IGNORED

Anybody go for ride today? Got Pictures?

Redman

~80 miles, 67° to 80°, brilliant sunshine, no purple haired leaf maggots clogging the roads on a Thursday. No pics, but here is a map.

1865535655_Screenshot2021-10-1418_02_08.thumb.png.1e6651e13cc11b01accf293253740e0a.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
On 10/11/2021 at 8:15 AM, Chris K said:

Stop on the way over to Barber Motorsports Park over the weekend. 

TNF Bike.jpeg

Kind of  looks like one of the pull outs on AL 281 east of Mount Cheaha.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, wbw6cos said:

Had lunch in Blairsville with  Alan, Craig, Chris, Joel, Lowndes.  Great roads up and back.

One picture looks a bit wet. Other picture looks dry.  

Looking at map. Liburn to Blairsville, 95 miles, 129 & 19 look nice.

Does look like nice ride.

2 hours ago, brianh70 said:

I took my new bike out for a ride today!  It was pretty awesome.  Did I mention I got a new bike?  

A '21 GSA ? (I cheated, read your sig line.)

Corn and gravel road not unlike those around here.

Were in general is that?

@Redman There was a cold front moving through, with rain ahead of it.  Wet leaves allowed for a few pucker-factor moments, as we were in and out of wet/dry areas in different parts of the route.  Overall, the road conditions were great. 

From Lilburn, I ended up taking the 286 mile route up and back (thanks @TyTass!!)

• Like 2
13 hours ago, Redman said:

A '21 GSA ? (I cheated, read your sig line.)

Corn and gravel road not unlike those around here.

Were in general is that?

That was by a cotton field just outside of Lewiston-Woodville, NC.

• Like 1

Had been rainy-windy-dreary for a few days, then today 60 degF and sunny. Saw more bikes out today than in recent days.

Took an afternoon ride.

Out along the river is looking like start of fall color.

IMG_1459.JPG

Rode back into town and down by the beach/pier. Hung around there for sunset (pic) and twilight and after.

P1200733.JPG

After dark, was still 60degF, so went for little bit more of ride.

• Like 5
Dennis Andress

This is the best time of year to visit Southern Utah. Don't tell anyone...

ZDSC2082-X4.jpg

Life is all about other people's children.

ZDSC2085-X3.jpg

• Like 5
On 10/22/2021 at 7:54 AM, Dennis Andress said:

Life is all about other people's children.

ZDSC2085-X3.jpg

Wonder if he saw this video (nudity is blurred for your work safety)

Yesterday morning heading SE toward Pine Mountain Club, CA.  That's the southern end of the San Joaquin Valley off in the distance under some mist.

DSCN0325.thumb.JPG.4d5978e0ee1e40d44ab1f7c2e1609cad.JPG

• Like 6

First "familiarization ride" today.  Went around the lake, then up a hill behind my house, where I took this picture.  Made a bunch of noobie boo-boo (shifting so smooth, I kept riding the clutch 'cause I couldn't feel the transmission, and ... other stuff we won't talk about).

If you bore easily, skip the rest of this post.

Received the bike Thursday, and the day was a  nightmare:

