IGNORED

IT'S TIME FOR "UN" NUMBER 11

EffBee

Some more food for thought (or a grenade): with the steady decline in the number of campers, maybe we try one UN with no onsite camping? It makes finding a spot a lot easier. Most good riding locations will have campgrounds close by anyway.

Some more food for thought (or a grenade): with the steady decline in the number of campers, maybe we try one UN with no onsite camping? It makes finding a spot a lot easier. Most good riding locations will have campgrounds close by anyway.

I like this idea. In the little looking around I've done thus far, yes there are good hotels..yes there are good campgrounds. Not too many of them next door to each other.

Well said...

#726508 - 09/12/11 08:49 PM Re: 2012 Unrally sites! BMWMOA Rally is in Sedalia, MO [Re: tallman]

RevRay

Loc: Nowhere Originally Posted By: tallman

I'm goin' to Disneyworld.

Maybe not such a bad idea but don't you mean Disneyland. My two cents about UNrallies are "not so UN." I've been to the the past five UN's. It seems to me as if the bar is raised with each passing UN. A great burden borne by UNorganizers across these great United States. I thank you all for your hard work and some of the best memories of my adult life. Comradery of board members and good roads are key, formal dinners, tee shirt momentos are nice but just secondary, in my opinion to the UN experience. That said, if no one comes forth to UN organize UN11 would it be wrong to just agree on a date and book directly with Disneyland or where ever west of the Mississippi. Almost like a flash mob, an UnUN? What say you?

RevRay

CO2W

Waste No Curve

Don't give up yet RevRay! I can't do it all myself but I'm researching a pretty cool looking area to submit "officially" once I get all the required info. And i'm sure there are others that will be submitting ideas too. So, the UN will live in all its UNness!

I haven't been there to count and compare previous year's campers with that year's, but I don't think the Un is going to be a hotel-only event. At least not until the numbers bear it out. And let's not forget that one of the things about this community is its inclusiveness.

For the time being, we're going to stick with Hotel and camping at the same site, or at an adjacent site so close that having a common gathering area is easy for both groups.

Based on that, we do have some good location suggestions that bear some further research.

I haven't been there to count and compare previous year's campers with that year's, but I don't think the Un is going to be a hotel-only event. At least not until the numbers bear it out. And let's not forget that one of the things about this community is its inclusiveness.

For the time being, we're going to stick with Hotel and camping at the same site, or at an adjacent site so close that having a common gathering area is easy for both groups.

Based on that, we do have some good location suggestions that bear some further research.

Is there an "acceptable distance" between the campground and hotel?

Comradery of board members and good roads are key, formal dinners, tee shirt momentos are nice but just secondary, in my opinion to the UN experience. That said, if no one comes forth to UN organize UN11 would it be wrong to just agree on a date and book directly with Disneyland or where ever west of the Mississippi. Almost like a flash mob, an UnUN? What say you?

RevRay

CO2W

Waste No Curve

I say you're right on.

IMHO it has to be within easy walking distance and without a busy 4 lane road between the places. W Virginia didn't pass that last test. Of course Gunnison doesn't really either because most don't want to stay in the cheaper hotels near the KOA. It's a tough one for sure.

Comradery of board members and good roads are key, formal dinners, tee shirt momentos are nice but just secondary, in my opinion to the UN experience. That said, if no one comes forth to UN organize UN11 would it be wrong to just agree on a date and book directly with Disneyland or where ever west of the Mississippi. Almost like a flash mob, an UnUN? What say you?

RevRay

CO2W

Waste No Curve

I say you're right on.

+1

Maybe not such a bad idea but don't you mean Disneyland. My two cents about UNrallies are "not so UN." I've been to the the past five UN's. It seems to me as if the bar is raised with each passing UN. A great burden borne by UNorganizers across these great United States. I thank you all for your hard work and some of the best memories of my adult life. Comradery of board members and good roads are key, formal dinners, tee shirt momentos are nice but just secondary, in my opinion to the UN experience. That said, if no one comes forth to UN organize UN11 would it be wrong to just agree on a date and book directly with Disneyland or where ever west of the Mississippi. Almost like a flash mob, an UnUN? What say you?

There are significant pricing advantages to coordinating *this crowd is coming* to the hotel.

