IGNORED

Time for Me to Relinquish this Discussion Board

David

Fellow Riders,

About three weeks ago I decided that I wanted to relinquish leadership of this fine place. In crafting this resignation note, I thought (only very briefly) about taking a PC approach and saying all the right things, but that wouldn't really be in keeping with the honesty I've tried to convey over the years since I took over from Cary. (He started this in 1996; I took over in 2001; does that mean we're on a five-year cycle?) So that you don't have to skim ahead, I'll be transferring ownership of the board to Leslie Edmonds. I feel great about her passion and commitment to this place. The transition will be orderly, including a transfer of all unused funds for her stewardship. She has my complete confidence.

It's hard to explain how much this board has meant to me, and so I owe you an explanation of why I'd walk away from something like it, even though some of the issues are really more personal in nature.

First, I'm proud of the work I've done in guiding this from a very small board to a place with international reach, fantastic co-leaders, and a really useful site that knows exactly what it stands for and unwaveringly follows that mission. But there are other things I want to do with my life. What flipped this switch for me was telling a client of mine recently that great people never suffer from lack of opportunity--instead, they suffer from not making choices between the opportunities that present themselves. And I'd really like to be a great person. I've done what I can here, and I'm not contributing much that couldn't easily be replaced. There are some other areas opening up to me, and I need to pursue them.

Second, I do not have a thick skin. The vast majority of the interaction I have behind the scenes is fun and constructive, but the insults from keyboard heroes behind the anonymity of the web hurts me. My work life involves swimming upstream every day in a management consulting environment, and I don't need more tension in what's supposed to be a hobby.

Third, I struggle with control-freak tendencies and it's been agonizing to moderate my own involvement. I have learned a bunch about myself, but I'm still not a good fit to lead this great place. I feel a little bit like Jack Nicholson in As Good As It Gets, arranging his silverware before every meal, with an obsession that everything be neat and orderly. Unfortunately, the internet is built on the premise of disorderliness.

Fourth, I think this site is wonderful, but I don't think community happens unless people are actually interacting as humans, face to face. I want more of the latter. This site has been wonderful at making that happen for me, by the way, but I'm not looking to the internet to make more friends. I want to ride more and make them that way, facilitated by internet exchanges.

Fifth, I want to ride more. I know I just said that, but it bears repeating. It just seems that every free minute I have gets invested in all the little things it takes to run this place, and the riding is what suffers. Riding a motorcycle as a little kid, I never dreamed about running a discussion board. I dreamed about riding.

Sixth, Julie is starting a business and I'll have more responsibilities at home. This is good--I owe her years of the support that she has given my two ventures.

I have tears in my eyes when I think of all the fun times I've shared with you folks. I've met more than 500 of you personally, and spent countless days strafing back roads together. All the meals, tall tales, and shared laughing/crying will always be a part of me. There are just too many of these experiences to recount.

I especially want to thank all the riders who served with me, and who will continue to assist Leslie. The group of moderators we have is something I'm really proud of, and I'm going to miss my daily interaction with them.

Let me close by saying this. Collectively you've had a profoundly positive impact on my life, and I thank you for making me a fuller person over the last five years. I'll be hanging around the site, but just as a user (after a week of transition), and I look forward to interacting with you on that basis.

And I can't wait to start whining about the first moderator putz who moves one of my threads. tongue.gif

I'm new...so I can only say thanks....for all the extra work I don't know about...I think Leslie is a great choice...I wish your wife success in her venture and I'm sure with your support it will be.......I look forward to meeting you at Un or Torrey...or along one of them many roads we travel.

Whip

There's not much about this that surprises me, and I certainly understand your decision.

All I can say is, thank you!

You will never fully understand or appreciate the profound affect that finding this place has had on my life, both personal and motorcycling.

I wish you the very best of the vest best...

"You will never fully understand or appreciate the profound affect that finding this place has had on my life, both personal and motorcycling."

