IGNORED

UnRally V -- The Return to Gunnison: Excited chatter thread!

Tasker

Alright, now I've gone and done it. Added a third beemer rally to my schedule.

Hiawatha this coming weekend, then Iowa, then UN.

Returnees, anything that's a "must see/do" while out there?

Paul Mihalka

Well, two more weeks to lift-off! I just got new tires mounted on my spare wheels, the ones on the bike are good but not THAT good. Spare wheels go on the bike next weekend, with some other checkup stuff. Getting closer! thumbsup.gif

Alright, it must be time for me to leave. Think I'll go east a bit before heading south and back west.

See everyone in 15 days.

Mike Cassidy

What the heck??? I'm in Grand Forks, ND today. I don't think that's close to Gunnison, is it? I gotta get a better GPS.

Well I might as well go to Aerostich in Duluth tomorrow (since I'm so close).

Rode through a big hailstorm today and it caught up to me again just after I got a motel. Fantastic light show.

Mike Cassidy

Wow, I just got in at the last second. I did not even dream I would be able to go to this ride, then last Sun. my work sched. opened up, talked to the boss (wife) and she said have a great fathers day and take off on a ride. I called Ken, and he said that I could still register, so here I come. I will be leaving KC on Sun. the 18th. I did a pre-packing today, just to see what all I want to take, will probably do a couple more just for the fun of it. Thanks Ken for letting me in so late, now I just have to figure how to contain myself for the next couple of weeks. I usually have a hard time sleeping the last few day's before a bike trip, but allready I have had a hard time getting to sleep the last couple nights thinking about everywhere I wan't to ride. See you all there. Phil

Phil, I'm glad to see i'm not the only one to enjoy child like excitment at the praspect of a truly great week of riding. I look forward to meeting you.

Man, Oh MAN!!!! "Childlike excitement" describes us to a "T"! grin.gif

Les and I are already leaving over a week early (the 11th, stopping by Arkansas to visit family en route) and we're still chomping at the bit to get on the road! clap.gif

We can't wait to see all our internet friends we only get to see a few times a year! I mean, this place is great and all, but there's just nothing quite like a handshake (or hug!) and a well told Ride Tale told in the rider's own voice while sharing a cold one after a day of awesome riding!! I'm tellin' ya--that gets pretty damn addictive! smile.gif

Is is Sunday yet??!! dopeslap.gif

Is is Sunday yet??!! dopeslap.gif

I'm sure it's Sunday someplace in the Universe, so get on outa there! grin.gifthumbsup.gif

And leave that darned Sock Monkey in the kennel this time.

Can't wait!

Doug

What the heck??? I'm in Grand Forks, ND today. I don't think that's close to Gunnison, is it? I gotta get a better GPS.

No, Grand Forks is not anywhere close to Gunnison, it's clear on the other side of this:

69761166-M.jpg

Head West, Young Man, to the land of the Twisty Roads! And be quick about it!

I just rode out to see my son at school in GF early May, damn there's a lotta flat straight roads between here and there tongue.gif. Had fun doing it though. Glad you made it through the hailstorm, those aren't any fun on a bike!

See ya soon!

Doug

And leave that darned Sock Monkey in the kennel this time.
I'm tellin' ya, that was the LAST time I offer to monkey-sit ole Socko for Laney! eek.gif

Of course now if something goes wrong on this trip, I'm out of convenient excuses!! grin.gif

Dennis Andress

What? There's only a week left???? Ohmygosh, I need tires. The Ohlins have to come off for a rebuild (after the Un frown.gif ). The Autocom needs to be mounted and it's wiring made sane. And then, there's oil and filters to deal with...

apart.jpg

Man I hear you, only a week left?! I just spent a couple of hours with the GS putting new fork seals in and will mount new tires Saturday. I've got a killer week next week, out of the town for work Monday through Thursday late and will only get 1/2 day Friday to finalize everything before leaving Saturday AM. I love my job, but it's getting in the way of my life! Gotta get all manner of stuff done this weekend!

Man, Oh MAN!!!! "Childlike excitement" describes us to a "T"! grin.gif

Evidently we aren't the only folks getting excited about the riding season. This lovely sight greeted me last evening as I rode my GS home from work:

74381272-M.jpg

Also chatted with four young guys at the gas station that are touring from Minnesota to Yellowstone and then heading East through Cody. You all remember Cody, right?!?

OK, I'm officially getting crazy to head out on the bike now!

