... BUT it could be. A simple 'yes' or 'no' would suffice:D. The entire route is supposed to be paved, hence my confusion. Hope it is, since Google is not always up to date. A fantastic road from Sun Spot to Timberon, in Cloudcroft NM, took a long time to show paved. And same thing with another great road right off Alpine, AZ (Three Forks Road). If that road is not paved, I probably wouldn't venture past Gateway.

I like to limit technical riding at 300 miles a day, especially in unfamiliar places... and that might be too many, if curves are particularly tight. I don't want to be on the bike either too early, or too late, when deer (and other animals) start coming out. So no night riding for me. And yes, I can do just snacks while riding for minimal stopping on long days (which is what I do when riding alone)... but I take my time at fuel stops, to clean my helmet, hydrate, go to the bathroom, etc. But if riding with a group, obviously prefer a relaxed (albeit quick) lunch:grin:. Dinner definitely relaxed, once off the bike.

Hey guys, have 2 semi-related questions. First, about how many of you make it to this rally? An approximation would be perfectly fine. Hopefully not too many, as to not attract cops there, which would suck. Not that any of us would be riding like maniacs, but doubt anybody here would strictly stick to the speed limit either. Ha ha. And that brings me to my second question. If anybody knows where cops like to lurk, it'd be great to know. I do not ride with anything on my bike, including a radar detector (I do use it on my cars when traveling)... and that keeps me alert all the time. And so far, I still have a perfect driving record, and would like to keep it that way. He he. Thanks gang. 

Trying to sort through all this routing chatter.  A few points.  Wetherill Mesa in Mesa Verde, including Step House, is closed to the public for the entire summer and possibly next year, too.  I think this likely means the Wetherill Mesa Rd is closed in it's entirety.  A sad situation since Step House is the only ruin you could visit without a reservation, and the road was good riding (but for the traffic).  Mesa Verde in general has considerable summer traffic and the roads are enticing, but don't plan on getting anywhere fast.

Regarding Randy's route on the north end of 141 from Cactus Park.  IMHO, just stay on 141.  All will be well.  I'm not sure how or why Randy got that off highway bit in there, but from satellite view I'd say it's clearly dirt.  I've ridden 141 many times and have no recollection of any paved rd paralleling it in that location. 

160 from Pagosa Springs to Durango is often congested in the summer.  160 in general is not particularly interesting riding, IMHO.  

I rarely see law enforcement on the rural parts of these routes.  I personally obey speed limits in and approaching communities.  There is another thread with an attendance list.

road 31 4/10, which deviates from 141 at Cactus Park to about Tabeguache trail..

not sure why your Base Camp is showing this, you may want to update to the recent version, but on my BaseCamp the route stays on 141 all the way from Gateway to Hwy 50

thanks

• Like 1
roadscholar

There aren't any paved roads on either side of 141 between Nucla and US50, there are some nice dirt ones though and have ridden several of them.

092.JPG

141 in the distant valley.

080.JPG

• Like 1
  • Plus 1 1

Yes, if I had two weeks to spend out there and I could bring my dual sport bike with me, I would have two completely different set of routes

👍😀

so test fitting of bikes is done, lots of internal discussions among our group regarding dehydration and altitude adjustments.
all routes are created.
Everyone has oil changes, chain adjustments and new tires mounted planned. 

Can July 20 get here quicker  :-)

IMG_2563.JPG

• Like 1
Dennis Andress

Raise your hand if you have to ride through Kansas to get to or from the UN. I've no idea if there is a way to avoid Dodge City, but a couple of us followed Whip to Cañon City, Colorado last year. A ride up Skyline Drive was a sweet way to say goodbye to the mountains.

image.thumb.png.f3baef17de3145e1640ecb37f582a408.png

As is his nature Whip didn't take the easy way. Cottonwood Pass lays between Buena Vista and Taylor Lake. The pavement down the west side of the pass is only two years old. Pretend you are 30 something again and riding an R6...

image.thumb.png.770aa7775b313de2509512e01d316985.png

The track above ends at Purgatory and is 290 miles long. Cañon City isn't a bad place to spend a night.  

