IGNORED

Autumn Torrey Thread

eddd

Firefight911
I was always planning on coming on the RT but now Katy has decided she can work Torrey into her busy schedule so we'll be arriving in the Turd on Thursday and departing Monday. Looking forward to seeing you all! Torrey is like a family reunion twice a year. I love it.

Are ya bringing the bicycles that never leave the bed? :rofl:

I was always planning on coming on the RT but now Katy has decided she can work Torrey into her busy schedule so we'll be arriving in the Turd on Thursday and departing Monday. Looking forward to seeing you all! Torrey is like a family reunion twice a year. I love it.

Are ya bringing the bicycles that never leave the bed? :rofl:

I heard he's adding kayaks and some snow boards this time. He'll look 3 times as cool.

Hey Edddd and Phil.... give me a break, I have to justify owning a truck somehow!!

Sure looking forward to meeting little Amelia.

I'll be coming to Torrey this fall...but I'll miss the gathering by just a few days. My awarded vacation days don't start until Mon/26th, so I won't be there until Tues/27th. Torrey should be a ghost town by then, but it'll be a lot easier to find a hotel room!

I attended both gatherings in 2007, and Fall 2008...and in Fall 2010 I was in Torrey for one night, Wed/22nd, just as a few BMWs were starting to arrive. My vacation award timing has really been off for a few years.

This year I'll be riding my recently acquired FJR1300. My wife wants to go on some longer tours with me, but my RT-P is just way too old and high mileage (148K) to convert to a dual-seater. I'll still do some solo tours on the BMW, but the FJR will be the bike of choice anytime the wife wants to tag along. I've just added Sargent seats and a Givi V46 top-case, so she should have a pretty comfortable ride. She's heard me raving about the fall colors in Utah and Colorado, so she laid down an ultimatum...get another bike so she can ride with me. Who am I to argue? We'll spend two nights in Torrey, covering Fish Lake and Huntington Canyon, of course. Then we'll head east towards Moab, then spend a few days puttering around SW Colorado. A rest day in Durango might be in the cards as well. She's looking forward to it as much as I am. I think.

This Torrey will be the 10 year anniversary of BMWST.com public Torrey rides. The first public Torrey ride, Torrey 2, was fall of 2001 right after Glenoz tech daze. There was an exploratory trip with a small private group prior to this to see if Torrey was a good place to ride so that's officially Torrey 1.

I went to Torrey 2 so this is my 10 year anniversary of Torrey rides as well. It was the start of my love affair with riding and the BMWRT.com folks. I know Fernando was at Torrey 2 since he was the one who talked me into seeing it before people knew what a Torrey was. Of the people that still go, I think Laney and Russell Bynum were there too, but not sure who else and please chime in if you were. It wasn't a big group, I want to say 20 ish people? I'd love to know who out of that original group are still here.

I'm not sure if I'll be able to ride up so if I have to I'll drive up, but I'll be doing everything I can to be there. 10 year anniversary of BMWRT or ST.com group rides to Torrey is a milestone for this community in my book.

I was on the original Torrey outing and it still stands out in my mind as one of the best trips/rides of all time. The people, the riding, the scenery (even though it is in my back yard) made for an amazing weekend. I didn't miss a Torrey gathering for many years, but my participation has faded the last several years. I have only fired up my GS 3 times all year so far and I really need to take a ride. This may be the perfect excuse. No current plans to attend, but don't be surprised if I show up.

Hope to make it and see some good friends again.

No excuses accepted Andy. We will expect to see you in a few weeks.

I don't know why all you people think Ed is a "dope"....I for one think the man is a genius. He is my hero.

And Andy, you better be there, I know where you live!!

I heard he's adding kayaks and some snow boards this time. He'll look 3 times as cool.

He may need kayaks

The canal washed out in a couple of places after the hailstorm and had to be emptied so that it could be repaired.

Hail seems about right. On my way up there in May I left here in the pouring rain, had hail coming into Las Vegas, snow fall coming into Torrey, freezing temperatures, plenty of rain and high winds.