Well said Tasker thumbsup.gif

can relate to your reasons from a different perspective. don't look back...move ahead and thick skin is not required to be a success!!! thumbsup.gif hope to meet you in person someday.

Aluminum_Butt

"You will never fully understand or appreciate the profound affect that finding this place has had on my life, both personal and motorcycling."

Yep, for me too.

David, thanks for what you've built here. And best of luck as you undertake new things.

Mods: Shouldn't this thread be over in "other topics" or "board support"? grin.gif

Paul Mihalka

David,

First of all, THANK YOU! Five years of very hard unselfish work! Quote: "I'm still not a good fit to lead this great place". You sure managed to fool all of us!

Leslie: Wow! We love you! I hope it won't kill you grin.gif Big thanks for stepping into big shoes - I'm sure they will fit like Cinderella's, even if you don't have big feet grin.gif

RichEdwards

Thanks for everything. Especially, but not exclusively, the RideSmart program. You have made a difference in my motorcycling life and your wisdom and daily input will be missed. I hope to see you at El Paseo and thank you personally (there may be a beer in it for you as well.)

Welcome to Leslie. I can't think of a better person to lead this fine site into the future. thumbsup.gif

i apologize for not offering congrats (i guess) to leslie. i enjoy your input/wisdom...do you get a "company motorcyle" now!!!! grin.gif

David, many thanks for the hard work and personal effort you have put into this board. I think you have done an excellent job.

thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

Jamie, Congratulations and best of luck!

Mike

David, thank you so much for your patience, contributions, uncompromising standards, rigor and vision. This community has been a constant in my life since '02 and much longer for many others. It is the quality of the site, the people and the infrastructure that keep me coming back. Your leadership over the past 5 years has made all of this possible--and too often I've taken it for granted.

My best wishes to you as you go off to meet your new challenges and write the next chapter in your life. I'm pleased to hear you'll be riding a lot more in the future and will look forward to seeing and visiting with you at one of the gatherings around the country.

Leslie, did you negotiate for a signing bonus?! Congratulations to you. It is a comfort to know that the next steps in the evolution of BMWST are in very capable hands.

Since so far you've heard from nothing but yes-men, let me break that mold and say you're making a huge mistake in stepping down.

The board will crumble, the great people who make this place what it is today will go their separate ways and sport-touring as a whole, but most especially sport-touring on BMW motorcycles, will go the way of the dinosaurs. Your silverware arrangements really are all that holds this community together.

Leslie, the Leslie I know anyway, is a kind and responsible person who, under most circumstances, would no doubt be an execellent capitan for this ship. And she may yet succeed in rescuing what you're now casting onto the rocks in favor of "professional opportunities" and your "personal life." Time will tell, David. Time will tell.

But if you are dead set on this path of destruction and committed to dragging down the best thing in my sad life, then all I ask is this: where's the farewell party?

tongue.gif

DavidEBSmith

Does this mean that the exiles can come back from AdvRider? blush.gif

And shouldn't this thread properly be in Discussion Board Support? grin.gif

You will never fully understand or appreciate the profound affect that finding this place has had on my life, both personal and motorcycling.

Me too. And thanks! smile.gif

There can be few people here who's life has been more affected than mine by this board so David, thank you so much for all you have done, you helped to change my life for the better - way better. We haven't always agreed on board issues (ok, ever), but I hope my whining didn't play too much of a part in your decision.

Now Leslie, what you need to do is...

Jamie, Congratulations and best of luck!

Yes, and let the confusion begin. You'd think that at least one of them would have had the foresight to choose a gender-specific name. smile.gif

Thanks so much for the site. It is one hell of a challange and you did a great job. thumbsup.gif Now go and enjoy your Aprilla!

Congrats and good luck Leslie. thumbsup.gif I have no doubt you will do a great job. It is good to see a fellow SD'er getting that responsiblity! grin.gif

I hope to see you at El Paseo and thank you personally.

