IGNORED

UnRally V -- The Return to Gunnison: Excited chatter thread!

Tasker

PhillyFlash
Hi everyone:

I would like some input to my problem. My problem is that I would like to do the gunnison Unrally and also do torrey, But I can only do one of the two.

So my question is wich one would be more exciting for a newbie? I live near l.a. thanks confused.gif

Torrey happens every May and every September. The UnRally happens once a year, alternating between east and west. I'd suggest going to the UnRally this June, and going to Torrey whenever you can make it in the future. Both are a great time, though.

Oh shish there's that monkey again... as i recall the monkey turned out to be a bad date for Ed in Cody, are they gonna let im lose in gunnison too

girls better run and hide your menfolk, the monkey was also seen to doing way to much spirits... clap.gif

Paul_Burkett

60 days till the UN, can I wait? Of course I can, with nerves of steel and the patience of Moses. No, wait, it's only 59 and 1/2 days. COME ON JUNE. clap.gif

60 days till the UN, can I wait? Of course I can, with nerves of steel and the patience of Moses. No, wait, it's only 59 and 1/2 days. COME ON JUNE. clap.gif

I know what you mean. I pick up my new RT tomorrow afternoon. I then have to break it in, get a few kms on her and get ready for my trek to Gunnison.

Your RT could look like this, then that would take some of the heat out of your system tongue.gif. Nothing big, just doing annual maintenance and pre-trip checks, like new fuel filter (what a PITA!), alt. belt, valves, throttle body sync, fluids, etc. I'd rather discover an issue in my garage, with my lovely helper close at hand, than have something happen when I'm out riding! Thanks Jamie and Leslie for your illustrated guides for tank removal and brake bleeding!!!!

66047254-M.jpg

66047263-M.jpg

66047299-M.jpg

She's good help, but still has trouble distinguishing between SAE and Metric wrenches.

Here's what the bikes are supposed to look like!

66090034-M.jpg

Speaking of that spunky monkey, can't you just spank it? Wait, that sounds bad, can't be spankin' yer monkey at the UnRally!

Sheeeeesh, I need to go for a good long ride SOON!

Doug

PhillyFlash
Based on past history, Mitch's bike should look like that sometime DURING the UnRally!!

UnRally 2 - Eureka Springs. Helped Mitch take off rear Ohlin to lengthen it.

Douglas,

That give a whole new meaning to 'naked'. thumbsup.gif

I just need tires at this point. Otherwise I'm ready to go.

Regards,

Mike O

Live 50 miles east of St. Louis. Anyone from this area going to Gunnison? Would be willing to share expenses to trailer.

Douglas,

That give a whole new meaning to 'naked'. thumbsup.gif

I just need tires at this point. Otherwise I'm ready to go.

Regards,

Mike O

Yeah, she looks better with her clothes on, just like me!

The GS is going to get this treatment soon too, after I get back from a ride on the RT to Grand Forks, ND to visit my son at school. I plan to ride the GS to Gunnison, should be some decent dirt roads to play on around there! I was playing the hooligan on the GS the other day, pulled a wheelie and popped a fork seal on the landing. Nothing rough, just five+ years old, so I get to learn about that little service job tongue.gif. Doesn't look too tricky or even very expensive, like $50 total for two new seals, dust boots and fork oil.

66234134-M.jpg

66234136-M.jpg

66234131-M.jpg

I know a lot of people knock BMWs for being "maintenance intensive", but out of the 40+ bikes I've owned in my life I've never had any that I put the kind of mileage on as I have the BMWs. Most of my UJMs were worn out by the time these BMWs are fully broken in. My K75 has 56,000 miles on it and looks as good as the day it was built and purrs like a kitten. Last month's BMWMOA had an article about a guy who's put 550,000 miles on his 1993 K75; can't feel bad about that!

Anyway, I'm foaming at the mouth to get out and put some real miles on! We've had snow here the past two days, getting kinda tired of it.....

