IGNORED

IT'S TIME FOR "UN" NUMBER 11

EffBee

It's amazing to realize that we've had 10 UnRallies. I remember being a part of a great team of members who organized the first one in Gunnison, CO. It was great fun to help put it together, to see so many members come out to enjoy the camaraderie, the beautiful roads and scenery, and to make so many wonderful new friends.

And that's just how these UnRallies happen. YOU put them on. You come up with a location, get together with a friend or two, and over the course of several months, you put it all together.

• A location that's scenic with a climate that's mostly temperate, even in July/August.

• A location where the main hotel, and the camping (for those so inclined), is as close as possible (walking distance).

• A location with a quality main hotel that can accommodate close to 200 of us, with abundant motorcycle-friendly parking, and with at least one common gathering area.

• A location with a hotel where reasonable group rates can be obtained.

• A location where the roads are befitting BMW and other sport-touring motorcycles.

• A location where the travel scenery will create lasting and positive memories for those attending.

• A location where there is some off-road riding as many members here ride GS's and other dual-sport bikes.

As has been the custom, the UnRally shift back and forth, alternating between an Eastern location one year and a Western location the next. For 2012, it's time to take it back West. We've had Western UnRallies in Gunnison CO (2), Cody WY, John Day OR, and So. Lake Tahoe NV. We can revisit those states, or we can go someplace new like CA, MT, WA, ID. If your plan is selected, it will be your call.

Within the next 30 days, the Administrative Team will entertain submissions for where YOU would like to host the next UNRally. If selected, YOU will be in charge of the details, subject only to the standard parameters under which previous UnRallies have functioned. Simple. Easy. Fun.

If you have an idea, put it together and submit it. It IS going to take a little work on your part. But you have the better part of a year, and remember that the concept of the "Un" is that it's NOT a Rally. No formal events. No vendors. No formal rides. Attendees pay a modest fee to cover costs and get a T-shirt, some maps of the area showing the more scenic and enjoyable roads, and we all try and get together for at least one final meal, whether it's at a pizza parlor or a steakhouse or a BBQ. That's it. The rest is up to the attendees to make happen as they meet up with old friends, make new acquaintances, and ride, ride, ride. And if you want some ideas, remember that there are threads covering almost all of the previous UnRally events in our Archives section on the main page of this board.

So please make your submissions to me via PM. I'll forward them to the Admin Team. Try and be as thorough as you can about the location. Include pics or links if you have a site, hotel, resort, etc. that will be the Un's HQ. Provide dates. And we'll review the submissions and come up with the one that best meets the needs of the membership.

Unfortunately although we have great roads in AZ, its too hot that time of year to enjoy them. I'd sure like to see us try "north of the border" by our friends in BC or AL. Western Canada has some great roads and excellent summer weather. How about it guys?

We're open to all suggestions, John. Keep in mind that the site will be chosen based on amenities, depth of planning, quality of proposal, and feasibility.

If someone in Canada, or even a group from here, working with a location in Canada, wishes to put together a proposal for a site in Western Canada, we want to hear from you.

John's right. There are some spectacular places up north.

Here's a spot I found in Salida, CO. Good facilities, cheap rooms, and they'll let us have some tent campers. Close to lots of good riding.

Monarch Mountain Lodge

If somebody wants to run with the ball, I'll forward you an email from the Group Services Manager I've already talked with. email or PM me.

I was actually thinking of that place when this subject came up recently. I've ridden by it quite a few times but never stopped. It's sort of out there by itself halfway between Salida and the top of Monarch Pass, nothing else really nearby. And each time it's appeared to not be very busy, that could be good or bad, don't know, but I'm guessing it's busy season is Winter cause there's a ski slope nearby.

May be in the area over the next couple weeks, I could do some recon if there's any interest. Been doing a lot of DS riding in the vicinity lately and it's fantastic, it's where the TAT and Continental Divide trails intersect. Course there's great on-road riding in every direction too.

Aspen Ridge east of Salida, CD in background.

1070589700_2LcaT-XL.jpg

Heading up Cottonwood Pass out of Buena Vista, East side paved, West side isn't. But noticed several sport-tourers riding up, then back.

1070589305_3KbJq-XL.jpg

1070589453_Ua7bZ-XL.jpg

1070589452_rSJFr-XL.jpg

Cumberland Pass a few miles to the north, late October. The road was in pretty good shape (this isn't the road :) ).

1096371569_tRLDc-XL.jpg

Dave, thanks for the tip on Monarch Mountain Lodge. It looks like it has potential.

Bill, if you're going to be in the area and would like to run recon on this place, please PM me and we can go over the things that would be on the checklist.