• Pickup trailer, 30 minutes away.
  • Pickup bike at loading dock 30 minutes away, the other direction.
  • Load bike onto trailer (with help of warehouseman).
  • Load bike PROPERLY on trailer (without help of warehouseman).
  • Zip over to DMV to get it inspected, titled, registered, pay sales tax.
  • Find out that Idaho DMV isn't taking walk-ins and next appointment is November 30th.
  • Zip over the to the Sheriff's office to get a LEO to do the VIN inspection (i.e. at least I won't have to trailer the bike any more).
  • Find a sign on Sheriff's office door stating that due to COVID, they don't open the door or do business with the public anymore.  Call and leave a message.
  • Give up, go home, call leave voice mail with the Sheriff's office, start to unload bike CAREFULLY solo, get deep into preparing it's winter sleeping place, Sheriff's community service officer calls, willing to come over now, inspect VIN.  Oh-kayyy, stop everything, great, we'll get it done now.
  • Panic.  Can't find the VIN in the usual locations, including the pictures I saw on the internet.    Rush to unstrap, unload bike so I can find the VIN in the obvious place on the right hand, throat of the frame where it's supposed to be.   Still can't find it.  Panic some more.  Start stripping off Tupperware hoping I can find it somewhere buried under the faring.  Oh, by the way, while the Wethead looks a lot like a Hexhead, the Wethead's Tupperware is NOT the same as the Hexhead.
  • Com. Service officer (Rick) arrives.  Asks me why I'm destroying my bike.  Tells me relax, he's done this lots, and he'll find the VIN - no problem.
  • Rick's a nice guy, but he can't find the VIN.  Panic some more.  (Strange, panic doesn't seem to solve problems.)  We both look some more, and he eventually finds a VIN sticker (!?) on the frame. 
  • Rick and I have a nice discussion about local riding.  He says he's got a secret way to get through DMV.  While the PC application online, and the Kiosk at DMV both say "no more walk-in's" as soon as DMV opens, if you download a phone application, you can see what you're supposed to see on the PC or Kiosk, i.e. how many are in line, how many minutes until next one, etc..  He says, "Wow, you're in luck.  There are only 11 people in line, and it's 55 minutes long.  You should try go get in their today, because the line is never this short."  I thank Rick, and silently curse Idaho DMV, and every Boise state politician.
  • I log in via the phone app, and add my name to the walk-in line.  It's 55 minutes until my appointment, DMV is 30 minutes away.  I rush to button everything up, jump in the car with the empty trailer, rush over to DMV.   About 2-3 miles away, stopped at a light, I decide to check the app, just in case.  I'm now #2 in line, 5 minute wait.   Oh, oh.  I panic some more, just because, ya never know when panic will actually work.
  • Short story long, before I clear that light, I'm now #1 in line, 4 minute estimated wait.  I make it there, park, walk in, sit my butt in the seat, get called immediately.  A dozen people in the waiting area glare at me with nasty stares.   (I respond with the appropriate smugness.)  I go through the process in 15 minutes, walk out about $1,000 lighter, with temp tags, registration, we're all good, legal to FINALLY ride the bike I purchased about a month ago.
  • Drop the trailer.  Go home.  Put the bike in the garage, collecting all the Tupperware and screws in a cardboard box, for Friday's work day.
  • Grab alcohol.   Log on to BMWLT.com and BMWRT.com, and look for BoxFlyer's cheat sheet on where the screws go on the *#$#@% Tupperware.  🙄

Upon reflection, I am certain "panic" was the secret to getting everything done last Thursday.  🤣🤣🤣

Friday was clean-up, both the garage and the bike.   (Unnamed BMW dealer needs to fire their detailing crew.   Just awful oxidation on every black component.   Fixed it in 30 minutes with Mothers "Back to black".  I can't believe they put this bike on their sales floor looking like this.  Oh, yeah, and I also found the old registration, which says "Loaner #1", something that was not revealed to me before the sale. 🙄😖  I won't trash the dealership, though.  They sold it at the low end of retail, and kept every commitment they made.  It's still under warranty, so we'll call it good for now.)  Friday was also the day I unboxed my riding gear, and found out that about half of it didn't make it through the move, but that's another story.   (Black Friday sales, here we come!  Hmm, also gotta buy something like Nutrisystems, to fit into what I'm gonna buy.)

I hope to get out a couple of more short rides in before I park the bike for the winter.  30's and 50's, and almost non-stop rain over the next 10 days, me without riding gear (i.e. armor, decent ATGATT riding jacket at least), and this bike came to Northern Idaho, with the freakin' sport screen!

R1200RT_at_HauserLake.jpg

• Like 3
  • Smile 1
  • Thinking 1

Panic works for me! Alcohol to even out...

Congratulations on the new bike and getting thru registration (barely).

Once you buy new gear, the old stuff will magically appear, of course.

Your story had me panicking right along with you, and laughing at the same time.

12 hours ago, Scott9999 said:

First "familiarization ride" today.  Went around the lake, then up a hill behind my house, where I took this picture. ........

Grey sky and wet pavement looks like around here latley (and near future).

Nice pic of bike and scenery and road.

