IGNORED

UnRally VI: September 4-6, 2007 - West Virginia

Mark Menard (Vita Rara)

Ok! Ok! The natives are getting restless, and I've been buried with work.

We have not announced the "exact" location of the next Un yet. We are finalizing arrangements with local purveyors of rooms, tent sites, cabins, food, etc. When all of that is complete we will announce the location, reservation info, etc.

Our plan is to do this in two stages. We will post a pre-announcement, the only purpose of which will be to say when we're going to announce the location. This way everyone will know when to keep an eye open for the details, and have an equal shot at hotel reservations, etc.

Until then... think of twistie roads, beautiful mountains, great people, and did I mention great roads.

Take care,

Mark

So this is a pre-announcement that there will be a pre-announcement of when there will be a announcement of the location and more details grin.gif Man, you sure know how to stretch us over the coals grin.gif I'm sure it's more than worth the wait thumbsup.gif By the way, Mark and Sylva, many thanks for doing this. Unorganizing a Unrally is a lot of work!

Paul,

Yours is the first official recognition of the notification of the first pre-announcement prior to the announcement. Since I noticed your recognition of the notification, that makes this post a post-pre-recognition of the notification of the pre-announcement to the announcement. wave.gif

Hats off to all who are organizing this great event. thumbsup.gif

Looking forward to seeing the T shirt design. Will buy 2 this time.

Burt, you will not be getting an invitation in the mail, this is it right here. All are welcome, just remember to bring a kidney belt and tissue. These people will keep you in stitches laughing till your sides ache and the tissue to wipe the tears from your eyes. It's a blast getting together at the UN. thumbsup.gif

Well if your planning something in my backyard, you can bet I'll do my best to make it. thumbsup.gif

I second that! Too close NOT to attend... now how to break it to the wife.... Ding! "Honey. Wanna take a nice ride with me???"

Burt, you will not be getting an invitation in the mail, this is it right here. All are welcome, just remember to bring a kidney belt and tissue. These people will keep you in stitches laughing till your sides ache and the tissue to wipe the tears from your eyes. It's a blast getting together at the UN. thumbsup.gif

I'm looking forward to it. The only thing I've attended so far was El Paseo this past April, and I had a great time.

Just got my annual vacation days reserved for late August through September 18th! WooooHoooo!!! We are "GO" for Lift Off! clap.gif

So, who's up for the Pied Piper Tour on the way out and a detour to NYC/Ground Zero for September 11th, on the way home? wave.gif

Just got my annual vacation days reserved for late August through September 18th! WooooHoooo!!! We are "GO" for Lift Off! clap.gif

So, who's up for the Pied Piper Tour on the way out and a detour to NYC/Ground Zero for September 11th, on the way home? wave.gif

Lucky you! Our department has placed a hold until the end of January for any and all vacation and station bids! bncry.gifdopeslap.gifeek.gif

We go to city council on January 23rd for formal approval to bring up the new engine with the requisite promotions!!! grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Regardless of that, I am so IN!!! In the absence of vacation dates, I will coordinate trades.

If all works out well, the entire month of September will see this as a 343, UN, US Exploration, SS1K. and more extravaganza!!

Just have to see what I do it on???? Hee, hee.

If all works out well, the entire month of September will see this as a 343, UN, US Exploration, SS1K. and more extravaganza!!

I think you forgot a four corners ride and, of course TORREY on your way home! smirk.gif

Just have to see what I do it on???? Hee, hee.
What, you don't think you'll get that poor ST put back together by AUGUST?? Jeeze, Phil--if you only spent half the time WORKING on it as you do CLEANING and POLISHING it, I think you could easily be done by Texas Hill Country in March! lmao.gif

See you there! wave.gif

IN!!!

