IGNORED

Website updates and changes

drswift

Committee: here's the link to the development site: UNRALLY IX - WIP

Bob:

After reviewing with Michael, here are a few changes for the site:

1. Move first line of home page ("There's gold...") above the photo/slide show. Change to a Bold, san serif font to run as a headline.

2. On registraton page, change prices for short sleeve shirts to $12, and long sleeves to $17.

3. On the payment page, change "Dave Smith" to "Dave Swift."

I'm working on copy for the t-shirt contest that can run as an included page of the website, linked from a widget on the home page.

Thanks again for all the great work.

Looks great!!!!!

Thanks for all the efforts on this.

NICE!!!!

Bob's coming SIX TIMES!!! Along with his friend burpy something or other. Wow!!! This is gonna be a heck of an event.

Bob:

I posted the copy for the T-shirt contest on the Office Live Unrally directory. I'd like to do a widget on the left side of the Unrally home page, using some catchy type face in a button that links to this copy. The actual copy could be a page on the website, or I can make it a separate post on the UnRally Forum page and the widget could link to if. If we go that way then obviously we'll have to wait until the Unrally website is up and running and then post the announcement for the t-shirt contest. Your call on whatever is easiest.

First attempt at a UBB table showing current registrations

First Name Last Name Board Name     City        State Arrival Date Departure Date Staying at               First name (2) Last Name (2) Board Name (2) First Name (3) Last Name (3) Board Name (3) First Name (4) Last Name (4) Board Name (4)
Bob        Palin     killer         Torrey      Utah                              TLH_MN                                                                                                                                                       
Bob        Palin     killer1        Torrey      Utah                              TLH_MN                   Janet          Borg          Squirrel                                                                                               
Bob        Palin     killer3        Torrey      Utah                              TLH_MN                   Janet          Borg          Squirrel                                                                                               
Bob        Palin     killer4        Torrey      Utah                              TLRV_MN                  Janet          Borg          Squirrel                                                                                               
Bob        Palin     killer5        Torrey      Utah                              TLC_ON                                                                                                                                                       
Bob        Palin     killer6        Torrey      Utah  Monday       Thursday       Topaz Lodge Hotel - own name                                                                                                                                    
test       another   nobody         adsf        ca    Monday       Thursday       Topaz Lodge Hotel - own name                                                                                                                                    
Flobby     MacDuff   fm             Luton       CA    Monday       Thursday       Topaz Lodge Hotel - own name                                                                                                                                    

Bob,

1) Lets keep to one column of records (as opposed to 2 columns shown). This will break up different surname couples though. Is this a problem? Is there an easy way to link?

2) "Staying at" column header should be "Expect to stay at" or equivalent as this information will be set before the registree is actually able to reserve lodging.

3) Change "Date" to "Day" for arrival/departure field headers.

Thanks Bob!

Not exactly sure what you mean by 1) - if you mean list the guests on their own line - that would be very difficult because of the way I've set it up where one registration has multiple names, maybe I'll figure that out later. (I originally intended to have each guest register but then you asked to have multiple registrations)

2&3 OK

Here's the latest

Unrally 9 Admin page

As far as I can tell registration is working other than a couple of tidy up things like the phone number.

I have several more pages on the way, things like summing up all the ordered T Shirts and caps etc. You will be able to directly edit the entries in the admin version of the registration list as well as delete entries and look at list of paid and unpaid, generate email lists from selections in the grid etc etc. The grid has built in sorting when you click on the title cell for a column.

Most of the code in the system is data driven and not specific to Unrally 9 so we should be able to use it for future Unrallies, Torreys and DVDs as well as any external events. I do intend to continue development and offer it both as a program and a service to other events and have several in mind.

However, I don't have a lot of time in the next 10 days, a few hours Sunday and Monday then I'm headed to Torrey, Flagstaff and on to Phoenix next weekend for a big corporate meeting with Whip.

I will be doing some of the clean up things like adding links on all pages and the missing pages and the T shirt contest page as soon as I rescue the info from MS Live.

Try it out and let me know what you think.