Entertaining story.

4 hours ago, Bernie said:

Out for a Sunday ride to Moultrie, GA for lunch. 

Nice pic of bike and road and scenery including the sunrise-sky. I suppose the cupcake and coffee are a welcomed "scene" also.

• Like 1
21 hours ago, Bernie said:

Out for a Sunday ride to Moultrie, GA for lunch. BEE7C677-7B43-4044-A4E2-03D80121ACEE.thumb.jpeg.a5d980addc66597eb62cb9d75faab726.jpeg

Appertizer😂

8B0A2745-505A-4F76-B754-764CEFD86B68.thumb.jpeg.71ca1064eb60fed1562ccb03b6e73a9f.jpeg

I miss the Moutrie Swap Meet :(,.....went every year I was stationed in Agony, Ga (Albany)

50 degF and sunny this afternoon after days of rain and overcast and wind.

Had other things I needed to work on, but figured I had made enough of progress (maybe, maybe not) so went for an afternoon ride.

Needed to be back home by about 4:30and didnt get out till about 3, so didnt go far.

Stopped next to this tree for a picture. One of the few with color, most are fairly dull.

Q98C0ML.jpg

Also stopped by this bayou/marsh in a park. Stood there looking around, just to see what there was to see.

At first seemed like no activity, but after a while was some birds, and could see some currents, and could see some sort of water bugs darting around in the water.

[img]https://i.imgur.com/YsPl1CMl.jpg[/img]

YsPl1CMl.jpg

• Like 2
Yeeha Stephen

Took the blue bike out to the "backside " of the Texas Hill Country over the weekend. Leakey, Camp Wood, Rocksprings, and Junction. Then South to Utopia, Tarpley and back to Kerrville. What a day! Beautiful day while attending the BMW MOA Getaway in Kerrville Tejas.

May be an image of motorcycle and road

May be an image of motorcycle, nature, road and tree

May be an image of motorcycle, nature and road

• Like 4

The Threes!

Frio Canyon Motorcycle Stop! (I was there in spring 2005 , when was in old lumberyard at the intersection).

And you found some other beemers there.

Nice pics.

I knew some about the R1100S, but not the BoxerCup (BCR). After looking into it, I would say that Hill Country is a good place for it.

Edited by Redman
BCR
Michiganr80rt

First frost of the year this morning, but the temperature went up to 50F this afternoon so I decided to visit some lighthouses. The White Lake light and the Little Point Sable light.

IMG_3031.jpg

IMG_3029.jpg

• Like 3
On 10/24/2021 at 3:02 AM, Scott9999 said:

First "familiarization ride" today.  Went around the lake, then up a hill behind my house, where I took this picture.  Made a bunch of noobie boo-boo (shifting so smooth, I kept riding the clutch 'cause I couldn't feel the transmission, and ... other stuff we won't talk about).

If you bore easily, skip the rest of this post.

Received the bike Thursday, and the day was a  nightmare:

