IGNORED

IT'S TIME FOR "UN" NUMBER 11

EffBee

Gentlemen, I urge you to do research on your suggestions and submit a proposal for specific locations, hotel and the group rate, campground/rate/proximity, and a location for a group meal. Also include who will be on the organizing team. Without that, and with honest and sincere appreciation for your suggestions, they're really not much more than purty websites.

I am in the process of doing the research but I was not aware that coming up with a suggestion entailed preparing an RFP. Since I am new I can't say that I understand your processes but I thought the post was to offer suggestions and that the organizing group, whoever that was, would sort through the details. If I knew a suggestion needed to tick off a number of boxes on a checklist I would have done my homework before offering up an idea. So for the sake of clarity is there a check list? Trying to read through all the posts to discern what the requirements are is a bit of task. I see in your posts that there area few items listed but are those inclusive? Or are there other less obvious requirements. I am fine with working up the detail on my suggestion and have a call out to the Inn of the Mountain Gods staff and will get the details on rates, and available camping on the premises and the other things you mentioned........

I am in the process of doing the research but I was not aware that coming up with a suggestion entailed preparing an RFP. Since I am new I can't say that I understand your processes but I thought the post was to offer suggestions and that the organizing group, whoever that was, would sort through the details. If I knew a suggestion needed to tick off a number of boxes on a checklist I would have done my homework before offering up an idea. So for the sake of clarity is there a check list? Trying to read through all the posts to discern what the requirements are is a bit of task. I see in your posts that there area few items listed but are those inclusive? Or are there other less obvious requirements. I am fine with working up the detail on my suggestion and have a call out to the Inn of the Mountain Gods staff and will get the details on rates, and available camping on the premises and the other things you mentioned........

There's a checklist of sorts in the first post on page one of this thread. As for submitting a full proposal, there isn't an organizing committee. The Administrative Team will select the location from the proposals submitted, based on how well they meet the simple criteria of the Un. As to who actually organizes the event, we would hope that those who propose would follow through, as it's easier than selecting a site and then looking for volunteers to do the work. That doesn't mean you shouldn't submit a location. But it would be better if it also included some information on rates, camping proximity, great roads and scenery in the area, etc. If you can't be the organizer, yet your location has what the Un needs, it may get selected and we'll see who does the actual planning and phone calls.

Appreciate the clarification......I started reading this thread somewhere towards the last page and have since gone back to the beginning. I am interested in helping and will see how much detail I can put together.........Is there a deadline to submitting the details? I think I read something in one of the dozen pages about a cutoff date.....thanks again.

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't participated in an UN since the first one in Gunnison, but I have put together a couple of R1200C rallies since then. My goal on those was to get the location somewhere near the center of the country AND have fun roads & great scenery to boot. The best one for roads & scenery was in 2004 at Lake of the Ozarks, MO. But the most memorable was a little place outside KC at the KOA in Oakgrove, MO in October of 2003. It was close enough to the city that anyone who wished could run into town and get or see what they wanted and close enough to twisty roads that fun riding was less than a half hour away. The best part was the group that showed up. Just a bunch of guys who liked to ride their cruisers by day and sit around the campfire telling stories by night.

All that said, I'm wondering if one "near the center of the country" might be a viable choice; maybe even at that same KOA in Oakgrove. Due to my strange work schedule being on a graveyard shift and sleeping some strange hours, I'm not sure I would be able to help a lot but willing to do what I can.

You can't enter Canada if you've ever been convicted of a felony, a DUI or even a pot bust.

What about Canada? I never made it to Banff. Is going triple digits a felony? Can felons get passports?
You can't enter Canada if you've ever been convicted of a felony, a DUI or even a pot bust.
What about Canada? I never made it to Banff. Is going triple digits a felony? Can felons get passports?

No probs here...it's Mr Rogers Neighborhood, remember?

Oh, this is a planning thread, sorry.

My hats in for Torrey if something doesn't gel soon. Prob could get enough players together to form a small UNcommitee..My help if needed.