Not exactly sure what you mean by 1) - if you mean list the guests on their own line - that would be very difficult because of the way I've set it up where one registration has multiple names, maybe I'll figure that out later. (I originally intended to have each guest register but then you asked to have multiple registrations)

2&3 OK

I haven't re-looked at the site yet, but each individual should be a seperate registration record. Multiple registrations can be combined in one cart to make payment a single transaction for one or more registrants. I guess there would have to be some sort of an index to link the multiple registrants to the single payment.

Bob,

After looking at the latest admin pages:

Suggestion (I'm open for better ideas!!!):

Add a registration# column. All registrants paid for in single cart get the same registration number. Each registrant's fees are shown with that registrant. Possibly on the admin page a subtotal by registration number (if >1 registrant/reg. #).

The signup and extra pages look good pending the changes you have already commented.

The public UBB registration page: At this point I'm not sure why this is UBB. I think the original plan had been to maintain the public list on the bmwst.com site, but now I don't see any reason not to just embed it in the unrally.com site.

I think you are already aware, but if not:

We do need a flag indicating (payment received and TL notified) on the public registration page so people know they can call their lodging reservation in.

Also need a list of Names of registrants that can be exported for emailing to TL. (Last Name, First Name, City, State, Expected lodging type.)

Thanks, Bob.

Michael/Bob:

Regarding the registration number, is that something only we would enter at our end after receiving payment? Weoculd always send them an email notification with the number.

The system already issues a registration number at the bottom of the confirmation form. I'm thinking I will put an "Add Another Guest" button on the confirmation form which will then bring up the registration form again but with the same registration number. Payment/order reports will then be based on registration number rather than guest name.

Please confirm that registered people may order as many T-shirts as they like, I think in the past we may have had an informal limit of 1 per? (i.e. you could only get a shirt if you went to the Un)

UBB - I'll leave it in there just in case now that it's done, I agree that the live grid on the Un site is a better place to view details, I'll add a 'payment recieved' column. Can I assume that people can only pay in full? i.e. registration & extras all at once.

The system already issues a registration number at the bottom of the confirmation form. I'm thinking I will put an "Add Another Guest" button on the confirmation form which will then bring up the registration form again but with the same registration number. Payment/order reports will then be based on registration number rather than guest name.

Please confirm that registered people may order as many T-shirts as they like, I think in the past we may have had an informal limit of 1 per? (i.e. you could only get a shirt if you went to the Un)

Bob,

Registration number... I like your idea.

Regarding shirts...

What has past practice been?

Do we wish to limit to one shirt per registrant? One long & one short per registrant? Other? no limit?

I had anticipated no limit, but am open to whatever is most desirable.

Bob did bring up a good point as for as registered no-shows. Shirts/extras are paid for, but no shipping is included as pickup is expected to be at the Unrally. How do we wish to handle registered no shows?

I am assuming charge shipping (flat rate Priority Mail makes sense to me) to those that still desire their extras.

A statement to this effect needs to be added to the registration page and customer receipt.

"Extras to be picked up at Unrally, or additional shipping charges may be required prior to shipment."

UBB - I'll leave it in there just in case now that it's done, I agree that the live grid on the Un site is a better place to view details, I'll add a 'payment recieved' column. Can I assume that people can only pay in full? i.e. registration & extras all at once.

Yes, Payment must be in full.

I don't really see why we wouldn't allow people to buy as many shirts as they want, it all contributes to the board if there is anything left over - right?

Michael/Bob:

Regarding the registration number, is that something only we would enter at our end after receiving payment? Weoculd always send them an email notification with the number.

Dave,

What value do you think this adds to the process? What problem does it solve. Who would use this post payment number? I am not understanding why you wish to do this.

I don't really see why we wouldn't allow people to buy as many shirts as they want, it all contributes to the board if there is anything left over - right?

Yes.

I say, let them order whatever they want.

I don't mind sending out email confirmations as the checks come in. The Paypals are even easier.

The issue of no-shows won't be significant, considering they are paying the initial fee and not getting anything else. If they happen to order a bunch of goodies we can deal with that on a case-by-case basis.

