IGNORED

Spring Tune-up Appalachian Riding Tour (START) April 22-26 Newport, TN

Indy Dave

Well, I better face reality. OUT!

:27::87::88:  

Thank you Ken, Dave and Ken for all the work you guys did with the the dealing planning with the motel owners, route scouting and organizing of the event. I hope we can use most, if not all these items for next years START.

I hope to see everyone at FART 2020. 

Stay healthy!

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

As much as I hate to do this, we are cancelling as well. Reality just isn't in favor of traveling for the next few weeks at least. Hope to make up for it as soon as it is possible!

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Tpoppa said:

Those routes look really nice.

I plan to ride that area in late June as long as the world is back to normal.

Hmmm … I think he's on to something here … Perhaps a slide to June? Impromptu is nothing else?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Just now, TyTass said:

Hmmm … I think he's on to something here … Perhaps a slide to June? Impromptu is nothing else?

I try to do a ride every year for the week of the Summer Solstice.  Usually warm weather & longest daylight hours = more time to ride :bike:

Me and a few buddies have had this planned, hopefully the world cooperates.

16 minutes ago, TyTass said:

What, now you want SMART? (Summer Madness Appalachian Riding Tour)

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

Craig - I've had conversations with various riders in various states (most under their own stay at home guidelines) about getting together once the smoke clears. Lots of ideas and locations - but not a normal ART location - which would mean it may not be as geographically close to some (as that is a major consideration of our ART locations). Might have a camping option.  Something will shake out - we're all on more of a wait and see as far as moving forward definitively. But I'm confident something, somewhere will come together on some scale - group size may still be a concern. Riders from many states involved, so we'll see.

• Like 5
3 minutes ago, Kinsley said:

Or maybe we go all out! Higher room rates, higher traffic - same great people.

16 minutes ago, Indy Dave said:

Craig - I've had conversations with various riders in various states (most under their own stay at home guidelines) about getting together...

So...

A. NON-STARTER?

:dopeslap:

Frankly, I don't care one iota where (except it's gotta be in the mountains) and as for what type lodging … I don't care about hotel type (except bedbug ridden).  Camping?  Yes, I'll camp, though temps become pretty important then.   

• Like 3
29 minutes ago, Kinsley said:

Lots of names possible:

Summer Make-up Appalachian Riding Tour

Solstice Madness Appalachian Riding Tour

• Like 5
57 minutes ago, Kinsley said:

Yes, sounds perfect. We just have to make sure the ice machine works.

:5188:

• Like 2

Assuming world ≠ shit...our plans are to ride 6/20-6/26...give a or take a day for weather.

We'll be riding from Ohio and will definitely try some of these routes.   Probably do a Dragon, Cherohala loop (assuming they are reopened).  I'd also like to explore a bit south of Jellico, TN (on the KY border)  if anyone has any route tips near there...send em my way.  

My group will decide between camping, a big cabin, or hotel..depending on the situation at the time.  I don't have the rally planning skills of this group...but I'm a seasoned ride leader and enjoy mountain roads and slightly snobby Bourbon.  

• Like 1

Kinsley :bike: is still planing on holding START and will make a definitive announcement two weeks out.  That being the case, we've not discussed the possibility of SMART as yet.

Sorry for any confusion :ohboy::old:.

Kinsley and I cross posted - we were both sharing ideas and thinking out loud.  My comments about conversations with others about alternative options could have been more clear. I do not know where those conversations I mentioned will head, or if they will even happen. These conversations have not been intended to replace START in size or scope, but rather began out of a desire to ride and get together when things settle down.

I'm guessing many riders- both in our group, from BMWST in general and still others - will put together some kind of substitute ride(s) and trips (solo or otherwise) to make up for lost 2 wheel time. For those that are doing this - feel free post those plans over in the Ride and Event Planning Section. That way information can be concise and easily found.

The takeaway should be that, in my opinion, I think it's likely that there will be several different opportunities for riders to meet and get together this Summer as riders group together try to gain back some some riding, irregardless and independent of START. I say "Summer" - that's just a guess. MD, VA and DC just went under more stringent Stay At home orders to be in effect until AT LEAST June 10th. This highlights the challenges of large group planning.

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 1
RandyShields

Thanks Dave.  No confusion.  Everyone understands how fluid the situation is and we really appreciate the effort that has gone into this, or a SMART ride!  I would still love to head up to TN in late April but, if not, we will find some alternatives.

Randy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Slumgullion

Ken and Dave, just in case you need some legal counsel in making these critical decisions, I know a good one in Charlotte looking for something to do!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
RandyShields
3 hours ago, Slumgullion said:

Ken and Dave, just in case you need some legal counsel in making these critical decisions, I know a good one in Charlotte looking for something to do!

Yes, I am looking for something to do.  I have been emailing Ken and Dave offline for a month -- but they are doing what clients typically do -- keeping their own counsel and ignoring the lawyers!