I put this track in the Downloads forum.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
lawnchairboy

Infinite options.  I'll be doing some EZ bike bike friendly dirt if I recall the routes OK.  If not, I suppose I'll get lost....  

• Like 3
  • Plus 1 1
1 hour ago, Dennis Andress said:

... Cañon City isn't a bad place to spend a night.... 

Unless you're in prison.

• Haha 2
Dennis Andress
9 minutes ago, Cap said:

Unless you're in prison.

That could be a lifestyle improvement.

roadscholar

The baddest dudes are/were in the Canon City pen. We had a waitress in Guffey once that had been a guard there, I asked her if they had anyone famous, she said oh yeah Ted Kaczynski (unabomber), Jeffrey Dahmer, and Ted Bundy. I said damn that must’ve been kinda scary, she said yes it was.

• Thinking 1
4 hours ago, Dennis Andress said:

Raise your hand if you have to ride through Kansas to get to or from the UN. I've no idea if there is a way to avoid Dodge City, but a couple of us followed Whip to Cañon City, Colorado last year. A ride up Skyline Drive was a sweet way to say goodbye to the mountains.

image.thumb.png.f3baef17de3145e1640ecb37f582a408.png

As is his nature Whip didn't take the easy way. Cottonwood Pass lays between Buena Vista and Taylor Lake. The pavement down the west side of the pass is only two years old. Pretend you are 30 something again and riding an R6...

image.thumb.png.770aa7775b313de2509512e01d316985.png

The track above ends at Purgatory and is 290 miles long. Cañon City isn't a bad place to spend a night.  

I put this track in the Downloads forum.

I also have this basic route in my GPX file.  so many options to find/ride this great route.  :-)

roadscholar

It's been a decade (I think) when a motley crew ascended Cottonwood Pass at a previous Unrally. Only the east side was paved then so the hooning was curtailed substantially on the way back down to the lake. Probably ridden it 20-30 times but not since the west half was paved, it is very curvaceous and should be a lot of fun going up or down.

084.jpg

099.jpg

108.jpg

• Like 3
15 hours ago, Twisties said:

Wetherill Mesa in Mesa Verde, including Step House, is closed to the public for the entire summer and possibly next year, too. Mesa Verde in general has considerable summer traffic and the roads are enticing, but don't plan on getting anywhere fast.

I've ridden 141 many times and have no recollection of any paved rd paralleling it in that location. 

160 from Pagosa Springs to Durango is often congested in the summer.

I rarely see law enforcement on the rural parts of these routes.  I personally obey speed limits in and approaching communities. 

There is another thread with an attendance list.

Thank you for your input. I can tell you that even without Wetherill Rd available, it'd still be well worth the effort to ride to Far View Lodge in Palo Verde, which is 30 miles both ways. I've done it twice on a bike, and basically zero traffic (just passed like 2 vehicles)... but on weekdays. Don't remember when exactly, but it definitely was in summer, since it was HOT. The trick is to go early, not only to beat the heat, but any traffic later on too. And no, I wouldn't go there on a weekend, at any time indeed.

Thank you for confirming the 31 road off 141 is dirt, just like I thought. Maybe it's something weird with Google maps... but now we all know:thumbsup:.

Pagosa to Durango has always been congested indeed, no matter when, so I agree not much fun to be had there, even on weekdays... although less congested for sure. And it's hard to pass, even on a bike, with all the traffic both ways. Maybe from Pagosa to South Fork is less congested, but have never done that (want to remedy that. Ha ha).

And glad to hear about the cops. I've been there several times on sports cars, and never gotten a ticket... BUT was alone (with my wife). Police departments are known to peruse forums and flood rally areas with cops, for revenue enhancement. That's why I was asking more or less how many have attended in the past, out of curiosity. But hopefully not too many, to be under the radar:grin:.

So your group will be 4, Randy? Bikes look good. My ex-K1300S was identical to the 2nd one from the right. The Tracer should be a sweet bike for the twisties. If I make it, it'd be nice to tag along with somebody for one of the mandatory loops. I should know if I can make it soon, but definitely looking forward to it. Need to start inquiring about what wife can do in Purgatory while I ride. Might have to stay in Durango if necessary, which we've visited several times. We always stay downtown (Double Tree, General Palmer, Club Wyndham, etc), where we can walk to the many restaurants, and bicycle rentals too. Might try an airbnb with a garage this time.

