IGNORED

UnRally Chatter

chrisolson

roadscholar
5 hours ago, lawnchairboy said:

EZ roads for big GS.   Owl creek for sure.  There was one small section of last dollar I remember that was rocky on an uphill (south to north) .   I was on a DR650 I think. 

I've long since lost my photos but these are the Cimarrons, the main attraction to riding over Owl Creek Pass and down the east side. The 1st one is the cover photo for Colorado's Benchmark Atlas.

e24e104848430bad4b25fc0de54d2ee3.jpg

a968feb68f0e57530f81c96ecfc0321b.jpg

and a few of mine from Last Dollar Rd.

467.jpg

480.jpg

481.jpg

489.jpg

492.jpg

500.jpg

512.jpg

516.jpg

544.jpg

553.jpg 

• Like 6
Dennis Andress

Has anyone mentioned tire wear? @Whip knows the names of the material used for road construction in Colorado and Utah, but at Torrey we just call it velcro.

7517CB47-6EBF-4040-9991-569A745C4472_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.a08a5b71bdf80506e03dfee6abed8aad.jpeg

I mention that to bring up something different - an easy(ish) ride to Utah. There is good food in Monticello. You must get gas in Blanding....

image.thumb.png.274a5343f31ea37a3a938e36341d53ab.png

...  Utah offers mostly excellent road surface, sight lines that go on forever, and the opportunity to set your cruise control with three digits.

8E5868EF-609A-42A7-946C-104D7EED1230_1_102_a.thumb.jpeg.1de22c62d70ffc8c4923c65017325991.jpeg

• Like 8
On 6/21/2023 at 9:37 PM, roadscholar said:

I've long since lost my photos but these are the Cimarrons, the main attraction to riding over Owl Creek Pass and down the east side. The 1st one is the cover photo for Colorado's Benchmark Atlas.

e24e104848430bad4b25fc0de54d2ee3.jpg

a968feb68f0e57530f81c96ecfc0321b.jpg

and a few of mine from Last Dollar Rd.

467.jpg

480.jpg

481.jpg

489.jpg

492.jpg

500.jpg

512.jpg

516.jpg

544.jpg

553.jpg 

Great photos Bill...love the Aspens 

• Like 3
21 hours ago, Dennis Andress said:

I mention that to bring up something different - an easy(ish) ride to Utah. There is good food in Monticello. You must get gas in Blanding....

image.thumb.png.274a5343f31ea37a3a938e36341d53ab.png

We go by the center route, marked 4 hr 23 min.  Road surface is rough in some areas, but it's paved, remote, a bit twisty in parts, and moderately scenic.  There is a nice pictograph panel at the Utah/Colorado St line.  You can go up the Yellowjacket dirt road about 200 yards until you see a trail on your right going up to a boulder.  The pictographs are on the boulder.  You can also stop at Hovenweep National Monument if you like.  There is fuel on the reservation at White Mesa, so if you go that way you don't need to go up into Blanding for gas before heading out to Hite.  

If you like to ride a bit further, turn around at Hog Springs instead of Hite.  Another nice pictograph, the Moquii Queen is visible with binoculars from the highway (or you can hike to it) about a hundred yards from the parking area.  It's up in the big grotto there.  

Moquii Queen:

_B7A2748.jpg

• Like 3

The route might be pretty toasty warm in mid-summer.  Possibly very toasty warm.  We usually go that way in spring or fall.  Elevation is everything around here and that gets as low as it gets as you cross the Colorado at Lake Powell.  

• 2 weeks later...

Speaking of toasty weather....  The El Nino has set in in the S. Pacific.  El Nino's strongest effects in N. America are in the winter, but one summer effect that sometimes occurs with El Nino is a weakening or disruption of the N. American Monsoon.  After a pleasant cool and wet spring, our local weather in the region's valleys has been dominated by hot, dry and windy afternoons with Red Flag Warnings.  Mountain towns and higher elevations are cooler, but also dry.  We had some unusual early monsoon activity in May, they called it the "Maysoon," before the El Nino was called, but that shut down and the present pattern set in mid-June.  The ten day forecast continues bone dry, even in mountain locations, with highs near 80 F in mountain towns and near 100 F in valley locations.  Desert locations may see temps well above 100 F. 

