IGNORED

Time for Me to Relinquish this Discussion Board

David

I think that thread over there is kind of humorous if for no other reason than they can't go more than a message or two without tearing into each other!

That thread reminded me of why I started there, left, and have stayed here. Like I need more attitiude in my day!

Again, I thank you, David, for a civil place to discuss our passion for riding. clap.gif

BTW, I found it very amusing that the guy with just under 10K posts in 4 years says "it's about riding, not posting!" dopeslap.gif

BTW II Am I the first to notice some ol' favorite Graemlins back in residence?! clap.gif

Well David,

I'm sure others have said this, but I want to pile on. You have done a splendid job leading this site. I have had the good fortune to be here when you took over and I have watched in awe as this board morphed from Cary's RT page to it current BMW Sporturing conglomeration and it has kept its greatness. Congratulations on knowing when it is time to "move on."

I have two requests, one that you don't totally drop out and away. I like hearing from you and would miss the opportunity to learn from you and to poke at you as you poke at me. Two, come on over to God's Country (for the those who are not sure where that is, it is Northwest, and Northcentral Arkansas grin.gif) and lets ride a few miles together, and finally put on a RideSmart here.

When Carey step away, I remember someone posting a version of this, "The King is dead, Long live the QUEEN!

Leslie, anybody that can put up with Jamie deserves to be Queen!! grin.gifclap.gif

BTW II Am I the first to notice some ol' favorite Graemlins back in residence?! clap.gif

Look! wave.gif

I really missed this little guy... smile.gif

This is almost better than a new front tire!!! clap.gif

(I hope Greg is going to be OK blush.gif )

David,

I really appreciate having "found" this board when I started riding just 2 yrs ago. Thanks for your efforts.

Best of luck with your future challenges. Hope to meet you some day.

Stan

Couchrocket

Wow, I'm way late reading this thread.

David,

So much has been said. Let me add my "Huzzah!" to what's been said. Thank you.

I've often wondered how you managed to keep all the balls in the air, and do it with such apparent aplomb. All endeavors have their season, and I count myself lucky on two counts. First, to have "started out here" with you at the helm -- keeping this place true to your vision of its mission. I know how hard that is. Second, that Leslie has agreed to take this on. While I'm sure many of the folk here could do a great job, Leslie (and Jamie) certainly embody the essence of what you've built here.

Finally, on a very personal note, thanks for Riding Smart in Santa Rosa. When what you taught me finally "clicked" it made more difference in my riding than all of the study, reading, practice, etc. that I've done.

Best regards, and the best to you in whatever your new opportunities bring.

Scott

Thank you, Scott. You are one of the people that embodies what this site stands for. Your thoughts are very kind.

For those of you who have enjoyed what makes this place different from most of the rest of the web, but never had the pleasure of meeting or getting to know S. Cary Littell, Jr., you should make a pilgrimage to Marin BMW (San Francisco Bay Area) and say "Hi!" I bet he'll have a friendly smile for you, too.

scarylittelljr.jpg

For all of you who have gotten this far: you're reading this--and I'm typing this--because of an extraordinary man named David C. Baker, who selflessly took on Cary's vision as his own, and . . .

** Grew the membership from 1500 to over 10,000 members

** Nurtured the growth of the community as the number of members grew

** Encouraged us to reach out to each other in fellowship

** Sacrificed countless hours continually improving the interface (well except for killing-off the little waving guy! wave.gif )

** Managed the finances to keep the board self sustaining

** Inspired and guided the incredible team of moderators now assembled

** Promoted motorcycle safety and riding-risk management strategies

** Educated thousands to become better riders

** Facilitated numerous opportunities for riders from all over to share the experience on the road

** Challenged people to grow themselves not just as riders but as members of civilized society

** Established this simple motorcycle Discussion Board as an important part of thousands of people's lives around the globe

** Endured untold grief for being steadfast and uncompromising in protecting the family atmosphere we enjoy here

** Enriched the experience of Sport Touring on BMW motorcycles for anyone who ever spent time here

** Streamlined the interface and kept it free of ads, spam and other unwanted solicitations

** Refused to ever charge anyone for the use of the site.

It is amazing to me what David has accomplished in five years and we all owe him a great debt of gratitude. David is continuing his growth by moving on to new challenges and is leaving the care taking of this wonderful community in Leslie's very capable and loving hands.

