IGNORED

Spring Tune-up Appalachian Riding Tour (START) April 22-26 Newport, TN

Indy Dave

terryofperry
1 hour ago, wbw6cos said:

While not an official gathering, per se, I hope the local gubment officials will not mess with the START.  I suppose it is still  possible to have Endobobdds Pizza Night, Friday Night Dinner, and evening parking lot gatherings with everyone keeping a safe distance away from each other.  Am I right?

@wbw6cos Will you be joining us by way of Columbus again?

Columbus.png.efaaa8bb5231157d58c3a7123b7eb5e7.png

Terry

• Like 1

Attention @Indy Dave and @Kinsley 

After reading  through, "Rider's discuss other topics Forum post:  COVID-19 Poll by John Ranalletta", I am thinking we should consider canceling both the Thursday Pizza Party and the Friday night group dinner.   We ride separately on our motorcycles, usually ride in small groups and in the parking lot gatherings we can easily keep a safe distance from one another.   What do those planning on attending think about this?

• Like 1

I am waiting to see what is going on in 3 weeks.  As far as work, everyone that can is working from home for at least 2 weeks. All of my training has been suspended for 90 days.  After tomorrow I don't have to go back to the office until sometime in June.  Corporate has also instituted a case by case extra PTO policy for those that can't work from home but have kids to take care of. 

14 hours ago, Endobobdds said:

Attention @Indy Dave and @Kinsley 

After reading  through, "Rider's discuss other topics Forum post:  COVID-19 Poll by John Ranalletta", I am thinking we should consider canceling both the Thursday Pizza Party and the Friday night group dinner.   We ride separately on our motorcycles, usually ride in small groups and in the parking lot gatherings we can easily keep a safe distance from one another.   What do those planning on attending think about this?

Bob,

I've been a Health Care Provider for almost 34 years - never seen anything like this, (none of us have) so this is new territory for us all. Hopefully , we'll know more in the next couple of weeks. That's when the results of the current containment efforts should begin to become more clear.

Rick

• Like 3

** ADMINISTRIVIA* *

Ken and I have a wait and see position on START. It is pointless to make a definitive announcement with the constantly changing landscapes that are impacting all of us. Guidelines and restrictions will continue to be adjusted and modified for the near future certainly. We have a 24 hour cancellation policy with our host hotel - so we're not feeling under any pressure to make a decision forthwith. As ERdok pointed out, we're some weeks out from getting some idea of the saturation of the coronavirus.

I can say definitively that we will not be having a group meal on Friday. We do have a contingency plan we'll announce if and when it comes to that.

Regardless of what happens with START- it is incumbent upon each of us to be well informed, aware (and protective of your own vulnerabilities) and  to be appraised of local and State restrictions where you live, as well as National policies - and to act accordingly.

If you'd like to discuss or debate the COVID-19 situation, there are threads presently going with which to do that.

In the meantime - here's a look back at some random ART events.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

Those that know me well know that I am a risk taker, however, I must cancel my plans to attend START '20.   Both my wife and daughter have health issues that require them to be extra careful during this difficult time the world is experiencing with the Coronovirus pandemic.  Since I am the one that now is doing most of the food shopping, etc., I need to be at home with them.

Please take every precaution you can!   I look forward to this all being behind us and seeing everyone at another BMWST event sometime soon!   

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Endobobdds said:

Those that know me well know that I am a risk taker, however, I must cancel my plans to attend START '20.   Both my wife and daughter have health issues that require them to be extra careful during this difficult time the world is experiencing with the Coronovirus pandemic.  Since I am the one that now is doing most of the food shopping, etc., I need to be at home with them.

Please take every precaution you can!   I look forward to this all being behind us and seeing everyone at another BMWST event sometime soon!   

I'm not going to cancel yet, but I doubt I will be attending.  I'm going to be 74 next Friday, and I guess that puts me on the endangered species list.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Endobobdds said:

I applaud your decision to focus on your family.  Susan is doing most of the excursions for us.  I have a bunch of the high risk factors.  At least I love to read and listen to music, play with the dogs, and watch movies.  If ever there was a time to be locked in, the technology makes now it.

