IGNORED

Autumn Torrey Thread

eddd

We are down to 30 days so I thought it was time to start a thread.

I'll be on my way in three weeks or less. RT, Yamaha dual sport, and Cannondale will come with me. I plan to arrive no later than Monday the 19th and will be staying at the Sandcreek RV park.

I am so looking forward to the fall colors, cool temperatures, and gathering with friends, old and new.

Cooler temps would be nice :Cool: 114 F yesterday in Phoenix ... about the same today.

I'll be there, just don't know which exact days yet.

lawnchairboy

gonna be Atlanta, New Orleans, San Antonio, ????, then Torrey, probably on the 21st arrival. Looking very forward to the break and seeing the peeps. Never been for a fall one, only Spring ones, want to do huntington canyon this trip, should have plenty of time :) at the chuck

This will be our first time for the unrally, staying at Capital Reef Inn and arriving Friday. Just got home from 2 weeks in Colorado and it was cool. Hoping fall Torrey is cool also. Anyone riding RT's on pavement on Sat? We'll be the ones with the identical R1100RTs

Right now it is looking like Thursday through Monday at best for us. I am on the East Coast through Tuesday then home. If Laura has Jury duty it will be me solo. This is the first Torrey in over 5 years where I won't be there early. I am planning on staying until lunch time Monday before heading back home.

Will be there on Thurs with wife in tow-- will be her first trip in the fall to see the colors-- Looking forward to seeing everyone again---

AZAL

I wanted to do Fall Torrey but a riding buddy cornered me for the Reno Air Races this year, that pretty much cashes in my touring points for the year.

Next year.....

Firefight911

What's the sampling drink of the weekend? We've done scotch, rum, whiskey, wine.....what this time?

Sake?

What's the sampling drink of the weekend? We've done scotch, rum, whiskey, wine.....what this time?

Sake?

What ever you wish.

You didn't get to drink for several months not too long ago, so it is only right.

What shall it be.........

CoarsegoldKid

Juanita and I will be rolling in with Jan and Sharon on Thursday. See everyone at the Chuckwagon. We are looking forward to the fall colors.

This Torrey will be the 10 year anniversary of BMWST.com public Torrey rides. The first public Torrey ride, Torrey 2, was fall of 2001 right after Glenoz tech daze. There was an exploratory trip with a small private group prior to this to see if Torrey was a good place to ride so that's officially Torrey 1.

I went to Torrey 2 so this is my 10 year anniversary of Torrey rides as well. It was the start of my love affair with riding and the BMWRT.com folks. I know Fernando was at Torrey 2 since he was the one who talked me into seeing it before people knew what a Torrey was. Of the people that still go, I think Laney and Russell Bynum were there too, but not sure who else and please chime in if you were. It wasn't a big group, I want to say 20 ish people? I'd love to know who out of that original group are still here.

I'm not sure if I'll be able to ride up so if I have to I'll drive up, but I'll be doing everything I can to be there. 10 year anniversary of BMWRT or ST.com group rides to Torrey is a milestone for this community in my book.

I have only one question, should I bring my KLX250 or the GS?

I suppose what I'm saying is, who else might be doing dual-sport rides on Fri/Sat/Sun?

--

Mikko

I suppose what I'm saying is, who else might be doing dual-sport rides on Fri/Sat/Sun?

--

Mikko

Both?

I'll be doing some dual-sport but not sure which days. There is talk of a Burr Trail ride that will continue well beyond the paved area, but with the GS/Super Tenere bikes. If that takes place I'll ride that with my XT. It will be at a disadvantage on the road sections, but is fast enough to not slow the group too much. Your KLX would do well there and still give you the opportunity to ride some of the other strickly dual-sport rides.

Both?

Yo Edd! I'm trying persuade Camille to come with me but her work schedule might not allow it...

IF she can join then I'll load one bike per person onto the trailer. The Kendon doesn't really have enough space for three bikes. I need to decide which bike to bring for myself.

--

Mikko

Firefight911
Both?

Yo Edd! I'm trying persuade Camille to come with me but her work schedule might not allow it...

IF she can join then I'll load one bike per person onto the trailer. The Kendon doesn't really have enough space for three bikes. I need to decide which bike to bring for myself.

