IGNORED

Time for Me to Relinquish this Discussion Board

David

skinny_tom (aka boney)

David, (nice talking with you in Creel BTW)

I've learned more than I could ever imagine from the people of this bulliten board. I'm a better mechanic, rider and person (well, maybe that's a stretch teeth.gif). Thanks for putting forth the effort to lead us. It is very much appreciated, and I'm sure it wasn't easy.

This is by far, the best internet resource I have found for any topic. Thanks again.

NEXT!

teeth.gif

Les is the obvious choice- and she is who I was thinking of in the first sentence of your post. No offense meant to the wanna-bes. blush.gif

Thanks for all your work, David.

I hope the DB will be the same without you. Look forward to seeing ya on the bike.

Thanks, Larry. (I don't dare respond to every post here.) You're actually the first guy I ever rode with from the board, that I knew was on the board, anyway. I posted an invitation, and you met me in Monteagle. Remember that? From there followed many other rides, trials bike adventures, and track days.

Let's do it again. cool.gif

David,

THANK YOU for the most excellent job you have performed keeping this board up and running.

I look forward to seeing you at the various unevents and wish you the best of luck with the progression of your life.

Leslie,

Congratulations!

Best wishes for you in your new role.

RandyShields

David, I'm trying to come up with something witty and humorous, but it seems like the creative gene does diminish with age, so all I have is a heartfelt Thanks. This is an online community of riders, and I've made a community of friends in my four years of riding and reading here. The El Paseo rides that you founded are a fixture in my Spring and Fall, and I look forward to more opportunities to strafe the Southeast country roads with you. And maybe even a dirt road or two, now that I've crossed over to the dirty side! Enjoy.

Randy Shields

David,

Like many others that have expressed their thoughts, I concurr with all that has been said.

I don't know that any of us could truly understand the challenges you have faced over the years, but from the posts it is apparent that you have held true to your convictions and for that I and others applaud you thumbsup.gif

You deserve some new scenary and the direction you have chosen will provide you with the needed respite we all seek once in awhile.

Leslie, your humor and warmth will serve you well. Congratulations!

StretchMark

When I asked you in Mexico if anything was happening on the board and you responded "I don't know, I didn't check.", I knew the timing was right.

Thanks for everything you've done for the board and for me personally.

Great choice in Leslie!!

Might as well kick you while you're walking out the door smile.gif

goober.jpg

It's about time you finally moved the hell over and let somebody pass 'ya. I was beginning to think you were gonna hog all this fun all by yourself for all eternity.

Congratulations Julie! smirk.gif

Les, you just go ahead and point the way, we've got full tanks and we're ready to go! thumbsup.gif

Oh, and in the interest of piling on (thanks Mark!)...

3619458-M.jpg

Yeeha! Stephen

Thanks David...

And congrats Les!

I came late to the Cary years and worried myself sick (and you guys too) that the Party would be over before I got my RT. Got it! And the Party continued. Thanks David. thumbsup.gif

I still have my RT and Les is gonna continue the Party! Thanks Les. thumbsup.gif

Here's to wishing the Party goes on long after I can't hold up the RT anymore & I'm riding a Wing Trike that runs on Bio-Diesel! eek.gif

Thanks yooz guyz AGAIN! from someone who knows squat about computers and counts on you to keep things running, so I can crash the Party. teeth.gif

Yeeeeeeeehaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lone_RT_rider
It's about time you finally moved the hell over and let somebody pass 'ya. I was beginning to think you were gonna hog all this fun all by yourself for all eternity.

Congratulations Julie! smirk.gif

Les, you just go ahead and point the way, we've got full tanks and we're ready to go! thumbsup.gif

There isn't a heck of a lot I can add to what Jake said. David, thanks for steering the ship of all these years. The captain has a tough job, and you sir have done it well. thumbsup.gif

Leslie,

I am starting my diagonal parking lessons this next weekend. teeth.gif (Dyslexia sukcs(

Shawn....

"what freakin event will I make this year!!???"

SteveHebert

David,

Like all the others have said, thanks for the countless hours and dollars that you contributed to this board. Being the energetic and creative person that you are will no doubt allow you to succeed at anything that you set as a goal.

Good luck in your endeavors.

