IGNORED

Excited Chatter Thread !!!

SAMSAR

Hi Everyone!!!

We're getting close!

I've been lucky enough to be riding the planned routes recently and I believe you are really going to enjoy them too. We’ve made some tweaks here and there to fold in all the best riding we’ve found so far. Of course, every time we go up, we always seem to find a new road that is too good to pass up… Last time it was RT113 through Evan's notch.

Of course, to get there from my house in Connecticut is a short 200 mile trip up I-91 to St. Johnsbury and then east for another 50 miles along Rt.2 just past Lancaster. With the excitement building, I couldn’t sleep much the night before, so the bike was all packed and ready to go in the morning.

IMG_1099.JPG

In late April, there was still snow on Mt. Washington which I could see in the distance, even as the farmlands were greening up in the valleys.

IMG_1102.JPG

IMG_1105.JPG

IMG_1107.JPG

As I got closer to the Presidential Mountains - Adams, Jefferson, and Washington never looked more majestic. I found myself thinking this family’s home has a million dollar view and the roads to go with it!

IMG_1109.JPG

IMG_1114.JPG

Upon arrival at Roger’s Family Camping Resort and Motel (current owners are Crosby & his son Randy). I quickly realized that our views aren’t that bad either! Since they weren’t even open yet, I had my choice of sites and liked this RV one for my tent.

ADF5C4CE-0392-4B00-B9AA-1C84F9403BBC.jpg

IMG_0053.JPG

From there, I could see the building which will serve as our UN HQ. Registration, Bulletin Boards, Ride Gathering Points, Group Meals, and Bon Fires will all be here. All the doors can be either completely opened like a gazebo or closed up if the evenings are cool that week.

IMG_1119.JPG

IMG_1122.JPG

IMG_1128.JPG

The views are pretty good from the motel rooms too, as well as, the tent sites! You can also see that UN HQ is just a couple hundred yards away.

IMG_1130.JPG

IMG_1131.JPG

IMG_1134.JPG

The coffee shop will be open each morning and we will host a hot breakfast here or in the UN HQ on Wednesday morning.

IMG_1133.JPG

For those people staying at the Cabot, UN HQ is just around the bend.

IMG_1215.JPG

And, for those people staying at the Coos, you are a couple more miles away but right next to Dunkin Donuts and the Discount Liquor Store.

IMG_1211.JPG

IMG_1213.JPG

That afternoon and the next day I began to check out the routes we had developed in Garmin’s MapSource over the winter. It was cool, cloudy, there was still ice on the lakes, and snow banks along some of the road. But, I was really looking forward to riding after a long winter of ice in the driveway that kept me landlocked.

But that story is for another day…

I was excited already! Now I am REALLY excited. I was there last week and Paul is understating the scenery and the roads -- they are beautiful area.

Can't wait to see you all there. I leave in 17 days! :thumbsup:

Dave, I was wondering when you were going to begin your odyssey. Hope to see you at the MOA rally. We'll be at the Quality Inn and Suites in Johnson City, arriving Wednesday afternoon. I know you'll be camping on-site.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yesterday I took a 300 mile ride up and back through the White Mountains, my first ride since hip replacement in May. What a beautiful day and what gorgeous scenery. I was too busy riding and taking it all in to snap more than one picture but it’ll give you an idea of what to expect when you come to the Un next month.

20090712whitemtnride002e.th.jpg

I stopped by Roger’s Campground in Lancaster – what a beautiful setting with wonderful views of the mountains! Congratulations to Paul and the Organizing Committee for selecting such great spot. I also stopped by the Coos Motor Inn which is more centrally located in town within walking distance to a grocery store and various fast food outlets. It seemed very nice with large, well-equipped rooms, but no views to speak of.

So, the countdown continues….. Looking forward to seeing everyone and to some excellent rides in and around northern NH next month! :grin:

Eric

Nice n Easy Rider

Eric,

Sounds like your hip held up pretty well, especially for your first time out post operation. You must have followed your physical therapist's directions well.

Thanks for the information and for getting me even more excited about getting up to Lancaster than I already was. See you there. :clap:

Thanks for the report! It reminded me that I had not posted a few of the pictures I have from a couple of the recons. :dopeslap:

IMG_1148.JPG

IMG_1165.JPG

IMG_1170.JPG

IMG_1183.JPG

IMG_1196.JPG

IMG_1192.JPG

IMG_1206.JPG

IMG_1209.JPG

IMG_1197.JPG

IMG_1195.JPG

IMG_1198.JPG

IMG_1204.JPG

IMG_1205.JPG

IMG_1208.JPG

IMG_1147.JPG

IMG_1152.JPG

IMG_1179.JPG

George,

The hip is awesome! And, yes I did everything the therapist told me to do. She was a sweet gal and I just couldn't refuse her.... :dopeslap:

See you in Lancaster!

Eric

I've got a lot of work to do before I can leave. . .