Doug

The "excited chatter" thread is an ironic place to put this, but after trying to make this work, I'm not going to be able to attend. bncry.gif

I'll miss you all. I was looking forward to seeing my friends and riding with them.

Thanks to the organizers for all the hard work.

You all be safe and have a blast! thumbsup.gif

PhillyFlash

Bummer. We were going to have you lead the Ex-Proprietor's Ride to Creede and back. You realize you're putting an end to a long established tradition. frown.gif

Sorry you can't make it. Gonna miss you.

The "excited chatter" thread is an ironic place to put this, but after trying to make this work, I'm not going to be able to attend. bncry.gif

I'll miss you all. I was looking forward to seeing my friends and riding with them.

Okay, this thing is cancelled! wink.gif

David, sorry you and Julie will not make this UnRally!

Bummer. We were going to have you lead the Ex-Proprietor's Ride to Creede and back. You realize you're putting an end to a long established tradition. frown.gif

Sorry you can't make it. Gonna miss you.

Thanks, Howard. Before penning my cancellation in this thread, I read back through my Ride Tale from the first Gunnison. It sure brought back memories:

I don't know what to say about Gunnison. I just flat had a good time. Besides meeting all of you, highlights included these things.

First, eating dinner with Cary, FB, Big Mak, Denny, and several others when Jamie came up to us and told us how he spent hours and hours in front of the BBS laughing and enjoying our posts while he fought cancer. He said this with tears streaming down his face.

Second, getting the chance to ride with Cary and hanging with him all day. As FB mentioned, he subscribes to the Pridmore school. Smooth, very little braking, nice lines, strong, killer cornering. At every stop he said: do you want to lead? I don't want to hold you up. And every time I said: "Nope, I'd just having fun tooling around back here." We'd occasionaly comment on how one or the other of us blew a corner, but it was just a riding experience I won't soon forget. He was a little rusty the first 10 miles as he got used to someone else's bike, but then the Cary I'd heard about kicked in and we were off. Near the end of the day, just outside Gunnison on 114 (or is it 116?), through those narrow canyons, we came across a GS Adventure, two-up. He wasn't moving very fast, but when we went to pass, he clearly wasn't going to allow that to happen. So a chase ensued. He wasn't really as skilled as the speed was calling for, and was scrapping the sh*t out of his center stand (and the GSA has lots of clearance). At a few points it looked like he might buy the farm, so we eased up so as not to cause any injury. When we deadended into 50, I pulled up next to him and he had a very nervous grin on his face. Maybe because he hadn't ridden that GSA to that extent yet, or maybe because he was dreading what his SO was going to do to him later! I had a great time with Howard, FB, and several others that day on the ride.

Paul Mihalka

frown.giffrown.giffrown.gif

There where a few key people that as the deadline got close that I thought, where the _ell is ________'s registration. You included of course.

Then you said you might not be able to get it all to work out and I didn't hardly believe you. An UN without Baker??? WTF?

And now you're trying to pretend you're really not coming! Hah!

But who will I debate servo-brakes, loud pipes, and pollution controls with??? confused.gifbncry.gif

The "excited chatter" thread is an ironic place to put this, but after trying to make this work, I'm not going to be able to attend.

The Moles have been whacked! frown.gif

We'll miss you too. Maybe. wink.gif

Very sorry to hear the news. bncry.gifbncry.gif

I was looking forward to meeting you face to face.

Perhaps we will lift a glass in your honor at the KOA bar. clap.gif

Yeah, ditto the above! I'm sorry you can't make it David, I was looking forward to meeting you. I wanted to personally thank you for all your efforts over the years with this website and related events, I have learned so much and am a safer and better rider for it. I've met some great folks via the site too, that's the best part!

Best to you and yours, and I will hoist one in your honor with all those other grateful people!

Doug

Lander, WY

3 months and one day of excited chatter and look how many pages there are!

I'm getting excited, got a package from Riders Warehouse today with some goodies for the road.

Counting the days. clap.gif

Doug:

That road could be anywhere in South Dakota, North Dakota, Eastern Montana, Sakatchewan or Manitoba!!! They all look the same.

'kay I must officially have run into all the crap weather in North America. More rain in Minnesota/Wisconsin/Michigan. No rain in Ontario, though. Started again as I was trying to go around Montreal, and straight into my face trying to get north along the South Shore of the St Lawrence. Finally gave up at Rimouski,QC and headed into the Matapedia Valley (highlight of the trip) before going south and guided in by my brother-in-law on side roads into Halifax.

