IGNORED

UnRally V -- The Return to Gunnison: Excited chatter thread!

Tasker

At the risk of clogging the UnRally V planning threads, I thought that it would be nice to begin the "excited chatter" thread for UnRally V!

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs

I can't wait for this! I'll be leaving Seattle on the 10th and take the curvacious route to Denver and see my folks, sister, niece, in-laws for a week or so. Hopefully I can ride through Rocky Mtn Natl Park. Then I'll drive out to Gunny on the 19th, do the Un, then have my sister and niece come out for a few days. The curvy ride home will have to take three days or so. I think the last night before coming home will have to be at the Lolo Hot Springs.

I can't wait I can't wait I can't wait!!! smile.gif

My KGT failed on the way to Gunnison last year and I didn't get a chance to run the 100,000 foot loop I mapped out. I'm packing the map with me and with any luck my RT will carry me to Gunny and to a second chance at running the loop. It will be an all day ride and it would be a lot of fun to pull in a few others to experience the madness of climbing one high mountain pass after another..all day long.

Excited? You betcha I'm excited about Colorado. In fact, I'm so excited I am going a week early!

Well not exactly. I'll be riding Colorado the week before Unrally. Wish I could have pushed it to the next week to meet some of you folks. But I'm still excited about my trip. I know you guys are going to have a great time so you should be excited too! thumbsup.gif

Ride safe,

Peter

Calvin  (no socks)

Greg, I don't know if I'm going to bring the GT or the Ks.. I'm in for some mountian passes...100,000 feet? That would take 1000 years in Florida... grin.gif

Paul_Burkett

This is going to be one of the highlights of the summer for me, another week in the Gunison area is just what is needed to start the year off with a bang.

Greg, I don't know if I'm going to bring the GT or the Ks.. I'm in for some mountian passes...100,000 feet? That would take 1000 years in Florida... grin.gif

This is going to be my maiden voyage on the GS. My Dad's family is from Gunnison, so I've spent a bunch of time there over the years. Two summers ago I rode the RT down to a reunion and had a blast, even did a few dirt road passes on the RT. That was in July, 95*F going through Montrose on my way to Silverton one day. June will be better!

Here's a few photos to get your juices flowing!

Red Mountain pass above Silverton:

33955936-M.jpg

Silverton:

33955937-M.jpg

Kebler Pass (btwn Crested Butte and Paonia):

35739876-M.jpg

Black Canyon of the Gunnison (Paonia back to Gunny):

35739873-M.jpg

Is it June yet??? bncry.giftongue.gif

This picture, stolen from a post above, is enough to get anyone excited.

33955936-M.jpg

That is not a sign you will see in S. Illinois. grin.gif

9539483-M.jpg

As you can see, I'll follow Tasker anywhere. grin.gif Can't wait to see the mountains again.

Wasn't this taken just before we encountered that damn dog that was just laying in the middle of our lane, in the middle of a blind right-hander, for the second day in a row, while he seemingly was laughing at us? eek.gifconfused.gifsmirk.gif

What an awesome trip that was! thumbsup.gif

Where are the Park Rangers? I thought they ran interference for you guys?

teeth.giftongue.gif

I agree, the 15mph corners just north of Red Mountain Pass aren't my favorites either, I just liked the sign and the view. Those switchbacks are pretty tight and there's lots of rubber-necking traffic. I was riding down toward Ouray a few minutes after snapping this photo and a Harley rider and pillion were coming up. Just as they passed me, she turned in her seat to snap a photo over her shoulder and damned near caused them to crash. They're very slow corners and that sudden weight shift just about took them down, I barely missed them when they swerved into my lane. Of course they were in full Harley gear, flip-flops, tanktops and sunglasses tongue.gif. It was close. Then just below the switchbacks (on the long, clear straightaway???) somebody in a Ford Expedition with Texas plates had gone off the road and rolled several times just minutes before I rode by. Several cars had already stopped so I kept going. I was almost to Ouray when the ambulance and police came zooming up the road. On the way to Silverton that AM I had seen a T-bone crash just outside of Montrose. A very sobering day of riding.

Lesson: Pay Attention to the Road and Your Driving (Riding)!!!!! Sightseeing is best done as a passenger or from a stop.

been on all the paved ones in colorado.

there are 2 roads which can not be missed!!!!!!!!!