I can't imagine an UN without one group meal, as it assures coordination of a gathering of nearly all souls at *one table*.

But not having such wouldn't prevent me from attending. I'd just have less $ in my pocket and one less treasured memory. But I'm not complaining :P much :grin:

IMHO it has to be within easy walking distance and without a busy 4 lane road between the places. W Virginia didn't pass that last test. Of course Gunnison doesn't really either because most don't want to stay in the cheaper hotels near the KOA. It's a tough one for sure.

I think Bob has nailed it. The distance is this: Would most hotelers be willing to walk the same distance to the campground for a group meeting/get-together, that we'd ask the campers to walk in order to hold same at the hotel? IOW, an easy-access, relatively unrestricted, short walk of no more than 2-3 min. Now, being slightly OCD, if the average person walks 3mph, and 3min is 1/20th of an hour, then 3mph x 3min = 15840 ft/hr x 1/20th (.05) = about 800 feet. (man, if I screwed up the math this is gonna be embarrassing)

Sounds like an Un Hijack, to me. In which case, you've shown exceptional organization skills in coming up with the idea. This makes you a prime volunteer to organize the 2012 Un. Congratulations. ;):thumbsup:

RevRay

CO2W

Waste No Curve

Remember in all of this that the idea of the UN is to get us all together. That shared meal and other reasons and a place to interact as the larger group has been the high point of any UN I've been to--and this year's was my first miss.

It's tough to drop in on some town with a group of 150. In the areas we prefer to ride, it's usually a smallish town. Hotels, campsites, caterers or restaurants need and appreciate a little notice. Group rates help us all.

As for the extras, that has been completely at the discretion of each organizer. According to the feedback from the people who have taken this on, they've gotten a lot of satisfaction for their effort.

Mark Menard (Vita Rara)
As for the extras, that has been completely at the discretion of each organizer. According to the feedback from the people who have taken this on, they've gotten a lot of satisfaction for their effort.

Speaking from experience, don't sweat the extras. A place to gather, tell lies, socialize, etc. are equally if not more important than any other thing for an Un. At Un VI we took over a large "luxury" cabin as the gathering place and it worked amazingly well.

I'll also second Leslie's statement on satisfaction. Doing Un VI was an amazing experience. I still remember it fondly. (I was actually just reading through the archive about it.) The rewards have been long long lived.

So, keep it simple: good riding, good socializing space, keep everyone as close together as possible (hotel and camp site).

If I had the time I'd unOrganize another Un. Life really doesn't permit right now though. (And you folks are going out west anyway.)

Mark

I think the search for "camping and lodging" may be limiting our options. We don't necessarily need actual "campsites." You potential organizers shouldn't overlook a great location because there are no "campsites." If there's a nice lawn on the premises it's worth asking about the use of it for "a few" tent campers (without campfires), and that we'd expect a reasonable charge for use of the grounds. You might have to commit to renting a room so the campers have a place to flush and splash. All they can do is say no.

Mark, thanks for contributing your experiences to the discussion. As you point out, the extras aren't what this is about. The Un, to butcher a word or two, is UnFormal, UnComplicated, UnStressful, and officially UnEventful. The events, gatherings, rides, meals, laughter, exaggerations, friendships, and more that take place are mostly based on the sheer fact that we're all there and we have two common bonds: our bikes and this board.

As Leslie says, it's about getting together. If you're looking for a place where you arrive and get "plugged into" an agenda or itinerary designed to keep you entertained, that's for professional rallies. This is strictly amateur.

I remember being on Gleno's driveway at the second ever Tech Daze one morning, looking at 21 RT's parked along the long wall separating his house from his neighbor's. We'd just spent the first of two days going over various technical and servicing facets of our RT's. People had slept where they could, and some had gotten pretty darned creative. But it was morning. All around us hot coffee was being sipped past mumbling, semi-coherent lips. "Morning." "Morng." "Mrng." "Hrmphg." Everyone was in their post-dawn finest. Shorts. Sandals or bare feet. T-shirts. Some undershirts. And at least one pair of boxers. Tom Roe says to me, "Can you feel the love?" It was from that statement that the first Un was launched. And it's from that simplicity, camaraderie, common experiences, sharing and love for a motorcycle and riding it, that other Uns should follow.