It's too early still to say what's in store for us at the UnRally which is 16 days out, but the current weather pattern seems to be well entrenched.  In 2020 something like this persisted all summer and we had the "Nonsoon."  

Meanwhile, wildflowers are reported to be out in the high country, and I hope to get out with my camera soon and take a look.  

Imogene, Ophir and Black Bear passes remain closed.  Most of the other passes are open, but conditions are said to be rough, with large areas of standing water on some.  Ouray Co. has completed it's side of Imogene and we are waiting on San Miguel Co. to finish it's side of the pass.  They haven't given a date, but it sounds like they are getting close.  Haven't seen an update on Ophir.

• Like 2
chrisolson
14 hours ago, Twisties said:

Imogene, Ophir and Black Bear passes remain closed.  Most of the other passes are open, but conditions are said to be rough, with large areas of standing water on some.  Ouray Co. has completed it's side of Imogene and we are waiting on San Miguel Co. to finish it's side of the pass.  They haven't given a date, but it sounds like they are getting close.  Haven't seen an update on Ophir.

Not interested in Black Bear, but definitely following the progress of Ophir (west side open) and Imogene .  Engineer is reported open but rough.  Hurricane, Corkscrew and California appear to be open as alternatives as well as many others.  Still time for melting and plowing to open things up !

• Like 1
roadscholar

Engineer and Cinnamon are def rough from Animas Forks to the summits. Corkscrew, Hurricane, Calif is the best route to get to AF (more scenic and more fun), the last part of the climb to Hurricane is pretty rocky but worth it because the section between it an California is spectacular. I’m betting Ophir will be open by then and probably before Imogene, would be nice to do one over and the other back though.

chrisolson

1 hour ago, roadscholar said:

I’m betting Ophir will be open by then and probably before Imogene, would be nice to do one over and the other back though.

That was my original plan ...  hope its available

1 hour ago, roadscholar said:

Corkscrew, Hurricane, Calif is the best route to get to AF (more scenic and more fun), the last part of the climb to Hurricane is pretty rocky but worth it because the section between it an California is spectacular. 

Definitely now on the list ... 

• Like 1

This is beginning to sound like a dirt-oriented rally.  I know some people have been turned off by that. But I want to encourage the paved-only riders among us.  First, there are awesome paved routes that have been discussed earlier.  And second, all the mountain towns in the area rent jeeps and 4-wheelers for exploring the trails.  And finally, there are several great tour companies that will drive you into the remote basins and teach you some local history.  The wildflowers can be really spectacular.

Imogene.png.3fc634bd1c203dcb91395db38cd95400.png

• Like 2
lawnchairboy

Ride on pavement over to teluride, have lunch, tour company in Teluride will put you (4-6peeps) in an open top jeep and run you to the top and back down from Imogene.   13k+.   Beautiful.  

on the way up look for black bear pass off to the right , and then probably decide you don’t have any desire to ride it…. :)

• Like 2
  • Plus 1 1
lawnchairboy
On 6/25/2023 at 7:02 AM, Limecreek said:

That sounds like a good idea Dennis. 

image.thumb.jpeg.41900666370518123c44247e6c490d26.jpeg

That is approaching my favorite high speed long left hander …

• Like 1
chrisolson
12 minutes ago, Cap said:

This is beginning to sound like a dirt-oriented rally.

Not really ... my discussion of high mountain passes is based on the fact I'm not riding but instead driving my Jeep ... hence the interest in jeep trails but they can also can be done with dirt bikes ....

roadscholar
3 hours ago, Cap said:

This is beginning to sound like a dirt-oriented rally.  I know some people have been turned off by that.

Had you glanced through the thread you'd have realized in this instance we were referring to 4x4's and not dirt bikes instead of assuming otherwise. While the pros and cons of riding either a dirt or Adv bike on the many different passes has been discussed, there is a small group planning on doing some of the more difficult ones on four wheels, which at most of our ages is the best way to enjoy them. 