-141 from whitewater to naturita over the dallas divide to ridgeway (either direction) > this is the full monty for colorado > more so than 550/red mountain, which most people will buzz about.

http://gorp.away.com/gorp/activity/byway/co/iti_una.htm

been writen this the one of the best sporttouring roads in the world. best in CO! stop in gateway for gas/food.

-133 from paonia to carbondale over mc clure pass (this is THE direction to ride it! S to N) to incorporate a loop, head west of gunnison and take the road over the blue mesa dam towards crawford/paonia > stop at overlooks > watch for sand in corners!!! after carbondale head east to aspen over independence pass > south to poncha springs . west to gunnison

Paul Mihalka

Both roads, 141 and 133, are superb, I rode them again las fall on my way to Torrey. I was warned that the road between Blue Mesa Dam/Gunnison and Hotchkiss, rt. 92, on top of the Black Canyon of Gunnison, is spectacular but really deer infested. It was true. I saw literally hundreds of them, some just standing on the road in groups.

colorado has been getting walloped again with more snow.

since this is an early unrally in colorado if you plan on gs riding (imo)... hint > late july early aug for those in the know and more of you seem to be liking the dirt. if you hope to ride some dirt plan on soutwestern routes! here's snow packs and it keeps coming. gunny north will have snow on the forest roads.

http://www.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/cgibin/snowup-graph.pl?state=CO

Both roads, 141 and 133, are superb, I rode them again las fall on my way to Torrey. I was warned that the road between Blue Mesa Dam/Gunnison and Hotchkiss, rt. 92, on top of the Black Canyon of Gunnison, is spectacular but really deer infested. It was true. I saw literally hundreds of them, some just standing on the road in groups.

When I rode through in early July (the week before Top of the Rockies Rally in Paonia) I travelled fifty miles and saw three cars - but literally HUNDREDS of deer. I was riding through at absolutely the worst time, though, right at sundown/dusk.

I sure hope the snow is gone off the major improved passes, I'm itching to get the GS out for a long ride!!!!

Doug

Yeeha! Stephen

Under cover of quiet engines and skilled riding, 179 members of the BMWRT On-Line, On-Road Community held its first annual national Un-Rally in Gunnison - Gunnison Times

Gunnison Police Chief Jim Keehne said he was receiving a much better reception than I got yesterday with another group of riders.

People have met friends, lovers. - Cary Little

I'm glad we could keep Wurty under control. - Kathy R

A gathering that was so much fun that even Sally, who hates just standing around talking about motorcycles, had a great time. If you weren't there, you'd better make sure you get there next time. - David "E.B." Smith

The Un-Rally was a Hoon's hoot .- Jonathan Malthaup

Last of all I learned that I really like all you guys and gals and would do this again in a heartbeat!!! - Dakota Dave

I don't think I've ever laughed so hard as that night at Pizza. - Russell Bynum

I learned that the people on this board are a mighty fine group of people...good-hearted, funny, giddy, and just downright delightful! - 90% Angel

I made new friends that will last a lifetime. - Sierra Rider

The 2nd Un-Rally is only 12 months away, and the Hell's Angels are waiting to find out where we'll be. Hope to see all of you next year. - Philly Flash

Wow, these people are really NICE - G Floyd's Wife

still not over Gunnison. What a great group of people.. had a great time & can't find words to describe it. A heartfelt thanks to those who made it happen. - Steve Knapp

The best was the greeting I got when I came in late Monday. Five or six burly guys run up and tell me how worried they were. - Rojen

Oh gosh...you want me to blow up the computer with my list of stuff I LOVED ? Geeze Louise... - Kathy R

Being with biker buddies who understand - Faster Pill

Getting more hugs in three nights and two days than I usually do in a month... Hearing so many people talk about next time - Laney

Knowing that whatever happens I've added a treasure trove full of memories. Where you gonna go tomorrow? - MurayG

all of the wonderful people meet, and the great scenery and memories that I will always cherish. - Shelly

Socializing with all the participants. Far too many to list all. What a great family! - Sage Rider

What will I find? Friends, food, rides. We all feel the love... - Daryll

Is that Sock Monkey draped around RD's neck? - Chris NYC

We broke bread. We broke barriers. We hugged. And we carved up roads that relatively few will ever ride. - Fernando

I picked a great time/ride to break my Touring Virginity. - Airtire

I just wish I could of been there to share the Love... - Drake

Now I'm really bummed because I missed it, like I wasn't bummed enough already. - Ex-Hogwild

I now know what I've been missing when this group has gotten together. - MurrayG

Several people wanted a copy of the girls of Gunnison - Daryll

still having fun, can't turn it off - Big Mak

Sun, breeze, road, soul. Imbibe, Friend. - Dick Frantz

Our ride last Friday just whetted my appitite for further riding in north Arkansas. - Chris K

Let's do some ... We can be there for lunch from Dallas. - Brian Mc

next year I'll be there for sure, even if Jim has to push me. - Bpeterson

The event was a wonderful experience. I am sorry for those that could not make it.