What's the date today? OMG, I only have 9 days to get to Gunnison from Halifax. Hmmm, south first, right?

Mike Cassidy

Today is the 9th. I leave in the late afternoon on the 17th. The list is long.

I finally got a roommate. I don’t know him. Philly Flash hooked us up. Someone he works with. We’ve e-mailed, but all attempts to call him have failed so far. Gotta at least talk to him.

Sat. 6/10 after work. Home by 6-ish. Be sure to praise all the landscaping the wife is having done. Don’t complain about the bill. Practice saying "Yes, dear, that’s very nice, dear." Wash the bike. Change the rear drive lube. At 85K I’m starting to change it every 3K and examining the drain plug very closely for shavings. So far, so good. Start stripping the tupperware. If time permits, remove the shocks.

Sun 6/11 prepare a lot of Reflective Kits so I can leave my wife with a substantial inventory to fill orders while I’m gone. That should take most of the day. Also, gotta go do the week’s grocery shopping with the missus. If I didn’t finish removing the shocks, do so at the end of the day.

Mon 6/12 go have blood taken at 7AM for lipid scan for upcoming Dr.’s appt. Take wife’s car to insurance estimator by 8:30 to evaluate recent damage when she got hit in a fender bender. Get on the freeway and drive 61 miles to Works Performance. I have a 10AM appt. to have my shocks rebuilt. Drop off shocks and go meet with the guy who’s company cuts and sews our other products. We’re working on a new product that’s not for the motorcycle field. Eat lunch with Eli, and old friend and now the National Sales Manager for Tour Master. Eli is what Wurty will be in 15 more years. Lovable, all talk and no action. The women understand this, but the sheep don’t. They’re still scared. Back through heavy downtown L.A. traffic to home and to fill the day’s orders.

Tue 6/13 back to work at the dealership. It’s our long day. We close at 7PM so I’ll be there until at least 8PM. Then it’s off to my Dad’s to help put him to bed. He’s aged, in a wheelchair and Medicare only pays for someone to come in and help a couple of days a week. My sister and I pick up the slack. Tue/Wed are my nights. She’ll cover for me when I’m in Gunnison. Home by 10PM. Fill orders until midnight.

Wed 6/14 another work day. Remember that Dr’s appt? 4pm. Haircut at 6:30. Yes, I do have to have it cut. Stop laughing. Low-cal dinner somewhere (probably a fast-food salad), then off to my Dad’s to help out again. Home by 10. Fill orders, go to bed.

Thurs 6/15 my shocks should arrive from Works Performance, all rebuilt and looking new. Go home after work and install them, refit the fuel tank and put the tupperware back on. If I’m lucky I’ll be done by 10PM, fill orders for an hour. Pack a bag with my boots and riding pants and throw it in the car to take to work the next day. Then go to bed.

Fri 6/16 work all day, then go home and pack. Clothes, tools, personal items, rain gear, spare parts (plugs, cables, alt-belt), Gerbings, ice cooler bag for my Camelbak bladders (one with water, the other Gatorade --- the cooler sits on the back seat). Be sure I have my cell and charger, my digicam and charger, and that I take my XM out of its portable unit and hook it back up to the bike. Be sure I have my new Al Schibi earplugs w/speakers (absolutely awesome sound and comfort) [/unabashed plug], plus about a hundred more small details like putting a Colorado map in my tank bag and packing extra batteries for my FRS.

Sat 6/17 ride to work. Work. PRAY that the dealership is able to close on time. We don’t leave until our customers do, and even though we’re suppose to close at 4PM on Sat, I’ve stayed there until 9PM on a couple of occassions as people just kept coming in. Customer service ya know. When we finally close, change out of my work clothes and stuff them in the bag that I brought my boots and pants in yesterday (my wife will pick the bag up next Tues). Put the rest of my gear on and leave for Mesquite, NV around 4PM (hopefully) and get there around 10:00. If I leave the dealer too late, just get as far as Stateline or Jean, NV and grab a cheap room.

Sun 6/18 take off at 5AM, right after Mickey D’s opens, and head the last 26 miles into Utah, lose an hour with the change to mountain time, and head for UT14 out of Cedar City. Over to UT89. Up to UT12 to Torrey. Grab lunch at Brinks Burger. Head east on UT24 to Hanksville, then north to I-70 to Grand Junction and south on CO-50 to Montrose. An easy 650 miles, about half of it scenic and twisty. Spend the night with friends in Montrose.