I will be there! Heck, I may even make more events now. smile.gif

Francois_Dumas

Wow.... big surprise ! ooo.gif

After 19.000-something posts AND looking at the other reasons you mention, I can understand it however.

I hope for you that you will become a great person, as you desire.... you sure did a great job keeping this forum running grin.gifthumbsup.gif

As for Leslie.... I don't think I could think of a better candidate to take over the torch ! thumbsup.gif

I truly wish BOTH of you luck, happiness and success in the future.

Kind regards,

Francois

beemerman2k

David, I'm one of what are probably few active members who have been here since the Cary days. He ran a fine site, and I remember when he posted his resignation so that he could run his new BMW dealership in Marin County. It's always been my desire to ride up to his shop and I have yet to do so.

Since you have taken over leadership of this site, your unique personality and leadership skills has truly taken this forum higher than I think even Cary envisioned. I watched you deal with some pretty difficult people over the years and I always felt you managed them with firmness, yet with civility and distinction -- even and including dealing with criticism posted by members on other web forums. I am aware of an instance and I watched how you tactfully revealed your awareness of the situation. Tastefully done I might add -- certainly better than I would have handled it! In any case, you always gave people the benefit of the doubt and enough rope to either climb back to a position of respect or to hang themselves, which ever they chose to do. In other words, you supported everyone, even your critics, which explains to me the source of the high morale and spirit this web forum exudes.

On a personal note, I have enjoyed our interactions off-line when controversial issues arose or when I was taking my road trip to LA from Boston -- you and several other members provided me with much support, information, and well wishing.

So I too wish you the best in your new ventures. Your fine leadership will be missed, although I have complete confidence in Leslie, your successor. Thank you for your tremendous contribution to this forum and to motorcycling and motorcyclists everywhere thumbsup.gif

Leslie, we are very excited to have you lead this web forum! Be strong and enjoy yourself; you'll soon find that you are among family here. And for the crass and insensitive among us, well, that's what "Recycle Bins" are for smirk.gif

If I can ever be of service to you, please don't hesitate to ask. I have loved this forum and logged on everyday for years now, and I cannot imagine a finer destination on the Internet. We stand by you and at your beck and call thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

Does this mean that the exiles can come back from AdvRider? blush.gif

That'll be up to Leslie (and her team). My guess is that Leslie is more patient than me at the outset, but probably more like God in "Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God" fame toward the end, just before the bodies get carved up.

In other words, I would doubt that you would see much difference. smile.gif

roadscholar

In the short time I've been here, I've learned many things, a few examples being; some great routes, washing a helmet liner, MYRP, the term "gettin jiggy wit it", and I'm closing in on posting some photos. I told Leslie awhile back this site was addictive and she heartily concurred. It's one of the nicest places in cyberspace and your efforts and skills are evident in the results. Thank you very much and good luck with future challenges.

And congratulations Leslie, you would've been my pick.

Bill F.

Mark Menard (Vita Rara)

David,

Thank you for all the work you have done. I can completely understand the need to move on. Enjoy the riding, helping your wife, and life in general. You did an oustanding job.

Thanks,

Mark

There can be few people here who's life has been more affected than mine by this board so David, thank you so much for all you have done, you helped to change my life for the better - way better. We haven't always agreed on board issues (ok, ever), but I hope my whining didn't play too much of a part in your decision.

No worries at all, Bob. I look forward to seeing you again. The last time was in Arkansas.

Now Leslie, what you need to do is...

Les, this is the guy I was talking about. Just pretend you are listening and he'll be fine.

David, saying thank you to you seems to not convay my feelings. Having not met you , or many others on this board, i do feel i have gotten to know you as a person better than a lot of people i interact with daily. so i look forword to getting to know you better as just another DB user. I for one give David a big round of applause.

Leslie...... You rock

Good luck David, and thanks. Quite clearly, you've done an extraordinary job here. This is obvious when you compare the tone of this board and the attitude of those who frequent it, to almost any other similar board.