Kenny Haynes

Thanks for everything David, there's too much to list. Will you still honor the lifetime warranty on my rt from the tech day at your house? Looking forward to our next ride together.

Leslie is a great choice by the way. Congratulations to both of you.

David-

Wow. Although I've been a rather silent the past number of months after a marriage, move and career change - this board has continued to be an integral part of mine and Kim's life (now in Minnesota). It's provided much needed levity during a period of intense and rapid change.

Whether you know it or not, over these past number of years your wisdom about these bikes that are so dear to all of us have enhanced our riding experience like you would not imagine.

Your wisdom about what it means to ride well has without question made me a better, smarter and safer rider...

And finally, your insights and opinions you have shared with me both privately and publicly on here about life lessons in general helped to inspire me (and Kim) to take chances in life that I doubt we would have taken otherwise.

I know that once the snow melts a little bit more up here the Hippo will be coming out of hibernation, and with that, so will mine and Kim's re-energized desire to ride - and ride we will to your neck of the woods (something we've been wanting to do for a long time). Should you find yourself in the Twin Cities, do drop a line - and I hope you continue to hang around here.

I can't think of a better person than Leslie to take the helm of this community. For those of you who don't know Leslie (or Jamie) that well, I'm here to tell you that we're indeed a lucky bunch to have her. When you meet her, you'll know what I mean. One of the most bitter parts about moving from California was the reality of being so far away from Leslie, Jamie and the rest of the SoCal contingent out there. That part of it has really been tough - but we're thankful that there is still "this" to keep us linked.

Thanks David - for everything. Cheers-

P1010068.jpg

Thank you, David, for all the hard work and guidance. I don't see how it could have been done better. Now that you have some free time, head northwest as soon as the snow clears out of Nebraska, hear?

Pilgrim

steve.foote

Wow! Talk about a bitter-sweet week. I step out for a couple of days and the boss gives us a Dear John letter. bncry.gif

David,

Nothing lasts forever, and your decision is completely understandable. You have given so much to this endevour. It has been a tremendous pleasure to have been able to be part of this fantastic community during the years you were at the reins. It is safe to say that your finger prints will continue to appear on my montior for many years to come. cool.gif

Good luck with your future plans and we'll definately see you on the road. thumbsup.gif

Leslie,

Congrats on the new job. I can't think of a better person to pass the baton to. cool.gif

David,

I've been here a little over 2 years, new to the marque, and this place has been a great resource for me for bike issues and non-bike issues.....some good entertainment at times too.

You're a man that knows what needs to be done, and does it.

Best of luck in your endeavors and hope you enjoy the extra riding time....I'm sure Leslie will take good care of the place.

Dave

David,

Thanks for all the hard work. Now enjoy! thumbsup.gif

Les,

Now I really have to hope that bike holds up. grin.gif

David:

Thank you for all of the dedication and hard work you put into the board. I hope that your "new found freedom" provides the life enrichment you deserve.

Big thanks from the Boro!

Rick

Well, it's time when it's time, for sure. You have run a great site, with just the right touch to keep it a nice place to visit for a bit of entertaining conversation. I only hope you realize how rare an accomplishment that is! As others have said, you will be missed.

Hope you use your new-found free time for rewarding pursuits -- like taking better pics than that "other" David Baker!

Thanks again for keeping this a great site. I have camped here since well before my first beemer and will probably stay around a good while longer. Enjoy, and please continue to visit for snacks and drinks!

Effervescent
I'll be transferring ownership of the board to Leslie Edmonds

DAVID!!! YOU SPELLED "EFFERVESCENT" WRONG!!!

Thanks for all your effort and leadership!

-Eff

Umm, I was just kidding about you sending me to "Jo Momma". blush.gif (Will you stay now? We'll double what we're currently paying you!)

David, thanks to Fernando leading me to this board and the quality of what I found, you poor suckers are stuck with me! grin.gif

Seriously, stumbling across the opportunty to adopt ol' GelStra made me lucky. Being shown this board that you have so wonderfully led made a part of global community, one based on integrity, civility (something in rare commodities on the internet), collective genius, and a desire to pass on the greater joy of riding.

