IGNORED

Spring Tune-up Appalachian Riding Tour (START) April 22-26 Newport, TN

Indy Dave

RandyShields
13 minutes ago, Kinsley said:

UPDATE:

START was canceled and I have asked the hotel to cancel all reservations with our group, but if you did not cancel you may want to call to be sure.

For planning purposes, IF we end up having SMART it will be June 24th through 28th. That is the weekend between Father's Day and July 4th, so it seems to be the best option.

We will update if there are major changes in the situation and try to have firm plans by May 15th.

On my calendar.  I hope the country is opening back up by then; would love to ride and see everyone if we can do it safely.  Thanks for the follow-up planning.

• Like 2

I'm sure the hotel was disappointed, but not surprised. This could have been a matter of you contacting them before they contacted you.

Good luck, but I am probably out for end of June as well. I'm trying to keep all my riding, paved or dirt, within a 40-mile radius of home.

The good news is the scouting has been done, the routes have been posted, I have fresh tires on, and the 12k service was completed.  BRING IT ON!

Oh, yeah- IN, by the way.  Well, on the calendar when I get to work tomorrow.  

• Like 2
18 hours ago, Kinsley said:

UPDATE:

START was canceled and I have asked the hotel to cancel all reservations with our group, but if you did not cancel you may want to call to be sure.

For planning purposes, IF we end up having SMART it will be June 24th through 28th. That is the weekend between Father's Day and July 4th, so it seems to be the best option.

We will update if there are major changes in the situation and try to have firm plans by May 15th.

In if it happens.

• Like 2

Wow @BamaJohn, it just dawned on me that it can still be called START.  Summer Tune Up Appalachian Riding Tour (with a major aterisk, of course.)  Thanks for the idea.  I'll get the lights.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
RandyShields
20 hours ago, Ydo said:

I think I would like to attend June START.  I'm a new member so this would be my first ride with the group.

Ydo, welcome.  We hope you can make it to the next ride, whenever that may be.  We will look forward to meeting and getting to know you.  Please excuse us; the lack of energetic response is due not only to the impact of the virus on things, but we also lost a friend and one of the hosts of this event last week.  You can see more about that in The Ride Home forum below.  Until we are able to put another function together, be safe.

• Like 2
20 hours ago, Ydo said:

I think I would like to attend June START.  I'm a new member so this would be my first ride with the group.

The *ART rallies are generally wonderful events, although Ken's absence may put a damper on things this year.

I wish I could be there, but I'm sitting this one out. I will be 74 years old on June 25, I have been hospitalized multiple times for asthma and pneumonia, and I am currently living with bronchiectasis. Given all those health factors, I am trying to minimize my risks and contact with my fellow human beings.

• Sad 1

That is true Selden.  I also think the SECFF Lunches, especially the first one in October, will be really tough without Ken.

Keep well!

• Like 1
15 hours ago, RandyShields said:

Ydo, welcome.  We hope you can make it to the next ride, whenever that may be.  We will look forward to meeting and getting to know you.  Please excuse us; the lack of energetic response is due not only to the impact of the virus on things, but we also lost a friend and one of the hosts of this event last week.  You can see more about that in The Ride Home forum below.  Until we are able to put another function together, be safe.

Thank you Randy for the welcome message but wow what a deep sense of lose all of you must feel with the passing of Ken.  I went on to read each and every message on The  Ride Home you all left and went on to see Ken's photography site, Facebook page and so forth.  From what I gather he passed away doing what he loved, as we all do, riding his motorcycle. 

Although I don't actually know him, I feel like I do now and feel I missed on meeting a great person who I would have loved to have been friends with and to have ridden with.  My condolences to all of you who knew him personally.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
Indy Dave

START / SMART has been cancelled.

In consideration of Ken's passing, I think this is the best course of action. Thank you all for your patience.

The Fall Appalachian Riding Tour will still be held Sept 16 - 20.  When we gather, we'll recognize Mr. Zoom as planned on Thursday and celebrate Ken's legacy at dinner Friday. Nikki will be joining us.

A formal announcement with be forthcoming.

Edited by Indy Dave
Event date changed to Sept. 16 - 20th
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 4
terryofperry

Dave,

Thank you and those behind the scenes for your extraordinary efforts to hold this event, nothing more could have been done. 

Terry

• Like 7
Indy Dave

EVENT DATE CHANGE FOR F.A.R.T. Due to scheduling issues, The Fall Appalachian Riding Tour will be held one week earlier than previously announced:

THE NEW DATE IS: SEPTEMBER 16 - 20th.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
Indy Dave
9 minutes ago, wbw6cos said:

Oh yeah???   Well I am still IN.  Just need to know w h e r e.   :dontknow:

Well William, you've got that going for you, which is nice. You might even get a free bowl of soup. All in good time, Judge.

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Indy Dave said:

EVENT DATE CHANGE FOR F.A.R.T. Due to scheduling issues, The Fall Appalachian Riding Tour will be held one week earlier than previously announced:

IN.  

• Like 2
17 hours ago, Indy Dave said:

I am IN. Will find out about Terri's schedule soon. 

• Like 4
17 hours ago, Indy Dave said:

IN!!!!!:5188::bike::clap:

• Like 5

Newport may be the easiest, and I'm sure the hotel would appreciate it!  Just a thought.

Stay safe, guys!

• Like 1
Indy Dave

I love the enthusiasm everyone has for F.A.R.T.  I know how it must look from the outside, I've been scarce posting definitive updates. :ohboy:Then when I did, almost just as quickly as I made a general announcement, I posted a date change.:16:    You may well be wondering - "What the hell is going on, anyway"!?