• Plus 1 1

Actually, I hadn't realized that either, about the Jeeps.  I just include the pass info because I knew some were interested.  I won't ride them any more, myself.  But will consider some of the easier roads.  Today we did 611 to 533 (Dunton to Groundhog Reservoir) in the truck.  I believe parts of it might be on the COBDR.  In any event we remarked that we could have done it in the Miata or on the GS's.  Well maintained gravel road.  I would ride that, and I think Last Dollar and Owl Creek are all easy dirt.  But, I expect the vast majority of us are riding street.  

If anyone has room for Sharon and I in their Jeep, lets talk.  We might be up for that one or two days.  But not Black Bear. 

_B7A2843-Pano.jpg

_B7A2860.jpg

2 hours ago, Twisties said:

If anyone has room for Sharon and I in their Jeep, lets talk.  We might be up for that one or two days.  But not Black Bear. 

I've heard some rumblings from others possibly looking to ride along also so its TBD depending on actual interest and availability.

Not doing Black Bear even if open ... so no worries ... my main goal was to run Ophir, Imogene and Engineer as they are  trails that you get a physical badge from Jeep for completing .  Silly, but hey, why not. Although there obviously are a lot of other great trails to explore that appear to be open like the Corkscrew/Hurricane/America option.

My rig .. pretty much stock except winch and additional skid plates front and rear.

MyJeep.JPG

roadscholar
On 1/12/2023 at 11:43 PM, chrisolson said:

Thanks Bill ... I'll need to put those on my list along with Ophir and Imogene ... we will be just Jeeping it ... no bike this time.

Have to admit Chris' first post on the subject was back on page two so w/o reading the entire thread could've been missed, I just remembered it as being noteworthy : )

I will be staying in Durango on Friday 7/21.  Should be getting in around 6pm.

I was wondering about a good dinner recommendation.  If we end up getting in later say around 8pm we will probably just pick up something quick/fast

but if we get in around 6pm (as planned) we are looking for a good dinner recommendation in Durango

thanks

1 hour ago, randy said:

I will be staying in Durango on Friday 7/21.  Should be getting in around 6pm.

I was wondering about a good dinner recommendation.  If we end up getting in later say around 8pm we will probably just pick up something quick/fast

but if we get in around 6pm (as planned) we are looking for a good dinner recommendation in Durango

thanks

https://www.orehouserestaurant.com/

One of the best restaurants I have ever been too.

4 minutes ago, Whip said:

that does look great and I had already seen that one when I did a best restaurants in Durango search. 

You live in an IRS tax bracket different from me :-)
looking for something decent, maybe two steps lower on the cost level,   :-), but thanks for confirming what I had seen in the reviews.  It is very highly recommended.

4 minutes ago, randy said:

that does look great and I had already seen that one when I did a best restaurants in Durango search. 

You live in an IRS tax bracket different from me :-)
looking for something decent, maybe two steps lower on the cost level,   :-), but thanks for confirming what I had seen in the reviews.  It is very highly recommended.

https://www.jamesranch.net/grill

I ate here a couple weeks ago really liked it.

Much closer to the event location.

In Durango we like Serious Texas BBQ, Zia Taqueria, and May Palace for inexpensive and unpretentious eats.  Near the train station in the morning try Durango Bagel. I haven't eaten at Durango Bagel, but have taken a dozen home and they are not BINOs (bagel in name only), as so many are.  

21 hours ago, Whip said:

You might also take a look at Carvers on Main or Steamworks on East 2nd Ave. Both are brew pubs with mid priced meals. 11th Street Station on Main is also good. It is a group of food trucks with lots of different choices. Anywhere you go Friday night might be crowed.

• Like 1

The classic Torrey routes are

1. Highway 95 to Hite Overlook. Highway 95 is likely to be quite hot this time of year.
  2. UT-72 from Fremont to I-70 (Sweeper Madness), with or without the Fish Lake Loop.
  3. UT-12 from Torrey to Escalante, with or without an out and back on the Burr Trail to the overlook before the pavement ends. 
  4. Some used to like to go farther, to Fairview for lunch.  That would be up Sweeper Madness, across I-70 and up to Huntington, then up UT-31.  It's a great ride but long to do round trip.   
  5. A newer road that's been paved is Gooseberry Ridge.  You access it from Fish Lake Loop and can loop back on Sweeper Madness.  I have yet to do this myself, but have been told it can be done.    