But, I'm still excited. . . New shocks shipped yesterday (I'm really ready to get back on the RT :clap:) and new headset thingies arrived from Starcom1, so we can restore bike to bike communication. Got us some new tire-sies in the garage to be mounted on said RT's. . . :clap:

SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET!!!!!!!!!!!!! :clap:

I've got to get back out in the garage and put Maynard back together! If he sees these pics without his tupperware on I'll get the stink-eye for sure! :eek:

Got a valve adjustment, throttle body synch,and oil change at the Jacksonville tech days a couple of weeks ago. Changed the final drive oil last night and I am putting some new tires on tonight. Counting the days....Tick..tick...tick

Paul Mihalka
Hey, "Old Fart"!!!! How many days until lift-off?!?!?!?!?! :clap:

Are you talking to me? Too many days! I don't need much preparation. Bike is always ready for a easy two day ride - but I wish it was tomorrow! It will be great to see y'all again! :thumbsup:

It's a tough problem, I want to get about another 8000 miles on the RT this year (to 100K) before I hand it off to a friend to learn about sport touring. The RT needs a tune up, but the GS needs a tire.

I'll flip a coin later...

I want to get about another 8000 miles on the RT this year (to 100K)

Let's see... 3,000 miles round trip, plus another 2,000 miles in mapped out routes at the UN while you are there. Throw in a Fall Torrey and you're done by October! :Cool:

Finished a major service during the evenings last week - 96,000 km. Oil, tranny, final drive fluids. Oil and fuel filter (when am I going to make the external modification?). Wheel and control brake and clutch circuit flushes. New alternator belt - turns out the dealer had given me the wrong one (elastomer) to carry as a spare a year ago. Valves, TB synch. Purred like a kitten afterward.

Linda and I went on a "shakedown" ride of 400 km over Highwood Pass yesterday. The RT ran smooth as could be. Stopped at the Chuckwagon Diner in Turner Valley for the newly voted best local hamburger. Yum.

Five more days of work, then one day off before I go hiking in the Rockies for 5 days. Home 24 hours to clean up, load the RT on the trailer and blitz to Moncton, NB for a couple of days of visiting friends and then a leisurely 2 day ride to Lancaster.

Spent all today making reservations for a trip back to Moncton stopping at many lighthouses on the Maine coast and a quick run around Cape Breton (opposite direction of a few years ago).

Going to be a busy next few weeks.

Mike Cassidy

Gosh, about 400 miles and I'm there. Maybe I should ride back and forth a few times to make me feel like I went somewhere :rofl:

Kathy, come on out to the west coast and join the Pied Piper run!

That is an excellent idea, BUTT, I have to fly to Chicago Aug 5 and am flying back Aug 9 and jumping on the bike and heading to NH. Otherwise, you can bet I'd be surprising you PP's on your ride east.

I'm SO happy so many of you are riding out. TIGTBSMF :clap:

I want to get about another 8000 miles on the RT this year (to 100K)

Let's see... 3,000 miles round trip, plus another 2,000 miles in mapped out routes at the UN while you are there. Throw in a Fall Torrey and you're done by October! :Cool:

All I need is time and money... Brilliant Paul! I'm thinking it's about 1200 up via John's place, I'll get in about 1000 while I'm there and then another 1100 home. All I really need is for these tires to last that long!

TIGTBSMF This is going to be so much fun! +1

Mounted new PR2 on rear, new sprockets and chain ordered. Still on fence if I will change out my handlebar for stocker with heated grips.

We are pointed towards Detroit Lakes, MN for PP joinup, will keep a watch for any changes to route while enroute. :-)

Oh, just noticed on the map that we will be going right by "Boundary Waters Wilderness Canoe area", wonder if I could fashion a trailer to pull my Merlin38 stripper I built a couple of years ago? Naa, no distractions, back to bikes.

loaded.jpg

TIGTBSMF :S

This Is Going To Be So Much Fun!

Take a look at my license plate frame and I'll tell you all about it over a cold one at the UN :thumbsup:

Wow, Dave nice canoe and how did you know my TIGTBSMF? Or are you just one of those young kids who know every acronym the minute you see it?

Nice n Easy Rider
Oh, just noticed on the map that we will be going right by "Boundary Waters Wilderness Canoe area", wonder if I could fashion a trailer to pull my Merlin38 stripper I built a couple of years ago? Naa, no distractions, back to bikes.

loaded.jpg

Absolutely beautiful. I've always admired the wood ones but they must be so much more special when you've built it yourself. :thumbsup:

Thanks, this was my 3rd canoe and 3 sea kayaks, probably my last. It came in around 50 lbs which was my goal, makes for easy loading and handling by myself. Have yet to haul a deer in it tho, maybe this season.

TIGTBSMF :S

This Is Going To Be So Much Fun!

Take a look at my license plate frame and I'll tell you all about it over a cold one at the UN :thumbsup:

Deal!!!!! :grin::wave:

Hey Kirsten!! Get your butt over to the Excited Chatter Thread so's I can post more inappropriate pics like this...

My butt can't be here... I've got to go into HQ in DC on the 10th and then boogie up to NH and set-up my tent :thumbsup: I'll be lookin' for a cold one when I get there (unless it's like it was up there just two weeks ago, frickin cold).

Cheers all and Richard, I got 'em with me :D

Cheers all and Richard, I got 'em with me :D

Richard will have his :grin:

Gosh, I hope so :)

Can't wait to see you all ... it's been too long!

:rofl:

Did someone tell Spike about this ride? Too much fun!!! :grin:

25152555_qn6Cc-L.jpg

( . . . and that look on Mitch's face is kind of freaking me out! :eek::rofl: )

:)

Can't wait to see all you carzys again... wait, doesn't that make me a bit off center too?! Oh, shoot!

What's the official "Excited Chatter Post" doing seven deep already?!?!?! :eek:

T-Minus 12 hours and counting . . . the Pied Piper Rides AGAIN!!!!! :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Archived