MB>

No probs here...it's Mr Rogers Neighborhood, remember?

Oh, this is a planning thread, sorry.

My hats in for Torrey if something doesn't gel soon. Prob could get enough players together to form a small UNcommitee..My help if needed.

MB>

Thank you for offering your services. Actually, no one has submitted a formal proposal. However, we've been looking at Colorado locations, from above Denver down to CoSprings. This is primarily because RoadScholar (Bill Ferran) and his girlfriend have been riding around Colorado, from FL, for the past week or so and have checked out several places. We've gotten locations, contact names, etc. We ALL owe them a debt of gratitude.

Absent any forthcoming proposals, the Admin Team will review the information we've received and will make a few phone calls and come to a decision as to which of the locations for which we have researched information (i.e. Bill's reports), best meets our needs for location, riding, proximity of hotel/camping, affordability, feasibility, etc. Once that's decided, we will be asking for volunteers to take over the negotiating with the site for room rates, selecting the dates, booking the group meal, and working with Whip on the T-Shirts. Usually, when you book a large group, you can negotiate a couple or three comped rooms, so whoever the organizer is/are will likely enjoy a very low-cost Un.

Once the Un Team is selected, they will eventually announce the location, the rates, the amenities, and finally the dates. Then they can start collecting monies to help cover the costs of the T-shirts, the group meal, and other expenses. The rest will pretty much take care of itself. I've helped with two of these events myself, and it's surprisingly easy.

Anyone who is interested in being an Un team member, just let us know. You'll have a lot of experience and a lot of support to draw upon, and the membership will be forever grateful.

As for 2013, we are already open to receiving proposals from eastern locations.

Ruh-roh. A hundred twenty to fifty peeps on Bob's lawn. I've never been there, but somehow I don't think that'd work out so well. :P

There's plenty of room on Thousand Lake Mountain...

(I don't think Torrey would be a good location, we've been here 22 times already!)

wOULD lOVE to go to Banff..however, +100 mph is no-no land and radar detectors are also off limits.

Ya know - sIRrODNEY lives in NW Arkansas.

hmmmmmmmmmmm................

wOULD lOVE to go to Banff..however, +100 mph is no-no land and radar detectors are also off limits.

Would love to go to Banff, too. But have not received a written proposal regarding the area, hotel site, group rates, camping, etc. At least it's in the western half of the continent where the Un needs to be this year. NW Arkansas, not so much.

HOWEVER, that gives you and Sir Rodney a full year to do some scouting and submit a proposal for 2103. Just a guess, but at your Un there might be a little, uh. . . .beer? After hours, of course. :thumbsup::grin:

If the Uncrew wanted to try Banff you need to know that the roads around Banff aren't very conducive to day round trips like we did in NC. If you are ok going out and back on the same roads there are some nice options.

Another option I would suggest is the BC interior - better for riding. Banff is a day trip (300 miles return) and the roads in SE BC are a lot more twisty than in Alberta.

MIke RC and I are the only ones from Calgary I know of on the board. I could check out a couple hotel ideas near Cranbrook, Invermere, Golden, or Creston. All are close to great Kootenay roads. The Going to the Sun in northern Montana, and the Banff Jasper Icefields parkway could be done on the inbound or outbound days.

Any interest in this idea?

Stephen

Calgary

Would love to go to Banff, too. But have not received a written proposal regarding the area, hotel site, group rates, camping, etc. At least it's in the western half of the continent where the Un needs to be this year. NW Arkansas, not so much.

HOWEVER, that gives you and Sir Rodney a full year to do some scouting and submit a proposal for 2103. Just a guess, but at your Un there might be a little, uh. . . .beer? After hours, of course. :thumbsup::grin:

I don't think I well still be riding in 2103 :dopeslap:

I haven't been ignoring the thread at all, but the problems as I see it are:

Trying to hold the UnRally in a Canadian National Park (Banff, Jasper or Waterton) won't have any low cost options and camping will be hard to find (and reserve) close to a hotel large enough to host a group of 200.