Mon 6/19 spend the morning taking care of some personal business in Montrose, then make the last 60 miles into Gunnison. Relax and ride and eat and make new friends for three very short days, then head for home. Good heavens, I cannot wait.

Paul Mihalka

One more week to lift-off!

This weekend mount the spare wheels with new tires, change oil/filter (rest of service is done), mount standard saddlebag lids instead of my usual city lids. May be even wash the bike so it can get a fresh coat of bugs wink.gif One more week of mostly work (not as intense as Fernandos's) but it will be hard to keep my mind on it... Then I'm gone...

Happy Birthday, Paul! clap.gifthumbsup.gif

The scoot is about the ONLY thing ready. After having that big old SILVER trunk on the RT, I just could not stand to look at it, and had the trunk color-matched.

The tires have only 1200 miles on them as riding time is a bit short this spring because of being so busy with work, and endless graduations, weddings, etc.

Time off all summer is gonna be, uh....precious. bncry.gif

No, the problem as usual is packing all the required gear for rain, sunny, cold, warm...for two-up on the bike. It's looking like a box might be headed out to Gunnison via UPS.

Those ESA shocks will apprerciate a little less weight on them if I do that. wink.gif

We are getting a bit excited (that's a BIG deal for a stoic Minnesotan grin.gif), and have most things accounted for (cat sitter, etc.).

Pack the scoot early Friday, cut the darn yard one more time, then mid-day we are off to Lincoln, NE. for Friday eve., riding with G Floyd.

Aw, geeze...I almost forgot..b'day card for Barb (June 20!!!). Anyone wanna play Tues. night out there for a Barb's b'day dinner?

Damn, Fernando, I hope you've got good genes and are managing all this stress and hoorah well! I'm exhausted from just reading your post!

It will be great to see everyone, SOON! I've got a busy week coming too, but nothing like yours!

Doug

Yeeha! Stephen

My scooter is sittin' in the Garage, packed and ready to go. thumbsup.gif

Mon thru Fri... work, eat, sleep, repeat.

Soon as ridin' buddy Byron (Trinity) gets back from a Business Trip, we are Outta Here! clap.gif

696959-00000075a.JPG

See ya' on the Road somewhere!!!! wave.gifwave.gifwave.gif

696959-00000075a.JPG.6169868ca1e0e1cea15d9787dd0c5c90.JPG

Damn, Fernando, I hope you've got good genes and are managing all this stress and hoorah well! I'm exhausted from just reading your post!

Well, I could simplify my life if I decided that the shocks don't ABSOLUTELY have to be rebuilt right now. And the truth is, they don't. But they are starting to show signs of wear. I suppose I could make it to Gunny and back and still have a decent-handling bike if I didn't rebuild them. I'll have to see how thing shake out.

Well, I could simplify my life if I decided that the shocks don't ABSOLUTELY have to be rebuilt right now. And the truth is, they don't. But they are starting to show signs of wear. I suppose I could make it to Gunny and back and still have a decent-handling bike if I didn't rebuild them. I'll have to see how thing shake out.

I rode around on my RT with completely blown bearings attaching the final dirve to the swingarm and the swingarm to the tranny housing for doG only knows how long and the bike handled fine tongue.gif. I just about lost sphincter control when I realized what I'd been riding on.

57289476-M.jpg

If it isn't safe I wouldn't ride it. If they can wait, hopefully that will help so you won't have such a crushing week!

See ya soon!

Doug

OK, heading into the final week. If only I can keep this trip out of my head and think about work, it should go pretty quick. Oh hell, who am I kidding, this week is gonna $uck. 5 day's and a wakeup and I am outa here.

Wow!

Finally!

Two days and counting until the Knappster and I head west toward Gunnison!

I picked up the shirts and "other items" yesterday and they look great, and I can't wait until everyone sees them. Thank you for your great design work, Matt Staller!

Last night, Mr. Knapp, via Yahoo IM, directed my efforts at downloading all UnRally maps to my 2610 (since I do this procedure so infrequently, it's like starting from the beginning everytime for me confused.gif).

Anyhoo, I'm thrilled to be finally getting this UnRally started!

See all of you soon!

Be safe!

