IGNORED

Where in the world is Couchrocket now?

Couchrocket

bakerzdosen
Montecello....Thomas Jefferson's home........ :)
I'm guessing that's close, but it looks wrong. How about Montpelier (James Madison's home)?
Montecello....Thomas Jefferson's home........ :)
I'm guessing that's close, but it looks wrong. How about Montpelier (James Madison's home)?

Remarkable resemblence, and some pic show it in the same brickface, but if it is there have been some major structural revisions to the wings. Still, the doorway, the clerestory arched window, and central portico design are dead on. Here is a typical pic of Montpelier... I just don't think these could be the same building.

20-020.jpg

Sorry for the delay guys. Montpelier is correct. Bakersdozen (Name?) got it first.

Jan, your picture of it is prior to the restoration work. The last owner, a Vanderbuilt make that DuPont, willed it be returned back to it's Presidential era after her death. It took some time in accomplishing that task as they had to dig up the history on all the changes that occurred in that residence. I toured it a couple years ago while they were plastering the wall ... with the original compounds. The rooms we saw that were still wet would need another few weeks to cure properly. It was fascinating.

bakerzdosen

Alright, let's try this one:

roadandtrees.jpg

Unless you're familiar with the road, you're probably not going to get it.

So, I'll just say this: The general region of the state or nearest city (and the state obviously) will be sufficient to win. The road/hwy number will merely be bonus points.

If you really want to, you can search the site and probably find where someone recommended this road to me... I didn't come up with the idea of riding it on my own.

Oh, kinda a fairly wild guess, but I'm thinking maybe that's coming down out of the Sierras into L. Tahoe... or it could be just about 100 other places too...

bakerzdosen
Oh, kinda a fairly wild guess, but I'm thinking maybe that's coming down out of the Sierras into L. Tahoe...
Not in Nevada

or it could be just about 100 other places too...
Well, probably not. There are only a few states with that type of terrain. Add to the fact that I've ridden it on my bike, and the list goes down. I just crossed off Nevada and the Tahoe area, so...
It looks familiar.
Yeah, looks like the Million Dollar hwy but, I can't seem to match it on Google maps.

Pat

bakerzdosen

No, and yes. :)

I said "The general region of the state or nearest city (and the state obviously) will be sufficient to win" so you win. It is in SW Colorado, but it's actually 139 (Douglas Pass Road) just north of Fruita/Loma and Grand Junction.

You're up.

skinny_tom (aka boney)

Some of you may have already seen this pic somewhere else.

829768576_ttk4B-L-1.jpg

Looking for county, appelation, and a varietal grown there.

skinny_tom (aka boney)

Lake County, North coast, Zinfandel

Too far north.

Too far north.

Napa County, Chiles Valley Zinfandel, or Cabernet

skinny_tom (aka boney)

Too far north.

Right county. Still too far north.

skinny_tom (aka boney)

Too far north.

Right county. Still too far north.

BzzzzzzzzzzT!

Time's up.

Here's another:

802382552_abGT3-L.jpg

The Lincoln County War......Capitan New Mexico....Tunsall was a rancher and I think Sweeney was too.........Part of the Billy The Kid saga.....

No Google, honest...... :grin:

Right idea..

They were owners of the "new" mercantile store. Billy worked for them. It was their deaths that started the Lincoln County War. Billy was an avenger.

The "Original" mercantile paid the local law to kill em.

Billy wasn't happy with the decision.

Your up...

Larry......Please fill in and do another....I've got to leave and don't want to hold this important session up..... :rofl:

Thanks......Phil

OK......Here's one.......

DawnEnhanced.jpg

Mt Whitney?

You bet Jan.....Taken from Lone Pine at dawn.......

You're on.............

Are you sure this is Whitney :S:S

In this image......

001_24-668569-1.jpg

my buddy Doug is pointing to the summit.

Huummmmm.....You might be right Eric.....Looks like it is mountains a little to the left of Whitney (Mt. Williamson maybe)......I took it from the Frontier Motel just as you come into Lone Pine....Your's looks like you were standing in front of the Dow Motel in town....

Closies count though.......... :grin: Jan takes over.........

.....You might be right Eric.....

Might be right?????

I did not spend the previous 2.5 days lugging 35-40# for 50+ miles at elivation no less then 9.5k to not be sure :P:grin:

017_8-668569.jpg

018_7-668569-1.jpg

Note the twin columns/fingers in the background of this image....

007_18-668569.jpg

These are just to the South of the summit & can be clearly seen in the image of Doug pointing to the summit.

Your's looks like you were standing in front of the Dow Motel in town....

If my memory serves me, I snapped this image in front of the Ranger station which is on the East side of 395.

Not sure what was/is on the West side.

Take it away Jan.

bakerzdosen

OK, since Jan has bowed out of this thread, he said it's fine to continue, so, without further ado:

jk.jpg

As a side note, those actually IN the picture are exempt from guessing its locale. :) And yes, this is a tough one if you've never been there, but I know SOME of you have been there.

bakerzdosen
St. John's Florida?
Need to be more specific. Normally, that'd be enough. However, this detail is pretty important. :)
Firefight911
St. John's Florida?
Need to be more specific. Normally, that'd be enough. However, this detail is pretty important. :)

La Familia de Sturgis?

Archived