Distances are large - there would usually only be one or two day rides under 300 miles out of any of the above destinations (maybe a few more out of Banff). I was just hiking in Waterton last week and although Larry's suggestion of Waterton is possible there are really only two day rides from there.

The far better riding options are the interior of British Columbia but I can't think of anyplace that has both hotel and camping close to one another that can accommodate 200+. A number of options (Nakusp, Kaslo, New Denver) if you are looking at around 50 people but nothing like accommodation options at the five UnRallys that I have attended.

These logistic problems have led to the local BMW events being camping/RV camping based.

Mike Cassidy

This my first post. I just joined aobut 10 mins ago and was reading about a site to "rally". i used to go to these bmw get togethers but have since been riding the desert on my KTM 450.

Yesterday i purchased a 99R1100s...yellow..I gotta ride it. I used to ride wigth a friend but we no longer see eye to eye..hey Sh-- happens.

The point of all rambling is....why doesn't someone contact this resort Monarch.....and see what we can work out. don't say I should please..i jsut have the idea....have fun. The May

This my first post. I just joined aobut 10 mins ago and was reading about a site to "rally". i used to go to these bmw get togethers but have since been riding the desert on my KTM 450.

Yesterday i purchased a 99R1100s...yellow..I gotta ride it. I used to ride wigth a friend but we no longer see eye to eye..hey Sh-- happens.

The point of all rambling is....why doesn't someone contact this resort Monarch.....and see what we can work out. don't say I should please..i jsut have the idea....have fun. The May

They've been contacted. We have the information we need. We're gathering information on other sites as well. There will be a decision in the near future.

I like the idea of the flashmob! State a place, mention to the owner that a few motorcycle riders might be in the area for a couple of days.

Stand back and see what happens. WE ARE!!

AdventurePoser

Yeah, I know....my wife is actually the lucky one...I'm good for about two weeks or so...

Cheers,

Steve

That is a great idea! This teacher is retiring on June 30, I hope. So maybe I could help out for the Summer of 2013...

In the meantime, July please, for those of us who must return to work by early August!

Cheers,

Steve

Hi, Steve...poor babies, having to return to work in early August...while all those regular working stiffs have to work year-round :wave:. Me, personally, I don't work at all. Well, I mow the yard, which is a chore. One of these days I'll attend an UN.

We have the information we need. We're gathering information on other sites as well. There will be a decision in the near future.

Well, not that it is much to anyone: but I guess my streak of 8 straight Un attendances (since I bought a BMW and joined the board) will be broken. I have to bid my vacation and the indecision is gonna most likely keep me from getting the time off I need to attend, even if it is close to home...

I'm sad about this, but this year has not been too great for Un planning.

We're looking at early August. That seems to be when the rates will be best where we're looking. We're supposed to have some specific rates early this week. Hang in there.

You were one of the reasons we went to our first UN in West Virginia! You were the OTHER GT and we so had to see another GT rider was the pitch given to me so David could go! :grin:

You were one of the reasons we went to our first UN in West Virginia! You were the OTHER GT and we so had to see another GT rider was the pitch given to me so David could go! :grin:

Love it! :wave:

We're looking at early August. That seems to be when the rates will be best where we're looking. We're supposed to have some specific rates early this week. Hang in there.

I was hoping for late July so I could go to the UN between the Top of the Rockies Rally and the MOA Rally. For us on the west coast that would be ideal. 16-19 July... and I'm not a teacher.

I was hoping for late July so I could go to the UN between the Top of the Rockies Rally and the MOA Rally. For us on the west coast that would be ideal. 16-19 July... and I'm not a teacher.

We understand that some people have a desire for an earlier date. If one can be negotiated, with good rates, it will be. But the area we're looking at has good summer and winter business. And we will have to slot in between that, or we're looking at $129+ for a room.

We have the information we need. We're gathering information on other sites as well. There will be a decision in the near future.