--

Mikko

Mikko, if it comes down to it, I can transport your bike as long as you can get it to Folsom.

Mikko, if it comes down to it, I can transport your bike as long as you can get it to Folsom.

And when I return to get my bike back would I still get the GS or would you have traded it for a Yamaha? :dopeslap:

Joking aside, thanks for the offer! Lets see how things start to fall in place. I'll keep offer in mind tough.

--

Mikko

Mikko, If I were you I'd bring the GS so you can experience both the dual sport and pavement routes too.

I've been humiliated before on "easy DS rides" lead by Monty, I'm going to make sure this time I at least show up with the right equipment.

Then again, riding the GS I'd have an excuse if I'd be eating dirt all the time :)

--

Mikko

lawnchairboy

I'd be happy to throw either the KLX or the GS into the dirt a few times for ya'....

threw some yamaha down out there a few times and couldn't kill it.

Both?

--

Mikko

So simple...

Your KLX and Camille's bike on the trailer with Camille driving the tow vehicle. You follow on the GS.

Well, simple up to the point where you tell Camille the plan.

Both?

--

Mikko

So simple...

Your KLX and Camille's bike on the trailer with Camille driving the tow vehicle. You follow on the GS.

I thought we were supposed to keep Mikko away from trailers. At least that is what Camille told me.

:dopeslap:

Both?

--

Mikko

So simple...

I thought we were supposed to keep Mikko away from trailers. At least that is what Camille told me.

:dopeslap:

You can't let sleeping dogs lie can ya?

Is JohnLT coming? Haven't seen him in forever

I think Mrs. LT should stop by the Vatican to be canonized for putting up with him for 50 years.
:rofl:

:thumbsup: Well played Ed.

But too bad John can't come out and play this time.

I've been humiliated before on "easy DS rides" lead by Monty, I'm going to make sure this time I at least show up with the right equipment.

--

Mikko

Last year, or maybe the year before, Eddd and I bravely scouted the Great Western Trail from Sand Creek up to the Fishlake Hightop, we both agreed we never wanted to ride that again. However, since then the nasty baby head boulder section has been pulverized. The incredible rainfall this year has made some sections interesting enough to be worth riding again. Eddd should lead a small band of hardy types up there while the GS wimps back out of the pathetically simple Notom Road :lurk:

--

Mikko

Last year, or maybe the year before, Eddd and I bravely scouted the Great Western Trail from Sand Creek up to the Fishlake Hightop, we both agreed we never wanted to ride that again. However, since then the nasty baby head boulder section has been pulverized. The incredible rainfall this year has made some sections interesting enough to be worth riding again. Eddd should lead a small band of hardy types up there while the GS wimps back out of the pathetically simple Notom Road :lurk:

And you wonder why the English Lost the War

Might have to bring the Jeep in the Spring.

I'm planning on making it this time. This'll be our first Torrey. Mrs. Groanup n I should be pulling in Friday afternoon and leaving Sunday. Figured on spending a day on the way home meandering south through Utah to St. George and spending the night there in preperation for an early AM "scoot through the desert while it's still cool" on Monday.

I'm really looking forward to riding in the area and meeting some of the characters I only know through posts.

We have a room at the Capital Reef Inn (I think it is...)

What kind of temps can we expect to run into? I'm gonna have to pack selectively since we will be two-up.

CoarsegoldKid

Don I wouldn't steer you wrong. Pack electric heat if available for the Mrs and yourself because the morning temps usually warrant warm gear. Pack a rain suit for the Mrs. if you want her to ride with you again. Pack one for yourself if you don't want to get wet. However you will dry off quickly if in the desert.

I don't always encounter rain in transit to Torrey but it has happened twice. I don't always encounter sub 30 degrees but it has happened twice. It will be hot across the Cal and Nevada deserts. Don't be surprised if you see 111 degrees along the way. You may be stopping frequently for ice water. Juanita packs her pockets with ice at every stop.

Pack the adult beverage you enjoy at home because it's Utah. Yes you can buy alcohol there.

Did I say it was going to be hot somewhere along the way. If I failed to mention it consider it done. Also if you can avoid LV during the hours you think anyone might be entering or leaving LV from or to California it would be wise.