Thank you!

Bob.

When I discovered this site it was nirvana! You apparently had a lot to do with what I like about it...I log in every day...except Sundays when I don't have access to my dsl. I really appreciate the generally higher level (intellectually, and maturity) of discussions here. I've looked at some other forums, but I have taken all of them out of my "favorites" except this one. I'm not easy to please but this forum pleases me. Thank you so much for your contribution to this creation. I wish you well for the future. Ride safe. thumbsup.gif

I watched you deal with some pretty difficult people over the years and I always felt you managed them with firmness, yet with civility and distinction -- even and including dealing with criticism posted by members on other web forums.

Well, that's certainly been a part of the decision, though after five years I'm finally at the place where I've been able to laugh about it all.

You would not believe what sort of idiots and imbalanced people the internet can grow, almost like a fungus. The threats and vindictive statements, public and private, really do seem from another world. Our stance (a little more disciplined than free wheeling) has created a fair number of strong enemies, but I've come to believe that most of them are a sign that we stand for something they hate. Some were mistakes on our part, of course, but you can't avoid all those.

This entire "free speech" culture doesn't always come wrapped in respect and fairness, and that's definitely been a painful adjustment for me.

David,

Thanks for your efforts in making this a phenomenal resource for riders. Best wishes in your future endeavors.

And good luck Les!

Leslie is a wonderful choice. As for what you've created here, this is the only bmw board that I participate in and that's because of the civility of the place.

Now, create a fake identity on here and start the paybacks teeth.gif

just kidding, best wishes to all

pete

Joe Frickin' Friday
My guess is that Leslie is more patient than me at the outset, but probably more like God in "Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God" fame toward the end, just before the bodies get carved up.

I'm thinking of Alanis Morisette in "Dogma." crazy.gif

And this thread is making me think of the ending in "Mr. Holland's Opus!" bncry.gif

And your step-down from Proprietor to Member reminds me of the end of "Men In Black!" grin.gif ("I've seen the inside of an interstellar cockroach. I don't want to remember that." eek.gif)

And I'd really like to be a great person.

Uh-huh. Good luck with that. eek.gifteeth.gifteeth.gifteeth.gifteeth.gif

We are in good hands with Mama-Hoon at the helm, but your leadership will be missed. In all seriousness, I hope you achieve the greatness you seek. thumbsup.gif

ShovelStrokeEd

David,

Thanks so much for all you have built here. To say I have been an enthusiastic participant is maybe a bit of understatement. This place has become, to me, much more than just another discussion board. Under your stewardship it has grown into one large community of friends and soon to be friends. I understand the time to move on thing and wish you well in all you undertake. Don't worry about Leslie, I'm pretty sure she can handle anything that gets thrown her way. I have yet to meet another person like her and I'm sure the board will continue to grow under her leadership. Maybe not in exactly the same direction but somewhere along a parallel line, for sure, or was that diagonal? grin.gif

We are in good hands with Mama-Hoon at the helm, but your leadership will be missed. In all seriousness, I hope you achieve the greatness you seek.

Well said Mitch, I would like to be associated with those sentiments as well.

Andy

David, I just arrived and you moved my very first post damn it grin.gif And now you have the nerve to leave? Good luck and thanks for making this a great place for info and comedy.

Good luck to you also Leslie thumbsup.gif

I don't have much to add whats already been said here. David, I thank you for keeping a really great community going over the years. This board has a truly unique personality. Good luck in the road ahead.

Leslie, I know you will add your own personal touch to the mix as you take this group to the next level. I wish you great success as you take over.

tickle_my_tummy

Hey David - what you do/ have done with this site is an incredibly difficult task and I think you have done it fantastically well. The internet can never replace the genuine and natural interaction of people. Heck, they're still trying to build computers that replace humans aren't they? In some tasks it is possible. In feelings, emotion and logic however, the person still can't be replaced. I understand what you say and confusion or misunderstanding is the product of the internet. You must know this more than anyone. I sincerely wish you a very happy 'retirement'. The UK's got some good roads!

smile.gif

And Leslie - good luck smile.gif

Dave McReynolds

Thank you for running this board, David!