• Like 2

Stay well, everybody!!

EDIT - on the off-chance that the START still goes on, y'all can live vicariously though the ones that do attend via the internet.  :18:

• Like 2

I will not be going to START, and have cancelled my room reservation at the Best Western, which I had to do by calling the hotel directly (423-623-8713).  I could not do it on Best Western's website.

• Like 1

Afraid I’m going to back out as well. We’re in our 70s and there’s just too much at risk. I missed the last Fart too, so this is especially hard to do but prudence prevails. Be careful out there. 

• Like 6

** START UPDATE **

The wait and see approach for START remains in place. Kinsley has been in touch with our host hotel and as of today, they will be able to accommodate our group, but without the breakfast and group meal. It is his hope and desire to have START go ahead as planned unless prohibited to do so.

:bike::bike:  A GO / NO GO announcement is planned for 2 weeks out.  :bike::bike:

• Like 1

As some of you may know, Kinsley has been out of the country, and I wanted to wait until his safe return until I announced my painful decision not to travel to START this year. As mentioned before, irregardless of the decision to host START or not - it is vital and incumbent upon all of us to make informed decisions to protect  ourselves and others and to follow local, State and National polices.

I look forward to seeing you all of you again at FART this Fall. In the meantime, ride safe!

Speaking of local polices - DaveInNO passed this along from The New England BMW Riders Association. It is my opinion that these actions are clearly focused on reducing the risk of transient Motorcycle riders unknowingly spreading the virus.

IMG_3673_001.thumb.jpg.f09471efb1ce5ad50d86f8644b7909c8.jpg

If you need something to help pass the time - here's a clip from a ride I took Friday - where we encountered flooding in the low country of Indiana - and set out to cross the water several times. Hey - at least we washed off the sodium chloride off our bikes!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2yxMWvKA7A

• Like 8
36 minutes ago, Endobobdds said:

@IndyDave - I am impressed!:18:   Who needs a GS!   - you do - maybe not!:3:

Dave, there's this great invention you should look into...it's called a BOAT :5150:

• Like 3
1 hour ago, BamaJohn said:

you're braver than I am Brother!

Or more foolish....sometimes it's hard to tell the difference. :4322:

• Like 1

“It’s such a fine line between stupid, and uh…clever”

This is Spinal Tap

I'm out.  I just cancelled my reservation at the Best Western.  I hope anyone who goes has a great time.  I hope to see everyone for a good FART.

• Sad 1
20 hours ago, Indy Dave said:

As some of you may know, Kinsley has been out of the country, and I wanted to wait until his safe return until I announced my painful decision not to travel to START this year. As mentioned before, irregardless of the decision to host START or not - it is vital and incumbent upon all of us to make informed decisions to protect  ourselves and others and to follow local, State and National polices.

I look forward to seeing you all of you again at FART this Fall. In the meantime, ride safe!

Speaking of local polices - DaveInNO passed this along from The New England BMW Riders Association. It is my opinion that these actions are clearly focused on reducing the risk of transient Motorcycle riders unknowingly spreading the virus.

IMG_3673_001.thumb.jpg.f09471efb1ce5ad50d86f8644b7909c8.jpg

If you need something to help pass the time - here's a clip from a ride I took Friday - where we encountered flooding in the low country of Indiana - and set out to cross the water several times. Hey - at least we washed off the sodium chloride off our bikes!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2yxMWvKA7A

Just keep swimming!!

• Like 1
22 hours ago, Kinsley said:

Dave, there's this great invention you should look into...it's called a BOAT :5150:

We already have ours. 

20200127_144031.jpg

• Like 1
RandyShields
23 hours ago, Indy Dave said:

As some of you may know, Kinsley has been out of the country, and I wanted to wait until his safe return until I announced my painful decision not to travel to START this year. 