...We've had snow here the past two days, getting kinda tired of it.....
As did we. 1/2 in or so metro, but a bit more in the hills. That's spring time in the Rockies. 80deg one day, 25 the next. Folks keep asking what the mountains will be like in April and May. Sun, Mon and today are classic examples. We have a saying in Colorado:

"If you don't like the weather, wait an hour." clap.gif

Regards,

Mike O

"If you don't like the weather, wait an hour."

Yup, same here. Saturday was 75*F and sunny blue sky, no wind at all. Sunday 60* and windy, overcast. Monday, 4" new snow and 35*. Today sunny and 65*F gorgeous. I'm riding to Grand Forks NoDak in about 10 days, I'll take everything including mesh gear, GoreTex rain gear, heated gloves, swimsuit, Carhartt coveralls, etc. and probably use it all!

Mid-June in the Colorado high country will be cool at night, but stunningly gorgeous days. Maybe a thunderstorm, maybe cool days, but overall I suspect it will be near perfect riding weather. That's my plan, anyway!

Actually, you guys on the front range got it a lot worse than we did. I'm over in Basalt and all we had were cloudy skies and cold winds. I chose to drive because of the forecast but it ends up I could have rode the bike to work.

I mostly read on this forum but if anyone needs contact info in case they run into a problem in the area, let me know. I'm fortunate to live right on one of the best rides in the state (the Aspen - Carbondale - Paonia - Gunnison - Salida loop) We usually make a Sunday ride over to Hotchkis for some great pecan rolls at a little diner next to City Market. Depending on the fire season, I hope to stop over to visit.

Steve

Limecreek

I've been doing my best to avoid reading about Gunnison. It's been six months and I am still unemployed, however I pulled the trigger on a national search 4 weeks ago and have had 3 promising hits and two interviews so far.

Attending the rally may not be in the cards for me. It will be a huge disapointment for me to miss what will be a great time, and a special reunion for everyone that attended the first Un.

Please send me your positive vibes! Get job = attend rally! I can actually afford to go, but it just wouldn't feel right or be responsible for me to take a trip without restoring my positive cash flow first.

Wish me luck on my 2nd round of interviews in AZ. thumbsup.gif

Good luck, Greg.

I was out of work for three years before I decided to call myself "retired" - it sounds better than "permanently unemployed". smile.gif

I found it ironic that when I was working, I could afford to go on these trips but didn't have the time. Then, when I was out of work, I had the time but couldn't afford to go. confused.gif

I hope something good turns up for you soon. thumbsup.gif

Bob Palin
I found it ironic that when I was working, I could afford to go on these trips but didn't have the time. Then, when I was out of work, I had the time but couldn't afford to go.
Being almost in the same position I wonder how you have resolved this problem?
Please send me your positive vibes! Get job = attend rally! I can actually afford to go, but it just wouldn't feel right or be responsible for me to take a trip without restoring my positive cash flow first.

Wish me luck on my 2nd round of interviews in AZ.

Maybe what you NEED is a trip to the UnRally to settle your nerves and restore your soul! I find motorcycling to be intensely therapeutic... Then you can hit the interviews with a gleam in your eye and fire in your belly! wink.gif

Anyway it's a great excuse to take a ride and visit some old (and new) pals! Hope you can make it!

Good luck with your interviews! thumbsup.gif Where in Arizona?

Doug

Bob Palin
I can actually afford to go, but it just wouldn't feel right or be responsible for me to take a trip without restoring my positive cash flow first.
You absolutely have to go under those circumstances, look at all the posts about it being possible to earn more money but never being able to get more time, you should be making a full 10+ day trip out of it while you can! (I haven't had positive cash flow for almost a year now but using the time has been great)
PhillyFlash

Come to the unrally anyway. Just tell them you're an unemplyed Mennonite and you'll get free food, and maybe even a free room. I hear the position is still open this year.

P.S. Be sure to bring the family. The sight of those little ones will bring a tear to everyone's eyes, and more money in the pot.

Limecreek
You absolutely have to go under those circumstances, look at all the posts about it being possible to earn more money but never being able to get more time, you should be making a full 10+ day trip out of it while you can! (I haven't had positive cash flow for almost a year now but using the time has been great)

Good point. You've got me thinking...still, it would be nice to nail down my next gig prior to UN.