I know from the outside, it may not seem like we have a well-oiled machine in operation. Both Ken and I liked these events to have a relaxed feel and atmosphere and we had a method to our madness. We also wanted everything to go off without a hitch. Ken and I had selected the location, signed contracts with the host hotel and arranged the group meal for F.A.R.T. in early January. As is our practice - the event logo, photos and information slides for F.A.R.T. were prepared and ready to go before START. I would also just note that, while we would announce the location of the next event at our group meal, we would not make a BMWST announcement until 3 or 4 weeks after the previous event. So from a posted board announcement standing, we are still well within that normal roll out.  :thumbsup:

But things have changed. There are additional considerations to factor in now. We now need to have a private room for the group meal - like we had in Sparta for Mr. Zoom - for our celebration of Ken, and this is not available at the original location Ken and I had chosen for F.A.R.T.  Needless to say, there were now other considerations that needed to be worked out, but this event is secondary and insignificant in comparison to the loss of Ken. Now having settled logistical details, dates, hotel and meal - I announced the date - but no official sign up - as it's still earlier than we normally would post that, and I haven't yet requested revised event artwork or chosen different photos. This will all be complete and posted within the normal time frame.

While the 'new normal' now is for dates and schedules to change (often), it must look terribly uncluttered to have announced the date for F.A.R.T. and then quickly revise it.  I apologize. Friday evening, I received word that a family event had been rescheduled and was now in conflict with the original F.A.R.T. date. It wasn't until Monday that I could confirm the new revised date - a week earlier than originally planned - with the hotel and restaurant. :clap:

Thank you one and all for your patience, and I look forward to seeing you all and celebrating and remembering Ken with you.

Indy Dave

Edited by Indy Dave
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

OK I'm in.  Let's get this BMW fellowship started.  I've belonged to other groups(Yamaha FZ1, Kawasaki Ninja 1000...etc) and all were and still are great with some lifelong friends and great adventures. I've owned the Bimmer for a couple of years but only recently found this group that seems active and with many events planned.  As I am approaching retirement (maybe 1 more year) I need to connect with you-all to get me out of the house (as my wife said to keep our marriage going in harmony).

:5590:.

I'm originally from the east coast, New Jersey, and been living here in Kentucky for 25 years now with some adjustments. For example:

In NJ we say yous-guys

Here in Kentucky we say you-all.     Guess what the plural is?                  Alls you-all  :spittake:

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Indy Dave said:

I love the enthusiasm everyone has for F.A.R.T.  I know how it must look from the outside

I organized a Fall Eastern Hawk Rally for Honda HawkGT owners out of T.W.O in Suches for about 5 years, and I well remember the metaphor of being like a duck: stay calm on the surface, but paddle like hell underneath. We are all indebted to your service, and Ken's, and others. A lot goes on beneath the surface that others are never aware of.

• Like 2
17 minutes ago, Ydo said:

Here in Kentucky we say you-all.     Guess what the plural is?                  Alls you-all  :spittake:

Some years ago, I was with a bunch of riders who stopped for lunch at a roadside eatery. Some were not southerners. When the waitress came by to take orders, she asked, "What'll y'all have?" A member of the group said, "Are you asking me, or the table?" She replied, "Honey, if I meant all y'all, I'd a said all y'all."

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
terryofperry

Hey all, as Craig (TyTass) posted, there will be a separate (individual) FART Thread for the Fall event where we can view the information as well as sign up. 

Thanks.

Terry

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
terryofperry
25 minutes ago, Ydo said:

OK I'm in.  Let's get this BMW fellowship started.  I've belonged to other groups(Yamaha FZ1, Kawasaki Ninja 1000...etc) and all were and still are great with some lifelong friends and great adventures. I've owned the Bimmer for a couple of years but only recently found this group that seems active and with many events planned.  As I am approaching retirement (maybe 1 more year) I need to connect with you-all to get me out of the house (as my wife said to keep our marriage going in harmony).

:5590:.

I'm originally from the east coast, New Jersey, and been living here in Kentucky for 25 years now with some adjustments. For example:

In NJ we say yous-guys

@Ydo In the deep South it would be Y'all. Just sayin'. :5223:

Terry

• Like 2
20 minutes ago, terryofperry said:

Hey all, as Craig (TyTass) posted, there will be a separate (individual) FART Thread for the Fall event where we can view the information as well as sign up. 

Thanks.

Terry

Thanks Terry...

• Like 1

Anyway for all of you my name is Ed with Ydo being part of my last name.  When we meet you will struggle with my last name so Ydo (pronounced edo) will do for now.

Last year we were riding in the Smokies when we stopped to eat and my friend from Long Island was asking for some healthy food, low in fat, no red meat... in his NY accent and the the lady behind the counter looked at him strange and said... you guessed it:

"you ain't from around here, are ya,"

We laughed and are thinking of making this our tee shirt for this years trip.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, terryofperry said:

Thanks.

Terry

That is fine Terry, we can all post our IN again in the pending FART thread.  We will get through this.  We are in it together.   You are not alone.  Be sure to wash your hands frequently.

Sorry.  Sounds like I heard too many PSA's.  

I grew up in Massachusetts and moved to Georgia (pronounced Jow ja, slowly) in '78 and people would ask why I did not have an accent.  I just told them I talk normal. :rofl:.  But I can speak Pahk yuh Cahr neeyr Hahvad Yahd.

• Like 1
  • Dennis Andress locked and unlocked this topic
  • Dennis Andress unfeatured this topic