• Pickup trailer, 30 minutes away.
  • Pickup bike at loading dock 30 minutes away, the other direction.
  • Load bike onto trailer (with help of warehouseman).
  • Load bike PROPERLY on trailer (without help of warehouseman).
  • Zip over to DMV to get it inspected, titled, registered, pay sales tax.
  • Find out that Idaho DMV isn't taking walk-ins and next appointment is November 30th.
  • Zip over the to the Sheriff's office to get a LEO to do the VIN inspection (i.e. at least I won't have to trailer the bike any more).
  • Find a sign on Sheriff's office door stating that due to COVID, they don't open the door or do business with the public anymore.  Call and leave a message.
  • Give up, go home, call leave voice mail with the Sheriff's office, start to unload bike CAREFULLY solo, get deep into preparing it's winter sleeping place, Sheriff's community service officer calls, willing to come over now, inspect VIN.  Oh-kayyy, stop everything, great, we'll get it done now.
  • Panic.  Can't find the VIN in the usual locations, including the pictures I saw on the internet.    Rush to unstrap, unload bike so I can find the VIN in the obvious place on the right hand, throat of the frame where it's supposed to be.   Still can't find it.  Panic some more.  Start stripping off Tupperware hoping I can find it somewhere buried under the faring.  Oh, by the way, while the Wethead looks a lot like a Hexhead, the Wethead's Tupperware is NOT the same as the Hexhead.
  • Com. Service officer (Rick) arrives.  Asks me why I'm destroying my bike.  Tells me relax, he's done this lots, and he'll find the VIN - no problem.
  • Rick's a nice guy, but he can't find the VIN.  Panic some more.  (Strange, panic doesn't seem to solve problems.)  We both look some more, and he eventually finds a VIN sticker (!?) on the frame. 
  • Rick and I have a nice discussion about local riding.  He says he's got a secret way to get through DMV.  While the PC application online, and the Kiosk at DMV both say "no more walk-in's" as soon as DMV opens, if you download a phone application, you can see what you're supposed to see on the PC or Kiosk, i.e. how many are in line, how many minutes until next one, etc..  He says, "Wow, you're in luck.  There are only 11 people in line, and it's 55 minutes long.  You should try go get in their today, because the line is never this short."  I thank Rick, and silently curse Idaho DMV, and every Boise state politician.
  • I log in via the phone app, and add my name to the walk-in line.  It's 55 minutes until my appointment, DMV is 30 minutes away.  I rush to button everything up, jump in the car with the empty trailer, rush over to DMV.   About 2-3 miles away, stopped at a light, I decide to check the app, just in case.  I'm now #2 in line, 5 minute wait.   Oh, oh.  I panic some more, just because, ya never know when panic will actually work.
  • Short story long, before I clear that light, I'm now #1 in line, 4 minute estimated wait.  I make it there, park, walk in, sit my butt in the seat, get called immediately.  A dozen people in the waiting area glare at me with nasty stares.   (I respond with the appropriate smugness.)  I go through the process in 15 minutes, walk out about $1,000 lighter, with temp tags, registration, we're all good, legal to FINALLY ride the bike I purchased about a month ago.
  • Drop the trailer.  Go home.  Put the bike in the garage, collecting all the Tupperware and screws in a cardboard box, for Friday's work day.
  • Grab alcohol.   Log on to BMWLT.com and BMWRT.com, and look for BoxFlyer's cheat sheet on where the screws go on the *#$#@% Tupperware.  🙄

Upon reflection, I am certain "panic" was the secret to getting everything done last Thursday.  🤣🤣🤣

Friday was clean-up, both the garage and the bike.   (Unnamed BMW dealer needs to fire their detailing crew.   Just awful oxidation on every black component.   Fixed it in 30 minutes with Mothers "Back to black".  I can't believe they put this bike on their sales floor looking like this.  Oh, yeah, and I also found the old registration, which says "Loaner #1", something that was not revealed to me before the sale. 🙄😖  I won't trash the dealership, though.  They sold it at the low end of retail, and kept every commitment they made.  It's still under warranty, so we'll call it good for now.)  Friday was also the day I unboxed my riding gear, and found out that about half of it didn't make it through the move, but that's another story.   (Black Friday sales, here we come!  Hmm, also gotta buy something like Nutrisystems, to fit into what I'm gonna buy.)

I hope to get out a couple of more short rides in before I park the bike for the winter.  30's and 50's, and almost non-stop rain over the next 10 days, me without riding gear (i.e. armor, decent ATGATT riding jacket at least), and this bike came to Northern Idaho, with the freakin' sport screen!

R1200RT_at_HauserLake.jpg

Bravo!

Went out in late afternoon. A little celebration ride after the MSU 37 UofM 33 game. Rode around for about an hour. Saw folks out for walks wearing MSU garb, or some folks just standing in driveway with flags and such, so could exchange "Go Green" greetings and "Go White" response. 

52 defF, quite overcast like might rain -again-

Also found some fall color in a few places.

51643064249_62d197c980_b.jpg

sPXj32Ql.jpg

IMG_1693.JPG

• Like 2

Took a little ride over to visit my dad's gravesite on the way to the Progressive IMS Outdoors Motorycle Show today.  A little breezy with most;y cloudy skys.  Temps were mid 50's, reaching about 60F.  