Dave, we know how much you look forward to these events, so good that you made the decision that is best for you and your family, even in advance of a likely formal cancellation of the event.  Thanks for all your advance rides and planning to this point.  Look forward to seeing you in the fall.  And, btw, I second the comments on the boat options for your rides. . . .

• Like 2
terryofperry
1 hour ago, Bud said:

We already have ours. 

20200127_144031.jpg

Bud.jpg.2e5148020c2bb815281e7f8352f69b3a.jpg

Love the bow pulpit @Bud Our daughter used to sit on the bow pulpit to watch the Dolphins surf the bow waves as we scooted along.

Terry

• Like 1

Terry, I have the same memories.  My then 8-10 year old daughter loved watching the dolphins racing along off the keys.

• Like 2
On 3/23/2020 at 7:04 PM, Endobobdds said:

@IndyDave - I am impressed!:18:   Who needs a GS!   - you do - maybe not!:3:

A local GS rider - who wanted to know why he wasn't invited - claims if the Two Amigos stay dry, it's not too deep. :3:.

It true enough that I've discovered I enjoy the challenges of off-pavement riding as much as I do pavement riding. I need to get the right tool for that job. Something lighter and less complex. My riding partner from that day is of the same mind. Don't know what that is yet - lots of things to consider.

This caught my eye though . . .

https://youtu.be/FjKpuJOlkZc

• Haha 3
John Ranalletta

Dave/Ken,

Thanks for much for the time and effort you guys put into this.  We've decided to cancel.  Damn!

Ken, travel safe from SA.  Dave, maybe one of these is what you require.

image.png.1795c6107a65ec23547bb473ccb668da.png

Hello Everyone,

START 2020 in Newport, TN will certainly be different than previous gatherings if it happens at all.

As of this posting the host location is open and START is still on, so I'm posting the routes and planning to attend. If we end up canceling this START (or have a very low turnout) we will most likely schedule for the same location for START 2021.

As always, recalculate the routes you intend to ride in your software and make sure the mileage remains very close to the original distance before loading to your GPS because my Basecamp Preference settings and maps may be different than yours.
There are at least 2 options for your return to the hotel for each route with the total mileage for the day being the last number in the return's name.

We're almost a month out so some restaurants may still be closed or possibly re-opened by then. Some roads like the Cherohala have been closed, so look over the routes and make adjustments based on information you can find.

The East route is 124 miles to Little Switzerland.

The North route is 139 miles to Lynch, KY to Lamp House Coffee and these will be new roads for most of you.

The South route is 112 miles within familiar territory down to Dillsboro, NC for some BBQ.

The South East route is 93 to Pisgah Inn, so leave early and get breakfast before 10:30, or arrive after 11:30 for lunch.

The West route is 110 miles to The Brushy Mountain State Pen where you can eat at The Warden's Table (Lunch only starting at 11:00)
Self Guided tours of the penitentiary open at 10:30 (hopefully nobody in this group knows the place too well).

There are 3 loops of varying lengths and directions with one including some Gravel/Dirt marked by the GS Waypoints in the routes.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3
John Ranalletta
6 minutes ago, Kinsley said:

Hello Everyone,

START 2020 in Newport, TN will certainly be different than previous gatherings if it happens at all.

As of this posting the host location is open and START is still on, so I'm posting the routes and planning to attend. If we end up canceling this START (or have a very low turnout) we will most likely schedule for the same location for START 2021.

You'll find the GPX file here and GDB file here.

As always, recalculate the routes you intend to ride in your software and make sure the mileage remains very close to the original distance before loading to your GPS because my Basecamp Preference settings and maps may be different than yours.
There are at least 2 options for your return to the hotel for each route with the total mileage for the day being the last number in the return's name.

We're almost a month out so some restaurants may still be closed or possibly re-opened by then. Some roads like the Cherohala have been closed, so look over the routes and make adjustments based on information you can find.

The East route is 124 miles to Little Switzerland.

The North route is 139 miles to Lynch, KY to Lamp House Coffee and these will be new roads for most of you.