So I imagine by Sept 23 the roads up there will be icy.

See you then.

dc

The canal washed out in a couple of places after the hailstorm and had to be emptied so that it could be repaired.

Where does the canal carry the water to?

What makes it a canal and not a drainage ditch?

Not trying to be funny, just curious if it is used to transport water to a specific destination.

I've never been able to make it to Torrey but just cleared a few things on the personal and work calendars and have a strong desire to be there. What are my options for finding lodging this late in the game? Doesn't sound like tent camping is a good idea?

Not trying to be funny, just curious if it is used to transport water to a specific destination.

It's an irrigation canal that taps off the Fremont River west of Torrey and runs right through the middle of town and out to the alfalfa fields hidden between the town and the cliffs on the east side. I don't know where it eventually ends up, guess I'll find out, probably empties into Sand Creek out there. I have a share of irrigation water which has to flow through two neighbour's yards before reaching mine, this year there has been plenty of water!

I've never been able to make it to Torrey but just cleared a few things on the personal and work calendars and have a strong desire to be there. What are my options for finding lodging this late in the game? Doesn't sound like tent camping is a good idea?
ose

Call the Chuckwagon,

Also there is the Boulder View

Capital Reef Inn

Days Inn

All of these are within easy walking distance to the Chuckwagon

It's an irrigation canal that taps off the Fremont River west of Torrey and runs right through the middle of town and out to the alfalfa fields hidden between the town and the cliffs on the east side. I don't know where it eventually ends up, guess I'll find out, probably empties into Sand Creek out there. I have a share of irrigation water which has to flow through two neighbour's yards before reaching mine, this year there has been plenty of water!

So during dry years, do you have skirmishes with the neighbors over the amount of water that gets to your yard?

We are having problems with our water well. I think it is because of the drought and all the new people moving into our area, drilling their own water wells.

I keep reading that in a few years there will be wars over water instead of oil...

So during dry years, do you have skirmishes with the neighbors over the amount of water that gets to your yard?

Not yet, one of them doesn't have a share and the one next door is OK, I agreed to make sure her trees got enough water and control the flow into and through her yard. I also maintain her ditches which is really her responsibility but most of her ditch system exists for me to get water.

The amount of water in a 'share' is determined annually by the snowfall and runoff in the supply and that translates into having the ditch gate to my system open for certain hours each week. This year there is so much water it seems to be unlimited, can't get it out of the canal fast enough! The real battle is with the other people who use the river, like those down in Hanksville (48 miles east), they somehow have first dibs on a lot of water and have been talking about selling it to a melon farmer in Green River (100 miles away), he will build a pipeline! Who would have thought that melons could be that valuable? That's why the fight will be over water in years to come, as it was in the not too distant past of course.

Canals deliver water from a source to a user. Drainage ditches collect water from runoff and deliver the water to a collection point, a lake or river or dry pit. Canals are designed for constant volumes of water, ditches are designed for a maximum flow event which generally gets exceeded at some point.

Yesterday I canceled my room @ the Chuckwagon because my Krew &I will be touring NoCal instead of going back to Torrey.

Last year Alex, (Green ZX12 R ) swept Kim (waitresses at the Capital Reef Cafe ) off her feet and is now very much in love and living in Monterey with him. So it's been decided to stay a little more local this time.

Of course I have my usual room already booked for next year up there and very much look forward to seeing you guys again in May 2012.

All of you have a safe and wonderful time.

Sorry to say Hopz and Susie are not going to make this Torrey either.

Anyone needing a room at the Chuck Wagon PM me so I can tell the nice people at the front Office that (--- fill in the blank---) would like to have my room for this event.

Anyone needing a room at the Chuck Wagon PM me so I can tell the nice people at the front Office that (--- fill in the blank---) would like to have my room for this event.

We have previously agreed that unused rooms will be returned to the pool so that the waiting list works properly.

Bummer. :(

Can Susie send the ipad?