NYC/Ground Zero...................Can you do something about all those Cabs........and people.

http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/707838/page/0/fpart/1/vc/1

Whip

Tom, If you come over to the east coast I will make it up from Fla. thumbsup.gif
Oh SURE!! We're 4.5 hours further West--what are we, chopped liver??!! lmao.gif
So, who's up for the Pied Piper Tour on the way out
Pardon my ignorance, but what is it?
No worries, Ken--I haven't ever been on one myself so I'm no expert, but I'll tell you the little I know (and maybe some other "old timers" can fill in the details! smile.gif ):

Many years ago during the infancy of this DB (BBS, back then! grin.gif ), there was a BMWMOA rally in Redmond, OR and a bunch of hoons from here decided to meet up there. It was kind of a pre-cursor to the UnRally concept. They came from far and wide and some, instead of all just converging on the rally from all diverse points, decided to swing by each others' houses en route and pick up another member with each stop until they had a long train of bikes all arriving together. I still had no bike at the time, but I remember reading the 'Planning and the 'Tales and eyeing Kris' "famous" pic of all the bikes strafing through a curve and thought: "That sure sounds like a FINE idea! Someday, I want to do something like that!" cool.gif

I wish I knew the entire history, but I'm pretty sure Tom Roe, Gleno, Kris, and a few other senior hoons here had a major part in organizing it! thumbsup.gif

So, who's up for the Pied Piper Tour on the way out

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pardon my ignorance, but what is it?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No worries, Ken--I haven't ever been on one myself so I'm no expert, but I'll tell you the little I know (and maybe some other "old timers" can fill in the details! ):

Ah, I get it! Well seeing as certainly some people will passing through the middle when going left to right, we'd be game!

I can't believe Sept. is nine months away, and Christmas day Donna and I were sitting around scheming about a big old bike trip. A trip east hitting some spots along the way, a stay at the UnRally, then off on a meander up through Maine, New Brunswick to Nova Scotia and Newfoundland. That's was what we were dreaming about anyway. grin.gif

If we do take that approach it will mean only one BMWST gathering for us in 2007 though. frown.gif

Hummm... Choices, choices... So many tires, so little time...

Calvin  (no socks)

Ok....Ok... sorry about that....er uh... If ya'll come I'll...I'll.... ride an old air head up from Florida... yea.. thats what I'll do... an old airhead on an old airhead.... dopeslap.gif

Ok! Ok! The natives are getting restless, and I've been buried with work.

We have not announced the "exact" location of the next Un yet. We are finalizing arrangements with local purveyors of rooms, tent sites, cabins, food, etc. When all of that is complete we will announce the location, reservation info, etc.

Our plan is to do this in two stages. We will post a pre-announcement, the only purpose of which will be to say when we're going to announce the location. This way everyone will know when to keep an eye open for the details, and have an equal shot at hotel reservations, etc.

Until then... think of twistie roads, beautiful mountains, great people, and did I mention great roads.

Take care,

Mark

So this is a pre-announcement that there will be a pre-announcement of when there will be a announcement of the location and more details grin.gif Man, you sure know how to stretch us over the coals grin.gif I'm sure it's more than worth the wait thumbsup.gif By the way, Mark and Sylva, many thanks for doing this. Unorganizing a Unrally is a lot of work!

121709180-S.gif121709175-S.gif121709165-S.gif Details?

texasaggie97

Jamie,

If you guys are going to ride then I am going to start looking to take the time off. So if I ask off for west Virginia when would we leave and return and what is the cost of this trip usually. I would love to make a across counrty trip. So please let me know what I need to make this trip.

I am getting excited about all these trips.

hmn....weeeeelllllll......

nope. just wait a little longer and we'll start with some teaser pics so you can guess the location lmao.gif

Paul Mihalka

nope. just wait a little longer and we'll start with some teaser pics so you can guess the location lmao.gif

Sylva, I did not expect that you had a mean streak! From Mark it would be no surprise, but you? smirk.gif

Sylva, I did not expect that you had a mean streak! From Mark it would be no surprise, but you? smirk.gif

Paul, It's probably Mark posting under Sylva's name eek.giflmao.gif

Jamie,

If you guys are going to ride then I am going to start looking to take the time off. So if I ask off for west Virginia when would we leave and return and what is the cost of this trip usually. I would love to make a across counrty trip. So please let me know what I need to make this trip.

I am getting excited about all these trips.