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
5 minutes ago, RandyShields said:

Yes, I am looking for something to do.  I have been emailing Ken and Dave offline for a month -- but they are doing what clients typically do -- keeping their own counsel and ignoring the lawyers!

If I end up in a Newport, TN jail in late April for isolating on two wheels I'll be sure to reach out...

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
RandyShields

Guys, I was looking forward to this, but have a hard time justifying the risk during the height of this pandemic.  I cancelled today.  Thanks Ken and Dave for all your work.  Hopefully, we'll be able to shift those efforts over for another date at the same location.  

Randy

• Sad 1
14 hours ago, Indy Dave said:

Could happen...

IMG_1511.thumb.jpg.0adbd6e4edce4db281c974ceb5b179f5.jpg

Let's hope that the stay at home health order's will not limit our ability to get out of the house wearing full motorcycle gear with helmets and going for a ride on our motorcycles!  It is the one thing that I do when I need to to clear my head and allow me to concentrate on something other than the stresses of life and this terrible pandemic the world is experiencing!

Because of family obligations, I had not been out on my GSA since FART '19.  DC, MD, and VA announced stay at home orders this past weekend but no indication about "leisure travel".  Went out on the bike and met up with @marcopolo in front of the US Capital and took an hour or so ride around town.  I needed that short ride with Mark more than you can imagine.   

• Like 1

Just read the DC Stay at Home orders.   Appears I should not have taken that motorcycle ride yesterday.

"The DC Government urges you to stay home except if you need:

• Essential healthcare
  • Essential food
  • Essential supplies
  • Go to your Essential job

:27:

Below is an extract from the Virginia Order, Bob.  Perhaps we qualified, at least while in VA, under sub-para 5, in that we were engaging in an outdoor activity, and we did comply with social distancing requirements (except for that selfie you took, though we did have our full gear on, including helmets):

"All individuals in Virginia shall remain at their place of residence, except as provided below by this Order and Executive Order 53. To the extent individuals use shared or outdoor spaces, whether on land or on water, they must at all times maintain social distancing of at least six feet from any other person, with the exception of family or household members or caretakers. Individuals may leave their residences for the purpose of:

1. Obtaining food, beverages, goods, or services as permitted in Executive Order 53;

2. Seeking medical attention, essential social services, governmental services, assistance from law enforcement, or emergency services;

3. Taking care of other individuals, animals, or visiting the home of a family member;

4. Traveling required by court order or to facilitate child custody, visitation, or child care;

5. Engaging in outdoor activity, including exercise, provided individuals comply with social distancing requirements;

6. Traveling to and from one’s residence, place of worship, or work;

1. Traveling to and from an educational institution;

2. Volunteering with organizations that provide charitable or social services; and

3. Leaving one’s residence due to a reasonable fear for health or safety, at the direction of law enforcement, or at the direction of another government agency."

I'm definitely out too.  As much as I like to say otherwise regarding my overall health, 45 years with T1 diabetes puts me in a (very) high-risk category.  Lot's of you guys are too!

Finally, please follow different sources for news and health information!  There's way too much misinformation and intentional DISinformation out there to be relying on any one source or group perspective!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
On 4/1/2020 at 10:54 AM, marcopolo said:

Below is an extract from the Virginia Order, Bob.  Perhaps we qualified, at least while in VA, under sub-para 5, in that we were engaging in an outdoor activity, and we did comply with social distancing requirements (except for that selfie you took, though we did have our full gear on, including helmets):

"All individuals in Virginia shall remain at their place of residence, except as provided below by this Order and Executive Order 53. To the extent individuals use shared or outdoor spaces, whether on land or on water, they must at all times maintain social distancing of at least six feet from any other person, with the exception of family or household members or caretakers. Individuals may leave their residences for the purpose of:

1. Obtaining food, beverages, goods, or services as permitted in Executive Order 53;

2. Seeking medical attention, essential social services, governmental services, assistance from law enforcement, or emergency services;

3. Taking care of other individuals, animals, or visiting the home of a family member;

4. Traveling required by court order or to facilitate child custody, visitation, or child care;

5. Engaging in outdoor activity, including exercise, provided individuals comply with social distancing requirements;

6. Traveling to and from one’s residence, place of worship, or work;

1. Traveling to and from an educational institution;

2. Volunteering with organizations that provide charitable or social services; and

3. Leaving one’s residence due to a reasonable fear for health or safety, at the direction of law enforcement, or at the direction of another government agency."

@marcopolo I think I qualified to be out riding the motorcycle based on sub-parag 9.    I would plead it was for my "mental health". :18:

Maybe I can also ride around DC based on their allowance to be out side of your home for "Essential healthcare".  in my case "mental" health!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
RandyShields
3 hours ago, Endobobdds said:

@marcopolo I think I qualied to be out riding the motorcycle based on sub-parag 9.    I would plead it was for my "mental health". :18:

Maybe I can also ride around DC based on their allowance to be out side of your home for "Essential healthcare".  in my case "mental" health!