:grin:

I have been asked to clarify some things...

My invitation to find a room reservation substitute, by name, was not intended to be "cronyism". I didn't limit it to any "crony" I might have. It was an attempt to maintain my spot on the permanent reservation list by offering a substitute.

Our "drop out" this time was because we have planned the California Coastal Trip we have had to cancel each of the last three years. This time, things have aligned so the trip is on. We leave on Thursday.

We will miss seeing so many of our friends and of course miss meeting those we have not met previously. We will miss the autumn colors, the fine rides the great food and social hours at the CW.

Lets hope this cancellation will not take us off the list.

From talking to Michelle previously I don't think you will lose your long standing reservation as long as you let the CW know in plenty of time, I will go over there and talk to her if you would like me to. If you just don't show up or if you call the day before you will be struck off!

I will go over there and talk to her if you would like me to. If you just don't show up or if you call the day before you will be struck off!

Thanks Bob, but I will call today or tomorrow and work it out...

Anybody looking for a roommate? I'm traveling solo, no Team Schnauzer Tour Bus this time, and I haven't booked anything yet. Arriving Friday afternoon, departing Sunday morning early.

Hey Brian, it's Barry from Las Vegas. I started at Torrey 3 with the characters you mentioned. I have not been on the board for many years but will be passing through Torrey and staying at the Chuck Friday night. Lot's of good karma picked this weekend for me to travel. Had no idea this this was your weekend at Torrey until I found Fernando's face on the Gerbings website this morning. Hope I can bump into some of the great great people that make the Torrey experience and BMWST so warm and fuzzy. Barry

ps I'm the RT with the dingle balls

One of these years I'm gonna be able to make the Fall event...ya see, I got this "salt" thing happening each year.

Enjoy yourselves. Toss one back for me. Awaiting pic's as usual.

MB>

Hi Kathy, left the Windy city? I owe you a huge hug. I never told you how cool I thought you were for traveling as far as you did, mostly alone through dark and cold and wet and bugs etc.... I grew up riding 100 mph with my hair on fire, then stared to hang with some unsavory folks like Glen and the other hoons. I'm happy to say I've pretty much reformed my evil ways and have just become a peaceful traveler. No scraping boots or hard parts, just enjoying the moment on 2 wheels, like you when we first met, Thanks Barry

This will be our first Torrey event and all I've ever heard is how pretty the area is but I don't recall state highway numbers or specific locations to ride to. We're arriving the Thursday afternoon and leaving early Sunday morning. How do we maximize our two riding days??

One day should be spent going down UT12 to the very end - don't turn round at Bryce, then come back up 12. The other should be spent riding up and down UT72, Sweeper Madness, and round the Fish Lake loop, repeat until new tyres needed.

Joe Frickin' Friday
This will be our first Torrey event and all I've ever heard is how pretty the area is but I don't recall state highway numbers or specific locations to ride to. We're arriving the Thursday afternoon and leaving early Sunday morning. How do we maximize our two riding days??

Suggestions:

South:

UT12 down to Bryce Canyon and back, about 240 miles IIRC. Lunch is available at Bryce Canyon before backtracking. Scenic overlooks within the park, if you don't mind a 30-mph cruise through the park itself. Traffic there should be lite, since school is in session.

Shorter ride is UT12 to Boulder, then turn left on Burr Trail Road. The pavement on BTR ends after about 30 miles, but it's a pretty spectacular 30 miles through weird rock formations and a very tight canyon (though the final ten miles are less amazing). Lunch is available in Boulder.

Northwest:

Take UT24 to Lyman/Loa, then UT72 north. This stretch is the famous "Sweeper Madness." At I70, continue north on UT10, flat and straight (though somewhat scenic), until you hit Huntington. Then take UT31 west for a spectacular twisty ride in the mountains to Fairview. Lunch is available in Fairview before returning the same way.

Shorter ride is a couple of miles up UT72, you turn left (can't remember road name) to go to Fish Lake. Near the south end of Fish lake on UT25 there's lunch available - or at least there was back in 2007, don't know whether the restaurant is still there.