As everyone can see, within just a few days of opening this thread, potentially good locations are starting to be made known. If you have a location you think would be good for the Un, and you want to help organize the event, let us know.

I am up for it. This looks like a great place, and I love Colorado. If we can slide it in between the Top of the Rockies and the MOA, I will be a happy camper!

And each time it's appeared to not be very busy, that could be good or bad, don't know,

Been reading the reviews, let's just say they're uh, mixed. :eek:

Will check it out though Fernando, I'll let you know when I.m heading that way, hopefully this month but possibly next. Not easy finding the right facilities/location for 200 discerning motorcyclists, for ten years I was the trip planner, ride leader, travel agent, cat herder for BMWNEF (300 members) and the logistics for just 25-35 was tricky.

My gut feeling though is to keep looking.

AdventurePoser

July pls so we teacher types can attend. Topaz Lake rocked! Beautiful location and in July!!!

The area around sw CO rocks too!

Steve

Let's not forget: You can please some people most of the time, you can please most people some of the time, but you can never please all people all the time...

AdventurePoser

That is a great idea! This teacher is retiring on June 30, I hope. So maybe I could help out for the Summer of 2013...

In the meantime, July please, for those of us who must return to work by early August!

Cheers,

Steve

Salida and the top of Monarch Pass, nothing else really nearby.

+1 - Beautiful . Nothing else nearby a plus.

I would do that too

Salida and the top of Monarch Pass, nothing else really nearby.

+1 - Beautiful . Nothing else nearby a plus.

I would do that too

Well, it's 10 or 12 miles up this road.

1096371877_Newcj-L.jpg

Let's not forget: You can please some people most of the time, you can please most people some of the time, but you can never please all people all the time...

I don't know; I think everyone at the Little Switzerland Rally X had a terrific time. Barbie and I did nto meet a single person with an unkind word.

I think the reference was to when, and not where.

I believe Paul was replying to that relating to the time of the event not locale.

July 16-18 would be ideal: right after the Top of the Rockies, and before the BMW MOA rally in MO.

There's one volunteer....

Takes one to know one.

Truer words never spoken. BTDT.

The 8 events I have assisted in have been quite successful. I have passed my torch on.

Lone_RT_rider
July 16-18 would be ideal: right after the Top of the Rockies, and before the BMW MOA rally in MO.

Takes one to know one.

The 8 events I have assisted in have been quite successful. I have passed my torch on.

There was a Torch? :eek:

Came with the Brats.

Are you calling Matt and Shaun brats? :grin:

No, Glenn, the talk is about the excellent Bratwurst that Matt prepared and grilled. I always timed my arrival to BRR so I don't miss the "brats". I'll have some brats next week cruising down the Danube, but they probably won't be as tasty as Matt's after a ride.

That is a great idea! This teacher is retiring on June 30, I hope. So maybe I could help out for the Summer of 2013...

In the meantime, July please, for those of us who must return to work by early August!

Cheers,

Steve

Hi, Steve...poor babies, having to return to work in early August...while all those regular working stiffs have to work year-round :wave:. Me, personally, I don't work at all. Well, I mow the yard, which is a chore. One of these days I'll attend an UN.

Paul,

I understood that Tim meant bratwurst, I was trying to make a joke, thus the smiley face afterwards. No problem.

I knew you were not serious but didn't want to let the opportunity go of singing the praises of Matt's brats. (Bratwurst!)
Paul,

I understood that Tim meant bratwurst, I was trying to make a joke, thus the smiley face afterwards. No problem.

I knew you were not serious but didn't want to let the opportunity go of singing the praises of Matt's brats. (Bratwurst!)

Unfortunately, the only BRR I got to was last fall, and alas, no bratwurst. :( Lots of good company though! :)

Takes one to know one.

The 8 events I have assisted in have been quite successful. I have passed my torch on. [/quo

There was a Torch? :eek:

yep, on the golf shirt

Paul,

Thank you Paul!!!

Mark,

Taking your comments as humour, I would still like to repond to

some perceptions.

The average working stiff works 50 weeks, 40 hours, or 2000 hours. (talking average not lawyer billing umpteen hours or a self employed restauranteer)

2000 hours and money comes in year round.

My contract is 196 days, 180 instuctional.

Average 3-4 hours prep/day and 2-3 hours correcting work and 5 1/2 of instruction that is 10 1/2 to 12 1/2 hours per day.

That is 1890 plus the non instructional days (another 120 hours) on the low end for a total of 2010.

On the higher end around 2470 hours.

We get a furlough (that's what other folks call not working and not being paid) then "return" to work for weeks without getting paid.

I chose this. I don't consider myself a baby for leaving private sector and choosing to try to make public education better for as many students as I can.

I can't afford to take weeks off during the school year nor do I wish to abandon my students for such a long stretch.