I've only been there four times. SO I guess you have a 50% chance of not having the same experience.

Juanita and I will be at the Chuckwagon stop over and say hi.

Last year, or maybe the year before, Eddd and I bravely scouted the Great Western Trail from Sand Creek up to the Fishlake Hightop..... Eddd should lead a small band of hardy types up there while the GS wimps back out of the pathetically simple Notom Road

I'm gonna need a good map of that area.... Does triple-ay have have any useful ones?

--

Mikko

This Torrey will be the 10 year anniversary of BMWST.com public Torrey rides. The first public Torrey ride, Torrey 2, was fall of 2001 right after Glenoz tech daze. There was an exploratory trip with a small private group prior to this to see if Torrey was a good place to ride so that's officially Torrey 1.

I went to Torrey 2 so this is my 10 year anniversary of Torrey rides as well. It was the start of my love affair with riding and the BMWRT.com folks. I know Fernando was at Torrey 2 since he was the one who talked me into seeing it before people knew what a Torrey was. Of the people that still go, I think Laney and Russell Bynum were there too, but not sure who else and please chime in if you were. It wasn't a big group, I want to say 20 ish people? I'd love to know who out of that original group are still here.

I'm not sure if I'll be able to ride up so if I have to I'll drive up, but I'll be doing everything I can to be there. 10 year anniversary of BMWRT or ST.com group rides to Torrey is a milestone for this community in my book.

I'm part of the original group, and I'll be there. I should have a special guest in tow, a gentleman who used to work with me at the MSF, and who was in charge of implementing rider training in half of the U.S., and a Chief Instructor. So nobody fall over, OK?

He's a great guy and a good friend, and if someone mentions tequila in his presence, he will follow you like a hungry cat chases after a fisherman.

I'm planning on making it this time. This'll be our first Torrey. Mrs. Groanup n I should be pulling in Friday afternoon and leaving Sunday. Figured on spending a day on the way home meandering south through Utah to St. George and spending the night there in preperation for an early AM "scoot through the desert while it's still cool" on Monday.

Good idea staying in St. George. I tried doing the whole Torrey to LA ride on Sunday in May but I got a bit of a late start, and took some pics along the way at Red Canyon (I can't drive thru there without stopping). I got to St. George at about 1pm and thought well, I can make LA easily. Wrong. The traffic from LV to LA started backing up at about the state line, and by the time I got to Barstow I was beaten down. I still think I can make the run, but leaving early and not stopping for pics are mandatory.

--

Mikko

I'm planning on bringing my KTM 525

Figured on spending a day on the way home meandering south through Utah to St. George and spending the night there in preperation for an early AM "scoot through the desert while it's still cool" on Monday.

Don, When we left on Sundays and if the heat was unbearable we would stop in Mesquite, grab a cheap room, sleep until midnight - 3AM then hit the road and get through Vegas before the traffic gets ridiculous. Beat the heat and traffic. Rooms are around $29.

Look forward to seeing you and Mrs. Grownup (Alba?).

Just got off the phone with Arizona Al who did some gentle arm twisting to convince me that I should go. Soooo, I called the Chuckwagon and found out they still have some open rooms in the older, original section. Now all I have to do is convince the lovely Miss Debra to accompany me on her scoot.

I'm looking forward to seeing some old faces and meeting some new ones plus this will soothe my angst over bailing out of this year's UN. :thumbsup:

I don't always encounter rain in transit to Torrey but it has happened twice. I don't always encounter sub 30 degrees but it has happened twice. It will be hot across the Cal and Nevada deserts. Don't be surprised if you see 111 degrees along the way. You may be stopping frequently for ice water. Juanita packs her pockets with ice at every stop.

Pack the adult beverage you enjoy at home because it's Utah.

So then...

Stuff everything into the bags and use what ever we need... And get some ice...

Thanks Joe, I knew I could count on you! (why do I feel so confused?) ;)

I was always planning on coming on the RT but now Katy has decided she can work Torrey into her busy schedule so we'll be arriving in the Turd on Thursday and departing Monday. Looking forward to seeing you all! Torrey is like a family reunion twice a year. I love it.

Archived