Dave, your perspective on having an official "campground" vs. having a camping area, are right on. We have members who need nothing more than a soft layer of grass upon which to unfold a small tent and unroll a sleeping bag. If there's a campground within walking distance, with showers and stalls, great. If not, then all we ask is for some cooperation from the hotel. You'd be surprised what they'll do if you fill a 80-100 rooms for them. Especially mid-week.

Might I make a general suggestion? Not about UNs and hosting one ... but rather one about the need for this entire discussion and the fact that it will eventually become somewhat lost after a while (without detailed search by those who would already know to look for it), or will be repeated some other year where no one steps forward (for whatever reason).

Obviously, the UN is important to this community. So, how about a sticky post to describe the ideas presented in this thread. This thread has described the fact that minimum requirements exist, also that there are preferred minimums (e.g., hotel, camping, AND cabins altogether in one location), and lastly that some folk apparently worried that an UN-organizer will get too organized.

A sticky thread/post would give all potential UN-organizers a ready place to get started and know what the target is. Because wow! There is indeed a target and it apparently lies somewhere between too little and too much! So, let's get it just right!

Reading this thread has reminded me of a couple favorite quotes...

1. A camel is a horse designed by committee - Mark Twain

If you are inclined to showcase an area of the country that you love to ride in and think the rest of us would benefit from, then step up and do it. The UN is a giant cookout centered around motorcycles and the people who ride them. Find a couple of friends who feel the same about it and throw the kind of cookout YOU want to throw. People will come. Lots of them will come.

2. The surest way to fail is try and please everyone - Bill Cosby

You cannot, and will not be able to please everyone. Aim for the highest impact target you can get. I think the praise for UN-X was pretty well received but had we used FB's math for camping proximity it would not have been nearly as nice an event. Some people here will complain simply because they enjoy it. If money is an issue, they can save up, it's a year away...

Thanks, Matt. You, Mr. Twain and Mr. Cosby are all correct. But letting this thread run open as I have is deliberate. We ARE getting some good ideas. Eventually we'll make our site selection, whether it's based on a suggestion or a formal proposal by a member or team of members who want to give back to this community. Then we'll either have our Un Leaders for 2011, or we'll ask for volunteers. When not formally a proposal, it's always been a volunteer effort.

This thread will close at the end of the month. We'll move on to selection and organization at that time.

You'd be surprised what they'll do if you fill a 80-100 rooms for them. Especially mid-week.

:thumbsup: That's why just looking at a website won't get the job done until somebody goes there and does a face-to-face with mamagement. Most places are skitish about filling a motel with 100 "bikers." Having somebody to do the "in-person" walk about is the secret to a successful event. A little salesmanship doesn't hurt either!

"I remember being on Gleno's driveway at the second ever Tech Daze one morning, looking at 21 RT's parked along the long wall separating his house from his neighbor's. We'd just spent the first of two days going over various technical and servicing facets of our RT's. People had slept where they could, and some had gotten pretty darned creative. But it was morning. All around us hot coffee was being sipped past mumbling, semi-coherent lips. "Morning." "Morng." "Mrng." "Hrmphg." Everyone was in their post-dawn finest. Shorts. Sandals or bare feet. T-shirts. Some undershirts. And at least one pair of boxers. Tom Roe says to me, "Can you feel the love?" It was from that statement that the first Un was launched. And it's from that simplicity, camaraderie, common experiences, sharing and love for a motorcycle and riding it, that other Uns should follow."

It always about the love my Brother

You guys make me proud

"I remember being on Gleno's driveway at the second ever Tech Daze one morning, looking at 21 RT's parked along the long wall separating his house from his neighbor's. We'd just spent the first of two days going over various technical and servicing facets of our RT's. People had slept where they could, and some had gotten pretty darned creative. But it was morning. All around us hot coffee was being sipped past mumbling, semi-coherent lips. "Morning." "Morng." "Mrng." "Hrmphg." Everyone was in their post-dawn finest. Shorts. Sandals or bare feet. T-shirts. Some undershirts. And at least one pair of boxers. Tom Roe says to me, "Can you feel the love?" It was from that statement that the first Un was launched. And it's from that simplicity, camaraderie, common experiences, sharing and love for a motorcycle and riding it, that other Uns should follow."