East:

Take UT24 through Capitol Reef Nat'l Park, then at Hanksville turn south on UT95. There's a long straight stretch, but eventually you'll start slaloming through a canyon, and come out of it at Hite overlook (if you need a real bathroom, stop first at the Hog Spring rest area). Continue on UT95 to Blanding (or detour down to Mexicna Hat) for lunch before backtracking.

For exact distances, you'll need to plot these out with mapping/GPS software.

One day should be spent going down UT12 to the very end - don't turn round at Bryce, then come back up 12. The other should be spent riding up and down UT72, Sweeper Madness, and round the Fish Lake loop, repeat until new tyres needed.

If there's still time do Burr Trail. Enjoy.

Riding up on UT72, you can continue past I70 on UT10 which is boring, but in Huntington you take UT31 to Fairview which is beautiful and this time of year shows the Aspens in full glory. This is a nice one day trip with lunch and gas in Fairview.

how bout 143 from Panguitch to Parowan....

any recommendations....? Looks like you can hook up with cedar breaks from 143 and head back via 14/89/12...

Take a look at the calendar and the Torrey page. It lists some local rides.

dc

Wow! Boy, do I ever feel like a big dummy. In all the years I've been a member here I've never noticed this valuable resource. To everyone else who took the time to respond to my request for info, I'll definitely factor in your comments with the ride routes.

Side note to Hopz: Dude, wish you was coming this year. The clerk at the local liquor store noticed my fake ID and confiscated it. It's been dry here for a while and I was hoping you'd show up with some adult beverages.... :/

Hey Brian, it's Barry from Las Vegas. I started at Torrey 3 with the characters you mentioned. I have not been on the board for many years but will be passing through Torrey and staying at the Chuck Friday night. Lot's of good karma picked this weekend for me to travel. Had no idea this this was your weekend at Torrey until I found Fernando's face on the Gerbings website this morning. Hope I can bump into some of the great great people that make the Torrey experience and BMWST so warm and fuzzy. Barry

ps I'm the RT with the dingle balls

Hi Barry. I remember you and the dingleballs. You were Gleno's friend/insurance agent right? If I'm there I'll definitely say hi.

Vacation Approved. Brake bleeds and clutch bleed this weekend. Officially excited. Does anyone know if the foliage will be happening? Are the leaves starting to turn yet? Sure was spectacular two years ago. Regardless, will be great to see all you fine folks again. Anyone leaving from the Southern Cal area on Friday?

Vacation Approved. Brake bleeds and clutch bleed this weekend. Officially excited. Does anyone know if the foliage will be happening? Are the leaves starting to turn yet? Sure was spectacular two years ago. Regardless, will be great to see all you fine folks again. Anyone leaving from the Southern Cal area on Friday?

Hi Dennis! :wave:

The Missus and I are heading out From Pasadena Early Friday (3-4)AM. This is my Planned route

A bit early in the day I know, but you're welcome to join us (or meet up somewhere along the way). PM me if you so desire

Lots of good suggestions on what to ride when you get to Torrey. But you've got some spectacular roads between the Springs and Torrey. May I suggest taking 50 across to Montrose, south to Ridgway. Or 160 across to Durango then north to Ridgway.

From Ridgeway, go west on 62 to 145 west to 141 south to 491 into Utah at Monticello.

Go south to Blanding and take UT95 north from there. Left onto UT 24 and into Torrey.

I sometimes travel from Torrey to Montrose, and that ride is absolutely spectacular and incredibly diverse. It challenges UT12 for diversity, the difference being that UT12 takes 2 hours and the route I gave you takes almost 6. Yeeha!

Since eddd started this thread it is only right that he has already been to Utah.

How many days???

I have way too much to do before I get on the Katoom.

I have way too much to do before I get on the Katoom.

My Multi is still in the shop awaiting plastic panels. Who knew it would go down with simple panels availability!

Archived