"Extras to be picked up at Unrally, or additional shipping charges may be required prior to shipment."

How about:

All merchandise to be picked up at UnRally. Shipping provided at cost after the event.

How about:

All merchandise to be picked up at UnRally. Shipping provided at cost after the event.

That works for me!

don't mind sending out email confirmations as the checks come in. The Paypals are even easier.

Dave,

It's not whether one minds or not.

Please help me understand what you are trying to accomplish.

Specifically:

What event triggers the email?

Who is the email sent to?

What is the email accomplishing that the web site isn't, or why is the email better than the web site?

What is the email accomplishing that the web site isn't, or why is the email better than the web site?

When I get a check I'll send a confimation email. It's just another "service" we can provide.

The website will still have the registration confirmation info as well.

Is there an issue I'm not seeing?

The latest version of the registration form is ready for testing, it puts multiple names under one registration number and assigns the total costs to the first one entered so that they can be paid all at once. I think I need to add a 'finished' button that presents a unified registration confirmation with all the names added.

Currently the admin view of the signed up list presents each registration twice due to a SQL bug I haven't figured out related to the 'paid' column. I have to leave for Torrey very soon so will have to continue tomorrow.

Please give the registration process a try out and see if it's workable once I fix the above.

Bob:

Just ran 4 names. Three registered as staying together. All got same registration # (4). Also, the cost total on Registration Page Order Form shows 0.

When I get a check I'll send a confimation email. It's just another "service" we can provide.

The website will still have the registration confirmation info as well.

Is there an issue I'm not seeing?

As long as the web site is also updated before you send the email it should not be a problem.

TL must be able to verify registrant payment before any email is sent.

I assume you are taking it on faith that the check is good, and not waiting for it to clear the bank?

Bob,

What I saw on the registration form looked good.

On the registration form, I would add the instructions for multiple guests that are currently on the summary page, revised for the button suggestionos below:

I.e.: For each person, fill out information in form below then add to cart. When all persons have been added, checkout.

I would change the register button label to " Add to Cart" and add a "Checkout" button.

Checkout button would go to a summary page of all registrants & items with a total amount.

Summary page would have buttons to edit (to correct mistakes), confirm, or cancel.

Confirm page would determine payment type and payment process to follow.

Also, none of the registrants should be added to the registered guest page until the confirm page process has been completed.

Bob,

When you get ready to start working on the Attractions page,

let us know.

We have a web_links excel spreadsheet on the office-live site but it needs a lot of work.

I'm thinking we'll need an admin page to add sites on the fly.

I assume you are taking it on faith that the check is good, and not waiting for it to clear the bank?

I assume we will have an Admin page to enter the confirmation updates as checks come in.

As far as checks clearing, that could be a week with some out-of-town banks. I think we can trust that at least 99% won't bounce and deal with the baddies as necessary. (Send out Big Louie to break some legs!)

To whoever entered Fred and Wilma - I've been working on the registration all afternoon, it's not quite ready yet!

Barney did it!

To whoever entered Fred and Wilma - I've been working on the registration all afternoon, it's not quite ready yet!

Bob: I'm the guilty party. Mea culpa.

Bob,

Thanks!

Comments:

1) Home Page:

1a) Prior unrally links should point to existing unrally.com content, not bmwst.com.

1b) Change weather link to Topaz Lake, NV.

1c) "Registered Guest" link in "Important..." paragraph is broken.

2) Registration Complete page:

2a) Guests are being entered into list twice. Once with status "unpaid" and once with status blank.

2b) Link to home page needed.

3) Registration Complete page:

3a) Emergency Contact field is showing partial phone number and no name only.

Looking good!!!

What is the estimate for completion?

Thanks again,

Michael

Bob:

On home page:

Copy changes for "Important" section should read:

***** IMPORTANT!!! *****

You must be registered and payment of your UnRally fees received BEFORE a lodging reservation will be accepted by Topaz Lodge. Please do not contact the Lodge until this step is completed.