It always about the love my Brother

You guys make me proud

For those of you who do not know a legend when he posts, the above is from Tom Roe himself, to whom this website, the Un, and numerous individuals are forever indebted for his vision. Hiya, Tommy. Miss you, man. If we hold it in Colorado, you gonna try and make it down from Wisconsin?

I think the search for "camping and lodging" may be limiting our options. ...

Well I found 15 campsites, general store, multi-star restaurant, bar, and cabins to rent of various sizes all on the same grounds. All within minutes of Yosemite National Park. The place has 88 cabins, that range in size, maximum capacity is 325 guests,

though our maximum capacity to cater any one large group would be 175. They have internet but it needs to be speed'd up some. Hiking and horse back and white water trips are close by. Photo ops abound.

So now is there a dollar amount limit because accommodations like this don't come cheap. And one year isn't enough reservation time either.

I like this idea. In the little looking around I've done thus far, yes there are good hotels..yes there are good campgrounds. Not too many of them next door to each other.

This would really make us think twice about coming to the UN, in fact we probably would not attend. We have been to eight out of the ten so you understand we enjoy the event and the people immensely. It's not that we love to camp, (we don't mind it), but even with the group rates it is just beyond or our price range. Campgrounds close by would have to be next door, not miles away, and we are better then fine with camping on the lawn. Topaz Lake IMO nailed it. That setup was perfect for both types and we all had a nice lawn to sit and socialize.

Dave, your perspective on having an official "campground" vs. having a camping area, are right on. We have members who need nothing more than a soft layer of grass upon which to unfold a small tent and unroll a sleeping bag. If there's a campground within walking distance, with showers and stalls, great. If not, then all we ask is for some cooperation from the hotel. You'd be surprised what they'll do if you fill a 80-100 rooms for them. Especially mid-week.

We are those kind of members, all we need is a lawn and a shower.

We thought we had a lawn space at the last UN months in advance until we were called by the hotel two days before we were to leave. Told us since they had cancellations camping was not being allowed. That would have been a last minute and disappointing show stopper for us. We would have cancelled had the hotel not worked with us.

I think the search for "camping and lodging" may be limiting our options. ...

Well I found 15 campsites, general store, multi-star restaurant, bar, and cabins to rent of various sizes all on the same grounds. All within minutes of Yosemite National Park. The place has 88 cabins, that range in size, maximum capacity is 325 guests,

though our maximum capacity to cater any one large group would be 175. They have internet but it needs to be speed'd up some. Hiking and horse back and white water trips are close by. Photo ops abound.

So now is there a dollar amount limit because accommodations like this don't come cheap. And one year isn't enough reservation time either.

First, thank you for doing the research. That's the spirit we're looking for.

I would guess that the acceptable range would be in the area of $70-$75/night, with two beds per room/cabin, which would allow people to double up with friends and save. However, if a full year isn't enough reservation time, then I have to ask. . .is this a moot point? You're going to have to enlighten us a bit more, please.

I was already told that many of the cabins were reserved for next summer July and August. So for 2014 it might work. Also the cabins will be more than 75 bucks. It's a vacation spot not a Motel 6. No offense to Motel 6ers. I'll stay there too when traveling. You can look at the Evergreen Lodge Link. In the mean time I'll fa'getta about it.

Thanks for the kind words Nando.

As far as showing up for the Un, well lets just say I've done crazier things.

I'm thinking of riding with old friends on something fast and Italian, that would make my naughty parts tingle.

Hugs and Kisses my Brother (I miss you too.)

We are those kind of members, all we need is a lawn and a shower.

We thought we had a lawn space at the last UN months in advance until we were called by the hotel two days before we were to leave. Told us since they had cancellations camping was not being allowed. That would have been a last minute and disappointing show stopper for us. We would have cancelled had the hotel not worked with us.

So Ken, was it the deal that Gary told me he was going to offer you?

It was a more then fair offer from him, we were pleasenty suprised. Kate was all grins since we got to enjoy ruffing it in a room for once.
Well then, that would seem to imply that hotel owners are willing to work with campers rather than the opposite, which is what you seemed to imply previous post. Or have I missed something?

Quite a few people have expressed their ideas about what an UN should be (or should not be). Others have expressed concern that "the bar" is being raised with each passing UN, and there has even been some rather overt complaining. Going back to Matt's excellent analogy of the neighborhood cookout:

* Cookout #1 - Host offers guests hamburgers and hot dogs on paper plates. Result: The overwhelming majority of guests have a great time and thank their hosts sincerely for offering their time to the group. A few are disappointed and grumble afterwards.