Limecreek
Just tell them you're an unemplyed Mennonite and you'll get free food

I'd settle for some good cigars. thumbsup.gif

Calvin  (no socks)

Gregory... I'll bring some cigars from Florida... I believe I already owe you one... dopeslap.gif

Limecreek
Gregory... I'll bring some cigars from Florida... I believe I already owe you one...

Calvin are you camping? I can make this a fairly inexpensive trip with an SS up and an SS back...I can hear Jamie saying, yeah, so what's stopping you....I can tent camp, and stick to the cheap scotch and cigars to cut cost and I should be able to swing it. It's more of a mental issue than anything else.

So, what are you bringing? Cubans?! clap.gif

Calvin  (no socks)

Yes a friend and I are at the KOA for three or four days... I am shipping gear out because I intend to ride the K1200s out there....Travel ultra light... UPS is the way to go!

I wish I had some cuban smokes....

C'mon Join the Pit crew...

Gregory... I'll bring some cigars from Florida... I believe I already owe you one...

So . . .

. . . what's stopping you?? grin.gif

BTW, I've been saving a hand-rolled Panamanian for you that my step-son brought back from Panama for me a few months ago! cool.gif

C'mon, you know you want to see all your friends from all across the country again! grin.gif

I can tent camp, and stick to the cheap scotch and cigars to cut cost and I should be able to swing it. It's more of a mental issue than anything else.

I've discovered a way to cut my food costs way back, this is my "Breakfast of Champions":

66557361-M.jpg

Total cost about $0.167. The crackers have grains and dairy in them, java is loaded with antioxidants and Peeps are chicken, right? Breakfast and lunch on the cheep like this (I have other recipes if you're interested) and two massive meat-loaded dinners and you're set for a week! Plus a new set of duds to wear to your next interview, all for $49!! C'mon down! Deal or no deal?

Seriously, humans are as a rule highly suceptible to peer pressure so quit stalling and make your plans. Last time I started a new job I put in about a year before I had earned enough seniority and vacation time to take a four-day weekend. When will you have such an opportunity again? Don't make me post the lyrics to Pink Floyd's song again, it gets Killer Bob all spun up....

thumbsup.gifgrin.gif

I'm getting excited now, the RT is all put back together and purrs like a kitten! I'm leaving tomorrow AM for a nine day trip on her to see my son at college! wave.gif

Limecreek

66557361-M.jpg

LOL...looks like the kind of meal I ate as a starving college student.

Ok, I'm definitely thinking about it. I'd like to get my 100K foot ride in too. Let see what develops on the job front over the next 2 weeks.

BTW, I love Lander. Sandi and I came up for the 4th of July seven years ago and had a hoot. I really liked the parade floats with nothing more than a bunch of folks standiing on them drinking beer at 10 in the morning. thumbsup.gif

I just travelled thru torrey and gunnison and it seems a significant number of riders are out there already. I must have seen at least 40 differnet bmws in the two days I spent crossing from zion to boulder. You might want to leave early as the crowd is gathering. thumbsup.gif

BTW, I love Lander. Sandi and I came up for the 4th of July seven years ago and had a hoot. I really liked the parade floats with nothing more than a bunch of folks standiing on them drinking beer at 10 in the morning.

Yeah, that's the annual "Multi-Year Class Reunion" Float, they actually started drinking about three days earlier and are just still going..... Landerites like their beer.

I was only kidding about that recipe, that crap would kill me in a hertbeat.

Hope to see you there! I'm writing this from my son's apartmment in Grand Forks, NoDak where I rode the RT out for a visit. It's cold and wet and breezy but we're having fun. I rode the Big Horn Mountains and Black Hills on the way out, almost ZERO traffic at this time of year. I'll post some photos and ride report when I get home.

Cheers!