I think you guys are good to ride in DC under the Mayor's order.  Section IV. 1. contains a similar concept found in most of these orders: "Allowable Recreational Activities."  So long as social distancing is practiced, there are a number of examples provided.  Where a law or regulation contains examples, that means that those examples are not exclusive, and other activities that fit under the language of the topic are permissible.  In NC, the governor's stay at home proclamation allows for "cycling" for example.  The drafter may well have intended that to mean bicycling, but a judge would likely have to allow any kind of two (or three) wheeled activity.

• Like 1

EndoBob was going to lead a Last Ride for Mr. Zoom. That has been canceled and we will do it at FART. Mr. Zoom's wife and sons were going to attend START, but are now planning to join us at FART.

• Like 4
Bill Murray

Under the circumstances, I have decided to cancel my reservation and not attend START. Like all of you, I was looking forwarding to seeing everyone. Folkdancer and I were sharing a room and it's been a year since I've seen him, so our reunion will have to wait a little longer. In any case, hopefully things will settle down by Fall and FART.

Thank you Jen and everyone else who has worked to organize this event.

Stay healthy, everyone!

• Like 1
20 hours ago, Endobobdds said:

@marcopolo I think I qualied to be out riding the motorcycle based on sub-parag 9.    I would plead it was for my "mental health". :18:

Wouldn't #5 give a pretty generic coverage for motorcycling too?  I mean if you're only riding and not going/stopping anywhere that's an outdoor activity with practically NO chance of contamination, right?  'cept for gassing up I guess.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Indy Dave said:

The plan was to spread his ashes at the third parking area on the Foothills Parkway. Here's the scouting ride of the Parkway:

@Indy Dave - how are you able to overlay all of the information displayed on your video.  Great addition on mountain rides. 

terryofperry
2 hours ago, Endobobdds said:

@Indy Dave - how are you able to overlay all of the information displayed on your video.  Great addition on mountain rides. 

:5146: It's magic, an illusion, it's not really there.

Terry

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

UPDATE:

START is officially CANCELED.

Stay tuned. As things develop we may have SMART (Summer Make-up Appalachian Riding Tour)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

Good Call:18:

These are extraordinary times which hopefully we will not see again.

Thanks for all of the work the both of you did in planning this event. :bike: 

• Like 1

I appreciate the time you all put into this.  The way it looks for me is that as soon as things open up again I will have a very full schedule so I probably will not have any extended time off for the rest of the year and possibly in to next year.  Ride well my friends I will continue to live vicariously through your adventures.

• Sad 1

Sorry to hear this, but the right call. Not optimistic but hopeful about being SMART by summer. Hope some point of normalcy by FART. 

Joe Frickin' Friday
1 hour ago, Kinsley said:

UPDATE:

START is officially CANCELED.

Stay tuned. As things develop we may have SMART (Summer Make-up Appalachian Riding Tour)

I copied this information to IndyDave's post at the top of this thread for better visibility.  Sad to see an event get cancelled, but in the interest of public health, it was the right call.  It's one thing to go riding solo with nobody in your helmet except you, but the day rides at these events inevitably end with intense socialization in the parking lot afterwards - exactly the kind of thing we're supposed to be avoiding right now.

Looking forward to better days in the months ahead...

• Like 3

Whew.  What a relief.   I did not want to cancel, but I also did not want to go with so many of my peeps pulling out.  Sort of hard to get all pumped up to attend when nobody else was going.  If you know what I mean. 

Even though I was still thinking about doing some riding, using the routes posted by Ken (Kinsley.)  I may want to save those vacation days for later fun.  I will have a few more days saved up because Laura and I canceled our trip to Fano, Italy scheduled for the end of May.  So I got that going for me, which is nice.

• Like 2

Sad times when good people can't get together.

Hope everyone is doing well, and all are riding again soon.

Remember, if all else fails, we are still planning on Cedar Key XVII.

Best wishes.

• Like 7
On 4/2/2020 at 6:19 PM, wbw6cos said:

WOW!  Only 33 mph, pulling .1G   That's similar to my pace.   :4907:

William - I'm sure that speed data is actually KPH . . . :4296:

@Indy Dave, okay that makes it more like my speed.  A quick google search yielded info that puts it at 20 MPH.   Yikes.  *STALL WARNING, PULL UP!  PULL UP!  PULL UP!*

(your kilometers may vary)

• Haha 1

UPDATE:

START was canceled and I have asked the hotel to cancel all reservations with our group, but if you did not cancel you may want to call to be sure.

For planning purposes, IF we end up having SMART it will be June 24th through 28th. That is the weekend between Father's Day and July 4th, so it seems to be the best option.

We will update if there are major changes in the situation and try to have firm plans by May 15th.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1