IGNORED

UnRally Chatter

chrisolson

15 hours ago, ** Chris ** said:

Who is the guy giving the victory sign?  Or is it bunny ears?  Maybe ordering two extra large café double mocha cappuccinos?  Did you take this at the drive through of Starbucks?

Close, the E. Tincup Starbucks was low on double mocha and said just one so it's probly good Whip didn't make it that far. 

190.jpg

15 hours ago, ** Chris ** said:

One of the most fun days I have had on a big bike!  Even though Whip ran off and left us!

Def a fun day, this was the last time I saw him.

121.jpg

When we got back that night I remember him saying, 'you guys were racing in the mud'. :)

134.jpg

14 hours ago, ** Chris ** said:

And that's not including my Skid Plate that fell off.

Think of all the crazy stuff that happened that day, first we went to the motel to see if TEWKS wanted to go (nobody knew his number), missed him but saw his bike outside a restaurant in Buena Vista 3 hours later, went in and got him.

078.jpg

LCB's DR650 couldn't get up the pass because it was jetted for sea level so he went back to Salida to get his GS and found your skid plate on the way back, he knew the route from a couple years earlier (and insisted it was the first thing we do in the bar the night before which turned out to be a good call), plus we ran into Mark on Cottonwood Pass going the other way..

099.jpg

Dave lost his tool kit but Pat found it..

167.jpg

Then I crashed in that goopy stuff on Old Monarch so we turned around (probably a good idea and might’ve kept us all from crashing) then got a big spike in my rear tire (or before) and limped back over Monarch on the shoulder with TEWKS in tow. One of those days you don't forget, hard to believe it was 10 years ago.

226.jpg

240.jpg

• Like 4
19 hours ago, lawnchairboy said:

that was a GREAT day.

too bad we can't take anybody up there anymore.

For sure, out of curiosity I just looked at Google Maps, it's not on there anymore except for satellite view.

If any Member wishes to upload and share a GPS route for the 2023 UnRally BMWST has a place to do it.

From the main menu select "Downloads" then click on 2023 Rally and follow instructions.    OR ...  click HERE

Screen Shot 2023-01-11 at 9.10.39 PM.png

NOTE: the menu selection Downloads is a bit if a misnomer ... ie a file is first "Uploaded" and stored in the appropriate folder and then can be "Downloaded". 

Actually, most any type of file can be uploaded and stored for later retrieval by Members.  A unique folder can also be created as needed.   Member generated content is allowed as long as it follows general BMWST posting guidelines .

That feature, along with the Gallery Feature can support any event and even individual Member albums (no current limitation on storage space). 

See some examples HERE.  A specific 2023 Gallery folder will be available as the event draws closer.

Screen Shot 2023-01-12 at 10.13.53 AM.png

• Like 3
On 12/12/2022 at 1:05 PM, Limecreek said:

Too soon to know, but I am leaning very much toward bringing the Bronco and pulling the bike(s). 

There are probably a few Lime Creek Roads around the country but coincidentally there is one nearly across the road from Purgatory. It was originally the old highway between Durango and Silverton, combine it with Bolam Pass and could make for some nice 4 wheeling or Adv bike exploring right out the back door.

https://www.jeeptheusa.com/lime-creek-road-20.html

views-from-the-road.jpg?w=1000&h=-1&s=1   

• Like 3

Thanks Bill ... I'll need to put those on my list along with Ophir and Imogene ... we will be just Jeeping it ... no bike this time.

• Like 1

Yes, thank you Bill.  I am definitely bringing the Bronco and towing the bikes.  Now I need to find a deal on a good used 2-place Kendon trailer. 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Limecreek said:

Yes, thank you Bill.  I am definitely bringing the Bronco and towing the bikes.  Now I need to find a deal on a good used 2-place Kendon trailer. 

I have a really nice 2 place (not a Kendon) trailer for sale over in the classified section, parts and accessories.

On 12/11/2022 at 8:04 PM, Twisties said:

Will there be any planned group dinners, bling, other events or any Rally Fee?  Is there a host?  Oh wait, maybe it's an UnRally!

What's your point, Jan?

• Haha 1

We're considering camping nearby.  Anybody else thinking same, know of good spots?  Haviland Lake Campground looks interesting.