I'm sure somewhere you had a teacher who helped you get to the postion you earned through hard work over the years and I'd hate to think that you might have missed that certain something that did it for you because your babysitter went for a 2 week motorcycle trip.

Again, I'm certain you were just making a funny.

Hope to see you at an UN.

Best wishes.

wow, a buzz kill...

Tallman said

The average working stiff works 50 weeks, 40 hours, or 2000 hours

Where on earth do you get that idea? I spent almost 30 years as a salaried employee at tech firms (no startups) and a 40 hour week was a pipe dream. Vacations were cancelled, weekends didn't exist for long stretches, holiday emergencies, calls in the middle of the night etc. etc. There are plenty of people doing the same thing. I once worked every single day from March to December except Thanksgiving Day, mostly 10-12 hours a day only for the company to shut the facility I worked at (that's when they moved me to San Diego, only to shut that facility two year later)

Thanks Casey--great minds.:wave:

This is a fascinating hijack but a hijack nonetheless.

Jamie and I organized the UN in Cody. Granted, the town is a little pricey but the facilities are all there along with great roads and attractions.

The actual work of putting together wasn't that big a deal. It even gave Jamie an excuse for a pre-run :clap:

We used the talents of others here on the site, made lots of phone calls, found members who lived close to the area to help, etc. That was even before the days of Killer's invaluable registration page help. I did that by hand in a ledger book and that was probably the hardest part.

The fun of providing an event to support the "On Road" part of this community was outstanding!!!!

It looks like there are some good locations. What we need now is for members to step up and pull it together. It simply can't happen without you. If you look back through the reports of UNs past you'll see what a worthwhile event it is.

Thanks Casey--great minds.:wave:

This is a fascinating hijack but a hijack nonetheless.

Jamie and I organized the UN in Cody. Granted, the town is a little pricey but the facilities are all there along with great roads and attractions.

The actual work of putting together wasn't that big a deal. It even gave Jamie an excuse for a pre-run :clap:

We used the talents of others here on the site, made lots of phone calls, found members who lived close to the area to help, etc. That was even before the days of Killer's invaluable registration page help. I did that by hand in a ledger book and that was probably the hardest part.

The fun of providing an event to support the "On Road" part of this community was outstanding!!!!

It looks like there are some good locations. What we need now is for members to step up and pull it together. It simply can't happen without you. If you look back through the reports of UNs past you'll see what a worthwhile event it is.

Thanks, Leslie. I was unable to go to Cody, but it was one of everyone's favorite Uns, based on the comments that were posted.

Your perspective that it doesn't take a ton of work is worth noting. As part of the first Un team in Gunnison, it really wasn't all that difficult. Large groups get booked by phone all the time. Extra amenities are arranged for. Pizza or BBQ catering is a click and a phone call away. Maps are easy to copy from online sources. Probably the trickiest thing is deciding on a T-shirt design. Getting it printed at a good price is just a matter of calling Whip.

I see some names above, some of whom claim to have a lot of time on their hands. I'm hoping they'll take this opportunity to volunteer that time for the sake of this community. Sometimes, you just have to give back.

Anybody know anything about the Steamboat Springs or Fort Collins Colorado area?

From pulling it up on Google Maps looks like a neat area. A number of state and national parks. Beautiful mountain scenery. Routes 14 and 34 thru the mountains look twisty. Like I say..no personal knowledge of the area..but from the map looks pretty cool.

Anybody know anything about the Steamboat Springs or Fort Collins Colorado area?

From pulling it up on Google Maps looks like a neat area. A number of state and national parks. Beautiful mountain scenery. Routes 14 and 34 thru the mountains look twisty. Like I say..no personal knowledge of the area..but from the map looks pretty cool.

James, let me encourage you to do some digging. There's lots of information online. Look for lodges, camping and RV Camping in the areas. Ideally the site should have a hotel/motel with a campground within the same area so that the Un doesn't break up into two separate events. If you find something, submit it and we'll take a look at it.

Thanks.

Ok, I'll see if I can do a little more research. I'll be honest I don't know if I have time to put together a complete event but I am definitely willing to help. I'll do some googling :rofl: and see what i can dig up!

James, let me encourage you to do some digging. There's lots of information online. Look for lodges, camping and RV Camping in the areas. Ideally the site should have a hotel/motel with a campground within the same area so that the Un doesn't break up into two separate events. If you find something, submit it and we'll take a look at it.

Thanks.

hmm. It's starting to look "meant to be." I was checking one of my "Watched Topics" and noticed another member from a town Just outside Fort Collins. So naturally I'm grilling him for information :dopeslap: So, after the interrogation and some googling is over I will post more info!

Archived