IGNORED

IT'S TIME FOR "UN" NUMBER 11

EffBee

All of which are valid points. But let's not derail this into that type of discussion. Have you all taken the poll and provided the next Un Organizers with your input so that they can make a decision that takes into account your perspectives? If not, please do so.

Like many, my total investment for the trip makes whatever I have to pay for a place to sleep a small part of the total outlay. I will trust that the organizers will find a good deal at whatever level of luxury we indulge in. Of course it will be a challenge to out do our hosts at Little Switzerland.

The upside is that this is a year away...

ANYONE can save up that much of a difference if they choose to.

Having the money is not the only issue with overpriced hotel rooms.

+1

+2 That is why we camp when we come to Torry.

The upside is that this is a year away...

ANYONE can save up that much of a difference if they choose to.

Having the money is not the only issue with overpriced hotel rooms.

If it comes down to a few dollars more or less a night making the difference in whether or not one attends an event, perhaps traveling across country to a motorcycle event is not the wisest use of resources.

A few dollars, fine. More then a few if camping is half of a hundred dollar room. (Usually a third). Four nights, saving at least two hundred, thats a lot of gallons of gas to come cross country. Thats our use of resources and how we can afford to come to these events.

And yes EffBee I did vote and I won't derail anymore, I promise.

No harm, no foul. Your fiscal math and related position are reasonable and understood. We're going to try the best we can. I just wanted to keep things on track. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Point of fact: the room rates for UN X were almost double what they were for UN9 and it didn't seem to affect attendance. Like Mark said, for those long distance travelers an extra $20-30 a night is an insignificant expense compared to the overall cost of travel, food, and bike maintenance (tires?), especially if you are bring a spouse (the shopping factor!) ;)

Point of fact: the room rates for UN X were almost double what they were for UN9 and it didn't seem to affect attendance. Like Mark said, for those long distance travelers an extra $20-30 a night is an insignificant expense compared to the overall cost of travel, food, and bike maintenance (tires?), especially if you are bring a spouse (the shopping factor!) ;)

It was Barbie's trip to Tops shoe store in Asheville that did the most damage to the plastic. Lodging is a fixed cost I can plan for; a woman and her shoes have no such logic.

I made a promise..............

I made a promise..............

Promises are made to be broken,,,Just say-n,, :grin: Im with you,,I don't need rose peddles in my bath water and a $16 chocolate on my pillow,,A ten day trip,$30 bucks a day,,$300 in my pocket,,,
Has a date been decided upon yet?

At my work I have to make vacation plans early.

+1. Some of us need to put in for vacation and start planning soon.

Has a date been decided upon yet?

At my work I have to make vacation plans early.

+1. Some of us need to put in for vacation and start planning soon.

+1 Richard had to put in for his vacation a couple of weeks ago. This I know for sure, the week of August 19 through August 26, Richard and I will be taking a motorcycle trip somewhere.... and it WILL be FUN!

We are approaching decision time. We finally have someone who has stepped forward and feels that what he's gained from this board merits an effort to return something to the community. I have spent some time on the phone and am proud to work with him. We also had help from another member who was riding through Colorado and did a LOT of reconnaissance and contact work, laying an excellent foundation for this event. Additionally, we will gratefully welcome anyone else with a who wants to step forward and say, "This Is My BMW Family and I Want To Help." This community could use your generous and helpful spirit. We could use help with pre-registration, registration at the event, T-shirt design, name tags and more.

The Un will be in Colorado. The exact location and dates will be announced as soon as we have successfully negotiated which hotel will be our HQ and will offer discounted rooms for our members. There will be nearby alternative hotel/motels for those who wish more upscale or more budget-conscious accommodations. Camping will be as close as can be arranged.

Are there accommodations with a gourmet restaurant on site and spa services available ;)!

Seriously, thanks to all for your hard work on this...... :thumbsup:

I already told the wife months ago I was planning a west coast UN run if it managed to be in the Colorado vicinity. WoooooHooooo!

Denver is 1700 miles. Hmm, two easy days or Iron Butt it and make it there by lunch time?

Anyway........VERY much looking forward to this.

I already told the wife months ago I was planning a west coast UN run if it managed to be in the Colorado vicinity. WoooooHooooo!

Denver is 1700 miles. Hmm, two easy days or Iron Butt it and make it there by lunch time?

Keith,

Since you and I would be starting in approximately the same place, I can tell you I was thinking the same thing. A Bunburner (1500 miles in 36 hours) would put me close to a college buddy's abode in Colorado Springs. Start at 6AM on day one, and get to the 1500 mile point by 6PM (Eastern) the next day, I am thinking it's doable.