The South route is 112 miles within familiar territory down to Dillsboro, NC for some BBQ.

The South East route is 93 to Pisgah Inn, so leave early and get breakfast before 10:30, or arrive after 11:30 for lunch.

The West route is 110 miles to The Brushy Mountain State Pen where you can eat at The Warden's Table (Lunch only starting at 11:00)
Self Guided tours of the penitentiary open at 10:30 (hopefully nobody in this group knows the place too well).

There are 3 loops of varying lengths and directions with one including some Gravel/Dirt marked by the GS Waypoints in the routes.

Thanks, Ken.  Welcome home and thanks for taking us to SA on FB.

• Like 1

Thank you Ken and Dave for organizing these events.

Looking forward to using your routes soon. If not this spring, maybe later in the year or next spring.

Thank you guys for all the hard work.

• Like 4
RecentConvert

Thanks to all for the planning that goes into an event like this!  Candi and I were looking forward to it, but my former employer requested my assistance with the virus crisis and I am working again.   We won't be attending this spring.

We hope to get out and about this summer, perhaps we can get take out and eat at the curb when traveling.  This is the second trip we've cancelled and hopefully the rest can happen.

Take care!

• Like 2

Thanks for the routes, Ken.  And thanks to both you, and Dave, for all the effort you put into organizing this.

• Like 1

It's our good pleasure. :beer:

:bike:Kinsley:bike: and I would also like to give a shout-out to  :burnout::revit: @BMW_Ken :revit::burnout:for his invaluable help in scouting some roads we were unable to scout ourselves.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Hi All,  Susan and I are going to have to bow out on this one as well.  I know that many of you were looking forward to seeing Susan for the first time in a while, however, we just can't justify the trip at this point.  Besides the new hip, I have a bunch of high risk factors, and the potential to need a hospital and not have a bed available does not seem prudent.  Susan is currently doing all of the outside of the home travel.  I am messing around with high definition music, reading, planning rides, and playing with the dogs.  For those interested, here is an article about the lovely burn pits I worked near, in, and around for 6 months of my last tour.  https://www.foxnews.com/health/coronavirus-cause-for-concern-among-burn-pit-veterans

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

After MUCH deliberation, I must reluctantly miss the START in April.  Thanks to Dave and Ken for all their hard work putting on these events, and I look forward to seeing everyone again soon.

• Like 1

As always, thanks to Ken and Dave. 

I'm really interested to see how this pans out, not only due to Covid-19, but also my schedule.  Although fortunate to be still employed, the problem is trying to accomplished everything from my house.  

If the event takes place, it'll have to be a last minute decision for me to attend.  

Thanks to Dave for posting the video. 

• Like 2

IF it is still being held, I am in! Got to get out of the house. For my personal situation, riding a motorcycle is more dangerous than this virus will ever be. I respect the others that are being prudent and safe and not attending. 

• Like 1

Great looking routes from a great location. Too bad a conflict kept me from signing up for this years START. 

Just a note that the NC has a stay-at-home order that goes into effect at 5 pm March 30 (tomorrow) through April 29. This means all restaurants in NC will be closed for eat in, but many will still have take-out. We've been supporting our local Chatham County NC restaurants that are open for take-out. They need the business in these trying times. 

Wishing all y'all a great START. Hope to see all y'all at FART.

Mike

• Like 2
On 3/26/2020 at 7:41 AM, terryofperry said:

It was decision time for me, unfortunately I am out for this event. Will miss y'all.

Terry

real simple, no Buffets.....No Terry!  :3:

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

Considering that the Feds have extended social distancing guidelines thru April 30 and my own reluctance to spend several nights in a motel while in a pandemic, I too must cancel on START.  Many thanks to Dave and Ken for the hard work of organizing this event and planning what look to be excellent routes.  I look forward to seeing everyone at FART 2020!

• Like 4
terryofperry
5 minutes ago, 60Aviator said:

real simple, no Buffets.....No Terry!  :3:

Pretty much sealed it. :eat:

Terry

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1