A lot of love and friendship. - Old Rider

Hope you guys can make it next year. See you at our next version... - Marty Hill

We were kicking butt, too, riding at a good clip and loving the cornering - David B

My ride got a lot more boring after we separated. Like I have said before. Can not wait until next year. - Dakota Dave

I need to do this again! - kcl

It's time to MOTO.

Bring your Ceegars

Bring your spouse

Just get yur a** out of your house. - Wurty

In the eternal words of Elwood: It's a 106 miles. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses. Hit it. - Brian T

Bike is checked out - stuff is packed...I want to leave now!

Seeya there! - Paul Milhalka

OO! OO! OO! I can't take it! - Dances with Roads

Heads out around 10:00 AM. You will be able to see us comin' from the cloud of ceegar smoke followin us. - Christopher

My name is Joe Friday. In this city... I ride an RT. - Mitchell

If you haven't left yet, you're not tingling already - John R

Ohhhh yeeah, boyee! - Faster Pill

Miss Vicki is packin' her side of the bike right now. My side was packed 2 days ago. - Yeeha! Stephen

Lookin forward to meeting those who will be there & sorry to miss those who won't. - CJM Kerns

Life is Great.......Participate!!! - Gleno

BeerBeerBeerBeerBeerBeerBeerBeer - Greg Anderson

I really owe Cary Littell... if it wasn't for him, I would still be on a stinkin Harley and it would probably chuck another headgasket. - Wurty

PhillyFlash
been on all the paved ones in colorado.

there are 2 roads which can not be missed!!!!!!!!!

-141 from whitewater to naturita over the dallas divide to ridgeway (either direction) > this is the full monty for colorado > more so than 550/red mountain, which most people will buzz about.

http://gorp.away.com/gorp/activity/byway/co/iti_una.htm

been writen this the one of the best sporttouring roads in the world. best in CO! stop in gateway for gas/food.

-133 from paonia to carbondale over mc clure pass (this is THE direction to ride it! S to N) to incorporate a loop, head west of gunnison and take the road over the blue mesa dam towards crawford/paonia > stop at overlooks > watch for sand in corners!!! after carbondale head east to aspen over independence pass > south to poncha springs . west to gunnison

Do not take CO 141. It is a terrible road. There are no curves. There is no spectacular scenery. There are far too many cars on this road. You will not ride for 60 miles in isolation. Avoid this road. It is worthless.

(Shhh. Will you guys please stop telling everyone to go to 141. Before we know it the world will discover this road and we'll no longer have it all to ourselves. Let's keep it quiet and try to keep this the best road in Colorado.)

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs

Ahhh, the Black Canyon. Once we went to the Black Canyon ranger station, there were warnings of poison ivy and poison oak growing on the most popular trails leading down the canyon. And not just a little bit either, but veritable forests of the weed. eek.gif

1142890606.jpg

On the way to Yankee Boy Basin you will go under this rock.

1142890882.jpg

And sometimes, in the afternoon, it rains.

1142891110.jpg

Where is Yankee Boy Basin?

See the map provided by Chris above. Great dual purpose bike ride or easy 4WD road. The early parts could be done in a Caravan.

Connects to Imogene Pass Road which doesn't usually open till late June.

The Un is a little early for a lot of the trails to be open.

Howard is correct. Colorado roads are TERRIBLE. Just look at what happened TODAY. frown.gif

IMG_1976-1.JPG

Honest, there are NO good roads in Colorado. None...Nadda...zippo. Don't waste your fuel and tires teeth.gif Pass the word

Regards,

Mike O

P.S. This is gonna be FUN thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

Howard is correct. Colorado roads are TERRIBLE. Just look at what happened TODAY. frown.gif

IMG_1976-1.JPG

Honest, there are NO good roads in Colorado. None...Nadda...zippo. Don't waste your fuel and tires teeth.gif Pass the word

Regards,

Mike O

P.S. This is gonna be FUN thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

Having grown up in Arvada, I can only state that a March snow means spring is just about 2 days away. grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

...Having grown up in Arvada, I can only state that a March snow means spring is just about 2 days away. grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Ahh, Grasshopper. Spring arrives today, March 20th. No more waiting (except for the snow to melt!)