So, now that you're done, pitch the battery charger (you won't need it) and go wear out some tires! thumbsup.gif

Les, everything about me he said on the Mod Board is all LIES! crazy.gif

You're a brave lady to put up with all us kids. You'll do great! Thanks for being willing.

thumbsup.gif

Thank you David - you have made this an enduring tribute to your passion with motorcycles. I hope you get as much from your future riding.

Stan Walker

David

Good luck. You did good. thumbsup.gif See ya down the road again someday I'm sure!

Leslie

I take back everything I ever said about you being smart....... teeth.gif (just kidding), but it will be a lot of work.

Stan

David:

Thanks for your time and dedication. It has been a pleasure visiting, contributing and and learning from this board. You deserve a rest and a break from the tedium, so the best of luck to you.

Oh, and all these pictures have been a bit unsettling, so I'm gonna brighten up the thread a bit:

leslie_and_jamie.jpg

blush.gif

Mike Cassidy

David,

I haven't been a member for very long, but I must say that you and all the members have made me feel welcome and been extremely helpful.

I am sure that in the begining Leslie will be as nervous as we all were when we started to let the clutch out the first time we rode. BUT, I am sure in no time she will have the throttle wide open and enjoying the ride.

Good luck in your future endeavors David, and again many many thanks for being an excellent captain of this wonderful ship "BMWSportTouring".

Bryant

Thanks for everything, David. You've made this a nice place to hang out. I hope we get a chance to ride together some day - I am expanding my horizon of great m/c roads into Eastern TN and Western NC. Have done a lot of incredible roads there since November in the Miata and with the arrival of Spring, will be doing them on two wheels now.

Congrats, Leslie.

Thanks David,

My life has been sweetened since finding this board and members.

It has been an honor and pleasure to talk with you and learn from you.

You have run this board well and could not have left us in better hands,

although it does make me reconsider Leslie’s wisdom.

Hope to ride with you again.

I've been here most evenings for the last 22 months and I am almost always enlightened, humored, uplifted, shocked or stunned. The streak continues.

The King is dead, long live the Queen! grin.gif -RickP.

Firefight911

David,

After only being active on this site for a very short time, it became apparent, immediately, that this was something, NO, some place, special.

It has become a place of sanctuary for me after a long hard day. It has been my 'ride' when I could not ride.

You have created and perpetuated a global place for all us like minded spinning propellor types and you are thanked.

Les,

You have inherited a jewel. Something that is handed down from generation to genreation. It is shining very brightly and from all perspectives I have no doubt that the shine will only grow brighter and deeper with you as its jeweler. A craftsman's hand.

Thank you David. Thank you Leslie.

On more serious note, now that David is gone, maybe we will FINALLY learn how to check our oil level properly and get the straight answer on which oil and how often we should change it!!!! Leslie? thumbsup.gif

...maybe we will FINALLY learn how to check our oil level properly...

Don't count on it! Even under David's wise stewardship, happy confusion has reigned! grin.gif

Thank you David, it's been a great operation while you've been at the helm. thumbsup.gif

Even if you did dump the little wavy guy... tongue.gif

But, you certainly chose a successor that will be up to the task of keeping this place as classy as it's ever been. smile.gif

Best of luck to both you and Julie in all your ventures!

Les -- you go girl! You're probably the first, and will undoubtably be the finest, woman in charge of a DB on the World Wide Web! thumbsup.gif

No sendoff for David Baker would be complete without a photo of him and that Great Gold Whale he brought to Torrey...

dbgw.jpg

dbk18rt.jpg

David,

When I consider the time it takes to make near 20,000 posts, it's a wonder that you even bother owning a bike. Where do you get the time? I'm sure that giving up the board is a very positive step for you.

And for Leslie, I'm confident that the board has an excellent future in her hands.

David,

You and I have meet, however, I doubt that you remember me. The meeting took place at the Torrey a couple(few ) years ago when you rented the Wing and showed up a few folks.

I don't know where to start except to say that I am not easily impressed either by things or persons. I will gladly admit that I am impressed with you.You project confidence without being self important. You have made yourself available to people in person and on the site and that is something that cannot be over emphasized. I realize that doing the things that you have done these many years begins to weigh heavily on you and your family and yet you continued. I have thoroughly enjoyed your efforts and your interaction either in person or on the board. I look forward to sharing more riding time with you and enjoying your input when you see fit to offer it. I hope you enjoy your new freedom that you have so diligently earned. Thank You just doesn't seem like enough. You must know that we sincerely appreciate everything you have done. The best of luck to you and yours in your future endeavors. We hope to see you again soon.

