IGNORED

Website updates and changes

drswift

Boney,

This page is basically your's and Phil's to decide content.

My thoughts are to include route sheets, maps, and GPS files for a variety of suggested rides, on & off road. This content can be uploaded as it is ready to go.

Some sort of version control will likely be needed so folks can check back periodically and determine what has been changed.

I am guessing there will be a lot of activity on this page up until the actual event.

Bob, an Admin upload/add/remove feature will be needed for this page. This page is not critical to launching the web site for registration and can be left as TBD for now.

Tom,

we should get together sometime to go over how the content should be presented/formatted/etc.

FYI, the GS has Heidenau K60s and is ready to go off road. So am I now. Maybe we can do some pre ride, camp, overnights in the spring.

Should I make a few teaser routes in Google Maps that can be shown in an iframe?

Also, the links on the attractions page show up, they're just showing up as plain text and not hyperlinks.

I think we can wait a while on routes at this point. I'll be seeing PHil on Satruday to discuss time lines. There's also three other volunteers to help with routes.

skinny_tom (aka boney)
Should I make a few teaser routes in Google Maps that can be shown in an iframe?

I think we can wait a while on routes at this point. I'll be seeing PHil on Satruday to discuss time lines. There's also three other volunteers to help with routes.

I'm not a fan of "under construction" web pages. (actually, if you really want to know what I think, it shows that the site was published before it was ready.) IMO, we should at least give the site visitors and/or potential attendees some information on that page, even if it's just a map with picture links and a message that says "check back, we're too busy riding/scouting to get anything else done."

I've been messing around with some Google Map stuff. I think it's a good generic place to make a web based map with links that everyone can view across all platforms.

Google Map This can be edited to allow collaborators so that we can at least take a few minutes each to upload some pictures of the area.

I like that idea as a place holder. :thumbsup: We have a few days to do something basic, and that's a good teaser. You and Phil can run with it. The routes section is your baby.

I like that idea as a place holder. :thumbsup: We have a few days to do something basic, and that's a good teaser. You and Phil can run with it. The routes section is your baby.

ditto! :thumbsup:

skinny_tom (aka boney)

ditto! :thumbsup:

Okay, then let's do this... I can add ya'll as collaborators, and you can add points and photos OR you can tell me where (almost exactly) pictures were taken and point me to the URL and I'll put 'em in.

The nice part, is that I'm sure we have plenty of photos of the area, between the many of us, to put up something good.

Bob, I'm sure you can see what I did. Sorry to rip off your coding, but it was the only way I could see to make an example...

This is perfect! I like the photo links - way cool!

At some point you guys need to start a new post just for Routes on this Planning Forum.

Regarding GPS food waypoints, lets us know what is the best way to send them to you.

So the map resides off the UN website with just a linky? (Just curious on the technicalities) :S >

skinny_tom (aka boney)

Right now the map is a "my map" in Google. It can be viewed by anyone but changed by only me and those whom I invite.

The easiest way to get waypoints to me is in a garmin "gdb" file. I can take any other foramts too, and convert them with a handy utility called GPS Babel. (it's good for converting to the kml that google likes.) I don't know what Phil is using, but I suspect it's Mapsource as well.

Bob, I'm sure you can see what I did. Sorry to rip off your coding, but it was the only way I could see to make an example...
No problem, looks great. Shall I just insert that right now rather than doing it through an admin tool?
skinny_tom (aka boney)
No problem, looks great. Shall I just insert that right now rather than doing it through an admin tool?

Whatever makes your job easier.

I think the registration process is largely complete leaving:

a) Page to enter payments

b) Page for users to edit existing registrations

c) Finish paid-up report page for sending to hotel

d) fix 2a above

e) allow direct editing of entries in admin grid

f) t-shirt design contest

g) Rides page

h) Attractions page

a) - admin can now enter payments directly into grid - however I think it would be good to have a comment field as well for things like check#, date etc. Will do that.

b) Admin can now edit directly in grid - is this sufficent?

c) Added the phone number, probably needs better formatting

d) done

e) done

f) need input

g) Boney's map inserted

h) Dave's list inserted

I think this is enough to launch the page?

I'll clean out the dummy entries.