Visit with my buddy for the evening, and then go to the UN site the next day.

At least that's one scenario.

Keith,

Since you and I would be starting in approximately the same place, I can tell you I was thinking the same thing. A Bunburner (1500 miles in 36 hours) would put me close to a college buddy's abode in Colorado Springs. Start at 6AM on day one, and get to the 1500 mile point by 6PM (Eastern) the next day, I am thinking it's doable.

Visit with my buddy for the evening, and then go to the UN site the next day.

At least that's one scenario.

A very possible scenario at that. I'll be in touch once more details surface.

I'm jealous Paul. I can probably swing a week off of work. That gives me about 9 days to be away. I'd love to take my time, but for obvious reasons......I want to spend as much time out there as possible. I've been through Kansas once on the bike, and twice in a car. I don't think I'll miss it this year if I just blast through :)

From York PA or Baltimore MD to central Colorado in three days (Saturday/Sunday/Monday) is easy and can be fun. I've done it a few times. Forget I70. To St. Louis I68/I79/I64. From there all two-lanes through Missouri and Kansas. PM me if you want details.

Coming back in four days (Thursday-Sunday) You have some time to play.

Gee, no sooner do we announce the state that the Un will be in, and ask for volunteers, and look at all the people who stepped forward to help.

Thank you. Thank you all!!!

:grin:

Gee, no sooner do we announce the state that the Un will be in, and ask for volunteers, and look at all the people who stepped forward to help.

:grin:

I have repeatedly said I will do registration as for the last few UNs, however, I am in "work all the hours you can" mode until Christmas so wouldn't be able to start on it until the first week of January.

Easy big fella. Your willingness to help, to contribute to this community, is well known throughout this board (and several others). I don't know of anyone who's given more, shared more, or helped more people than you have. After all, if not for your generosity and garage, I'd be stuck in Torrey with a broken throttle cable and a split fuel distributor, and be sleeping on your living room couch (I'm smiling at the thought of the horror on your face right now). :rofl: I still haven't been able to thank you enough for the space and the tools.

Bob, I was pulling a few legs. We have had a wonderful group of people volunteer. And while we can always use a few more in case work or other things get in the way of those planning to volunteer their time, if you want to handle the registration I'll put you in touch with our Un organizer and you can work it out with him. The contact info I send him will come with the highest recommendation.

It's been a very tense time trying to find someone to step forward and assume a lead role. For a while we wondered whether there would be an Un next year at all. But thank goodness we have him, and he's going to need a bit of help. Nothing that won't take more than a few hours of your time, somewhere between now and next summer. I've been part of the organizing team for one Un and an advisor for another two. It's always a rewarding and enriching experience.

Must drink more coffee before posting! (Whip is always telling me this, and as soon as I've had coffee I remember it)

Too late! Nomination made, ballots printed, sent out, sent back, tallied, and VOILA, you're IN!

Long hail King Killer, registration guru.

Jester.jpg

And while we can always use a few more in case work or other things get in the way of those planning to volunteer their time, if you want to handle the registration I'll put you in touch with our Un organizer and you can work it out with him. The contact info I send him will come with the highest recommendation.

WHO is the UN organizer for 2012?

And while we can always use a few more in case work or other things get in the way of those planning to volunteer their time, if you want to handle the registration I'll put you in touch with our Un organizer and you can work it out with him. The contact info I send him will come with the highest recommendation.

Trying to find out who the head organizer is so you can bribe him with big money to make sure the un dates fall between Aug 19 through the 26th,,I see how you are,, :rofl:

Trying to find out who the head organizer is so you can bribe him with big money to make sure the un dates fall between Aug 19 through the 26th,,I see how you are,, :rofl:

No :D.... I thought I read they were looking for people to help with different things and it helps to know who is in charge. But now sounds like they do not need any help, that it's under control. :grin:

No, the World Health Organization is NOT in charge of the UN.

See Fernando, I answered for ya. :)

I thought I read they were looking for people to help with different things and it helps to know who is in charge. But now sounds like they do not need any help, that it's under control. :grin:

Jacqueline, thank you so much for your generous offer. At the moment, the organizing is in its early stages. We know we're going to need some volunteers, and we already have some. But we don't know if we're going to need more. If we do, I hope we can call on you and see what your schedule is like at that time. We know people have lives, families, vacations, etc. and may not always be available, even if in their hearts they want to help. It's always a good thing to have a list of others who also want to help.

Archived