There were a lot of demo bike rides today.  The outdoor venue was better for that part, compared to previous years in Atlanta (indoors).  HD, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Honda, Kawasaki, Yamaha, Triumph, and Zero had demo rides.  I did not partake in the demo rides, but did try out the HD Pan America.   It was on an off-road course on private property, so no helmet was necessary.  :whistle: 

Luckily, my adventure skills were showing due to the off-road prowess that I learned at the BMW Performance Center on a 1250 GS; I did wear a helmet for that one - and needed it because when I fell a few times.  Just a few.  :yes:

20211031_122327-1.jpg

20211031_123624-2.jpg

• Like 5
  • Smile 3

Started the day scraping ice (not frost, ice) off car windshield.   Yep, that time of year..
(Went for Sunrise photo walk on pier.)  30degF.

By noon was 40degF.
Had appointment 20 miles south, so rode along lakeshore dunes.
45degF on way back. Stopped for pic along the back side of dune that had some fall color
c84pJu2.jpg
Good to get out for a ride.
Maybe should have had the liner back in riding pants.

Oh, also first ride of fall with the helmet shield closed down . . . ew, helmet liner needs a washing.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Some more pictures from today’s ride. BCED54B2-6179-447C-9EE4-389350284F5F.thumb.jpeg.996d44509aa7ebf425af7b98b2f3d6ba.jpeg
somewhere in West Georgia. 
454E4FD9-A5ED-4127-AAE5-900C54D830D0.thumb.jpeg.8f60a1d2bad8bae85e5edaa5e153c2bc.jpegD3D482BA-0F8C-4F4D-A81E-5C7030E69E3B.thumb.jpeg.47017108555cd5fbcd4c9f38db585864.jpeg

Cheaha Park in Alabama. 45F up on the mountain. A little cool but beautiful. Total ride of 565 miles today. 

• Like 9
Michiganr80rt

Temperature reached 50F today so I visited beaches in Muskegon and Duck Lake State Park. It looks like moderate temperature for the next 3-4 day so more November riding

IMG_3036.thumb.jpg.3d628c177967cfcc84964746d98f7874.jpg

IMG_3057.jpg

IMG_3049.jpg

IMG_3041.jpg

• Like 5

Bernie mentioned our ride today and lunch at Hatter Cafe in Mentone.  Allow me to expand on that as follows:  

We parked the bikes and walked inside to find that Friday noon was luncheon day for every Ladies' club in Alabama.  The place was packed with ladies and one group wearing frilly little wisps of hats!  I'm thinking like Charlie Daniels sang, "This ain't our kind of place...".  

Hatter Cafe has ONE restroom for all, so we were out-numbered trying to get to use it...you had to be quick to jump in when the door opened!

We should have gotten a clue to the fancy frilly female-oriented Cafe when the pavers leading to the front porch were red concrete hearts.  And again when they handed the desert menu first (see photo).  But we pressed on and placed our order while Bernie had his version of "High Tea" (see photo of Bernie stirring his tea with the tea bag strainer!).  The eating utensils were real silverware and the laced doilies under our entrees were real crochet, not paper.  Our little fingers began to point as we ate!

Fact is that the food was different in a good way, and we had some good laughs to go along with it.  

Hatter Restaurant.JPG

Bernie at High Tea.JPG

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Gooey Chocolate Cake??

You had me at Caramel Apple Skillet Crumble.    Mmmm.

Nothing wrong with high class eatin'.   Laura has me trained on having a good cuppa tea, so she would have loved to been there for that.

I see you got to sit outside so as not to mingle with the wrong crowd.     :dontknow:

Nice story.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
2 hours ago, wbw6cos said:

Gooey Chocolate Cake??

You had me at Caramel Apple Skillet Crumble.    Mmmm.

Nothing wrong with high class eatin'.   Laura has me trained on having a good cuppa tea, so she would have loved to been there for that.

I see you got to sit outside so as not to mingle with the wrong crowd.     :dontknow:

Nice story.

@wbw6cosand @wbw6cos2it is a lunch destination from the ATL. Just saying! Also wear electric jackets when sitting outside in windy 50degrees, while sipping your tea. :spittake:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2