• Like 1

image.thumb.jpeg.3128789ecbdf89b662280a81505663ba.jpeg

The gas chamber at the museum of prisons in Canon City.  It’s a quirky side trip, if you want a break from the saddle.

cap

• 2 weeks later...

Early on there was a lot of talk about riding the high pass Jeep roads in the area.  We had a near record snowpack this winter, and I wasn't sure about them opening anytime soon.  But, Ouray Co. announced this week that Engineer is now open, along with most of the others.  So, IDK if anyone is still thinking of riding those, but they should be good to go.  Note:  Black Bear is in San Miguel Co, and not covered by the announcement.  I doubt it is open at this time.  Corkscrew and a few others in Ouray Co. remain closed, but there should be plenty of available riding.

Personally, I sold my KTM 350 and will be on my GS.  Not planning to take it up there, but I am looking forward to Last Dollar and Owl Creek.

roadscholar
37 minutes ago, Twisties said:

Early on there was a lot of talk about riding the high pass Jeep roads in the area.  We had a near record snowpack this winter, and I wasn't sure about them opening anytime soon.  But, Ouray Co. announced this week that Engineer is now open, along with most of the others.  So, IDK if anyone is still thinking of riding those, but they should be good to go.  Note:  Black Bear is in San Miguel Co, and not covered by the announcement.  I doubt it is open at this time.  Corkscrew and a few others in Ouray Co. remain closed, but there should be plenty of available riding.

Personally, I sold my KTM 350 and will be on my GS.  Not planning to take it up there, but I am looking forward to Last Dollar and Owl Creek.

Another easy one is Divide Rd Jan, you can access it from almost across the road from the north end of Last Dollar, it's well over 100 miles so check your fuel. It extends the entire length of the Uncompahgre Plateau ending near the north end of 141 but much of it is at 10k so might still be impassable but def worth checking. Another one near there is Lands End Rd that climbs the west side of Grand Mesa but you're getting into a long day with that.

Lands End Rd looking west at the Uncompahgre.

108.JPG

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Twisties said:

Early on there was a lot of talk about riding the high pass Jeep roads in the area.  We had a near record snowpack this winter, and I wasn't sure about them opening anytime soon.  But, Ouray Co. announced this week that Engineer is now open, along with most of the others.

Yep, with a month yet to go , hopefully most all will be open.... want to do Ophir and Imogene as a one day loop ... and thing else just a bonus.

• Like 2
roadscholar
3 hours ago, chrisolson said:

Yep, with a month yet to go , hopefully most all will be open.... want to do Ophir and Imogene as a one day loop ... and thing else just a bonus.

Ophir will likely be open, Imogene will be the iffy one at 13k, it usually doesn't open till early July in a normal year. You could probably do Black Bear and come back on Ophir, if you make it to Telluride : )

I hope this guy gets paid well.

roadscholar

It can change weekly, those town’s economies are tied to those passes being open during the season so they have plenty of incentive to get them open as soon as possible..

• Like 1
roadscholar

Surprised Corkscrew got so much snow, maybe because it's west facing, this is what it's supposed to look like although it was September.

1077.JPG 

And a couple years earlier in July.

032.jpg

lawnchairboy
On 6/15/2023 at 3:41 PM, Twisties said:

there, but I am looking forward to Last Dollar and Owl Creek.

EZ roads for big GS.   Owl creek for sure.  There was one small section of last dollar I remember that was rocky on an uphill (south to north) .   I was on a DR650 I think. 

• Like 1
lawnchairboy

Owl creek “pass” has no real vista view but leads to beautiful roads to silver jack res and all the way up to 50 west of the black canyon. Lots of neat formations and stuff to look at, it is open range so you may meet some cows.  And to the meadow area where true grit scenes were made.  Several shooting locales along last dollar as well from the same flick.  It is truly gorgeous 

• Like 1