20 hours ago, Ken S said:

We're considering camping nearby.  Anybody else thinking same, know of good spots?  Haviland Lake Campground looks interesting.

Hmmm..... maybe a good idea.  IDK the campground, but based on the map, that looks like the spot, assuming being close to the group is the priority. 

Campendium page on Haviland Lake Campground 

8 hours ago, Twisties said:

Hmmm..... maybe a good idea.  IDK the campground, but based on the map, that looks like the spot, assuming being close to the group is the priority. 

Campendium page on Haviland Lake Campground 

I've driven and ridden by it a few times, it looks really nice from the road, quite a ways down to the lake though. Getting a spot might prove difficult then, so sooner the better.

53ea3281ad60d5fad51e7c263b5609ca.jpg

10 hours ago, Twisties said:

Those are pretty far from Purgatory.  

The one is only 22 minutes.  Everything else is national forest and have no hookups.  No electricity or water.  Plus you are not guaranteed a spot. 

16 hours ago, roadscholar said:

Getting a spot might prove difficult then, so sooner the better.

Haviland Lake Campground has electricity, but apparently not water and sewer hookups.

You can reserve 6 months in advance, so window for Unrally should open next week.

• Like 1
19 hours ago, Ken S said:

Haviland Lake Campground has electricity, but apparently not water and sewer hookups.

You can reserve 6 months in advance, so window for Unrally should open next week.

I think we are going to use Westerly.  It is 30 min away and has full hookups.  If Haviland had water and a dump station I would go there because I have a waste hauler I could use to keep my tanks empty.  But not even a water spigot to fill my tanks is a stopper.  We do not have enough water to be dry to a full week.

• 2 weeks later...

I have posted some routes that I will be using for the UnRally.  You are welcome to download and adjust to fit your needs as appropriate.  If by chance you have any suggestions for improvements PM me, thanks

• Like 2

I live in Durango so need for a room but would like to attend a dinner or gathering. Do I need to be signed up for the UnRally to attend?

1 hour ago, AltaHills said:

I live in Durango so need for a room but would like to attend a dinner or gathering. Do I need to be signed up for the UnRally to attend?

No sign up to attend, just show up and get know us and/or ride with us.  But there might be a post later asking for a head count and/or signup for the group dinner so I'd keep an eye out for that just in case.  

2 hours ago, AltaHills said:

Hi!  We're in Cortez.  

35 minutes ago, TSConver said:

Anyone interested in hitting moab?  We will likely rent sxs for a day. 

What's "sxs?" 

Moab is quite low in elevation, being on the river.  Consequently, summers are hot.  100+ is very common in July-August.  

8 minutes ago, Twisties said:

What's "sxs?" 

Moab is quite low in elevation, being on the river.  Consequently, summers are hot.  100+ is very common in July-August.  

Side by side

Yep it can be warm but still going to go. 

• Like 1
On 1/29/2023 at 10:53 AM, TSConver said:

Anyone interested in hitting moab?  We will likely rent sxs for a day. 

If you check out the routes I posted I will be in Moab I think on Monday but that’s to visit Colorado national monument park and Arches national park

SxS sound fun but probably no time 

take pictures 👍

5 minutes ago, randy said:

If you check out the routes I posted I will be in Moab I think on Monday but that’s to visit Colorado national monument park and Arches national park

SxS sound fun but probably no time 

take pictures 👍

We are making this an extended vacation if all goes well.  % days for the unrally a couple days in the hurricane area to hopefully visit my son from Vegas and then a couple days in Moab before heading home.

I am looking for food recommendations.

Gunnison, CO

Fruita, CO

Moab, UT

so far

Gunnison, CO

Ol' Miner Steakhouse
 High Alpine Brewing

Fruita
 Rib City Colorado

Moab (nothing currently)

if you have suggestions, please PM me thank you

On 1/28/2023 at 7:17 PM, Twisties said:

Hi!  We're in Cortez.  

On 1/28/2023 at 7:17 PM, Twisties said:

Hi!  We're in Cortez.  

Hi Jan, I recently moved from Salt Lake and was at a tech day at your house quite a few years ago. I had the Sand beige RT like yours. Loving Colorado.