Mat in Susanville

Leslie,

Congratulatins on your new job. I cannot think of anyone that fits the position more than you. We are all looking forward to your leadership and direction. Your common sence approach will serve you well. The sence of humor will not hurt either. The best of luck to you two in your new adventure. Hope to see you guys soon.

Mat and Becca in Susanville

ericfoerster

David,

Many thanks for what you have done. I've saved thousands of dollars and met hundreds of new friends thanks to this place.

It is an awesome place to spend time and I look forward to what the future holds.

Words can't thank you enough thumbsup.gif

David

As a lurker from way back in the Cary days let may just say this board has been a constant in my life. I will i'm sure continue to enjoy the diversity of opinions so often expressed, but on a different tack I really find it hard reading threads that devolve into personal attacks. I believe your leadership has certainly ensured that this has been something of a rarity and kept in check.

If you are ever in Australia and looking for somewhere to hang your helmet feel free to look me up

David, I'm one who has been around since the Cary day's although not as active as most. I've seen alot of changes in this board over the years, and still spend way too much time here. I can't even imaginge how much of your life it has consumed. As for the friends I have met here, well I would rather take off riding with them for a week than do just about anything else I can think of. Friendships that hopefully will last the rest of my lifetime.

Thank you for all that time, it was certainly appreciated, and good luck with your future endeavors. Leslie will be a perfect successor, of that I am sure. Thank you. smile.gif

All Hail the New Exhaulted Grand Poobah, Mama Hoon! teeth.gif

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs

Good luck to you David. If you're ever up here in the PNW, send out a word and we'll have a party in your honor...or at your expense! grin.gif

Thanks for all the hard work and devotion you gave while leading us. I hope your future endeavors are full of success and happiness. thumbsup.gif

I must chime in with the rest, thanks tons for all of the hard work. This is a great place. You seems like a great guy, and from the posts I've read from Leslie, she seems awsome too. Glad i joined when i did, wish I had known about this wonderful oasis a long time ago.

but such is life....

thumbsup.gif

David,

I'd like to say thanks for the wisdom, friendships, and fun the board has provided me over the last five years.

From the first PM exchanged about similarities in our families I've enjoyed the opportunities the board provides.

I've met several hundred riders, had many houseguests,

ridden thousands of miles, all as a result of The RT/SportTouring board.

Best wishes to you, Julie, and your family for a wonderful life together.

Thanks for the memories. cool.gif

PS

Now that you're just a member, don't expect my group to get out of your way when you try to pass us in the mountains. grin.giftongue.gif

You've helped people enjoy a passion more, created an environment for learning and open discussion, helped build skills and safer riders, and brought many new friends together so they can share wonderful, new experiences.

Greatness can be measured in many different ways, and you have achieved great things here. Thanks for all that you , and the rest of the crew, have done cool.gif

It was nice meeting you in Creel. Good luck with your next passion!

Good luck, Leslie. You must be wondering what you've gotten yourself into grin.gif

Best wishes,

Chris

Well.... leave knowing your efforts have had a very positive impact on my life. I love waking up each day and learning new ways to enjoy my RT12. Enjoy your extra time riding.

David,

I hopefull (and confident - Go Leslie!!) that the character of this board doesn't change in the absence of your leadership. One of the things that has always struck me about this place is the mutual respect each of us has for each other (oh, sure there have been some abrasive tones at times). This statement you make:

This entire "free speech" culture doesn't always come wrapped in respect and fairness, and that's definitely been a painful adjustment for me.

is part of what makes our site unique. I've visited many others but come back to this BMWST because of the single most important thing I consistently see conveyed amongst this community.

Respect

I certainly appreciate you (and the team) fostering that and know that in Les's hands it'll continue moving forward. Thanks for your patience and moderation.

Regards,

Mike O

David:

It is not like you are leaving, you are doing what is best for you. Professionally, you know what you have accomplished on the board,and you should be proud. As to the people who insulted you, take it from the source, they have issues that they are dealing with and you were just the venue for venting.

Look froward to your "everyman" posts that will be forthcoming.

Enjoy your new role in your life and ours.

Archived