Doug

aTennesseebmw22
I rode the Big Horn Mountains and Black Hills
Doug, let me know when you come back through Gillette! wave.gif

Hey I spent the night in Gillette on the way to the Cody Un, it was a really neat city, I was surprized to see people on 4 wheelers/ atvs riding on the city roads . Is that legal ??? Big Horn Mtns and Black Hills are pretty neat too.

David.

I rode the Big Horn Mountains and Black Hills
Doug, let me know when you come back through Gillette! wave.gif

Hey Richard, I'm home now but I was thinking about you as I blazed through your backyard. I wore out my rear tire on a mini-Iron Butt ride from Grand Forks, NoDak to Belle Fourche, SoDak (~620 miles), had steel belts showing when I got up Saturday AM and pre-flighted the bike tongue.gif. I called your pals at Sturgis BMW and they had a Z6 in stock, dropped everything and got me right in, great service! Needless to say, that little adventure blew my schedule and plan all to hell and I didn't have a chance to stop and look you up. I'd love to ride the Hills sometime with you, that is some seriously fine riding country. On the way to NoDak I did Spearfish Canyon at about twice the posted speed limit, what a hoot! ZERO traffic.

So have you settled into your new work schedule? Are you going to make it to the UnRally? Itinerary?

I just got home today from a 2500 mile ride across the country and I'm already foaming at the mouth to leave on another ride.....

My name is Doug and I'm a bike-a-holic.

Ride tale and photos soon!

I was surprized to see people on 4 wheelers/ atvs riding on the city roads . Is that legal ???
Not uncommon in many rural Utah towns, there are often signs at the town limits explaining the rules for ATVs.
So have you settled into your new work schedule? Are you going to make it to the UnRally? Itinerary?

Yes, looks like I still get the time off for the UnRally! clap.gifclap.gifgrin.gif Good to see you made it home and all. I have just finished with the basement bathroom, just in time for graduation! clap.gifthumbsup.gifgrin.gif I did it all my self. grin.gif
Paul Mihalka

I'm on the list and check is in the mail. One more month and I'll be riding off into the sunset. Gunnison is West from Maryland, right? thumbsup.gif

If you could only attend one day/evening of the Un and visiting with people was higher priority than riding, which would you pick?

Paul Mihalka
If you could only attend one day/evening of the Un and visiting with people was higher priority than riding, which would you pick?
Patience/Adam, I'm happy to see your post and that you are still around. Are you still riding the F650CS? No more silver tread wear indicators? grin.gif

Hey Adam! We still remember that crazy cross-country, middle of winter, KC stop over of yours!

I guess I would say Wednesday. That way you could ride the day and attend the dinner. There is also a dinner Thursday night too, but some people may be splitting by then.

Heya Paul and Ken smile.gif

Paul: Yup. Still riding the 650 and I figure I may just have to wear the tires down that far again. There's a good chance I'll be riding to Alaska this summer, and if that's the case, I may need the extra traction the cords provide.

Ken: Wednesday it is. I'll see if I can get off work for it. Will you and Donna be there?

Yaahooooo, the powers that govern has opened the window of June 17th-June 25th. I am excided to be able to join the crew in Gunnison. Oh YEAH

I'm on the list and check is in the mail. One more month and I'll be riding off into the sunset. Gunnison is West from Maryland, right? thumbsup.gif

I guess I'll be heading East into the sunrise from Reno Friday morning headed for the Red Rock Rendezvous in Panguitch that weekend and then to Gunnison! I did a shake down run to the 49er Rally this weekend and have to fine tune a couple of things, but I'm ready! cool.gif

It'll be good to see you again Paul.

[edit] and you too Mr. Tank! I need more lessons on how to talk LEO's out of tickets! thumbsup.gif [/edit]

Yaahooooo, the powers that govern has opened the window of June 17th-June 25th. I am excided to be able to join the crew in Gunnison. Oh YEAH!

Tank

Paul

I guess I'll be heading East into the sunrise from Reno Friday morning headed for the Red Rock Rendezvous in Panguitch that weekend and then to Gunnison!

Timmer

Okay, like I wasn't excited enough ALREADY!!!!!!! WOOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!! clap.gif

Archived