On registration page

Shopping Cart: we need a notation that shirts are all men's sizes. Also, add "Reflective" to Decals.

Admin page, Sign Up List:

Looks like same registration number is being generated for person 1-10 and 2-10.

I have a friend doing a little GIF in a 2 inch box for the T-Shirt contest that can go on the home page, left column. As soon as I get it I'll forward it to you.

Looking good! Great job.

Dave,

1-10 and 2-10 registration number is OK. 1-10 and 2-10 should get the same registration number as I created them in the same cart.

So if you came along later and entered 2-10, they would get a unique registration number as a spouse, but if registered together they wouldn't. I thought each individual gets a unique reg #.

So if you came along later and entered 2-10, they would get a unique registration number as a spouse, but if registered together they wouldn't. I thought each individual gets a unique reg #.
That's correct, each 'registration' gets a number. To add another guest to a registration later would require editing an existing registration, I am going to do that page but it's a corner case so is lower priority. In fact in the DB every guest has an ID - I just don't expose that and wouldn't use it for anything in the UI.
Bob,

Thanks!

Comments:

1) Home Page:

1a) Prior unrally links should point to existing unrally.com content, not bmwst.com.

1b) Change weather link to Topaz Lake, NV.

1c) "Registered Guest" link in "Important..." paragraph is broken.

2) Registration Complete page:

2a) Guests are being entered into list twice. Once with status "unpaid" and once with status blank.

2b) Link to home page needed.

3) Registration Complete page:

3a) Emergency Contact field is showing partial phone number and no name only.

What is the estimate for completion?

Michael

1a - done for the 3 I have

1b - done

1c - fixed

2a - this is actually a reporting error, data is OK, looking into it.

2b - there is one at the bottom, added one to the Registered Guests page.

3a - fixed

Completion - it will never be finished!

I think the registration process is largely complete leaving:

a) Page to enter payments

b) Page for users to edit existing registrations

c) Finish paid-up report page for sending to hotel

d) fix 2a above

e) allow direct editing of entries in admin grid

f) t-shirt design contest

g) Rides page

h) Attractions page

Sorry this has taken so long, I'm working on it whenever I can but today I have to catch up on some other (paid) projects. I think the bulk of it is done and there is a good chance we can be finished this week.

Bob:

On home page:

Copy changes for "Important" section should read:

***** IMPORTANT!!! *****

You must be registered and payment of your UnRally fees received BEFORE a lodging reservation will be accepted by Topaz Lodge. Please do not contact the Lodge until this step is completed.

On registration page

Shopping Cart: we need a notation that shirts are all men's sizes. Also, add "Reflective" to Decals.

Admin page, Sign Up List:

Looks like same registration number is being generated for person 1-10 and 2-10.

All done.

The 'Signed Up' report is now correct, you can see from the entries for William and Mary Tell that when William paid $60 Mary's bill was marked as paid as well.

Bob:

Nice work.

I'm not get a highlight when I put the cursor on "Register" button, top left of Home Page like the other buttons, but the link seems to work okay.

Also, all the type from "IMPORTANT" to bottom of the Home Page got changed to boldface. Just the words **IMPORTANT**, BEFORE, and CHECK-IN: need to be in bold.

Just added more dealers and rental sites to Web Links (the content for "Attractions" web page) on the Office Live shared site. This page should be ready to roll.

I'm sure we'll find more add more stuff to add later as needed.

Just added more dealers and rental sites to Web Links (the content for "Attractions" web page) on the Office Live shared site. This page should be ready to roll.

I'm sure we'll find more add more stuff to add later as needed.

Could you save that as html for me, I don't have a version of Office that can read the 'x' files. I can copy and paste it but it would be easier to just get it in a usable format.
skinny_tom (aka boney)

Sigh, I can't believe that John and Jane Doe aren't coming.

Seriously though, the page looks good. Is there anything you're looking for on the rides page? Should I make a few teaser routes in Google Maps that can be shown in an iframe?

Also, the links on the attractions page show up, they're just showing up as plain text and not hyperlinks.

Archived