Have a blast!

thumbsup.gif

Dateline Monday June 12, 2006. After a 1200 km day (half of it through rain) Sunday from Halifax, NS to Merrimack, NH I was set to go about 1100am after an oil chnage in my brother's garage. 30 miles west of here the bike started to hesitate and then 10 miles later it stalled at a turn and I couldn't restart it. No dealer open on Monday for 300 miles so I dismantled a large portion of the bike looking for the most common problems but couldn't get her going again. Had to phone for a tow - and the local AAA/CAA twing company wouldn't tow it. "I don't do motorcycles". Into "administrator mode" to negotiate with him, probe to find out what equipment he had/didn't have (I had two of my own tie-down straps for ferry crossings) and three hours later the bike was safely sitting in the BMW dealer lot in Merrimack.

Crossing my fingers this morning.

Mike Cassidy

wE'LL aLL bE prayin' for good things the rest of the trip for you Mike...now mount that steed and ride - boy - ride.!!

Yeeha! Stephen

Bone!

I vote for you as "Mr. Most Excited Chatter"! clap.gif

Are you pumped about this trip or WHAT!!!!!!!!! thumbsup.gif

Kain't wait ta' see ya' my friend!

Bone!

I vote for you as "Mr. Most Excited Chatter"! clap.gif

Are you pumped about this trip or WHAT!!!!!!!!! thumbsup.gif

+1

Bone!

I vote for you as "Mr. Most Excited Chatter"!

Are you pumped about this trip or WHAT==

i tHINK tHE word here is "jacked up"...like that country song that what'sir-head sings...

"all jacked up..." -- yup yup yup ..!

+1

Dateline Monday June 12, 2006. After a 1200 km day (half of it through rain) Sunday from Halifax, NS to Merrimack, NH I was set to go about 1100am after an oil chnage in my brother's garage. 30 miles west of here the bike started to hesitate and then 10 miles later it stalled at a turn and I couldn't restart it. No dealer open on Monday for 300 miles so I dismantled a large portion of the bike looking for the most common problems but couldn't get her going again. Had to phone for a tow - and the local AAA/CAA twing company wouldn't tow it. "I don't do motorcycles". Into "administrator mode" to negotiate with him, probe to find out what equipment he had/didn't have (I had two of my own tie-down straps for ferry crossings) and three hours later the bike was safely sitting in the BMW dealer lot in Merrimack.

Crossing my fingers this morning.

Mike Cassidy

Mike, I don't know if this would be applicable in your case, but I had a similar problem last Fall during Torrey X, right after getting gas at a small gas station in Koosharem, UT. Apparently there was some water in the gas, and the fuel injection barfs at that! An old local rancher had some Sta-dry (most gas additives, like STP Gas Treatment, will also work). That got me going again after a minute or two of sputtering.

If the symptoms sound familiar, you might try it. Now I always carry some when I go "off the beaten path".

I CAN'T WAIT TO SEE ALL OF YOU!!! clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

blush.gif

Oops. Sorry, but I do feel better now. grin.gif

I'm leaving early Saturday, probably to Salina,UT, then somewhere around Moab, and into Gunnison on Monday.

And on two wheels this time around! thumbsup.gif

I can't wait!

[/understatement]

Ditto...!! Only 120 more hours...(and counting).

Regards,

Mike O

P.S. Good barbque spot right in the center of town. I figure that's my first stop on the way to KOA. clap.gifclap.gif

no further word there mike?

the fat lady is already humming a warm up sonata... soon she starts singin.... as i recall "ride of the Valkeries... and then i'm off in a cloud of camel $h1t... clap.gif

so looking forward to see familiar faces from Cody and meeting some new ones too thumbsup.gif

I'm leaving early Saturday, probably to Salina,UT, then somewhere around Moab, and into Gunnison on Monday.

And on two wheels this time around! thumbsup.gif

I can't wait!

[/understatement]

Hey Laney, if you're in Moab Sunday night look us up! My buddy Wayne and I met you at Spring Torrey last year, we're headed to the UnRally with two other guys. We're taking the long way, Sat and Sun nights in Moab, then Monday tour Mesa Verde to Durango, then Tuesday Durango to Gunnison. We'll be at the Sleep Inn on South Main. There's a great brew pub down the street.... thumbsup.gif

Ride safe, hope to see you in Moab, if not then we'll say Howdy in Gunnison.

So, whatcha riding this time? Sorry about all that foul business with your "Buddy"....

Doug Gilmer

Well.....unless the Good Fairy should drop in and wave her magic wand....I'm out bncry.gif,due to work related issues,that I have been unable to resolve.

This sucks,sounds like it is going to be a great event.

I hope everybody has a great time and I'll see you at the next one. clap.gif

Archived