Bob,

Leave the dummy entries for now.

I'm going to check out the site and will be adding dummy entries.

Will let you know as soon as I'm through.

I'm contacting Dave to have him do same.

Bob:

Basic content looks great. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: I didn't add any more registrants, but what you have seems to be working well.

As far as the t-shirt contest, probably the easiest way to deal with it is right now is to wait until after the main Unrally website goes live. Once that happens I'll do a separate post on the Board for the t-shirt contest. Then, you can add the widget I sent you to the Home page, linking it to the post on the Board (hope that made sense).

I still don't get a highlight on the word "Register" in the left hand table of contents on the home page, but the link works fine. (No big deal, just wanted to point it out.)

Again, great job. Thanks for all you hard work!!!

I've run through the site and have to agree with the others that it looks fantastic!

Thanks for all the hard work!!

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

I still don't get a highlight on the word "Register" in the left hand table of contents on the home page, but the link works fine.
Yes, I had a quick look at that but haven't figured out what to do - it's not a real link, it calls a javascript function to clear any existing cached data on the web page so that people who press register again (like 1bmwfan did) after just registering get proper behaviour (i.e. start fresh).

1) Home page:

1a)WAS: RV campsites (some with pull-thru) are also available.

IS:RV campsites (some with pull-thru) are also available at Topaz Lodge

2) Attractions page: How to apply edits/Updates? Also need to add "Please come back often, updates will be posted as they're created!" as on the Rides page.

3) Admin pages: What is security going to be?

4) Registered Guests - Admin page:

4a) Reg# sort s/b numeric rather than alpha.

4b) Status sort needs reg# as second field in sort.

4c) Update (refresh) button would be nice as paid status doesn't change unless page is refreshed.

4d) Drop down list with possible selections would be nice for Staying At, Arriving, and Departing columns.

5) Comment: No capability to correct quantities/amount has been added to the admin pages. How do we handle if someone decides they would like another shirt, etc?

6) Paid Up List Page:

6a) Needs to be sorted last name, then first name by default. Column sorts would be nice to make it easy for lodge staff to find name they're looking for.

7) Are all pages with personal info blocked from search engines?

Looking good, Bob!

Thanks!!!

1) Home page:

1a)WAS: RV campsites (some with pull-thru) are also available.

IS:RV campsites (some with pull-thru) are also available at Topaz Lodge

2) Attractions page: How to apply edits/Updates? Also need to add "Please come back often, updates will be posted as they're created!" as on the Rides page.

3) Admin pages: What is security going to be?

4) Registered Guests - Admin page:

4a) Reg# sort s/b numeric rather than alpha.

4b) Status sort needs reg# as second field in sort.

4c) Update (refresh) button would be nice as paid status doesn't change unless page is refreshed.

4d) Drop down list with possible selections would be nice for Staying At, Arriving, and Departing columns.

5) Comment: No capability to correct quantities/amount has been added to the admin pages. How do we handle if someone decides they would like another shirt, etc?

6) Paid Up List Page:

6a) Needs to be sorted last name, then first name by default. Column sorts would be nice to make it easy for lodge staff to find name they're looking for.

7) Are all pages with personal info blocked from search engines?

1) done

2) For the moment we'll have to do it by sending/posting the file, I promise same day service and I'll work out a better scheme.

3) If you want I can add username/password access, already have it on a couple of other sites. But how will anybody know there is an admin part of the site anyway?

4a) Will do Monday

4b) The grid sort mechanism can't do that but I think I can do it in the DB view, will look at on Monday

4c) Can add refresh but all money related things should be done on a different page really - see 5.

4d) drop down list in grid or on registration page or both?

5) yup, need that. Guests need to be able to update their records with security as well.

6a) OK, I thought you were going to print the list for them - will they look it up online? Or just a fixed sort for the printout?

1, 2, Good.

3, Call me paranoid, but I would like user name/ password protection on admin pages which allow altering of paid status or order quantity status. Only Dave and I should need access.

4a, 4b, Good.

4c: When will this page be ready? What do you have in mind?

4d: on grid, so if administrative edits are needed, it's a click to change rather than typing (or cut/paste) the full lodging choice or day.