Well, not that it is much to anyone: but I guess my streak of 8 straight Un attendances (since I bought a BMW and joined the board) will be broken. I have to bid my vacation and the indecision is gonna most likely keep me from getting the time off I need to attend, even if it is close to home...

I'm sad about this, but this year has not been too great for Un planning.

What Richard said with a lessor streak of 5 consecutive UN's. Sure would love to make it 6 consecutive UN's :lurk:

So those of us who can't go will know how much money we've saved.

And try to rationalize that versus the lost opportunity.

:grin:

:(

:lurk:

So what's the point of the Un room rate poll ????

The room rate poll is to help us decide which motel/hotel should be our HQ. We can go a bit upscale, or we can go to a glorified Motel 6. I'd like to get a feel for the budget/inclinations of those who might be attending. Where possible, the closer we can match accommodations to budgets, not only the better the turnout, but the more satisfied attendees will be. Before we select a place, we thought polling the membership on this would be helpful.

Leslie,

That was my first UN, the one that introduced my heart to this crazy bunch. It was the longest ride to date I'd ever made in one day, Seattle to Cody, and upon arrival you had made sure there was food left to eat when I rolled in late. :thumbsup:

The room rate poll is to help us decide which motel/hotel should be our HQ. We can go a bit upscale, or we can go to a glorified Motel 6. . .

To this point (21 Oct), two out of three poll respondents are willing to pay anywhere from $90-$110 for a room. I hope that eventually means we'll go "a bit upscale" (a relative term, for sure).

The room rate poll is to help us decide which motel/hotel should be our HQ. We can go a bit upscale, or we can go to a glorified Motel 6. . .

To this point (21 Oct), two out of three poll respondents are willing to pay anywhere from $90-$110 for a room. I hope that eventually means we'll go "a bit upscale" (a relative term, for sure).

So,,Lets knock out the 1/3 that can't afford it,???

Just for kicks, no argument: There are different ways of reading polls. With current numbers you can read it that 27 are OK with $99-109, and 38 want it cheaper. ;)

So,,Lets knock out the 1/3 that can't afford it,???

If it goes anymore upscale, we are out. For those that want upscale, do it. Just offer budget rates also.

My reading of it was that there really wasn't a significant difference between any of the choices, save for the camping. Also, given that a number of people share rooms (as I've done at some previous UnRallies), the difference becomes even less significant. I look at it this way, if this is held in Colorado as was suggested, I'll be riding a hell of a long way there and back. The cost of the room for several days at the UnRally itself will be the least of my financial worries. I was expressing my personal preference and don't see what's wrong with that. We were asked the question, after all, and I simply pointed out that two-thirds of those who chose to respond were willing to pay between $90 and $110 bucks.

As with any site, there are upscale accommodations, and not-so-upscale ones. The poll, if it ever gets enough responses, will tell us where most people would like to stay, which in this case ranges from a Hampton Inn to a Super 8. We would then provide that information to the volunteers who will be organizing the event, and they will negotiate with the predominant lodging in order to make it our HQ. Those who want to go upscale or downscale from that, are free to do so. The lodging and camping is all on a one-mile stretch of road, so no one will be very far away, regardless of their budget. But we do have to make sure the majority of people are at the HQ site, that reasonable camping can be found or arranged for, that there's a choice of restaurants nearby (preferably within walking distance so beer/wine can be consumed, in moderation of course), and near a facility which will be able to serve as a gathering place for the last day's meal.

So, if you haven't told us what price range is within your budget, if you haven't called a buddy and asked if they want to share, if you haven't sold that useless old jacket in your closet in order to stay someplace where you can't see through the towels, now is the time to do so and to respond to the poll! It's all in YOUR hands. No response, you get what you get. Response, you get what most of you want. We're here to please. But we need your help.

The upside is that this is a year away...

ANYONE can save up that much of a difference if they choose to.

Having the money is not the only issue with overpriced hotel rooms.

+1

If it comes down to a few dollars more or less a night making the difference in whether or not one attends an event, perhaps traveling across country to a motorcycle event is not the wisest use of resources.

Archived