davidcbaker.jpg

In my years of posting here during David's tenure and more recently working more closely with him and this MOST EXCELLENT team of moderators, I have grown SO much as a person and learned SO much about interpersonal communication from them all, I don't know where to begin with my thanks. I have no idea how to describe the significance of this place to me--and to Leslie--in the last five years. Thank you, David, for all that you've done for me and the rest of us: "we happy few". It has been a sincere pleasure serving under your direction and I hope to honor the work you've done here in my continuing faithful service to the community. I recently rolled over 100,000 miles on "Maynard" and when I think of all the great people I've met and the beautiful roads I've ridden in those 100K miles . . . well, I hold David personally responsible! tongue.gifgrin.gif

Cary and David have created a family of riders who represent the best of human potential and it is Leslie's intention to carry that vision forward with the same care and passion that they have shown. The "Rider" is taking a well-earned break from the "Ride Leader" position and the "Sweeper" is taking her turn at the head of the line.

"The road goes on forever and the party never ends!"

David,

I had lurked on this board for about a year before I bought my RT. When I had a problem with the Hall Effect you posted a reply to my question at 6:30am just minutes after I posted the symptoms after nursing the bike to work.

THANK YOU!! I got to meet you & thank you in person in Kerrville I think about 2 years ago at Cooper's BBQ in Llano. That was my first event I got to attend & met a bunch of ya'll.

Actually the first person I met was Leslie. I rode up to the Hamton Inn got off & Leslie just came up & introduced herself & asked where I was coming from. I said Pasadena & she replied with " Well we sure know it ain't Pasadena California." Guess my Texas twang was coming out purty strong.

So David you go where your life takes you & I think the board is left in the very capable hands of Les-is-More.

All the best,

PhillyFlash

Nicely done, Jamie. I had forgotten that David once use to have an RT. I guess that's how he ended up here. There have been so many others since then.

Lone_RT_rider
Nicely done, Jamie. I had forgotten that David once use to have an RT. I guess that's how he ended up here. There have been so many others since then.

Yeah, he is a bit of a bike ho isn't he? No loyalty....jeeeeeeese! grin.gifdopeslap.gifwink.gif

Shawn

Jim VonBaden

Interesting choice of names David (thinking ADVRider)!

I know you and I have butted heads many times, and I seem to be one of those that can get under your skin, but I do appreciate your contributions to making this board what it is!

Long Live King David! grin.gif

Jim cool.gif

Interesting choice of names David (thinking ADVRider)!

Yeah, I see that Dan uses it, too. I have it on my license plate, so that's one reason I'm using it. But also I want to remind myself of what I want to be doing more of. smile.gif

I know you and I have butted heads many times, and I seem to be one of those that can get under your skin, but I do appreciate your contributions to making this board what it is!

Long Live King David! grin.gif

Ah. The "King" thread was a timeless one indeed. tongue.gif I've always stayed out of those, too, no matter how tempting it is to tell the other side of the story.

Thanks for your kind wishes.

Second, I do not have a thick skin. The vast majority of the interaction I have behind the scenes is fun and constructive, but the insults from keyboard heroes behind the anonymity of the web hurts me.

Yes, I noticed that early-on. Perhaps even thinner than most. I noticed that you often took offense even where no offense was intended. blush.gif For my part, I learned to shut-up.

Thanks for all you've done, and enjoy the ride! thumbsup.gif

George Brown
Collectively you've had a profoundly positive impact on my life, and I thank you for making me a fuller person over the last five years.

David: I've been away from the board for a few weeks and you retire! You and this board has made an impact on my life and my motorcycling abilities. THANK YOU for your work with the board and also the RideSmart seminars thumbsup.gif

Leslie: Best wishes!

Sincerely,

David,

Thanks for the memories. I once thought you kicked me of the board because I could not login. Then I finally figured out that the new security software I installed that made me a ghost here was the only thing not welcomed. dopeslap.gif

You served your stewardship well. This board has made me a better person, and I thank you for your leadership and the direction you have taken this site.