5) Guests should have no edit capability once registration is submitted. Any changes can be made upon PM request by guest to Dave or I.

6) A fixed sort will be fine. The lodge has requested email, but I'm going to try to get them to work with the web page directly as I think that will be more timely for all involved.

7) Good!

Thanks again, Bob!!!!

Under 'Attractions', A&S BMW link does not work.

Also, we should add Dubbleju in the rental link section.

Cycle Specialties needs the M in Modesto to be capitalized.

Bob/Michael:

A few thoughts:

1.) I agree with having the Paid Up list page be in column format. How about the Registered (Public) list as well?

2.) Will these lists be easily exported to Excel or txt format?

3.) Michael - are you going to start a new post to announce the site? If so, you might want to reiterate the new process regarding making room reservations.

When the site is ready and Bob switches the URL over, I will start a new post in the UN-IX forum. I will re-iterate the registration process at that time.

I will also notify Topaz Lodge and provide necessary links. (I advance warned them of imminent activity this morning.)

Bob,

Can you take care of this? Once everyone agrees there are no more critical issues we can make the switchover.

I'm more concerned with getting it right than with meeting today as a target.

(besides, that will teach Phil not to give those sort of "infamous" hints :grin::wave: )

Also, what masking are you referring to?

Bob,

Can you take care of this?

Also, what is masking?

Sure. Masking means that the URL in the address bar will remain unrally.com after forwarding - if you enter it now the URL changes to vitara.com

Bob, that change happened after the original host site became infected with a virus that the host owners did not respond to in a timely manner. The site was moved to vitarara mid way through the registration period.

Bob, that change happened after the original host site became infected with a virus that the host owners did not respond to in a timely manner. The site was moved to vitarara mid way through the registration period.
Shouldn't be affected by masking, I expect David will know the technical reasons he didn't mask it.

Also, on the home page, the 2009, 2008, and 2007 Unrally pages from the vitara site should be embedded into the UN-IX site, not just linked. I'm sorry if I wasn't clear earlier.

Also, on the home page, the 2009, 2008, and 2007 Unrally pages from the vitara site should be embedded into the UN-IX site, not just linked. I'm sorry if I wasn't clear earlier.
I'll have to coordinate with Mark to see if that's possible, he used some tools to create the site which isn't just static HTML. From Facebook I happen to know he is on a business trip.

There's a catch on the unrally.com situation, David says it was transferred to Les with the hosting account but that the ownership records were never updated which means that neither of them can change the forwarding. He has arranged to transfer the domain to his business account and will forward it but it will take a couple of days for the transfer to go through (this is normal).

(besides, that will teach Phil not to give those sort of "infamous" hints :grin::wave: )

No it won't! The monkey's are restless and the ducks will never all get in a row. Just sayin'!

He has arranged to transfer the domain to his business account and will forward it but it will take a couple of days for the transfer to go through (this is normal).
David says this may be complete by the end of the day.
He has arranged to transfer the domain to his business account and will forward it but it will take a couple of days for the transfer to go through (this is normal).
David says this may be complete by the end of the day.

There's still hope, Phil!!!

I've done most of the stuff we talked about, David says the domain has been switched over and should be propagating the new forward around the net, hasn't reached me yet. I think we are ready to go even if not actually complete.

Bob,

Re: Registered Guest - Admin page.

1) Were you going to create a new admin page for entering paid status or altering order amounts? (4c & 5 from above).

2) I don't appear to be able to alter/edit the paid amount. Using Reg#8 as my sample, First entered total amount paid on tweety. Amount accepted but paid/unpaid status did not change. Next, set paid amount to 0. Amount accepted. After that, unable to get either Tweety or BW to accept the amount.

edit: Can get to accept amount paid if entered for each individual as opposed to once for all under a common registration number. Fine with me.

Whoops. I was almost going to OK.

Paid Up List - Admin Page is not reflecting change in paid status from the Sign Up List (Admin) page.

Bob,

Just as a heads up, once all the issues are resolved and we're ready to go live, I'd like a little time to notify Topaz Lodge.

Please coordinate with me.

Also, what will the link be for TL to check the paid up list?

I'm hoping it will be something on the order of:

www.unrally.com/paid or something equally simple for the lodge folks to use.

Archived