While I've ridden motorcycles for a long time, the last several years that I have participated in this board has been the first time I have felt part of a community of motorcyclists. There isn't any other community of motorcyclists that I really ever felt I wanted to be a member of. At the time I stumbled across this board, I had recently bought my first BMW, and I was wondering, as I sometimes still do, what would possess me to spend so much money on a motorcycle, and was searching for something to do with it other than just ride it up and down the street. Not being inclined to race or wrench on the thing, I found my nitch in touring, and along with forays on my own, have enjoyed meeting folks from the board at Torrey. Other than that, I sometimes stick my nose in places where it is not wanted, and hope I haven't been too much of a burr under your saddle. I also hope to meet you one of these days, although your fall Torrey schedule and my spring Torrey schedule haven't meshed so far.

Les went out of her way to get to know me at Torrey, and introduce me to other folks, and I look forward to participating in the board under her leadership.

In the short time I've been here, I've learned ......... the term "gettin jiggy wit it".....

Well that's just charming. I mean to say you go to all that trouble to make a fool of yourself in front of thousands of people all over the world and the CEO just up and leaves!!

Seriously though, David, the short time I have been here I've learned heaps and "met" a whole lot of grouse people. Your leadership and integrity has meant a lot to us all and will be sorely missed.

As for Leslie.... Time to get them big boots on and start wading in there grin.gif

All the best to you both, your families and your endeavours grin.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

David,

While I've been a member of the board for a while, I don't post much because I don't usually feel like I can contribute much to the threads I've seen. However, I've gained a wealth of information on riding and working on my bikes from the people on the board. I've also appreciated your responses to my PMs. Thanks for running things so smoothly.

Best Wishes, and I hope to meet you some day.

I've been watching this forum for a while, anticipating this announcement, and wondering how I'd feel when I actually saw it. Even though we've not met (yet), I'm a little sad, for the reason Tasker cites:

When I joined this group, I had no bike, no clue, and no friends who ride. The jury is still out on the clue part, but I've now had 2 bikes I love, as my primary transportation, my wife and soulmate has become a rider (and member) too, I've met some truly wonderful people, and I've experienced so much more than I could ever have imagined the day I registered. And what really impresses me, is that I'm just one "amen" in a big congregation. So, KUDOS AND MANY THANKS!

Leslie, cyber hug commin' at ya. You go, woman!

TracerBullet

David,

Thank you for your dedication and hard work. Your input has made this a better place.

Good luck in your endeavours and I hope to have the opportunity to see you out on the road

sal

Could this be an early April Fools joke? blush.gif

Damn, I guess this means I have to get a life too bncry.gif.

Thank you the effort that you have put forth to make this a place I visit waaaaaaaay to much. The amount and quality of the info that comes from its members is unparralled. Leslie will have a tough time maintaining this site in its current state [i'm sure that is what people told you when you first took over grin.gif] - but imagine where this site will be after the next five years ooo.gifteeth.gifthumbsup.gif

LEAD, FOLLOW, or, GET OUTA the WAY! smirk.gif

Thanks to Leslie for stepping up! thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

Dear David,

Thank you for making this board such a fine place.

See you soon as a member.

Wishing you the best, Jonathan

Every calendar's days are numbered

This does definitely remind me of the end of Men in Black. Will Leslie get to shine the "flashy thing" light in your eyes so you forget everything? cool.gif

Just don't forget to post every once in a while and keep coming to events! thumbsup.gif

Fine job, captain.

Welcome to the helm, Leslie.

Thanks David,

I hope to see you at the gatherings and good luck with your new adventures where ever they lead you.

Ken

Archived