Getting there from Purgatory:  Consider going up CO-92 to CO-65 to I- 70, then down Sweeper Madness.   The other approach will take you on Hwy 95 and will be hot. Several ways to do this, but none are particularly spectacular.  

• Thanks 1
roadscholar
3 hours ago, MikeB60 said:

We are headed to Torrey for a few days after the Un. Any riding suggestions or routes would be appreciated!

2 hours ago, Twisties said:

Getting there from Purgatory:  Consider going up CO-92 to CO-65 to I- 70, then down Sweeper Madness.   The other approach will take you on Hwy 95 and will be hot. Several ways to do this, but none are particularly spectacular.  

If you're on your GS Mike I'd consider Valley of the Gods Rd and Moki Dugway to get up to 95, both are unpaved but Moki is easy, I haven't done VoG Rd but people do it in cars. Like Jan said it'll be hot but it is a dry heat : )

• Thanks 1
27 minutes ago, roadscholar said:

If you're on your GS Mike I'd consider Valley of the Gods Rd and Moki Dugway to get up to 95, both are unpaved but Moki is easy, I haven't done VoG Rd but people do it in cars. Like Jan said it'll be hot but it is a dry heat : )

Thanks! I'm ok with the heat after 3 years in the Middle East and almost 4 years in the Mojave. Think I'm bringing both bikes, DyAnne is not up for riding the Spyder but wants to ride two up for a few days and is spoiled by the GT.

roadscholar
6 minutes ago, MikeB60 said:

Thanks! I'm ok with the heat after 3 years in the Middle East and almost 4 years in the Mojave. Think I'm bringing both bikes, DyAnne is not up for riding the Spyder but wants to ride two up for a few days and is spoiled by the GT.

You could still do Moki Dugway on the GT Mike, not sure about Valley of the Gods

• Thanks 1

a lot of local's have given me food suggestions.  so I decided others might like the list so here it is, the city is noted first, then the name of the food establishment

Food list1.JPG

Food list2.JPG

• Like 1
20 hours ago, Twisties said:

A newer road that's been paved is Gooseberry Ridge.  You access it from Fish Lake Loop and can loop back on Sweeper Madness.  I have yet to do this myself, but have been told it can be done.    

I have done that road.  It is very nicely paved.  There was little traffic.  The scenery is pleasant but not remarkable.  The only problem is that it is a US Forest road, and the speed limits are very low.  In our case, after being responsible for a few miles, we decided to risk getting a speeding ticket and upped our pace to a reasonable rate for the conditions.

well I think I am ready, 

should have enough cord left for 8 days of riding.  I will bring some rubber cement just as a precaution.  :-)

IMG_2644.JPG

• Haha 1

ok I am now out.  My sister who I was very close with, passed away today.  She had been battling Cancer for the last 20 months.  two months ago we all felt it would be late September, early October. 

Unfortunately, she went downhill very fast over the last three weeks and passed away today.  So, I am headed off to Illinois on Thursday.  Everyone be safe, have fun, and I look forward to seeing many of you at next year's Un.  

John Ranalletta

Just spoke with my BIL who lives in Montrose.  He says US 50 is closed to east/west traffic . He thought it might be open on weekends but not sure.

Likely, @Whip is a better local info source.

image.thumb.png.4762130b82dbeed2f4a5f3083c399f26.png 

• Sad 1
John Ranalletta

Just rec'd this from BIL

I'd assume the alternating one-lane of traffic is using a pilot car, but not certain.  Regardless, long wait times are likely involved.

US50LB2023ScheduleRoadWork.webp.ff49ca45d3eceee2523c7cfb1f4b47c9.webp

Avoid it if you can.

Go south out of Salida and over Wolf Creek Pass to Durango or take 92 (Black Canyon) around to Delta.

….OR take a chance like hANNAbONE and I did for Torrey and sit on the bikes for over an hour waiting for our turn.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

ok so WOW, I am sure it was there when I reserved my room, but Purgatory is a 30 days cancellation policy NO OTHER OPTION. So I am out 1,000.00

So if anyone wants a room cheap I will change the reservation to your name and take 500.00,

arrival date is Tuesday 7/25 check out date is 7/29, but the dates can be altered without cost.

It is probably too late but I figured give it a try.  

• Sad 1