* Cookout #2 - Host offers guests BBQ, baked beans, & slaw and serves on plastic plates. Result: The overwhelming majority of guests have a great time and thank their hosts sincerely for offering their time to the group. A few are disappointed and grumble afterwards.

* Cookout #3 - Host suggests a pot luck & byob because they simply don't have the time or resources of the previous cookouts, but would love to get everyone together again. Result: The overwhelming majority of guests have a great time and thank their host sincerely for offering their time to the group. A few are disappointed and grumble afterwards.

Positives to draw from the experiences:

* The majority of people are always pleased and appreciative of their hosts.

* Generally, hosts want to personalize their cookout, to offer their guests something different from previous cookouts, or perhaps offer the classic cook out, or to offer only whatever they have time/energy for just to keep people getting together.

* In all cases, it's sharing time together over food outdoors that's important in the cookouts ... not the details of the every dish.

Negatives to draw from these experiences:

* To complain loudly throughout the neighborhood about the use of paper plates in Cookout #1 is simply rude.

* To suggest that a person who offers ribs, or perhaps even steak, is trying to out do everyone does that host a disservice (and is of course presumptuous).

* To worry you won't be able to exceed the previous cookout only suggests you're missing the point because pretty much whatever you offer the majority of attendees will enjoy themselves.

* To suggest that the pot luck is the only that truly captured the essence of the cookout also does a disservice to those hosts who offer ribs or whatever.

Hey, I didn't intend to lecture nor kvetch. I offer as a lame excuse for any such tone that I'm up in the middle of the night with backpain (a pulled muscle) waiting for pain meds to kick in. I also didn't mean to imply that I'm perfect, that I never complain, nor that I don't worry about what other people think. [Anyone who knows me - especially the hosts of UN X who I asisted (and impeded) and my cohosts for RCR in WV will definitely get a laugh out of this ... laughing at me.]

This was more an open letter for this forum/thread (not at FB or the mods). My point here is to suggest we're all better served by:

* Not placing too many rules on the conduct of the UN and enjoy whatever a hosts offer their guests

* Not continually communicating our personal expectations of what other hosts should do or arrange at an UN to satisfy us specifically. If you want an UN to satisfy your particular desires and needs, host one or volunteer to assist someone else.

That said, it's good to see the brainstorming up about possibilities for UN XI. I hope I'm able to make, but frankly I doubt I'll be able to take the time to ride out west and back (limitation of work ... alas!).

Quite a few people have expressed their ideas about what an UN should be (or should not be). Others have expressed concern that "the bar" is being raised with each passing UN, and there has even been some rather overt complaining. Going back to Matt's excellent analogy of the neighborhood cookout:

* Cookout #1 - Host offers guests hamburgers and hot dogs on paper plates. Result: The overwhelming majority of guests have a great time and thank their hosts sincerely for offering their time to the group. A few are disappointed and grumble afterwards.

* Cookout #2 - Host offers guests BBQ, baked beans, & slaw and serves on plastic plates. Result: The overwhelming majority of guests have a great time and thank their hosts sincerely for offering their time to the group. A few are disappointed and grumble afterwards.

* Cookout #3 - Host suggests a pot luck & byob because they simply don't have the time or resources of the previous cookouts, but would love to get everyone together again. Result: The overwhelming majority of guests have a great time and thank their host sincerely for offering their time to the group. A few are disappointed and grumble afterwards.

Positives to draw from the experiences:

* The majority of people are always pleased and appreciative of their hosts.

* Generally, hosts want to personalize their cookout, to offer their guests something different from previous cookouts, or perhaps offer the classic cook out, or to offer only whatever they have time/energy for just to keep people getting together.

* In all cases, it's sharing time together over food outdoors that's important in the cookouts ... not the details of the every dish.

Negatives to draw from these experiences:

* To complain loudly throughout the neighborhood about the use of paper plates in Cookout #1 is simply rude.

* To suggest that a person who offers ribs, or perhaps even steak, is trying to out do everyone does that host a disservice (and is of course presumptuous).

* To worry you won't be able to exceed the previous cookout only suggests you're missing the point because pretty much whatever you offer the majority of attendees will enjoy themselves.