Regards,

Mike O

P.S. Interesting read 3/20 vs. 3/21...here.

can someone please post the dates and locations of the un-rally?

UnRally V will take us back to magnificent Gunnison, Colorado this year, home of UnRally I. The dates are Tuesday, June 20th, Wednesday, June 21st and Thursday, June 22nd, 2006.

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs

See the map provided by Chris above. Great dual purpose bike ride or easy 4WD road. The early parts could be done in a Caravan.

Is it passable on the RT up to Hanging Rock?

Is it passable on the RT up to Hanging Rock?

Yes

you people are going to go all the way to gunnison, then stay in motels in july??? why??? there is a wonderland of places to camp just up or down the road, i know the area very well having lived in the valley for half my life. gunnison is a flat, dirty place but close to the best camping anywhere. buy supplies there and move on. j

PhillyFlash

Most of the folks who attend the unrallies are not campers, and prefer to stay in motels/hotels. We do have some people who do camp, and will be staying at the KOA on the west side of town. But the unrally isn't about moteling or camping; it's about riding and getting together with new and old friends, so we all try to stay fairly close to each other. The only time campers stay around the campground is in the evening before going to bed. On the other hand, some people will arrive early or stay late, and any suggestions for other camping sites would probably be very welcomed.

Paul Mihalka

Darn, time goes a bit slow. Still 12 weeks to get on the bike for Gunnison - patience, patience. To survive, at least 5 weeks from now I'll be at El Paseo...

C'mon, folks! Aren't you getting excited yet???

We had a GORGEOUS day here Saturday, temps up in the mid-60's for the first time in about five months, so I got all the kids out and washed the Winter garage dust off in preparation for the looming riding season (got a box of maintenance goodies from Bob's delivered by Brown Santa, too!). Look what I found:

61800541-M.jpg

61800539-M.jpg

A very nice 2" roofing nail and a very flat MEZ Tourance tongue.giffrown.gif. Musta happened on my last little jaunt a few weeks ago during a break in the weather. We live in a relatively new subdivision with lots of construction going on all around us and contractors are always dribbling crap onto the roads. I scan for and collect nails every time I ride home on my bicycle, but must have missed this one.

I got some plug/patches from NAPA and was able to fix it without even totally dismounting the tire from the wheel. I've got a brand new set of skins in a box waiting to be installed just before heading for GUNNISON and the UnRally but I'd like to get the last few miles out of this set first. These plug/patches are great and easy to work with!

Once the repair was done I just had to fire 'em all up and ride around, what fun after a long Winter! The end is in sight! Sunday the weather was back to cold and windy, gusting to 45 mph all day.

That's my latest excited chatter, what say you?!?!?

C'mon, folks! Aren't you getting excited yet???...

Doug,

I'd say you need some scotch tape and/or bubblegum to fix that tire.

Regards,

Mike O

C'mon, folks! Aren't you getting excited yet???...

Doug,

I'd say you need some scotch tape and/or bubblegum to fix that tire.

Regards,

Mike O

Thanks, MikeO and Yeeha! Steven, I was getting worried that we'd sufferred some serious Winter Mortality Rates on BMWST.com! Looks like at least you two are getting excited!

Those plug/patches are great, it took about 15 minutes total to have the tire repaired and back in service, didn't even have to pull it all the way off the wheel.

MikeO - I've PM'd you re: the Spring Tour possibility we discussed last Fall! Bring your Colorado buddies up for a pre-Gunnison tour of Beautiful Wyoming! Hopefully we wouldn't have to contend with this (yes, the date stamp is correct!):

35778606-M.jpg

I'm planning one more ski trip this Spring (most areas close April 16th), then I'm READY for this:

59342815-M.jpg

33892888-M.jpg

Yeeeeeeeeeeehaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

49769207-M.jpg

I'm in. Just booked a room at the HI Express. Bit of a long haul for me, but I'm looking forward to my first ride to Colorado.

The natives are restless... Hear the drumbeat...

661543-00000060a.jpg

Do you use double sided tape to keep those speakers from blowing off? grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone:

I would like some input to my problem. My problem is that I would like to do the gunnison Unrally and also do torrey, But I can only do one of the two.

So my question is wich one would be more exciting for a newbie? I live near l.a. thanks confused.gif

Archived