IGNORED

Craigslist find of the day

TEWKS

I wish I were young enough to ride that!

This is a dangerous thread. . . I'm perhaps wise OLD enough to resit the 900ss . . but she has sisters and cousins posted here all too often that grab attention and spark desires from deep within.. .

I wish I were young enough to ride that!

This is a dangerous thread. . . I'm perhaps wise OLD enough to resit the 900ss . . but she has sisters and cousins posted here all too often that grab attention and spark desires from deep within.. .

And her sisters and cousins can make the bravest of men jump off off tall buildings and write bad checks....

Wow, I had a ST2 and a ST3, skipping the ST4. I have promised to have just one bike or I would be pricing plane tickets to VA.

Edited by bwpsg42

Sure it.

Did you catch the reason for selling?

"I'm considering letting go, as I've hit my mid fifties and it's time to admit that it's not as easy as it used to be, to ride a sportbike."

Ummmmmm Jake, can you confirm that statement? ;)

Sportbike? That ain't no steenkin' sportbike! It's got bags, and a plush seat, and high handlebars 'n stuff. It carries two. Pure cushiness.

Actually, it's an unprecedented buyer's market for these kinds of bikes for that very reason. There are so many standard/upright alternatives with big torque/horsepower that the owners are moving onto the next big thing. The other reason is that few are willing to service these ST bikes in the manner that they deserve despite all of the resources out there to help you to do so.

For the money, I don't see how these ST bikes can be beat. They have a great combination of lightness, range, power, just the right wind protection, and can carry stuff. So what if us old guys not named Tom have to get back into the gym to be able to ride them all day. It's worth it. :Cool:

Sure it.

Did you catch the reason for selling?

"I'm considering letting go, as I've hit my mid fifties and it's time to admit that it's not as easy as it used to be, to ride a sportbike."

Ummmmmm Jake, can you confirm that statement? ;)

I don't know about Jake, but I had a 2001 ST4, and I got rid of it because my body couldn't take the riding position, even with bar risers. Well, that, and I knew I was going to kill myself if I kept riding it the way it begged to be ridden.

Similar thoughts about my ST3. Of all the Ducs I owned, the one I miss the most was my 92 907ie. Of course as you point out Bill, my bod was 24 years less abused.

Edited by bwpsg42

I had one a few years just like it and preferred the non gloss grey because it mutes the angular styling which I personally wasn't a fan of. Besides that tho a very underrated bike, fast, good handling, good brakes, and extremely reliable. Italian flair w/Japanese low maintenance and reliability.

Everything he said in the first paragraph is true, plus it may have the most comfortable stock seat ever put on a motorcycle. Probably sounds great with those mufflers too. Haven't checked values lately but I sold mine 6 or 7 years ago for not much more with a quarter the miles so he may be real negotiable. Go ride it there aren't many around, might be surprised.

Anybody familiar with a Aprilla Futura? The R1200 RS is right up my aley, but this looks like the same thing, only cheaper.

00909_6RxDdPOrOAN_600x450.jpg

That one has been listed for a while, which surprises me as it appears to be in pretty good shape. Prior to buying my RT, I watched ads for those bikes and the prices usually ran around $4000. I've not ridden one, but they were very highly regarded bikes by the motorcycle press when new.

Dennis Andress

Thanks all. Priorities being what they are I won't be buying another bike for a few years. No complaints, priorities have their place ...

truck-XL.jpg

Thanks all. Priorities being what they are I won't be buying another bike for a few years. No complaints, priorities have their place ...

truck-XL.jpg

That's a beautiful rig...congrats.

Just thinking how nice that grey Aprilia Futura would look next to the new rig...just sayin'!

Dennis Andress

I've a soft spot for a lightweight bike with low bars. It's something I may never get over.

We got the truck into the garage, along with Laney's Beatle and four motorcycles. Sure wish the K1300s would sell.

truck-XL.jpg

WOOT! :thumbsup:

Find of the day?

NOT

Come on Bud, it's got a kickstand extension and stuff. It's a bargain!

Darn, how did I miss that????????? :dopeslap::rofl:

It will sell. Just take the "1" off the front of the price. The 1150s have a taken a beating in the last couple years since the wetheads came out.

Find of the day?

NOT

Come on Bud, it's got a kickstand extension and stuff. It's a bargain!

Darn, how did I miss that????????? :dopeslap::rofl:

It will sell. Just take the "1" off the front of the price. The 1150s have a taken a beating in the last couple years since the wetheads came out.