Hi Todd!! wave.gif

WARNING--this distance touring stuff is heavily addicting! grin.gif

I usually pick my one big annual vacation for the UnRally, so I've got almost a month. We're slowly forming up plans to do a Pied Piper Tour on the way out (see above a few posts), and depending on who joins up (and where they live), and the bikes/riders/day-miles-range of those along for the ride it would be hard to say now what the time and cost of the trip would be. Figure if you're a newer touring rider on a GS riding with a bunch of nutty IronButt types on RT's, cross country trips can become a bit harder to stay together--but NOT impossible by any means! There are many folks here that cross the country on all manner of bikes--even smaller/more naked than yours--in less time than we do! thumbsup.gif

If you figure the "short" way would be 3000 miles and we do 500-800 mile days, you're looking at 4-6 days out. If we go by way of Arizona, Utah, Texas, Kansas, Arkansas, Florida to West Virginia . . . we could double that mileage starting in California, so we'd either need to double our miles per day or double our days we allot for the trip! dopeslap.gif

That's roughly $60-80/day for gas, plus $20-100/day for lodging (a LOT of variation here depending), $20-100+/day for food (same large variation as lodging), miscellaneous expenses: trinkets, snacks, water/gatorade on the road, museums, UnRally costs (we usually camp at the UnRally)

Leslie and I generally bring camping stuff on these trips just to help with expenses (hotel lodging will take a big chunk out of your budget) and we bring food for breakfasts and lunches in a cooler (eating out three times a day is another budget killer as well as making us gain a pound a day while on the road! dopeslap.gif ). You can roughly figure out miles to figure the cost of gas which is probably the only variable you don't have much control over (though your mileage will go up when you leave California and its oxygenated gas behind tongue.gif ).

If we have our own sleeping bags and pads, we can stop by to visit friends en route and just ask for a corner of the living room/garage to flop down on. We can either travel in more style or travel more miles to more places.

Phil and I are planning on stopping by NYC and Ground Zero for September 11th on the way home and hopefully getting to visit "Eff" in his element! grin.gif

Sorry I can't give you a bunch of particulars, but each person has to figure out their own comfort level and individual problem solving. I would suggest trying out different solutions on smaller trips out here before August (like DVD, NorCal Tech Daze, Texas Hill Country, Torrey, etc.). For instance, try to get to Torrey in one day instead of two and see how you do (always being willing to stop short if you don't feel well). The trick is getting your bike so well set-up that it is comfortable enough for you to look forward to getting in the saddle each day--not dreading it--and you can enjoy the scenery, the cameraderie and the fun miles as they fly by and not just suffer through them.

Let's stay in touch on this and if you'd really like to make the trip out with us I'm SURE we can make it work out and you'll have a great experience that you'll look back on fondly for the rest of your life! clap.gif

Paul Mihalka

Just as a possible guide line I have my own travel cost estimates. I try to take one yearly "long ride". Goes from Maryland to somewhere West. Torrey/Cody/Gunnison/Vancouver.

Usually two weeks, incl. attached weekends, 16 days. This old body does not camp, but all I need is a bed and in-door plumbing. That means small towns, Super8, Motel6, or local small mom-and-pops. I am every night in a different place, except at my main goal where I spend two/three days and take a rest. My estimate is $120/day. Gas $30: 500miles/40mpg=12.5gal/$2.40=$30. 500 mile average is a lot, and I use regular gas. Hotel: $50 a night. Yes, there are some $30/40 motels out there. Food $30: Minimal breakfast (some times included in motel price), minimal lunch, good dinner. $10 for misc. stuff. As they say, YMMV!

texasaggie97

Jamie & Paul,

Thank you very much for your advice in this matter and I want to start looking at what I need to plan for to make these trips. I love riding and I ride now by myself 700 to 800 miles a day on the weekends. I have done 1000 miles in a day and that was tough but I was ready to ride the next day. I would like to try for my butt burner gold here some time in the close future. What i have learned from your post is that i need to start saving more for these trips. Having a ministry job is great fun and flexibility but not a lot of pay. Thanks and I look forward to riding with you. If I can not make this trip this year you will see me next.