P.S. Did Les pay you the $1.00 to make this a legal transaction? We do not want the ownership to ever be questioned.eek.gif

David,

As one of the one-time regular lurkers on the site, I imagine there must be countless thousands of us lurkers out there who somehow stumbled here one day and found so much information about riding that made such a huge impact on their abilities as riders, that they kept coming back for years.

This site has had the ABSOLUTE BEST information about actually riding motorcycles that I've found anywhere. That you were able to manage the growth of this community without losing the welcoming, inclusive tone is nothing short of remarkable.

It has been obvious over the years that some egos have been bruised, yours included. But there's been so much fun to offset the tension, even for those of us who've experienced it vicariously, that I can genuinely chuckle to myself just recollecting the stories that unfolded here.

The Ride Well forum was brilliant ! So thank you, thank you, move on, be free...

Chris Knight

Sutton, NH

David,

We've not met, and as you can see from my number of posts, I'm a fledgling noob. This was the first site I found as I began researching the purchase of my RT nearly 3 years ago. Since then, it have proven to be an endless fountain of information and entertainment.

I especially appreciate this thread, as it enlightens me as to your thougts as well as the history of this venerable site. What you have done, and Cary before you, is beyond impressive. Words fail. . . .

Although still very new to riding, this board, our community, etc., it has been my pleasure to meet up with some board regulars, noteable among them Jamie and Leslie. I was surprised, pleased, and relieved on the recent lighthouse tour to learn that the torch of stewardship has been passed to Les. That certainly portends good things to (continue to) come.

Best wished to you in all your future endeavors.

David,

Well, I knew we were in a fix as soon as you bought that eye-talian scooter!

Seriously, this is surely the best bike and rider resource on the www! Thanks mucho for all you've done to make it so, and best of luck with everything that comes your way from here forward.

Salutes and salutations to our new commander, Leslie, too!

• 3 weeks later...

David,

Guess I was the last to know. I've been buried in work for the past several weeks and just found out at the Northern California Tech Daze in Woodside where a bunch of friends gathered to work on their bikes.

Oh, I never would have known about Tech Daze, nor would I have met any of the people in attendance had it not been for your generosity. You have undoubtedly promoted more friendship and goodwill than you could possibly know.

I sincerely thank you for all you have selflessly given and wish you the best of luck going forward.

Oh, and I've met Leslie thanks to you. Your hard work will be in good hands. You've done well, David. thumbsup.gif

• 4 months later...

Charlie, if it makes you feel any better, you actually weren't the last one to hear.

I had the good fortune to meet David at the first BMWRT.COM Christmas party in December 2001 in Pleasanton, CA. David flew in from Tennessee so that he could convene with us left coasters in person. David was one of the earliest arrivals and jumped in with both feet to make the party a success.

Talking with my wife the next day after the party we recalled what a nice group of folks were in attendance and I remember speaking of David in particular. David is the type of person that really stands out, even in a gathering of remarkable people.

We wish you all the best in your future and I hope that your new found riding time has and will continue to be wondrous.

And I can't wait to start whining about the first moderator putz who moves one of my threads. tongue.gif

Wait a second. I'm the only putz - putz404 to be exact and not a moderator. thumbsup.gifsmile.gif

Thanks David for all your hard work. I suddenly feel old. First Cary, now David - has it been that long since I found this great site? Wow.

Good Luck Leslie clap.gif

David,

We've only met and not had a chance to interact, but since I came back to riding this site has been very important to me for the friendships, mechanical advice and riding information. While I haven't had the opportunity to attend a Ride Smart class I have tried to benefit from all the input to the board. This is definitely the finest discussion board I have participated in and I thank you for all your efforts.

The very best to you and your family.

Thanks for leading this site and making it a place I enjoy visiting.

There will always be those that cannot stand to be disagreed with....hope you find a few less now. smile.gif

I like your honesty,consistency and fairness.

Mistakes?? Only those not doing anything never make mistakes.

David-

My most humble THANK YOU for your wisdom and generosity over the last 5 years.

This board, and it's collective membership means a great deal to me. The knowledge, the entertainment, happiness and sorrow all contained, have made a daily impact on my life for the past three years.

I work on my bike (Thanks everyone!), change my own rubber (Thanks Mitch), and enjoy some great roads, due the wonderful selfless efforts of Cary and David!!

Welcome Leslie, I look forward to growing old(er) together.

Archived