You would think so, but in This thread lots of folks wouldn't agree with your view. :grin:

Seems some riders don't want a new bike, no matter what improvements have been made. :wave:

Edited by Bud

You would think so, but in This thread lots of folks wouldn't agree with your view. :grin:

Seems some riders don't want a new bike, no matter what improvements have been made. :wave:

They don't have to agree with me, but I just sold one?

As much as I like that year ADV, It's still a big knot NOT for even $4500 less.

http://secondwindbmw.com/Motorcycles-BMW-R-1150-GS-Adventure-2004-Merrimack-NH-ce7bfb8b-768a-4a9f-8207-a6aa010394b5

I'm betting Bill is feeling A-ok with these prices. ;)

Pat

There are a couple things going on here, one is the owner's are fishing, betting there's someone out there that'll bite. And they could be right because there's always been a small market for original super low mileage examples. The other is, it's the end of an era, clean low mileage '04 RT's and GS's have (mostly) stopped depreciating and will slowly start rising in value like most airheads already are (the dude selling his 04 RT with 10k miles for $4500. is the same one will be saying "wish I still had it" 5 or 6 years from now.)

And another thing, once the fancy computerized new stuff is out of warranty and dealers are getting $120/hr to plug your bike in just to see what's wrong, that slightly used simple old 1150 Adventure will look sweeter by the hour. :grin:

It may take awhile but those are just two of the first salvo's. It's a pattern or formula that will play out over time. If you don't believe me google values for some of these last of an era German machines:

62 300SL Roadster, 58 Speedster, 65 356SC, 69 R69S, 71 280SE Coupe or Cab, 71 28OSL, 73 911S, 74 2002tii, 74 3.0CS, 79 Turbo, 93 Carrera RS, 97 Carrera S. There are plenty more...

There are a couple things going on here, one is the owner's are fishing, betting there's someone out there that'll bite. And they could be right because there's always been a small market for original super low mileage examples. The other is, it's the end of an era, clean low mileage '04 RT's and GS's have (mostly) stopped depreciating and will slowly start rising in value like most airheads already are (the dude selling his 04 RT with 10k miles for $4500. is the same one will be saying "wish I still had it" 5 or 6 years from now.)

And another thing, once the fancy computerized new stuff is out of warranty and dealers are getting $120/hr to plug your bike in just to see what's wrong, that slightly used simple old 1150 Adventure will look sweeter by the hour. :grin:

It may take awhile but those are just two of the first salvo's. It's a pattern or formula that will play out over time. If you don't believe me google values for some of these last of an era German machines:

62 300SL Roadster, 58 Speedster, 65 356SC, 69 R69S, 71 280SE Coupe or Cab, 71 28OSL, 73 911S, 74 2002tii, 74 3.0CS, 79 Turbo, 93 Carrera RS, 97 Carrera S. There are plenty more...

I'm not sure I'd call 22K or 26K super low mileage, but I agree in part. I do think they've mostly bottomed out on depreciation. But how long do you want to wait? 5 or 6 years? I bet you're waiting a bit longer than that. And comparing a 300SL with 1150GS might be a slight stretch. :jaw:

But how long do you want to wait? 5 or 6 years? I bet you're waiting a bit longer than that. And comparing a 300SL with 1150GS might be a slight stretch. :jaw:

Time is the one factor you can't predict, it may be 3 years or might be 10. If it was that easy anyone could do it : )

How about a 95 R100GS/PD, a little closer to home? You view 300SL's and Speedsters as icons now and why I used them as extreme examples. They weren't icons in their day and even when 10 or 15 years old were considered just average sportscars ($2995. Speedsters when new were a no frills cheapo model to generate interest).

Here's an example from a dumbass.. In 1974 I bought a nice 63 MB 220S for $2500. six months later traded it even for a 67 XKE 4.2 conv (beautiful but drove like a truck), six months later traded that for a 73 Eldorado conv. Point being they were all worth $2500. at the time. How was I supposed to know the E type would go for 50 times that now. :eek:

Edit, the one Pat linked is the 1150Adv w/rare fact luggage, someone will likely pay about $9k and be happy they got it.

Edited by roadscholar
As much as I like that year ADV, It's still a big knot NOT for even $4500 less.

http://secondwindbmw.com/Motorcycles-BMW-R-1150-GS-Adventure-2004-Merrimack-NH-ce7bfb8b-768a-4a9f-8207-a6aa010394b5

I'm betting Bill is feeling A-ok with these prices. ;)

Pat

Missed that one. Link?