Blessings Todd

Mark Menard (Vita Rara)

From me?!?!?! blush.gif

Well, anyway, stay tuned, Sylva and I are solidifying plans, both wedding and Unrally.

Mark

Firefight911
Well, anyway, stay tuned, Sylva and I are solidifying plans, both wedding and Unrally.

Mark

Ha, ha!!! I knew it. Wedding at the UN!?!?!?!?!?!?

Everyone start practicing your slow riding technique for the processional.

Da - daa - du - dah . . . grin.gifgrin.gif

If you need singers, Whip will be all warmed up after Kumbaya in Death Valley!! thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

Mark

Ha, ha!!! I knew it. Wedding at the UN!?!?!?!?!?!?

Everyone start practicing your slow riding technique for the processional.

Da - daa - du - dah . . . grin.gifgrin.gif

If you need singers, Whip will be all warmed up after Kumbaya in Death Valley!! thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

My singing has been known to make healthy people sick to their stomach... eek.gif

My singing has been known to make healthy people sick to their stomach... eek.gif

Make a music CD, "The Whip Diet". Make a million, buy us all a beer at the UnRally. lmao.gif

Mark Menard (Vita Rara)

Oooh boy, have I stepped in it. dopeslap.gif

Sylva and I will be happily married before we get to the Un. Now, if all you guys and gals still want to practice your slow speed precision riding, who am I to refuse! There's a fairly wide road near the Un HQ. Maybe we could get a parade permit. tongue.gif

Mark

Lone_RT_rider
There's a fairly wide road near the Un HQ. Maybe we could get a parade permit.....

In West Virginia wouldn't that just involve buying the local Sherriff a 6 pack? grin.giflmao.gif

Shawn

Paul Mihalka

A wide road in West Virginia? It's name is probably "Robert C. Byrd Boulevard". grin.gif

Not trying to do politics, but he must be the "Patron Saint" of WV.

I can't say that I'm a great Robert Byrd fan, but he really takes care of his constituents and we get to see that in some of their roads that we've had the pleasure to enjoy. And, thirty years ago at least, he was quite a mean fiddle player.

Oooh boy, have I stepped in it. dopeslap.gif

Sylva and I will be happily married before we get to the Un. Now, if all you guys and gals still want to practice your slow speed precision riding, who am I to refuse! There's a fairly wide road near the Un HQ. Maybe we could get a parade permit. tongue.gif

Mark

Maybe not a parade but we certainly will need to plan a special celebration dinner or something to officially welcome Slyva to our unoffical gathering of board member!: clap.gif

I'll be there so there's one more from WV. I wish it were a little farther though. smile.gif

There is allways Spring Torrey for you - and next year the UN is most likely to be in the west again.

Andy

I'll be there so there's one more from WV. I wish it were a little farther though. smile.gif

There is allways Spring Torrey for you - and next year the UN is most likely to be in the west again.

Spring Torrey, as in Utah? I'll be in Torrey Utah late April with my DR650. Not a sport touring bike though.

Joe Frickin' Friday

Andy

I think it ought to be in Bowland or Isle of Man one of these days.

We're slowly forming up plans to do a Pied Piper Tour on the way out <snip> If we go by way of Arizona, Utah, Texas, Kansas, Arkansas, Florida to West Virginia
Yes! thumbsup.gif
We're slowly forming up plans to do a Pied Piper Tour on the way out <snip> If we go by way of Arizona, Utah, Texas, Kansas, Arkansas, Florida to West Virginia
Yes! thumbsup.gif

If you go thru Kansas then you would also go thru Illinois and I'm only 5 miles south of I 64 which goes directly to W Va thumbsup.gif

My place could either be a rest stop, overnight stop or just a pick up Bud stop. clap.gif

If you go thru Kansas then you would also go thru Illinois and I'm only 5 miles south of I 64 which goes directly to W Va

Also Rt. 50 runs across the country from CA (I believe) NV, UT, CO, KS, MS, IL, IN, OH, WV. I rode 50 from WV through Colorado last summer. It was mostly 2 lane and for the most part not congested. Quite a pleasent ride. Except maybe western Kansas and eastern Colorado.

Archived