• Like 1
33 minutes ago, Cap said:

There is only one answer for Gunnison: The W Cafe   Order anything smothered in green chili

so it is only breakfast and lunch at the W cafe, so we will do breakfast at the W cafe.  I really like micro brewery root beer, so High Alphine is looking good for dinner

On 12/21/2022 at 3:13 AM, Whip said:

There WILL be a group dinner the day has not been nailed down but most likely Wednesday evening. 

We have our own party room called Hoodies with indoor/outdoor seating that is ours Monday through Thursday. 

Many Many thanks to Cap for all his patience working with me.  I have cleaned up and added some small changes to my routes.  I new file has been uploaded.  If it is important to you, you can download the latest set of routes.

• Like 1
On 12/19/2022 at 11:00 AM, randy said:

I want to go visit Arches National Park.  No way I can ride there spend time there and ride back in one day.  So that will be an overnight trip.  Not wanting details, but will the group dinner be on Wednesday or Tuesday?

I just want to make sure I do not schedule my overnight trip/motel reservation on the evening of the group dinner.

thanks

I was not all that impressed with arches....  I rode through saw them all and was back in the saddle in maybe 90 minutes. YMMV.

20 minutes ago, Matts_12GS said:

I was not all that impressed with arches....  I rode through saw them all and was back in the saddle in maybe 90 minutes. YMMV.

In Moab the ride/drive not to be missed is the 100 mile White Rim Trail loop. It’s dirt and will be hot in July so a Jeep or any 4wd with AC would be the ticket. 

19 hours ago, roadscholar said:

In Moab the ride/drive not to be missed is the 100 mile White Rim Trail loop. It’s dirt and will be hot in July so a Jeep or any 4wd with AC would be the ticket. 

so I have been to Arches and was really impressed.  The three riders with me have not been to Arches.  Unfortunately, we are all on street bikes.
Yamaha 900 Tracer GT
BMW K1200Sport
BMW S1000rr

Triumph 675 naked
I could probably handle the White Rim Trail Loop, but not happening with the other 3.  

we will ride the paved section, and plan on bringing decent walking shoes to walk one of the more "tourist" paths

Dennis Andress

This is the best cool vest known to man! It works better with nothing covering it, but is still worthwhile under a vented jacket. Amazon has the best price.

Ergodyne Chill-Its 6685 Dry Evaporative Cooling Vest.

cimage.thumb.png.c9522605a916ee54afc53c5fc0d966a1.png 

Dennis Andress
52 minutes ago, roadscholar said:

There was a company making something similar, not that I remember their name. I've been really happy with a Shoei Neotec which built in speakers, but I don't listen to music on the bike.

1 hour ago, roadscholar said:

Is the White Rim doable on a CanAm Ryker Rally?  It is designed for dirt roads and has skid plates just not good on big rocks.  We want to hit some of moab and I want to ride some of it. Wife will be on the CanAm.

1 hour ago, TSConver said:

Is the White Rim doable on a CanAm Ryker Rally?  It is designed for dirt roads and has skid plates just not good on big rocks.  We want to hit some of moab and I want to ride some of it. Wife will be on the CanAm.

Not familiar with those but should be doable, there’s no big rocks, there is some sand and a few climbs that aren’t bad and ground clearance shouldn’t be a problem. At the risk of hijacking the thread I’ll post some pics in awhile.

Looking down from the paved road above. It's called white rim because it follows the perimeter of the peninsula where the Colorado and Green Rivers converge.

Untitled photo

The switchbacks going down.

Untitled photo

Untitled photo

80% is like this.

Untitled photo

Lot of scenic pull offs.

Untitled photo

This is and the road back up/out are the steepest climbs and aren't bad, doable in a minivan.

Untitled photo

The only shade for I00 miles : ) take lots of water.

Untitled photo

Untitled photo

Another climb but again not bad.

Untitled photo

Green River overlook.

Untitled photo

The climb back out.

Untitled photo

On the way home my buddy Dave said 'I'd rather ride Colorado I like it green' but I thought it was spectacular, there's just nowhere else you can get this immersed in a landscape like it. The Grand Canyon maybe but you can't ride a bike down into it. 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Dennis Andress said:

best

I bought one on the recommendation of CarlW.  While I can't say if it is the best known to mankind, I am very happy with it.  I wear it under a mesh jacket, with a HeatOut shirt as a baselayer.