* To suggest that the pot luck is the only that truly captured the essence of the cookout also does a disservice to those hosts who offer ribs or whatever.

Hey, I didn't intend to lecture nor kvetch. I offer as a lame excuse for any such tone that I'm up in the middle of the night with backpain (a pulled muscle) waiting for pain meds to kick in. I also didn't mean to imply that I'm perfect, that I never complain, nor that I don't worry about what other people think. [Anyone who knows me - especially the hosts of UN X who I asisted (and impeded) and my cohosts for RCR in WV will definitely get a laugh out of this ... laughing at me.]

This was more an open letter for this forum/thread (not at FB or the mods). My point here is to suggest we're all better served by:

* Not placing too many rules on the conduct of the UN and enjoy whatever a hosts offer their guests

* Not continually communicating our personal expectations of what other hosts should do or arrange at an UN to satisfy us specifically. If you want an UN to satisfy your particular desires and needs, host one or volunteer to assist someone else.

That said, it's good to see the brainstorming up about possibilities for UN XI. I hope I'm able to make, but frankly I doubt I'll be able to take the time to ride out west and back (limitation of work ... alas!).

Sounds like Craig is volunteering to host! :rofl:

I also didn't mean to imply that I'm perfect, that I never complain, nor that I don't worry about what other people think. [Anyone who knows me - especially the hosts of UN X who I asisted (and impeded) and my cohosts for RCR in WV will definitely get a laugh out of this ... laughing at me.]

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

And its all good intentions

It was a more then fair offer from him, we were pleasenty suprised. Kate was all grins since we got to enjoy ruffing it in a room for once.
Well then, that would seem to imply that hotel owners are willing to work with campers rather than the opposite, which is what you seemed to imply previous post. Or have I missed something?

You missed something.

Again, people have some good perspectives to contribute. But let's make it simple.

1. We're not trying to create the Un format. We've got one. It works. And yes, there will always be someone who is only 99.5% satisfied.

2. If the final meal had been pizza at every single Un, it still would have been good, because the idea is to be together, unified, and offer thanks and appreciation as we close the event. The first Un had a magnificent catered BBQ as the final meal. And all any of us remember is helping that Mennonite family. That's over 10 years ago, and I still smile about it.

3. The Un is not a contest. EACH one has been the best one, because it brought us together that year. Some had more challenging roads, some had more open terrain. But we rode. We gathered. We met and shook hands. We laughed. We lied a little. We broke bread. And we left with new friends and memories.

4. The next Un will follow those parameters. And it will be equally as fondly remembered.

Again, at the core of the Un is to keep it simple, set a location for us to ride to where the roads and scenery are good, provide proximity for hotelers and campers, and try and have a final meal together. Oh, yeah, and call Whip so you can get some T-shirts made.

Sounds like something even Congress could organize without screwing it up.

Yeah, I know. Don't count on it. Fortunately we're not. We're counting on each other. And that's what makes it special. Us. The members of BMWSportTouring.com

Nah, you'll be fine. Teri will have the new job and won't be able to take the time... You and I can meet in Nashville and ride wherever from there and Teri can fly to meet you. Simple! ;-)

Nah, you'll be fine. Teri will have the new job and won't be able to take the time... You and I can meet in Nashville and ride wherever from there and Teri can fly to meet you. Simple! ;-)

Sounds like good logic to me!

I am new to the forum but I have spent several summers in New Mexico. Based out of Ruidoso and Cloudcroft. Cloudcroft can not accommodate the number you are looking at but Ruidoso can at the Inn of the Mountain Gods. There is a great ride through the Mescalero Reservation to Cloudcroft for a day ride. Cloudcroft also is 9000 feet above sea level and never really gets hot.They also have a great solar observatory. And at the Inn of the Mountain Gods you also have the casino.......just my thoughts.

I don't know about the camping option being close to the large Inn of the Mountain Gods, but Ruidoso has a ton of camp grounds as the Lincoln National Forest is in the area. Check out these websites http://cloudcroft.com and http://www.ruidosonow.com/lodging. I don't know of the horse races would be in season then but Ruidoso Downs is a great little race track.......The racetrack has live racing from Memorial Day until Labor Day. http://www.raceruidoso.com

Archived